Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2023 2:14:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cutler25]
Anyone know someone who will cut and thread a 10.5" barrel down to a 10.2" barrel? I know it's not ideal or easy to do as you have to re-use the existing threads. Adco explicitly says they won't on their website and I asked D. Wilson and a no go there as well. I need 10.2" for my Noveske Johnny Rifle clone and this will work until I hopefully find the original correct barrel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a pain because it's easy to ruin the thread adding a new shoulder and picking up the threads using single point. I can help you out if you don't find anyone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
For 1/3” of an inch?!?  Sounds like a bunch of “why, though?”   I’d either just run it 10.5” or buy a 10.3” if it bugs you that much.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
That's likely to end in failure and the smith would get blamed for it.  

If it is important to you, it is better to just buy a longer barrel and cut it back.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:06:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OG1:
It's a pain because it's easy to ruin the thread adding a new shoulder and picking up the threads using single point. I can help you out if you don't find anyone.
View Quote
Thanks. I figured it would be a spendy endeavor if I decide to do it due to added time and intricacies. I'll shoot you a message if can't find anyone and decide to go through with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
For 1/3" of an inch?!?  Sounds like a bunch of "why, though?"   I'd either just run it 10.5" or buy a 10.3" if it bugs you that much.
View Quote
The 10.2" Noveske 300 blackout barrel isn't made anymore and is damn hard to find. I want to get it right. Clone and what not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

If it is important to you, it is better to just buy a longer barrel and cut it back.
View Quote
That's an option I've considered, just don't want to lose the barrel markings.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cutler25:
Thanks. I figured it would be a spendy endeavor if I decide to do it due to added time and intricacies. I'll shoot you a message if can't find anyone and decide to go through with it.
View Quote
Sounds good. I'd probably just cut the new shoulder on the lathe and use a die with the tailstock instead of single point.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Success depends on whether the current threads have a relief at the shoulder and it's width, or if the threads are cut to shoulder without a relief.

Either case would be a huge pain, and threading to the shoulder in either case.

No one will notice 0.3 inches of extra barrel on  your clone, or recognize that the gun is a clone.

View Quote
There is a small relief before the shoulder.

But they would! Plus, I'll always know.

But leaning towards cutting longer one down and living without the barrel markings.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I know this thread is weeks old, but AAC makes a "deep socket" 51t.  It would set back the mount the correct distance without modifying the barrel.  Or if you already have the mount it could be modified by any machinist.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By aircontech:
I know this thread is weeks old, but AAC makes a "deep socket" 51t.  It would set back the mount the correct distance without modifying the barrel.  Or if you already have the mount it could be modified by any machinist.
View Quote
I've seen those mentioned before, but didn't realize it would tuck it back far enough. Have any leads on one? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:48:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FedDC:

If this is such a difficult endeavor, why not find someone to cut the longer barrel back as normal then have them (or someone else) replicate the barrel markings in the correct location?  Whether the “correct” barrel markings are stamped, engraved, laser’d, etc, there’s got to be at least a handful of places that could do a small job like that.

ETA:  Unless the markings on the longer barrel extended through the location they’d need to cut to get you to 10.2”.  I guess they could be filled and ground smooth, but still more difficult than if that wasn’t the case.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

If this is such a difficult endeavor, why not find someone to cut the longer barrel back as normal then have them (or someone else) replicate the barrel markings in the correct location?  Whether the "correct" barrel markings are stamped, engraved, laser'd, etc, there's got to be at least a handful of places that could do a small job like that.
View Quote
Another option, but almost seems very close in steps....but mainly because I already have the barrel from different build
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Another option, but almost seems very close in steps....but mainly because I already have the barrel from different build
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

If this is such a difficult endeavor, why not find someone to cut the longer barrel back as normal then have them (or someone else) replicate the barrel markings in the correct location?  Whether the "correct" barrel markings are stamped, engraved, laser'd, etc, there's got to be at least a handful of places that could do a small job like that.

It’s only money, right?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
This interests me as somebody who owns a lathe and dabbles a bit.

I understand you could chuck the barrel up and dial it in to try to get as close to concentric as possible with what's already there.  Maybe even toss a live center in the business end so whatever you cut will be very close to concentric with the bore.  Then you could turn the barrel down behind the threads to the major diameter of the threads, and make your shoulder at the same time.

Where do you go after that?  Do you cut those 0.30" worth of threads with a die so they continue from the existing ones?  It seems like a nightmare trying to get anything setup so you could single point cut the threads and have them match the existing ones.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
This interests me as somebody who owns a lathe and dabbles a bit.

I understand you could chuck the barrel up and dial it in to try to get as close to concentric as possible with what's already there.  Maybe even toss a live center in the business end so whatever you cut will be very close to concentric with the bore.  Then you could turn the barrel down behind the threads to the major diameter of the threads, and make your shoulder at the same time.

Where do you go after that?  Do you cut those 0.30" worth of threads with a die so they continue from the existing ones?  It seems like a nightmare trying to get anything setup so you could single point cut the threads and have them match the existing ones.
View Quote

You can pick up existing threads on a lathe.  It would suck on 1/2-28.  The problem here is that there is a relief cut at the shoulder which is already smaller than the root of the thread.  There would be a gap between the existing threads and the new threads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:

You can pick up existing threads on a lathe.  It would suck on 1/2-28.  The problem here is that there is a relief cut at the shoulder which is already smaller than the root of the thread.  There would be a gap between the existing threads and the new threads.
View Quote
This specific instance would be 5/8-24, but still no doubt suckish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top