Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 2 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry if i missed it, but what information exactly has to be engraved into the lower? i didnt see it on the form 1 at all
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Abbreviated Name and location.  1/16" high and .003 " deep.
ex.
J. Smith
Akron, OH

or

J. Smith
NYC, NY
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
kinda makes a SBR receiver worthless to transfer huh?
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 1:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_SBR] [#4]

Originally Posted By bagged:
kinda makes a SBR receiver worthless to transfer huh?

If ever want to do away with my SBR, I'll strip the lower down and stick it in the safe.  It'll take up less space that way.  If I want to put it back into service it won't take long.  

I'll take this lower to the grave.  

You can sell and transfer them legally, but why?  It has my name and city on it.  Who else would want it marked that way?  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 1:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jercdevil] [#5]
Do the SBR have to be built on a preban lower. I would assume so otherwise you could not have an telescopic stock. I have to very nice preban colts in the safe,but I would hate to take a engraver to them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 2:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#6]

Originally Posted By jercdevil:
Do the SBR have to be built on a preban lower. I would assume so otherwise you could not have an telescopic stock. I have to very nice preban colts in the safe,but I would hate to take a engraver to them.

I see this was answered below and it is on page 1 of the FAQ...

quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/shortbarreledriflefaq.pdf
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it has to be on a PREBAN lower, unless it is being made as a Semi-automatuc Assault Weapon receiver that is being made into an SBR...  
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello,

Thanks for all the time you spent compiling the information!  A true help to all.  

I have one question that seemed not to be answered...  I am in the military and therefore I am forced to move frequently - can I take an SBR with me?  I know there could be problems with moving to a state that prohibits SBRs, but can a person move with a legal SBR after receiving a tax stamp?

Thanks so much!
Spooky
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, you can take an SBR with you (usually).  You need to write the BATF a letter saying that you are moving.  If the state is NFA friendly, no problem.  You can not move an NFA weapon into a nonNFA state.  You do not need to get an approval from the BATF to move, you just need to inform them.  You do not need to change the engraving of the SBR because the engraving is where it was officially manufactured (hence the form 1).  If you take the SBR across state lines temporarily, you also need to notify the BATF but there is a form for it, 5XXX.20 (I can't remember the number).
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
The CLEO can be a problem when it comes to getting the signature. If that happes there are other people that can sign such as the local DA, Judge, Sherif, etc.

Quarterbore - Can a federal LEO sign the form, such as a military Provost Marshal?  Or does it have to be a local law enforcement representative?

Thanks for posting all the great information - I had no idea how all this worked before I read your FAQ.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My case is similar to Spooky.  I'm a resident of one state, but have been living in a neighboring state for seven years as a student.  Would I have to get the SBR registered to my "home" state address?  Would I have to do all the paperwork in my hometown, or could I just do it "across the border"?  Or should I forget it all together?

R
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Witch_Doctor] [#12]
Ok, I understood the part about putting down "Under 16 inches" for the barrel length but  I'm a little confused with overall length. What it you have a telescoping stock? Is the overall length from the end of the buffer tube, or is it the end of the butt when the stock  is fully extended?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Witch_Doctor:
Ok, I understood the part about putting down "Under 16 inches" for the barrel length but  I'm a little confused with overall length. What it you have a telescoping stock? Is the overall length from the end of the buffer tube, or is it the end of the butt when the stock  is fully extended?

The ATF measures the folding stock open.  Some states measure the folding stock closed.  I would put "less than 26 inches" for the OA length.  If it is an SBR it doesn't really matter how your state measures it because it is already an SBR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm about to take the plunge guys, and I've read through the FAQ, but I'm not quite clear on a couple things yet, I just want to clarify a few things:

I'm going to order a suppressor from a local dealer, and I intend to register an SBR simultaneously.

1. How many total  fingerprint cards do I need done? Is it still two? Or two for each C3 item?

2. I need two copies of the SBR form 1, with one passport photo on each? Will I need more than two photos total for this transaction?

3. When I get CLEO signoff, he gets BOTH copies of the form 1 as well as whatever paperwork goes with the suppressor? (I assume the suppressor dealer will provide me with the necessary forms for his stuff).

The main source of my confusion here is the beginning of the FAQ mentions needing two form 1s, but goes back and forth between saying "the Form 1" and "forms" (plural), so I'm just making sure I understand the number of items I'm dealing with.

4. Finally, the faq also mentions printing both sides of the form 1 on one piece of paper, but I don't believe my printer is capable of that (I'm not especially computer savvy); has anyone recently done this another way, like stapling the pages? Or is the ATF pretty finicky about being two sided? I suppose I could find a copy machine somewhere that could copy both sides if need be.

Thanks to everyone here for having the patience to help us newbies deal with this PITA. If it wasn't for the internet, I don't know if I ever would have tried.
Thanks in advance,
Balisong
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll leave the legal and procedural questions to those with more experience, but as far as your printer goes, just print one side, then turn the paper over and put it back in the paper tray.  Print the second side on the back.  Voila.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#18]
TAG

I plan on doing a form 1 shortly.  (hehe...shortly...get it? ... ah never mind.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
What if I use a lower that is not in my name Ive done a few ar15 FTF trades and I was hoping to build one into a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By MikeDeltaFoxtrot:
I'll leave the legal and procedural questions to those with more experience, but as far as your printer goes, just print one side, then turn the paper over and put it back in the paper tray.  Print the second side on the back.  Voila.  

Uhhhhhm. Yeah I *COULD* do it that way. I was hoping for something more complicated though.

Think the guvmint will let me have C3 toys?  
Thanks MikeDeltaFoxtrot; told ya I wasn't computer gifted (apparently printer either).

So does anyone know the answer to my other questions, or would it best just to call the ATF on this one?
Thanks,
Balisong
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
K, sent the forms in today under my corporation name for an SBR.  I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I am preparing my paperwork for my SBR.  I contacted the BATFE about the engraving and was told that I do not need to engrave my name, city, state etc.  The ATF inspector told me the original manufacturer info on the AR-15 receiver is what they require.  I specifically asked if I needed to engrave my name, city, etc and was told no.  If I were making the receiver, then yes, I would need to engrave my personal info.  As far as putting a short barreled upper on an AR-15 lower there is no need to have it engraved.  This came from the Pittsburgh office.  Now I'm really confused.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Called the NFA branch this morning.  A rather rude lady informed me that I do indeed need my personal info on the receiver.  She was very confusing and kept referring to a short barreled shotgun.  She meant SBR but kept saying short barreled shotgun.  I'm considering forgetting the whole thing.  She didn't speak very highly about the field offices of the BATFE and basically had an air of superiority about her and the NFA.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
The CLEO can be a problem when it comes to getting the signature. If that happes there are other people that can sign such as the local DA, Judge, Sherif, etc.  You can also form a Corporation (which I did) and then you don't need CLEO signatures.

Now, once it goes to the BATFE for approval, as long as you can leagally own one, you have kept a clean record, and you filled out the paperwork correct...  yea, it's a done deal!

Quarterbore, I'm also in PA (Montgomery County) and am considering having going SBR with my Colt Pre-Ban.  What's the process/cost/hassle of forming a corporation in PA?  Did you go this route because your local CLEO was unwilling to sign?  If so, may I ask what part of PA you're from?  Thanks for putting all this info together.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Va_Dinger] [#25]
This is one awesome thread for guys like me who are new to SBR's. I would like to thank everybody who contributed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Would be curious to see people's experiences/how-to on setting up a corporation in here. Great thread so far.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#27]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Do the rules for the SBR apply the same for a Short Barrel Shotgun?

Thx
FireBlade
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:52:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By FireBlade:

Generally yes...

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By budam:

Generally yes...

mark
[email protected]

Budam, went to the web address and saw the tripple x warrior.  Do you make these cans? Also who is a dealer in Texas.  I'm looking for a can for my p22, ar15 in 22, 223 and 9mm cal and my Glock 17.

thx FireBlade

ps is this the same place that TRG got his warrior?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:41:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: budam] [#31]

Budam, went to the web address and saw the tripple x warrior.  Do you make these cans? Also who is a dealer in Texas.  I'm looking for a can for my p22, ar15 in 22, 223 and 9mm cal and my Glock 17.

TXW is made by American Manufacturing.  The are a VERY well thought about company.

For Glock, KKM makes an excellent barrel.  Various companies make very good cans for the Glock 17.  SWR is excellent, as is Gemtech and a couple others.

mark
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I have several questions:

1. What are acceptable reasons as to why you intend to make a firearm (box 4i)?

2. Type of firearm, do you put the number that applies ie. 3 for and SBR or do you describe the type (box 4b).

Thanks,

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#34]
That's the form I used, but if I remember right I downloaded it from the ATF site directly.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#35]
hmmm....I think they cashed my check today!

That's a good thing, right?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By jtw2:
hmmm....I think they cashed my check today!

That's a good thing, right?

They will cash it no matter what.  It does mean that they have recieved your application though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexasSIG] [#37]
Sent the forms off yesterday.

Thanks to all for the SBR FAQ.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Mailed off my SBR paperwork this morning. I would also like to thank Quarterbore and everybody else who contributed to this great thread. I've thought about doing this for years, but it looked like a pain in the butt. This thread made it easy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
Mailed off my SBR paperwork this morning. I would also like to thank Quarterbore and everybody else who contributed to this great thread. I've thought about doing this for years, but it looked like a pain in the butt. This thread made it easy.

I sent my SBR paperwork off this AM also. Now comes the wait.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Wonder what the wait will be?  90 days?   180?  What's been the experience of most?

How big a difference have you seen between examiners?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#41]
hmmm.  I called them today and they didn't have any record of the serial # I submitted.  what does that mean?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fq1234] [#42]

Originally Posted By jtw2:
hmmm.  I called them today and they didn't have any record of the serial # I submitted.  what does that mean?

They only cashed it less than a week ago and most of that was the weekend.  It just isn't pending yet.  It goes pending after they realize the check was good.  They whole process is kind of slow.  The last one I did took 6 days from cashed to pending but the one before that took 22 days!

Sometimes the operator types in the serial number wrong.  I have had that happen several times.  If they say they don't have a record of it, I politely ask them to check it again and repeat the serial number.  Make sure you say it exactly like you wrote it on the application.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#43]
What does one put down for the model (line 4-d) on Form 1?

Do you put the manufacture model, such as:

Sporter Lightweight for Colt
XM-15 E2S for Bushmaster

Or do you put the generic model... AR-15?

Or do you put both, such as:

Sporter Lightweight (AR-15)
XM-15 E2S (AR-15)

Thanks,

Landwarrior...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Landwarrior:

XM-15 E2S for Bushmaster

XM-15 E2S (AR-15)

Thanks,

Landwarrior...

Use whatever is engraved on the lower.  Do not elaborate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By thebomber:

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:

I sent my SBR paperwork off this AM also. Now comes the wait.

Bomber

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By fq1234:

Originally Posted By Landwarrior:

XM-15 E2S for Bushmaster

XM-15 E2S (AR-15)

Thanks,

Landwarrior...

Use whatever is engraved on the lower.  Do not elaborate.

yup that's what I did.  I put LAR-15 since it's a RRA lower.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By NMTactical:
ATF has a newer version of the form  5320.1  then the SBR FAQ links to.  As I understand it, you have to use the latest version or they will kick it back.  Is this correct?

Clay

I will update the FAQ when I get a chance... THANK YOU!!!

Also thanks to longshot_va for the IM telling me about the post here!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#48]
What do you put under Applicant's Name?  Does it have to be your full name as on your bith certificate?  IE:

First Middle Last

Can it be:

First M. Last

If your first name is Donald but you go by Don, can you put Don?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry if this has already been hashed through but, if I am using a corporation on a Form 1, do I need to include a picture of myself as required on the new form 1 or can I essentially leave that entire side of the form blank?

Also, if using a corporation, do I need to put anything in 6a or 6b?  Do I need to put in my EID # in even if it's just a regular corporation with no FFL licenses?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#50]
If a receiver is registered as a SBR, does it always have to be in a SBR configuration? Such as, if I registered my reciever as an SBR, and had a 10.5" upper and a 20" upper and switched between them?
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 2 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top