Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/30/2010 3:30:33 PM EDT
Hi guys, I have a barrel I want to try my hand at lapping....

About all I can find on the interwebs about this is actually from an airgun forum in word doc format airgun handlapping

Can anyone describe how a rifle barrel maker/custom smith would do this?
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 5:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2010 6:01:25 PM EDT by AEnemaBay]
The AGI video called "Custom Barreling Bolt Action Rifles" by Darrel Holland is what you need. He shows you EVERYTHING. Let me see if I have it in my collection and I'll let you borrow it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 3:44:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 5:33:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Do you know your goal for lapping that barrel?

You'll need to cast lead laps onto a modified jag on the end of a rod. The barrel ought to go into a jig with a rod guide, but I expect a pile have been lapped simply held in a vise.

The visible defects near the muzzle you showed us in your other thread are probably not going to come out with lapping without ruining the bore, but you never told us whether those came out after you cleaned the barrel.

Your first step should be to have the barrel recrowned since you resist sending the rifle back to Savage. There is something fundamentally wrong with the rifle that is causing the keyholing, but it's about impossible to diagnose from a distance.

This.

Hand lapping is really a step in the barreling process, that I would like to see done before chambering, you could do it after, but you are asking to trouble IMO if you don't do it just right. The goal is to minimize the tooling marks from the manufacturing process. If the barrel was already on the rifle, I wouldn't consider hand lapping except certain circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:43:59 PM EDT
Thanks for the replys guys, AEnemaBay, thanks for the lead on the video, I'll keep a lookout for it.

UPDATE: I sent the rifle back to savage, details are in the reloading forum thread, update 2, shoots a tighter pattern of keyholes with 55gr dogtowns now, also my bullet jump distance to the lands is .100" longer now, guessing they firelapped it if anything, still copper fouls fiercely. same barrel telling from some unique scratches, arrrrghhhhhh!

Might just have to watch for a stainless new take off barrel or something for now.
Top Top