Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geometry is off or what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well a hyper fire 24 trigger will not work looks like one of my ar's is getting a new trigger
Geometry is off or what?
Idk something with how the bolt was contacting the hammer wouldn't let the bolt cycle I put a mil spec trigger in it works fine
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Idk something with how the bolt was contacting the hammer wouldn't let the bolt cycle I put a mil spec trigger in it works fine
View Quote
Well that sucks. Good to know though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Broke mine in for the first time today. I put almost 200 rounds through it with two malfunctions. They were both FTF and with Korean mags.

All other mags functioned fine. However one ETS mag wouldn’t lock when inserted on a forward bolt.

Most fun I’ve had in a while shooting. More accurate than I expected.  Had good groups shooting out to 50 yards with Bushnell red dot.

I need a case. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bushy bought out PO's Carbon-15 after they filed for Chapter 11.  The PO Carbon-15 had issues.  When they were good, they were awesome.  That was more the exception, not the rule.  We're talking this was 15+ years ago.  I personally thought the Carbon-15 was an amazing piece of innovation at the time mixing proprietary lightweight parts in with an AR platform.  They were one of the first to do this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. Somehow completely missed your post about professional ordnance.  My 2 sec of google lead me to believe it was a bushmaster product.
Bushy bought out PO's Carbon-15 after they filed for Chapter 11.  The PO Carbon-15 had issues.  When they were good, they were awesome.  That was more the exception, not the rule.  We're talking this was 15+ years ago.  I personally thought the Carbon-15 was an amazing piece of innovation at the time mixing proprietary lightweight parts in with an AR platform.  They were one of the first to do this.
My father and myself and a friend had them, back in the ban years, dark times but good memoroes.  Anyway, one ran perfect, other two would jam w m193, stuck case, have to beat it out w hammmer.  Polishing chamber w dremmel fixed it ran awesomme after that, so much fun.  Had this silly clamp thing that held a flashlight in the barrel flutes, served as a place to hold it.  The design was driven, recall, by the 50oz “assault” pistol weight limit.   Had this cool quick detach muzzle feature, again this was probably relative to the AWB, worked like an air hose fitting.  I sold mine years before, but dad was shooting his and the qd mound and whatever he has screwed upon it went down range!  Bushmaster owned it at this poibt and they had him send the upper in and they put a new barrel on it w just regular theeaded muzzle
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyway let’s keep this thread alive for continued updates., thanks to everyone gor sharing.  
Also...
Pls let me know...is the bolt/barrel ext. of the 9mm version more squared off like a typical colt style 9mm or is there a big feed cone and a bolt w beveled edges like the 45 version as shown in these pic:

Also, how close is the top cartridge positioned before the cone?  Is it like right in front of it or is there some distance it has to travel to get there?

Any chance someone could get a pic in the side port w a loaded mag inserted w the bolt open?

Here are pics of colt style bolt/barrel:

Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Got back from the range today did some chronograph work on the extar federal 115gr+p+ averaged 1485 fps
i ran some Underwood 65gr+p averaged 1950fps
the odd thing my son and I couldn't figure out was with all the different ammo we ran through the extar and his scorpion the extar averaged around 20-50fps faster than the cz and the cz has a slightly longer barrel.
on the bad side I had 4 or 5 jams all on last round not sure why it might be because I put a new trigger in.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got back from the range today did some chronograph work on the extar federal 115gr+p+ averaged 1485 fps
the odd thing my son and I couldn't figure out was with all the different ammo we ran through the extar and his scorpion the extar averaged around 20-50fps faster than the cz and the cz has a slightly longer barrel.
on the bad side I had 4 or 5 jams all on last round not sure why it might be because I put a new trigger in.
View Quote
Dimensions in the chamber and throat can impact velocity.  To a lesser degree perhaps variations in the bore and rifling.

Can you explain the nature of the jams, FTF?

Also, can you comment whether the bolt/barrel looks like pictured in my last post above or more like a colt type bolt/barrel?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, has anyone weighed the bolt & buffer?  Doe the action spring appear to be a regular carbine spring?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dimensions in the chamber and throat can impact velocity.  To a lesser degree perhaps variations in the bore and rifling.

Also, can you comment whether the bolt/barrel looks like pictured in my last post above or more like a colt type bolt/barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like the cone shape,more of a failure to feed I'm thinking more the magazine fault but not sure
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More like the cone shape,more of a failure to feed I'm thinking more the magazine fault but not sure
View Quote
same mag?  Factory or aftermarket?

A trigger can have an impact on the action, particularly in how the hammer drags on the underside of the carrier.  A stronger spring will take more energy to cock & create more friction on the underside of the carrier.  Slightly different geometry of the hammer can slightly affect the tension between the two as well.  I guess make sure that the part of the hammer contacting the carrier is in the same location as the original.

Adding pics to the above that show a colt style barrel/bolt

ETA, looking at that youtube vid posted on pg 2 of this thread, the 9mm bolt does NOT look like that 45 bolt I have pictured above.  it looks more like a colt bolt.  Here is a screen shot

Are you telling me that you bolt does not look like that?

Here is the 10mm bolt:

The 10mm looks just like the 45, you see its beveled front and how it has the big hunk of steel bolted to the top.  The 9mm bolt, however, came out as a separate piece from the mass at the top.  When the 9mm bolt came out in that vid, it just had a tiny nub on top in leiu of a gas key.  There must have been another block he left in the receiver that the charging handle goes through and that pushes agains that nub on the top of the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#11]
so you shot it suppressed?  Did you have to add weight to it somehow or anything?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
and did anyone determine if any receiver extension "buffer tube" can be screwed in there, even if it has to be ground a bit off the end?  Of did they have KAK or whoever make the brace tube w/ proprietary thread pitch??
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
It would look much better with a sba3.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A trigger can have an impact on the action, particularly in how the hammer drags on the underside of the carrier.  A stronger spring will take more energy to cock & create more friction on the underside of the carrier.  Slightly different geometry of the hammer can slightly affect the tension between the two as well.  I guess make sure that the part of the hammer contacting the carrier is in the same location as the original.

ETA, looking at that youtube vid posted on pg 2 of this thread, the 9mm bolt does NOT look like that 45 bolt I have pictured above.  it looks more like a colt bolt.  Here is a screen shot
https://i.imgur.com/znARUgR.png

Here is the 10mm bolt:
https://extarusa.com/index_htm_files/1940.jpg
The 10mm looks just like the 45, you see its beveled front and how it has the big hunk of steel bolted to the top.  The 9mm bolt, however, came out as a separate piece from the mass at the top.  When the 9mm bolt came out in that vid, it just had a tiny nub on top in leiu of a gas key.  There must have been another block he left in the receiver that the charging handle goes through and that pushes agains that nub on the top of the bolt.
https://i.imgur.com/4DeJSgH.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/znARUgR.png

Here is the 10mm bolt:
https://extarusa.com/index_htm_files/1940.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4DeJSgH.png
It was the mag the gun ships with not a glock mag,most of what you're talking is over my head I just shoot not build I did try to put a hyperfire trigger in but it would not let the bolt cycle the reason I think the mil spec trigger had something to do with the ftf is I didn't have any ftf with the factory trigger.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

so you shot it suppressed?  Did you have to add weight to it somehow or anything?
View Quote
Yes supers & subs. I like it more than my Scorpion. No extra weight added. Mine came with a (Springco?) red painted recoil spring in it.

Lots of fun, out to 50 yards.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Question for you guys.

Does it look like there is any way to shorten the hand guard?  Obviously it could easily be cut but does the upper rail attach at any point along the hand guard other than near the muzzle end?

I'm very tempted but would like to shorten it just a bit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question for you guys.

Does it look like there is any way to shorten the hand guard?  Obviously it could easily be cut but does the upper rail attach at any point along the hand guard other than near the muzzle end?

I'm very tempted but would like to shorten it just a bit.
View Quote
Dunno where the front rail attaches but in the extar556 the barrel nut and upper reciever threads are not standars.    The HG should be 1.75 ID FWIW
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Friends and I have been messing around with one. Pretty cool for the price so far!

Only off thing is the threads. My understanding is they are supposed to be 1/2 by 28. My octane 9 does not want to thread very far. Even after we tried to clean up the threads. Same thing with a standard 9mm AR style flashhider. Thoughts?

Pics: (I did change around the 6P body to a plastic (can’t remember what they are called) 6P body for better clamping in the Vtac mount.)

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one of these last night after reading through what seem to be overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Have been looking for a 9mm of this type and the price point, Glock mags and overall weight sealed the deal for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Friends and I have been messing around with one. Pretty cool for the price so far!

Only off thing is the threads. My understanding is they are supposed to be 1/2 by 28. My octane 9 does not want to thread very far. Even after we tried to clean up the threads. Same thing with a standard 9mm AR style flashhider. Thoughts?

Pics: (I did change around the 6P body to a plastic (can’t remember what they are called) 6P body for better clamping in the Vtac mount.)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106019/19F93015-54AE-44CF-AB55-E5CB103D7733-596330.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106019/85242593-0384-44C5-8CB3-E72DE7D32EF8-596332.JPG
View Quote
Prolly you have 1/2x36 threads, mfgs are moving back to that for 9mm after some recent lawsuit where a guy hurt himself putting a small bore muzz acc on a 9mm
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought one of these last night after reading through what seem to be overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Have been looking for a 9mm of this type and the price point, Glock mags and overall weight sealed the deal for me.
View Quote
Let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Added a few accessories to mine.  Currently have about 800 rounds through it with only a few malfunctions.  Mainly have had a few failure to feed, which I believe to have been caused by faulty Korean magazines.

Finally cleaned it and didnt see much wear on the internal components.  This gun has become one of my favorites that I shoot whenever I get the chance.  I really want to try the .45acp when it comes out as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Interested & following the posts on this gun.  I'm waiting on the 45ACP version, because I already have two 9mm sub guns and don't need another.

The price point is what makes me want to try it out. I want to suppress it. Has anyone heard when the 45 version will start shipping?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Prolly you have 1/2x36 threads, mfgs are moving back to that for 9mm after some recent lawsuit where a guy hurt himself putting a small bore muzz acc on a 9mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106019/19F93015-54AE-44CF-AB55-E5CB103D7733-596330.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106019/85242593-0384-44C5-8CB3-E72DE7D32EF8-596332.JPG
Manufacturer says 1/2x28?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interested & following the posts on this gun.  I'm waiting on the 45ACP version, because I already have two 9mm sub guns and don't need another.

The price point is what makes me want to try it out. I want to suppress it. Has anyone heard when the 45 version will start shipping?
View Quote
All I have heard is third quarter this year,I bought the 9mm and will buy the 10mm when they come out,very fun gun
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I like how light weight this gun is, and it looks well designed. Is anybody willing to bench rest one of these? I'm looking for a ppc, but it needs to shoot better than 4moa or i'm just not interested. I've been looking online, but nobody has posted anything other than "blasting offhand at 25 yards reviews".  Also, no answer yet on if this thing can use a shockwave buffer tube, etc?
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:26:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like how light weight this gun is, and it looks well designed. Is anybody willing to bench rest one of these? I'm looking for a ppc, but it needs to shoot better than 4moa or i'm just not interested. I've been looking online, but nobody has posted anything other than "blasting offhand at 25 yards reviews".  Also, no answer yet on if this thing can use a shockwave buffer tube, etc?
View Quote
is better than 4MOA even possible w/ pistol ammo though?  I recall hearing that the MP5 was like 6 MOA,  but NBD at couple dozen yards or less.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is accurate enough to hit the bottom of a soft drink can @ 50yds, every shot.. Boringly accurate at that range. 2.625" @ 50yds. This firing through a Dead Air Ghost with a wipe in the cap. PA Advanced red dot, the dot practically covers the can bottom at that distance.

But, I swapped my factory 7.5" barrel out for a shorter 5.5" barrel, because I could & I liked the looks of it that way. Macon Armory modified one of their barrels to fit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#29]
So which one of you who have one is going to post pics of targets shot at 50 and 100 yds??
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So which one of you who have one is going to post pics of targets shot at 50 and 100 yds??
View Quote
I can't see at 100 yards without magnification
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't see at 100 yards without magnification
View Quote
Start at 50..... We'll work on it....
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#32]
PSA:  One can purchase that rubber shock absorber/spacer that is in these guns for once own builds.   Joe Bob’s has them for just a few bucks

ETA: The spacers I found were hard plastic, NOT rubber at all
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

is better than 4MOA even possible w/ pistol ammo though?  I recall hearing that the MP5 was like 6 MOA,  but NBD at couple dozen yards or less.
View Quote
Suomi KP-31 was well known for being able to take small game.  4 MOA with good ammo should be possible for any gun with a fixed barrel, all other things being equal. I don't think 4moa is an unrealistic goal. If I miss, I want it to be because I missed, not because the gun missed. I want to be able to put it on a bench and get one inch groups at 25 yards. That was good for head shooting critters "back in the day" I think 100 years later we should still be able to make guns that good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought one of these based on all the positive reviews.  In two range sessions, I have put approximately 850rnds thru it, all of them suppressed.

No issues, mags used were factory Glock 19, 17, 18, ETS 31rnd, Magpul Glock 19 and 17 mags.  Rounds used were Blazer Brass 124gr, Speer 124gr HP +P, and American Eagle 147gr.

I am very impressed with its reliability and price point.  No wear is evident, clean up is just wiping it down and swabbing out the powder residue.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone know what aftermarket triggers will work in this.  On their website it says that "Some Mil-Spec style fire control sets" are compatible.  I haven't shot mine yet, but with just  a little bit of dry firing, I'm not overly happy with the trigger pull on it.  That being said, I'm not going to change anything out until I get at least a couple hundred rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what aftermarket triggers will work in this.  On their website it says that "Some Mil-Spec style fire control sets" are compatible.  I haven't shot mine yet, but with just  a little bit of dry firing, I'm not overly happy with the trigger pull on it.  That being said, I'm not going to change anything out until I get at least a couple hundred rounds through it.
View Quote
A regular mil spec trigger will work or at least it does in mine
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wonder if any of the drop in triggers (CMC, JMT, etc) would work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't know,I tried a Hyperfire and it wouldn't work
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Shot 150 rounds today.  Winchester white box and mystery reloads(both given to me free years ago).  Gun ran flawlessly using an ETS stick mag and a factory Glock 19 mag.  I haven’t cleaned it yet.

I put a TRS 25 on it from Amazon.  It was acting goofy probably needs s new battery.

Picture below shows three groups from 10 yards offhand and shooting at an angle in a creekbed at hardiboard.  I’m sorry o didn’t put anything in the picture for size reference.

I’m very pleased with this handy little pistol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#41]
It’s a shame this weapon isn’t getting more publicity.

Does anyone know if a SBA3 brace will fit it?

Any recommendations on the aftermarket for a new forearm?  I kept the rail and added magpul ladder covers and a rail stop to it. Just doesn’t feel right so would like an Aluminum Non pic version.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Love mine!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone come up with a good case to use for these?  I keep looking around and just haven't found anything that isn't super long and space wasting.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anybody know where I can buy one I can't find these things anywhere
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Not a lot of love for these. I’m really surprised
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does anybody know where I can buy one I can't find these things anywhere
View Quote
Ordered mine straight from the manufacturer
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm sure there will be an adapter for the carbine buffer tubes (SB braces, etc.).  I know a company made one for the 556 version, and I thought I remembered the "honest outlaw" saying something about an adapter for the EP9 (maybe the other one works on this gun--I haven't looked into it).

I'm still trying to convince myself that I need this in addition to my SUB-2K.  Both 4lbs, but this will be shorter with a suppressor (which I'm getting in FEB 19).
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I just saw a post from Frontier arms saying they bought the Extar pistol line.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just saw a post from Frontier arms saying they bought the Extar pistol line.
View Quote
Just ran across this thread, new to me and very interested;

Anyone know if this is normal for these; EP9 Ships 2-3 Weeks After FFL Confirmation
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top