Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2017 1:29:44 AM EDT
Not completely sure if I’m posting this in the right forum... but, crap... Was re-installing my scope mounts on my Remington 700 and the head twisted right off the screw. Screw never got tight, it just started spinning free at one point.
I have no idea how to get the rest of the screw out. Anyone have any advice? Would really appreciate it, this is my deer rifle and I need to get it sighted in for opening day.
I live in the North Dallas Area.

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]
super glue, or jb weld something on to the end of it.  let thoroughly dry and slowly try and twist it out.  02c.   Ive used this tactic on other broken fasteners n such,  just never so small.  good luck.   see what others post, and don't rush.  think it out and work smart.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
drill a hole into it and use an EZ out
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you have some serious good luck, that ain’t coming out easy.

This time of year, any gunsmith is going to be loaded up with work, if you really need that gun for hunting, try and find new mount screws(you don’t need another broken one), put three in and sight in and hunt.  This winter have a good smith pull it, and upgrade to size 8 screws .  Have the smith mount the bases and never pull the bases off. Ever.  

You probably stressed that screw removing it without heating the locktite it was installed with, thus easily snapping it off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Use a sharp punch of some sort and drive/tap it out. You basically walk it out with with the tip of the punch.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
drill a hole into it and use an EZ out
View Quote
Way too small for ez out
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#6]
since you said it isnt tight, you should be able to use a punch and drift it out pretty easily i'd think

like this, except on a smaller scale obviously 
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Find a competent machinist with left handed drill bits.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a large needle, or sharp, pointed object, and see if the remaining section of the screw will turn in the hole. Every now and then you can back out a screw by doing that.

If the piece of screw is tight in the hole then you'll have to drill it out.

Drill a small hole down into the screw (I'd use about 3/32” drill) then tap a small Torx bit into the drill hole (similar to a Eze Out) and turn the remnants of the screw. If you can hold the receiver in a drill press vise, and also use the Torx bit held in the drill chuck and turned by hand this will be much easier that attempting the drilling and turning free hand.

After removal, and before you put another screw into the hole I'd suggest cleaning out the threads with a "bottom" tap. The Remington factory scope base hole is size 6-48.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, take a tiny thin file and cut a slot across what's sticking out.  Back it out like a slotted screw.

There isn't aNY loctite on the screw now is there?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey, take a tiny thin file and cut a slot across what's sticking out.  Back it out like a slotted screw.

There isn't aNY loctite on the screw now is there?
View Quote
Heat destroys Loctite easily.

The most you should need is within soldering iron range.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I had that happen on my 700 as well, same screw even. I am a machinist and have my own machines and tooling, so while it was kind of a pain in the ass with all that it was possible. Almost every time I tried to take a short cut, something went wrong. So if you don't have access to a milling machine and know how to use it, I wouldn't try getting that out. You will likely do far more harm than good.

In case you do have a mill and the knowledge, here's what I did:

I used a drill bit smaller than the minor diameter of the screw holes-sorry its been a couple of years and I'm not exactly sure what size it was, just that it was smaller. I didn't have a left handed drill bit, but that would've made the job much easier.

CAREFULLY drill the shaft of the screw being very careful of your depth, because you'll be drilling into your barrel tennon if you go too deep. This is why I used a milling machine. You only have a few .001" to work with. Alternatively you could pull the barrel, which would leave you with a through hole rather than a blind hole.

If the pieces don't come right out, use a small pick or something to CAREFULLY get them out.

I ended up needing to clean up the threads with a tap because I wasn't as careful as I should've been.

If you don't have a mill, I probably wouldn't try this on your own. If you do, you'll probably still end up taking it to someone. It will just cost you more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
That happened to me, it will come out with said suggestions
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in favor of gluing something to the top of the broken screw, allow it to thoroughly dry, and then carefully back out the broken stud. When a screw breaks like that, there is no tension on the threads and the screw will turn very easily.  I have simply placed my thumb on top of a broken screw and turned it out without doing anything else.  If Lock-Tite was used, you may need to heat it with a heat gun and then use a gloved thumb to try to back it out.  If that doesn't work then use super glue or epoxy to adhere another screw or small drill bit to the top and let it dry before trying to back it out.  Let us know how it turns out, no pun intended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top