Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Picked up a A3 with a Scorpion mag lower.
Running great except for one issue, bolt catch will occasionally engage on a partial mag while shooting.

A3
HBI big buffer
A3 lower, Steel bolt catch
Supressed

I had forgotten to put in the 40 degree locking piece the previous owner sent, so I was running the stock piece. I swapped out for the 40 degree when I cleaned it.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 7:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
Running great except for one issue, bolt catch will occasionally engage on a partial mag while shooting.

A3
HBI big buffer
Supressed

I had forgotten to put in the 40 degree locking piece the previous owner sent, so I was running the stock piece. I swapped out for the 40 degree when I cleaned it.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

There is a wire that is attached to the upper that keeps the mag catch pushed down. See if that is still there, or if it is bent and not touching the mag catch
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:

https://preview.redd.it/w66ciykxw1v41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=148955c8d7ad1454faba6286b414a092f24eae0d

There is a wire that is attached to the upper that keeps the mag catch pushed down. See if that is still there, or if it is bent and not touching the mag catch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:

A3
HBI big buffer
Supressed

Any suggestions?

https://preview.redd.it/w66ciykxw1v41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=148955c8d7ad1454faba6286b414a092f24eae0d

Still there, seems to have contact, and be fairly positive 'spring'.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I might have missed it but I know a lot of people have been running these suppressed. Has anyone had any cycling issues while shooting subsonic ammo without a suppressor?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stimr2] [#5]

A3
HBI big buffer
Supressed

Any suggestions?
View Quote

Mine use do that as well. There are few things you can do. You can try to adjust the bolt catch spring so that it doesn't slip off the bolt catch lever. Another thing is remove material from the notch where the bolt catch lever sits in the A3 lower to allow the bolt catch lever to come down further. Like explained in this video, skip ahead to 18 min 30 sec.
StARpion 340-Round Update!: Report & Gripe Session (Stribog with A3 Tactical Lower)

I ended up doing the first two things in addition to removing material from the top of the bolt catch lever.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By stimr2:

Mine use do that as well. There are few things you can do. You can try to adjust the bolt catch spring so that it doesn't slip off the bolt catch lever. Another thing is remove material from the notch where the bolt catch lever sits in the A3 lower to allow the bolt catch lever to come down further. Like explained in this video, skip ahead to 18 min 30 sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4pzKXbDUQ
I ended up doing the first two things in addition to removing material from the top of the bolt catch lever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stimr2:

A3
HBI big buffer
Supressed

Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4pzKXbDUQ

Thanks, I'll look at that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
I might have missed it but I know a lot of people have been running these suppressed. Has anyone had any cycling issues while shooting subsonic ammo without a suppressor?
View Quote
I can only speak to the A3 model, but I’m still looking for 147gr ammo that mine will feed reliably.  So far TMJ and Federal HST is out, but with ammo availability as is, I haven’t really worked that hard to find something mine feeds well.

If you’re having issues with your A1, you may want to try narrow down where the issue is more specifically before making purchasing decisions about suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:27:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#8]
Originally Posted By hooooon:
I can only speak to the A3 model, but I’m still looking for 147gr ammo that mine will feed reliably.  So far TMJ and Federal HST is out, but with ammo availability as is, I haven’t really worked that hard to find something mine feeds well.

If you’re having issues with your A1, you may want to try narrow down where the issue is more specifically before making purchasing decisions about suppressors.
View Quote

So I haven’t had a chance to shoot it since I traded for it. I was moreso looking for a starting point for subsonic ammo and maybe seeing what people’s experiences were.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the OEM factory Glock lower available for retrofitting to SP9A3's?

(I know there are third-party lowers available -- was wondering if the factory lower is available for separate purchase)
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of accuracy should I be expecting>?

I have the S model with the short 5" barrel and I couldn't hold a paper plate group at 50" benched and supported
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Castillo:
What kind of accuracy should I be expecting>?

I have the S model with the short 5" barrel and I couldn't hold a paper plate group at 50" benched and supported
View Quote

Yeah.. that doesn't seem right.  I have some 5" 9mm PCC set-ups that hold respectable groups at 50 yards.  Both of my Stribogs are long barrel configurations so no experience with the S model.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By N_Parker:

Yeah.. that doesn't seem right.  I have some 5" 9mm PCC set-ups that hold respectable groups at 50 yards.  Both of my Stribogs are long barrel configurations so no experience with the S model.
View Quote

There was a ton of brass shavings in the receiver. I didn’t have to time to really inspect the extractor. Could the brass shavings be messing with accuracy? Maybe getting into the barrel? I looked at and it looked clean.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I locktited and torqued the barrel thread protector and this seemed to solve the issue. It was spinning off prior and clearly affecting accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
How is the SP9A3S? Anyone know if that model deals with the same issues regarding the wear on the rails?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
How is the SP9A3S? Anyone know if that model deals with the same issues regarding the wear on the rails?
View Quote

I have been shooting the S

Don't see any rail wear issues? Probably around the 500 rd mark

Holy shit it is a fun gun!

Is the HB short stroke buffer worth it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

IMO It's worth it because it helps prevent brass from getting behind the bolt and jamming up the gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Hollow locking pin failure on someone's stribog just as predicted.....

Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw that on Stribog subreddit and I specifically remembered your post about the hollow pin.

I wonder if Global Ordnance will give him a solid pin or have him send back his SP9A3.

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like a heat treat issue.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Its a design issue 1st and corner cutting at its finest.  You simply don't cut corners and use a hollow pin for this style delayed blowback.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:48:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#21]
Originally Posted By KDG_Dave:

Its a design issue 1st and corner cutting at its finest.  You simply don't cut corners and use a hollow pin for this style delayed blowback.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KDG_Dave:

Been meaning to get some dimensions for the pin, was thinking of sourcing some solid ones for people. I'm just not entirely sure on the best hardness for them. Does anyone with solid pins have some speculation on the hardness of the steel? Do they seem soft, or are they pretty damn solid?

The spare pins I ordered from IPSC Store were hollow :/
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:16:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#22]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

Been meaning to get some dimensions for the pin, was thinking of sourcing some solid ones for people. I'm just not entirely sure on the best hardness for them. Does anyone with solid pins have some speculation on the hardness of the steel? Do they seem soft, or are they pretty damn solid?

The spare pins I ordered from IPSC Store were hollow :/
View Quote

My pin:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not sure on hardness. I'd try some 6mm drill rod.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#24]
On my bolt hold open issue, bending the spring and ensuring it's set correctly during reassembly worked. Two matches for my son and it's run flawless.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I have read most of this thread but there seems to be some very contradictory experiences, especially with subs. I just wanted to give my requirements/use and ask a couple questions for clarification.

I am wanting an A3 delayed variant for shooting 100% suppressed subsonic ammo. My silencer is an Omega 9k with 3 lug mount. I need it to feed either 147 HST or 147 Gold Dots. I need it to feed at least one factory subsonic FMJ load. If I can get just one FMJ sub and one of those subsonic defensive loads to function I will just buy as much of that as I will ever need and call it good.

That said I was looking at the SP9A3 or SP9A3 S short version. The G version would be a last choice but I would go that route if it would feed subs and the others wont. I was considering the HBI spacer and A3 Scorpion lower.

Can any of the above be reliable with the ammo I require? I am willing to swap any parts as necessary and use any mags. Does the above require use of 40 degree block? Is the 40 degree block the same on the regular A3, the S, and G variants?

Was also considering a Geissele trigger to match all my other semi autos in the A3 lower. Would that help or hurt my use case?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:06:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#26]
Originally Posted By DevL:
I have read most of this thread but there seems to be some very contradictory experiences, especially with subs. I just wanted to give my requirements/use and ask a couple questions for clarification.

I am wanting an A3 delayed variant for shooting 100% suppressed subsonic ammo. My silencer is an Omega 9k with 3 lug mount. I need it to feed either 147 HST or 147 Gold Dots. I need it to feed at least one factory subsonic FMJ load. If I can get just one FMJ sub and one of those subsonic defensive loads to function I will just buy as much of that as I will ever need and call it good.

That said I was looking at the SP9A3 or SP9A3 S short version. The G version would be a last choice but I would go that route if it would feed subs and the others wont. I was considering the HBI spacer and A3 Scorpion lower.

Can any of the above be reliable with the ammo I require? I am willing to swap any parts as necessary and use any mags. Does the above require use of 40 degree block? Is the 40 degree block the same on the regular A3, the S, and G variants?

Was also considering a Geissele trigger to match all my other semi autos in the A3 lower. Would that help or hurt my use case?
View Quote

I use 147gr hst occasionally and 147gr v-crowns mostly and don't have any feeding issues. The 40deg locking piece isn't required, but it does delay the action more which is better suppressed. Highly suggest it.

As for the lower, I have an e-mail from A3 tactical that stated they designed the lower to work with single stage triggers mostly, and some 2-stage triggers will have issues resetting. I tried using a Geissele S3G and it wouldn't reset. It would reset with a hyperfire duty trigger.

I bought a lingle lower and it resets the S3G trigger.

I like the scorpion mags, they seem much more durable than the Stribog ones. The Stribog mags like to break the bolt hold open dingus that sticks up on the follower, it's like a toothpick.

These are my experiences with it and it's only a single case, others might not have any issues with their a3 lower.

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you try a Geissele trigger and have issues, maybe others are running one with no issues.

I like the gun though, I'd take it over most other pcc's.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#27]
So shot a friend''s SP9A3 over the past weekend with a recoil reducing spacer, lighter trigger springs, curved mags, and Omega 9K, standard roller block, solid pin. Shot 3 boxes of 115 FMJ no problem, then shot 50 rounds of Federal 147 FMJ no problem. Then shot 25 round box of 147 Gold Dot factory loads, no problem. All fired 100% and locked the bolt on last shot.

Just wonder if SP9A3S is as reliable and if the A3 lower is as reliable with 147 stuff. But the standard version with curved mags was impressive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I've read that Global Ordnance has an upgrade program for replacing the bolt and locking block for serial numbers GSB1001 through GSB3000.

So, i assume after ser # GSB3000 are good from the factory.

What is the chance of me buying a SP9A3G and getting one with the newer parts?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#29]
100% because the "G" lowers were much later than the upgrade range.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Chances are really good, the recall was on the very first batch of A3s which hit the market about 2 1/2 years ago.  Glock versions, as already noted, were just recently introduced.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#31]
New Stribog Pistol Caliber Carbines for 2023
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Kbbpm71Hs
View Quote

A Franklin Armory Binary trigger is mentioned in this video.  Hoping it will be designed to work with the A1.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#33]
As are new mags for the factory lower. FINALLY.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#34]
.45?! I'm ready to be hurt again
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bad-Karma:
.45?! I'm ready to be hurt again
View Quote

Yeessssss
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#36]
has anyone had experience with the sp9a3s and the sp9a3. Just wondering if the S is obnoxious to shoot with a smaller barrel and the blast being a bit closer to your face.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Peteroo:
has anyone had experience with the sp9a3s and the sp9a3. Just wondering if the S is obnoxious to shoot with a smaller barrel and the blast being a bit closer to your face.
View Quote

About the same as a pistol
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#38]
been watching this thread since about page 40 and finally got my Mini Bog! Picked it up on my lunch break and shot a quick string. Great little gun, seems to shoot low unless its me not used to shooting a PCC. Cant wait to add some crap to it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ivan1] [#39]
been watching this thread since about page 40 and finally got my Mini Bog! Picked it up on my lunch break and shot a quick string. Great little gun, seems to shoot low unless its me not used to shooting a PCC. Cant wait to add some crap to it.
View Quote

What sight picture are you using? Maybe try a combat sight picture.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Peteroo] [#40]
i was just using the shitty iron sights on it. which could be the issue. shot placement was consistently low but tough to say, likely my sight picture(i center hold). i have a red dot im going to move over from my AR for the next trip.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#41]
i was just using the shitty iron sights on it. which could be the issue. shot placement was consistently low but tough to say, likely my sight picture(i center hold). i have a red dot im going to move over from my AR for the next trip.
View Quote

I think the iron sights are actually pretty good. But yeah try a combat sight picture next. Dot over target and I’m sure that will help if not alleviate the problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Peteroo] [#42]
suppose shitty is an incorrect adjective for the sights. unsubstantial might be better. Does anyone have a preference between the safety harbor KES brace vs the global ordnance telescoping brace? I like that the SH brace rides along the contour of the gun but its a bit high, GO rides a bit lower and may reduce strain but might be slightly lower in quality.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#43]
suppose shitty is an incorrect adjective for the sights. unsubstantial might be better. Does anyone have a preference between the safety harbor KES brace vs the global ordnance telescoping brace? I like that the SH brace rides along the contour of the gun but its a bit high, GO rides a bit lower and may reduce strain but might be slightly lower in quality.
View Quote

Do you have a link to the global ordnance telescoping brace?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#44]
My mistake, factory grand power brace. https://gunzonedeals.com/product/grand-power-pdw-collapsible-brace-with-tailhook-for-stribog-sp9a1-and-sp9a3-for-sale-gunzonedeals.com
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Castillo] [#45]
My mistake, factory grand power brace. https://gunzonedeals.com/product/grand-power-pdw-collapsible-brace-with-tailhook-for-stribog-sp9a1-and-sp9a3-for-sale-gunzonedeals.com
View Quote

This brace is awesome. Recommend

Def not low quality
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Is there any wobble and can you shoot with it collapsed?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Is there any wobble and can you shoot with it collapsed?
View Quote

I don’t notice any wobble

You can shoot with it collapsed, you have to adjust it to the brace portion is canted to the left for right handed shooting
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#48]

I don’t notice any wobble

You can shoot with it collapsed, you have to adjust it to the brace portion is canted to the left for right handed shooting
View Quote

Done and bought. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Its not a bad piece. slight amount of play where roll pins connect the tailhook mount to the rails, but overall pretty good. hopefully it doesnt scrape the side of the receiver, time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:49:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#50]
ISPC Store has the 40 degree locker on sale if anyone is interested.  

40 degree locker

Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top