Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2017 8:34:08 PM EDT
Gunsmiths: what soft jaws do you run in your bench vise?

Looking for something to hold both revolvers and semi slides while I clean and work them.

Thanks for any advice.

I did order this set tonight, not sure how it will work out:

LINK
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Big yellow ones from Lowes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Leather pads glued to the regular jaws on standard vise, firm hold wont damage finishes, but the absolutely most useful vise in the shop is the Wilton wood worker vise with leather glued to the wood pads. like this
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Pieces of roofer's lead flashing.

Still have rolls sitting around.

When tightened down there is NO movement.

Even works in milling vices.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Even with copper or rubber lined aluminum jaws, you still run the risk of finish damage, especially with highly polished bluing. Any way you decide to clamp it, I HIGHLY recommend putting plenty of quality masking tape on the firearm's surface before clamping that puppy in the jaws. It will save you lots of wasted time & effort later.

Don't ask how I know this...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even with copper or rubber lined aluminum jaws, you still run the risk of finish damage, especially with highly polished bluing. Any way you decide to clamp it, I HIGHLY recommend putting plenty of quality masking tape on the firearm's surface before clamping that puppy in the jaws. It will save you lots of wasted time & effort later.

Don't ask how I know this...
View Quote
Make sure the jaws are CLEAN every time.

Rubber and plastic can allow some motion.

It will result in scratching unless the jaws are completely clean.

Aluminum will have a surface of aluminum oxide.  The abrasive.

It is harder than almost any steel.

I still prefer clean lead sheets.

I have not marred a gun ever with lead and a tight vice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a set of pads that I made from a small piece of 1/4" plywood.  I cut the wood to size and glued a piece of leather to the face with contact cement.  Cheap and works great.  Some of the craft stores sell small pieces of plywood.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a set of pads that I made from a small piece of 1/4" plywood.  I cut the wood to size and glued a piece of leather to the face with contact cement.  Cheap and works great.  Some of the craft stores sell small pieces of plywood.
View Quote
Better keep it perfectly clean since compressed leather is going to allow some motion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you like the vice jaws from Plastix Revolution? I bought a set from a local tool supply and they are just Ok. The magnets in them aren't very strong at all and they always fall out when the vise is loosened.
The upper receiver vise block at Plastix Rev looks like an interesting piece as well.

Quoted:
Gunsmiths: what soft jaws do you run in your bench vise?

Looking for something to hold both revolvers and semi slides while I clean and work them.

Thanks for any advice.

I did order this set tonight, not sure how it will work out:

LINK
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do you like the vice jaws from Plastix Revolution? I bought a set from a local tool supply and they are just Ok. The magnets in them aren't very strong at all and they always fall out when the vise is loosened.
The upper receiver vise block at Plastix Rev looks like an interesting piece as well.
View Quote
I like them a lot.  In my opinion, very well made at a fair price.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Lead, leather, cork on plywood, rubber and sometimes plain old fashion wood.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
In the long run, you might be better off dropping the coin and getting a good vice. A CNC milling vice and a set of v-blocks will handle 99% of every application you could think of and you won't need to monkey around trying to properly mod it with leather and rubber pads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In the long run, you might be better off dropping the coin and getting a good vice. A CNC milling vice and a set of v-blocks will handle 99% of every application you could think of and you won't need to monkey around trying to properly mod it with leather and rubber pads.
View Quote
I did just that.  Got rid of my Lowe's Kobalt vice and replaced it with a Witon 4" machinist vise.

Night and day difference.  You simply can't compare the two.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
These work great;

Wilton Magnetic jaw caps
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Wood, it's cheap easy and works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top