User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here’s my reasoning/opinion based on being a GEN 1 owner for probably the last 10+ years as well as someone that just got back there “upgrade“ Gen 2 gun.  At the time I bought mine originally, not only was it lightweight and folding/concealable, it was about your only option for a PCC inexpensively.  At that point you had the Sub2000 and then there was a lot between of MSRP between that and MP5 clones, colt 9mm AR15’s, and other guns that were more expensive.  Loved and still love the light weight and folding aspects of it, as well as taking pistol magazines, especially high capacity.  

What I didn’t like about the GEN 1 was how cheap and flimsy the pistol grip area was.  If you didn’t have a magazine in there providing support, it would often flex and spread apart a little when gripping it to fold or unfold the gun.  The plastic and texturing felt cheap.  The Front hand guard was usable but looked ugly and not very ergonomic. Also looked oversized and blocky.  No easy ability to mount rails onto it unless you wanted to add aftermarket rails yourself.  No threaded barrel so no chance of using suppressors, unless you wanted to pay a Smith to internally thread the barrel and then add a adapter($$$).  Front sight worked fine on mine but it’s not a very easily adjustable design and using a clamped piece of clear pink plastic as your front sight blade, surrounded by/protected by plastic, never seemed very durable.

So I sent back my Gen 1,  they destroyed it and slapped my serial number on a new Gen 2 gun along with an “A” after it.  Here are the improvements I definitely have noticed.  Threaded barrel obviously so now I can run a suppressor if I want to.  The second generation hand guards are so much more ergonomic for me, I prefer a thinner handguard and it makes the gun less bulky when folded.  Best comparison I could make is the new hand guard feels more like the thin free floated mlock/keymod ar15 hand guards that are popular now compared to the thick bulky, four sided Picatinny hand guards that were popular 10 to 15 years ago.  The new hand guards actually have rails built-in so that you could run a light/laser on the bottom rail and still have a not interfere with the folding.  The pistol grip and receiver area feels like it’s a more durable stiff polymer.  I don’t have any of the flexing that I felt in the Gen 1 gun.  The front sight assembly is now metal instead of plastic and the front site post is a thin metal post like in the AR15.  The trigger itself feels may be a little sturdier but not much has changed as far as the trigger pull.  The rear stock is a lot nicer.  You can actually adjust the length of pull a little bit.  I also like the new folding latch release mechanism.  And finally maybe it’s just me but it seems like when you unfold the gun the reciever latches into place with much more of a positive click then the old gun.  

It’s about what I expected based on my research.  They improved or fixed a lot of the things I didn’t like about the first generation that were easy fixes.  They added some features like the threaded barrel, which would’ve probably cost me 150 to have done anyway on the old gun.  And finally I now have a new gun with a zero round count, compared to my old one that had 3k+ rounds through it.  All in all, definitely worth $150.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than the threaded barrel I'm wondering why?  It's designed as a cheap gun- and it's still way overpriced in my opinion.  It's extremely easy to add a rail section to the first gen, just use a Dremel sanding drum, smooth the area where you want the rail section, drill two holes and add a Magpul rail.  Sorry, other than being innovative, I'm just not impressed with KT products- and I've owned a couple and still have a 1st gen Sub2000 although I can't recall the last time the thing has been out of the safe.  Yes, it seems to work fine with whatever ammo or mags I've used and it's kinda handy, but it just doesn't not inspire confidence and it's not something I actually enjoy shooting.  

Here’s my reasoning/opinion based on being a GEN 1 owner for probably the last 10+ years as well as someone that just got back there “upgrade“ Gen 2 gun.  At the time I bought mine originally, not only was it lightweight and folding/concealable, it was about your only option for a PCC inexpensively.  At that point you had the Sub2000 and then there was a lot between of MSRP between that and MP5 clones, colt 9mm AR15’s, and other guns that were more expensive.  Loved and still love the light weight and folding aspects of it, as well as taking pistol magazines, especially high capacity.  

What I didn’t like about the GEN 1 was how cheap and flimsy the pistol grip area was.  If you didn’t have a magazine in there providing support, it would often flex and spread apart a little when gripping it to fold or unfold the gun.  The plastic and texturing felt cheap.  The Front hand guard was usable but looked ugly and not very ergonomic. Also looked oversized and blocky.  No easy ability to mount rails onto it unless you wanted to add aftermarket rails yourself.  No threaded barrel so no chance of using suppressors, unless you wanted to pay a Smith to internally thread the barrel and then add a adapter($$$).  Front sight worked fine on mine but it’s not a very easily adjustable design and using a clamped piece of clear pink plastic as your front sight blade, surrounded by/protected by plastic, never seemed very durable.

So I sent back my Gen 1,  they destroyed it and slapped my serial number on a new Gen 2 gun along with an “A” after it.  Here are the improvements I definitely have noticed.  Threaded barrel obviously so now I can run a suppressor if I want to.  The second generation hand guards are so much more ergonomic for me, I prefer a thinner handguard and it makes the gun less bulky when folded.  Best comparison I could make is the new hand guard feels more like the thin free floated mlock/keymod ar15 hand guards that are popular now compared to the thick bulky, four sided Picatinny hand guards that were popular 10 to 15 years ago.  The new hand guards actually have rails built-in so that you could run a light/laser on the bottom rail and still have a not interfere with the folding.  The pistol grip and receiver area feels like it’s a more durable stiff polymer.  I don’t have any of the flexing that I felt in the Gen 1 gun.  The front sight assembly is now metal instead of plastic and the front site post is a thin metal post like in the AR15.  The trigger itself feels may be a little sturdier but not much has changed as far as the trigger pull.  The rear stock is a lot nicer.  You can actually adjust the length of pull a little bit.  I also like the new folding latch release mechanism.  And finally maybe it’s just me but it seems like when you unfold the gun the reciever latches into place with much more of a positive click then the old gun.  

It’s about what I expected based on my research.  They improved or fixed a lot of the things I didn’t like about the first generation that were easy fixes.  They added some features like the threaded barrel, which would’ve probably cost me 150 to have done anyway on the old gun.  And finally I now have a new gun with a zero round count, compared to my old one that had 3k+ rounds through it.  All in all, definitely worth $150.

@agb104983
Alright, after reading what you wrote it makes a lot more sense to me and I'm seriously considering sending mine in, even though I never shoot the thing.    The improvements sound worthwhile and I may actually change my mind on the gun.  Mine's a pretty early gen 1 as well and I have the same complaints about it that you did although mine only has about a thousand rounds through it; I never cared much for shooting it but an ex girlfriend really enjoyed it and so did a friend's kids.

The big question though- it's too loud so I wonder if i can upgrade to the integrally suppressed version that I just noticed on their website?  Apparently they introduced it a year ago but I don't recall ever seeing anything about it.  https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/rifles/sub2000-cqb/  That would be really neat but no, I'm not dropping that much on it- $150 for a gen 2 I can do.

Picture added
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Call em and ask.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@agb104983
Alright, after reading what you wrote it makes a lot more sense to me and I'm seriously considering sending mine in, even though I never shoot the thing.    The improvements sound worthwhile and I may actually change my mind on the gun.  Mine's a pretty early gen 1 as well and I have the same complaints about it that you did although mine only has about a thousand rounds through it; I never cared much for shooting it but an ex girlfriend really enjoyed it and so did a friend's kids.

The big question though- it's too loud so I wonder if i can upgrade to the integrally suppressed version that I just noticed on their website?  Apparently they introduced it a year ago but I don't recall ever seeing anything about it.  https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/rifles/sub2000-cqb/  That would be really neat but no, I'm not dropping that much on it- $150 for a gen 2 I can do.

Picture added
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70832/KT_JPG-1908494.JPG
View Quote

Maybe I’m wrong but they’re not going to upgrade you to the integrally suppressed version for $150.  I think they’re just now starting to ship so it’s hard to get them on the open market anyway, at least last time I checked a few months ago.  

I did shoot my new version with a suppressor, although I went ahead and paid for them to add the Sub2000 heavy brass buffer weight to the package.  As you might expect from a suppressed blowback 9mm, you definitely have some port pop but it’s not horrible, especially if you’re shooting a 45 can that has little back pressure.  If I wanted to shoot an enjoyable 9mm carbine suppressed , nothing beats my MP5 but I definitely like the option of running a can on this one
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Maybe I’m wrong but they’re not going to upgrade you to the integrally suppressed version for $150.  I think they’re just now starting to ship so it’s hard to get them on the open market anyway, at least last time I checked a few months ago.  

I did shoot my new version with a suppressor, although I went ahead and paid for them to add the Sub2000 heavy brass buffer weight to the package.  As you might expect from a suppressed blowback 9mm, you definitely have some port pop but it’s not horrible, especially if you’re shooting a 45 can that has little back pressure.  If I wanted to shoot an enjoyable 9mm carbine suppressed , nothing beats my MP5 but I definitely like the option of running a can on this one
View Quote

Oh I know, I was kidding about the suppressed model and I wouldn't pay the extra for it.  The Ruger I might, but not the KT.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
4/21  Work Order completed,
4/22  Work Order Shipped, with Fedex tracking #
4/23- Fedex said they would deliver by the end of the day, adult signature required
4/24- fedex left on my front steps, while I was home
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone send one in recently?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top