Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the quick pics. Just as a word of warning, I recently read that Ruger does NOT recommend using Magpul Glock mags for this carbine. I noticed you had one in your pics, so beware that it might cause issues and you might want to test it with OEM mags, as well. I have had mine on order since Thursday with a local dealer, but who knows when it will arrive. Hopefully soon. :)

Edit: the info on the Magpul Glock mag compatability comes from: http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/02/gun-test-ruger-pc-carbine/
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick pics. Just as a word of warning, I recently read that Ruger does NOT recommend using Magpul Glock mags for this carbine. I noticed you had one in your pics, so beware that it might cause issues and you might want to test it with OEM mags, as well. I have had mine on order since Thursday with a local dealer, but who knows when it will arrive. Hopefully soon. :)

Edit: the info on the Magpul Glock mag compatability comes from: http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/02/gun-test-ruger-pc-carbine/
View Quote
Daily caller copy and pasted the american rifleman review. i havent seen on Rugers site or in rugers manual a specific recommendation against the Magpul mags, only that they may not recommend them due to being aftermarket only.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Here is the first batch of pics

It was too dark at the range to pop off any rounds.
View Quote
@ajacobs

Is the rear sight dovetailed into the barrel or the screwed in?
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I added some more pics to the above album.

First disappointing observation.  The front sling swivel is not far enough back to mount either a streamlight or a surefire x-300.  It hits the swivel before the crossbar can get to the first slot.
View Quote
Wow

I love Ruger, this thing is genious and I want one....but that is a ridiculous screwup on their part.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

First disappointing observation.  The front sling swivel is not far enough back to mount either a streamlight or a surefire x-300.  It hits the swivel before the crossbar can get to the first slot.
View Quote
Probably needs an offset light mount.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Local shop lists them for $509. They are "out of stock" at the moment but will likely be getting them in as they are a rather large dealer and try to stay on top of trends. They are also big on Ruger.
The distributors have mentioned that these are selling out fast and will be in "high demand".  This will go on for some time as it is, after all, a Ruger. While some here don't fancy Ruger a great many people do. Ruger will sell these as fast as they can make them. I am a big PCC fan but will I buy one of these?  Good question. First thought is to jump on one. Second thought is , "wait and see". I'm old and cautious (i.e. gotten burned too many times on new guns that had problems) and will likely wait and see.

My observations are simple:
Its a Ruger, it will sell
Its priced such that it will put a squeeze on some of the other guns out there, not everyone is ready to put $800-$1300 in a 9mm carbine. (why I don't already own a Scorpion)
Not everyone wants yet another AR style firearm
That mag well insert thing was a stroke of genius and it comes with it. Smart....very smart....
If is sells hotly the aftermarket will jump on it within the year. From its looks it has potential for companies to make a profit dressing it up.
It will put a price squeeze on the PCC market. It will be a much better firearm than a Sub2k and won't be much more money than some are asking for those now. Prices on other guns will need to drop to stay competitive..(that's good for all of us). Heck, even High Points often sell for near $300, a little more would put you in a Ruger...ummm
Good move using the 10/22 style trigger...very good move
I wish they made a non-take down model that was a bit cheaper. If they did its likely someone would come up with a folder stock for it. I like folders much better....you can fire them while folded!

Its a Ruger....maybe not slick, maybe not the prettiest or the lightest thing on the block....but it will work and will sell. Heck, it looks much better than a High Point (but that isn't saying much is it?)

Maybe next year I will have one....if I can sell my now price depreciated Marlin Camp 9  
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@ajacobs

Is the rear sight dovetailed into the barrel or the screwed in?
View Quote
Screwed in
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I might buy one once the hullabaloo dies down about it.

No, wait.  It is a Ruger.

I might buy one once they have two product recalls under their belts.
View Quote
Concur.....I have sent four new firearms back to Ruger in the last 19 years for a "factory" tweak so they could actually work as advertised.

About every five years I give Ruger another chance and they never fail to disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wow

I love Ruger, this thing is genious and I want one....but that is a ridiculous screwup on their part.
View Quote
I was actually thinking of the design sling mounts the other day, wish they had gone with a set of QD sockets due to the ability of this to be taken down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was actually thinking of the design sling mounts the other day, wish they had gone with a set of QD sockets due to the ability of this to be taken down.
View Quote
The QD mounts on the Magpul backpacker stock are perfect for a takedown. Fingers crossed Magpul comes out with one for the PC Carbine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#12]
How much movement does the tungsten weight have inside its little channel?
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
maybe an 1/8"
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Here is the first batch of pics

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
This might sound stupid, but do you have a 10-22 takedown? If so, does the PC9 fit in the bag they come with? :)

Can't believe they just give cardboard, I love the bags.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#16]
My "10/22" take down is from tactical solutions so it didn't come with a bag.  But if you go to the ruger store they appear to offering the exact same bag as option for this gun.  although I was thinking of going with a roll-n-go bag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the Glock magwell short enough to work with G26 magazines?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here is the first batch of pics

View Quote
Looks nice
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That thing is hideous!

Besides; what useful thing does it do that an AR in 9mm won’t?
View Quote
Not break FCG pins left and right?

If you want a cheap 9mm platform something like a CZ is where to start.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  Not break FCG pins left and right?

View Quote
Bwahahaha!  A cheap 9x19mm platform is a HiPoint.  CZ's ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is your definition of "cheap"?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like older gen Glock Mags can only release with the push button on the left. Too bad as I prefer the release to push on the Right and I have a lot of Gen 2 and 3 Mags.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My "10/22" take down is from tactical solutions so it didn't come with a bag.  But if you go to the ruger store they appear to offering the exact same bag as option for this gun.  although I was thinking of going with a roll-n-go bag.
View Quote
Thanks, I see the bag on their site, but it's like $90. I only paid $279 for my 10-22...
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks, I see the bag on their site, but it's like $90. I only paid $279 for my 10-22...
View Quote
I know, I am not a huge fan either.  Especially since I am not sure of the quality.  I was looking at the hazard 4 plan-b grayman which is also around 75 bucks on amazon but appear to be a nicer bag.  It measure 19 3/4 supposedly on the inside.  The butt end of the ruger is 20 so I am guessing it would fit fine.  I was also looking at tripod bags and few other options.

Nobody else pick one up yet?  I am surprised after all the excitement.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the Glock magwell short enough to work with G26 magazines?
View Quote
I no longer have a 26, but based on the 19 they should work fine.  One of my pics shows a 19 mag in a uninstalled magwell.  The bottom of the magwell is flush with the bottom of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks like older gen Glock Mags can only release with the push button on the left. Too bad as I prefer the release to push on the Right and I have a lot of Gen 2 and 3 Mags
View Quote
Thats correct.  If you want to use single cut mags, the release must be on the left (which is ideal for right handed shooters).
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
As far bags go I have the copper basin bag for 10/22 takedown. I'm hoping the PC Carbine will fit. I'll have to check to see if 33 rounders will fit in any of the pouches.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/copper-basin-takedown-compact-firearm-pack-discrete-firearm-storage.html?_iv_code=COB-GC-TCFP-CB-1022&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CjwKCAiAhMLSBRBJEiwAlFrsTvDO8pd3Vmma2A4xkmrpovglATWQP4_FDQWvZrvIoE96bhc8Pbh4rBoCAGMQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thats correct.  If you want to use single cut mags, the release must be on the left (which is ideal for right handed shooters).
View Quote
I could cut a slot on my older mags.

Any further details on if Magpul Mags will work?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I could cut a slot on my older mags.

Any further details on if Magpul Mags will work?
View Quote
Worked fine for 100 rounds for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nobody else pick one up yet?  I am surprised after all the excitement.
View Quote
Nobody else can find them...
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nobody else can find them...
View Quote
Lots of people looking...they must have been snatched up fast. Every buyer isn't a member here so don't be surprised. While the AR market is down, they can be had very cheap now, the market for this rifle is HOT. Don't think Ruger isn't happy to see this one hit the market. They will crank up production if this continues.

I have my name on a list at a near by LARGE dealer (80% of his business is internet ....you would know the name....it has  KY in it). Problem is I suspect many others have their name on that list also. I suspect every dealer has a long waiting list and it will take time for Ruger to catch up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I ran it in minus 18 degrees today for another 100 rounds.  While the trigger guard is far from glove friendly there was no problems.  I ran with Magpul 15 and 21 rounders.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know, I am not a huge fan either.  Especially since I am not sure of the quality.
View Quote
One came with my 10-22 takedown, and it seems to be pretty good quality. But, it's brown since I got a mica-whatever model, and I'd prefer a black bag for the PC9, but certainly don't want to pay $90 for a $400 gun... Not that it matters, need to get a couple RAR's before the PC9 anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One came with my 10-22 takedown, and it seems to be pretty good quality. But, it's brown since I got a mica-whatever model, and I'd prefer a black bag for the PC9, but certainly don't want to pay $90 for a $400 gun... Not that it matters, need to get a couple RAR's before the PC9 anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, I am not a huge fan either.  Especially since I am not sure of the quality.
$90 is the least of my concerns...I think I'll end up spending a lot of money gear-queering this thing up (optic, suppressor, maybe SBR it, light, new stock, etc).
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lots of people looking...they must have been snatched up fast. Every buyer isn't a member here so don't be surprised. While the AR market is down, they can be had very cheap now, the market for this rifle is HOT. Don't think Ruger isn't happy to see this one hit the market. They will crank up production if this continues.

I have my name on a list at a near by LARGE dealer (80% of his business is internet ....you would know the name....it has  KY in it). Problem is I suspect many others have their name on that list also. I suspect every dealer has a long waiting list and it will take time for Ruger to catch up.
View Quote
I suppose your right.  My serial number though is in the 1300 range, my dealer didn't even order it and neither did I.  Although I am first on the list for a second one when it comes in.   Goes to show how small the internet posting portion of the gun market is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

$90 is the least of my concerns...I think I'll end up spending a lot of money gear-queering this thing up (optic, suppressor, maybe SBR it, light, new stock, etc).
View Quote
Yup, me too, depending on how it runs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Really excited about this - but I'm going to wait for a non-takedown version.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I have mine on pre-order with a one man shop who deals almost exclusively in rugers, as in "Has dinner with the CEO at SHOT" level of ruger dealings.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Really excited about this - but I'm going to wait for a non-takedown version.
View Quote
I doubt they would undercut themselves by making one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have mine on pre-order with a one man shop who deals almost exclusively in rugers, as in "Has dinner with the CEO at SHOT" level of ruger dealings.
View Quote
Then why hasn't he gotten one yet?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Couldn't the same argument be made about the 10/22?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t know about undercutting but since this will be very low volume compared to the 10/22 I imagine it will be a long time before we see a whole new variant that would require different parts and tooling. My money is on this and a bunch of cool distributor exclusives as the aftermarket picks up. But maybe I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#43]
If anything, someone else might make a receiver w/ a fixed bbl, that will drop into a Ruger stock & take all Ruger parts, if Ruger doesn't do it.  That receiver looks dead simple other than the locking lugs for the bbl.  Rather than a screw in bbl, someone might make a receiver that takes AR-9 bbls, & thus AR forends.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Then why hasn't he gotten one yet?
View Quote
Because he ordered 20? Only reason i can see.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Want.
View Quote
I got mine.

Attachment Attached File

I shot over 300 rounds through it the day I got it, all suppressed with my TM Isis-2 9mm can.

No problems excluding a few failures to feed with Winchester USA Forged 9mm, which I had not used before but I have not heard anything good about.

I was a bit worried that the left side charging slot would puke a lot of gas while shooting suppressed, but that was not the case.

Looking at how it functions, the bolt does not travel far enough for the bolt face to get into the charging slots, basically keeps the charging slots closed.

It is everything I was expecting it to be and a bit more.

The trigger is BX-Trigger quality, so this is one of the nicest out of the box PCC triggers I have ever personally tried.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Someone needs to post a picture of one with a G18 magazine
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I got mine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/120201/ruger-pcc9mm-right-416349.JPG

I shot over 300 rounds through it the day I got it, all suppressed with my TM Isis-2 9mm can.

No problems excluding a few failures to feed with Winchester USA Forged 9mm, which I had not used before but I have not heard anything good about.

I was a bit worried that the left side charging slot would puke a lot of gas while shooting suppressed, but that was not the case.

Looking at how it functions, the bolt does not travel far enough for the bolt face to get into the charging slots, basically keeps the charging slots closed.

It is everything I was expecting it to be and a bit more.

The trigger is BX-Trigger quality, so this is one of the nicest out of the box PCC triggers I have ever personally tried.
View Quote
How does the Deadblow affect the recoil on it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How does the Deadblow affect the recoil on it?
View Quote
Not too surprising that as a 6lb+ 9mm carbine the PCC-9 does not have much in the way of recoil.

I am happy the bolt assembly with its tungsten weight is 20.65 ounces.

Too many 9mm blow backs have bolts that are too light, like my MPA 30DMG which is something like 15 ounces.

Even with a barrel 3.2x longer the (16" vs 5") suppressor gas blow back was negligible on the Ruger PCC-9.

Recoil is also noticeably less on the PCC-9 vs the 30DMG, I think this is because of the reduced bolt velocity do to the much greater bolt mass.

The conventional rifle lay out of the PCC-9 helps as well.

Not that the 30DMG has brutal recoil or anything.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not too surprising that as a 6lb+ 9mm carbine the PCC-9 does not have much in the way of recoil.

I am happy the bolt assembly with its tungsten weight is 20.65 ounces.

Too many 9mm blow backs have bolts that are too light, like my MPA 30DMG which is something like 15 ounces.

Even with a barrel 3.2x longer the (16" vs 5") suppressor gas blow back was negligible on the Ruger PCC-9.

Recoil is also noticeably less on the PCC-9 vs the 30DMG, I think this is because of the reduced bolt velocity do to the much greater bolt mass.

The conventional rifle lay out of the PCC-9 helps as well.

Not that the 30DMG has brutal recoil or anything.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/120201/mpa30dmg_rs-416403.JPG
View Quote
Is it still a fairly sharp recoil impulse like a scorpion has?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]
On mine, I noticed that the initial phase of recoil with the bullet firing is basically the same as other blowbacks.  The 2nd phase where the bolt reaches it reward most position is deadened some by the deadblow effect, normally you would get a little muzzle rise at that time(in a conventionally stocked firearm), but given the power of a 9mm and weight of the rifle this really isn't an issue.  The most improved part for me is in the 3rd phase of recoil where the bolt slams home and normally you would get muzzle dip.  It can be significant with guns like the scorpion with its heavy heavy bolt.  For me the deadblow seems to have improved that, when I fire it and compare it to my PC9.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top