Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2017 12:02:16 PM EDT
Purchased a 14.3" with pinned a-2 hider from rra two years back .  Trying to install carbine type (holes type) handguards.  The delta ring is flat sided not angled like all my other ar's.  Wish I known to spec this since it was assembled custom by them. Anyway

I can't get a good enough grip with my brownell sourced delta ring retraction tool to pull this ring back.  Any suggestions. H ad to put it down as was reaching my limit.

Thanks Eric
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells sells a tool that uses the mag week for leverage to pull the slip ring back. However since I'm cheap I usually get someone to help me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It's tough sometimes, but another set of hands should do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres and image finally got up to date with imgur.  The rubber on the wrench slides down on and off the ring. Driving me batty.  Only second to buying a new ak and the sights are canted.  

This handguard should work with that type barrel assembly? The springs the barrel has on it are pretty well sprung but if it wouldn't slip I could do it.

https://i.imgur.com/VAs0OH0.jpg?2
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
It's called "Grip strength".  Find someone who has it.

There is a way to cheat, using some big zip ties wrapped around the delta ring. Gives you something to pull against.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I've been doing pushups every other day but that aint getting me grip strength enough.

Edit.. I don't think its grip strength as I'm bending the ring from all effort. Doesn't retract far enough to get the grip down in there where it needs to fit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it fixed. Yey !!!!

Wasted too much of a nice Saturday thanks Rock River Arms.  These gun companies are really pretty inept.

Edit.. In case somebody comes along with a ring and spring that looks like mine did in above post image.  If you've got that much spring showing then its may be because the ring is turned around backwards. RRA built and shipped it to me that way.

Took me to long too figure out that was the case but I did finally have a 'light on' moment after studying my colt ar and removing rails and reinstalling old carbine type hand guard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top