Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 3:41:04 PM EDT
Or would you like to recommend me one? Seems like Hawkeye is the one to go with but man.. With a picture feature, you'll be in one at least $1,500? Am I right?

Is the $250 Lyman one no good?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Used a Bushnell aluminum one that goes in the end of the barrel that was perfectly fine to get on paper at 100 that was UNTIL I let my brother borrow it.  Somehow the shaft got bent a tick. Went to bore sight one of our supervisors new rifle and was hitting ground at 90 yds. Went and got one that slides in the chamber and boom, right on paper.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a $10 USB one from eBay.  Small enough to fit down a .22 bore and it works reasonably well.  I have several and some are more the pick of the litter than others.  I've bought more after being impressed with the first, my record is 3 wins and 1 replacement with 2 of the winners being great and the others OK.

The price is hard to beat...

- Chris
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used a Bushnell aluminum one that goes in the end of the barrel that was perfectly fine to get on paper at 100 that was UNTIL I let my brother borrow it. Somehow the shaft got bent a tick. Went to bore sight one of our supervisors new rifle and was hitting ground at 90 yds. Went and got one that slides in the chamber and boom, right on paper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used a Bushnell aluminum one that goes in the end of the barrel that was perfectly fine to get on paper at 100 that was UNTIL I let my brother borrow it. Somehow the shaft got bent a tick. Went to bore sight one of our supervisors new rifle and was hitting ground at 90 yds. Went and got one that slides in the chamber and boom, right on paper.
Borescope, not bore-sighting device

Quoted:
I use a $10 USB one from eBay.  Small enough to fit down a .22 bore and it works reasonably well.  I have several and some are more the pick of the litter than others.  I've bought more after being impressed with the first, my record is 3 wins and 1 replacement with 2 of the winners being great and the others OK.

The price is hard to beat...

- Chris
One of the 5.5 mm ones? Does the camera look straight out from the end? Is there a 90 degree attachment available? You've piqued my interest, I didn't realize they were that cheap...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of them come with a little right angle mirror that snaps on the end together with other few accessories. I usually just look straight ahead, you see enough to the side to get an idea of what's going on. The right angle mirror is a little hard to deal with because some don't want to focus that close but also because you just lose your orientation in the barrel (but that's really a situation you need to deal with no matter what you're doing or using to look down the bore).

You want to surgery with this thing, but the bang for the buck is pretty outstanding even if you buy two or three to mess with. I always wanted a real borescope, but after buying a few of these, they seem to have satisfied my curiosity and work well enough that I decided I didn't really need a big deal borescope.

You might find yourself in the same situation if you try it. The low cost really makes it compelling enough to checkout in my opinion.

You need to deal with all the vagaries of eBay China vendors but if you got some time and are willing to risk a 20, it might turn out better than you think.

- Chris
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a used nose and sinus scope from an ENT supply company that was selling the latest models to their doctor customers.  Neat endoscope type thing that has fiber-optic light and then the fiber-optic back to a camera that hooks up to a computer monitor.  It is a little wider than pencil lead.  Works well, and I guess with all the snot it is used to getting on it, sees right through oil.  Only problem is length.  works well to around 10," which is fine for a 20" barrel, then you turn it upside down and do the same.

Sometimes the flexibility gets in the way at the full 10."  I asked the medical supply company, and they offered a colonoscopy scope, but it was too thick.  I guess I am glad for what I have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top