Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully aftermarket manufacturers will step up and realize the awesome potential this little gun offers.  Darn I have already thought of so many things you could make for it.  I wonder how much weight could be saved by playing with different stocks?  That's really my only complaint.  It's about one pound on the heavy side.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully aftermarket manufacturers will step up and realize the awesome potential this little gun offers.  Darn I have already thought of so many things you could make for it.  I wonder how much weight could be saved by playing with different stocks?  That's really my only complaint.  It's about one pound on the heavy side.
View Quote
Yeah, it ain't light.

That said, it really handles well for me with an Aimpoint PRO on it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The aftermarket will come. Don’t forget how new it is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Taccom 3G makes aftermarket accessories like an extended charging handle and the flared magwell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally picked up one at my price point, $500. Harrisburg PA show had plenty to chose from. $540 Tax etc out the door. Now to find Glock mags.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Taccom 3G makes aftermarket accessories like an extended charging handle and the flared magwell.
View Quote
That is who I was thinking of. I always get excited when I click their PCC link and see lightweight barrels but then letdown when I realize they are for AR pattern guns.

Ruger PCC specific accessories
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool. I have the original PC9 and the only aftermarket support we got were buttstock mag pouches.

And those were discontinued after a couple of years.

Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool. I have the original PC9 and the only aftermarket support we got were buttstock mag pouches.

And those were discontinued after a couple of years.

View Quote
Those guns like the Marlins were bastards of their day. I’m waiting to see some cool stock and barrel options.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I probably have 700 rounds of random junk ammo through mine and I haven't had a single issue, but my dad has. He has shot a total of 30 rounds, a 15 round mag per range session, and he has somehow had a malfunction each time...
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Now to find Glock mags.
View Quote
I went the other direction and picked  up 3-4 Ruger mags here in the EE from guys going Glock.

I bought a M&P9 as I saw the vid where the guy modded a S&W mags  to work in the carbine.
I do not like the M&P so I'm going to sell and get a Ruger SR9 Instead.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I went the other direction and picked  up 3-4 Ruger mags here in the EE from guys going Glock.

I bought a M&P9 as I saw the vid where the guy modded a S&W mags  to work in the carbine.
I do not like the M&P so I'm going to sell and get a Ruger SR9 Instead.
View Quote
If you're going to stick with the Ruger pistol comparability, check out the American Pro pistol.  Very nice option for the money, IMO, and I've thought about buying one a few times.

Also you could get the 9E, or security, and have the longer mags work in the shorter gun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I probably have 700 rounds of random junk ammo through mine and I haven't had a single issue, but my dad has. He has shot a total of 30 rounds, a 15 round mag per range session, and he has somehow had a malfunction each time...
View Quote
Make sure he uses the knob to set the barrel to the right setting...mine was way off from the factory; wouldn’t even chamber a round half the time. Set it and it’s been perfect ever since. I don’t count this as a flaw because the manual tells you you have to do exactly this before shooting it.

If he already did that....what mags is he using?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Make sure he uses the knob to set the barrel to the right setting...mine was way off from the factory; wouldn’t even chamber a round half the time. Set it and it’s been perfect ever since. I don’t count this as a flaw because the manual tells you you have to do exactly this before shooting it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel is set correctly and it’s only been off twice. I honestly find the takedown feature worthless.

I was using 15 or 21 round pmags like I always do with this rifle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The barrel is set correctly and it’s only been off twice. I honestly find the takedown feature worthless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would try some genuine Glock mags in his and see what it does.

His may not like the Pmags some some reason.

Try this then you will know for certain.If it wont run with Glock mags send it back to Ruger to fix
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a friend who's long in the tooth as far as salts go and he could and still can find a way innocent enough to jam or break anything that was in perfect condition seconds ago.

Can't explain it, but these people do in fact exist
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Does it work as advertised with the Ruger mag?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a friend who's long in the tooth as far as salts go and he could and still can find a way innocent enough to jam or break anything that was in perfect condition seconds ago.

Can't explain it, but these people do in fact exist
View Quote
That’s pretty much me when it comes to computers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Try this then you will know for certain.If it wont run with Glock mags send it back to Ruger to fix
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I might have confused a person or two here. I’m trying to say that he has shot MY gun on a couple occasions. My gun has has ran over 700 rounds flawlessly for me with pmags (or oem) but each time he has shot MY rifle he has had a malfunction.

So MY rifle has had two malfunctions in around 700 rounds but only when my father shoots it, which was for a total of 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think I might have confused a person or two here. I’m trying to say that he has shot MY gun on a couple occasions. My gun has has ran over 700 rounds flawlessly for me with pmags (or oem) but each time he has shot MY rifle he has had a malfunction.

So MY rifle has had two malfunctions in around 700 rounds but only when my father shoots it, which was for a total of 30 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh,ok gotcha.

Weird. Guess the little Ruger doesnt like him for some reason
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]
What say about this scope for a lightweight magnified option?  I think it would really increase the fun factor a bit.  I'd mount it in Warne QD rings.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-V-3-1-3X20-Riflescope-Matte/dp/B0000V2EBM/ref=sr_1_17?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1529772248&sr=1-17&refinements=p_4%3AWeaver

Won't break the bank either.  I have one of their little 2-7 rimfire scopes on a 10/22 and have been really happy with it.  Made in Japan, too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What say about this scope for a lightweight magnified option?  I think it would really increase the fun factor a bit.  I'd mount it in Warne QD rings.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-V-3-1-3X20-Riflescope-Matte/dp/B0000V2EBM/ref=sr_1_17?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1529772248&sr=1-17&refinements=p_4%3AWeaver

Won't break the bank either.  I have one of their little 2-7 rimfire scopes on a 10/22 and have been really happy with it.  Made in Japan, too.
View Quote
For load development only and mounted to a quick release? Sure.

But for a 100 yard maybe rifle, a red dot is the better option for myself personally speaking.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For load development only and mounted to a quick release? Sure.

But for a 100 yard maybe rifle, a red dot is the better option for myself personally speaking.
View Quote
I have astigmatism that requires me to use a >3MOA dot for it not to look like crap.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have astigmatism that requires me to use a >3MOA dot for it not to look like crap.
View Quote
Well my regards, that does indeed stink.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe check out Primary Arms selection of prism sights.

They have a new one coming out called the Cyclops,not magnified but it looks really cool.Might try one out on the Ruger,it looks like a good option.

Here is the link over in the industry section of the forums

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/1x-Prism-scope-/325-285110/
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:29:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Held one today, disappointed in how heavy it is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's only 6.8 pounds
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's only 6.8 pounds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only 6.8 pounds
It's chunky.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's only 6.8 pounds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only 6.8 pounds
I keep reading how heavy the gun is. I got mine a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. No, it's not as light as a 10/22, but I wouldn't expect it to be. I found it very well balanced and easy to handle. The weight reminds me of a pre-580 Mini-14. I never liked rifles with heavy barrels that didn't need them, resulting in the gun being front heavy. This is not the case with the Ruger PC.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
That stoped me from buying one also.
I expected 5-5.5 lbs for a PCC.
I can build a PSA AR9 for less money and be around 6lbs and the kids can train on similar weapons.

But I will end up with one of these I am sure.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Prisms are nice but I really want to keep the weight down (it's already heavy enough).  I find that the larger red dots of 4MOA and larger look OK to my eyes.  Maybe I'll look at some of those.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I keep reading how heavy the gun is. I got mine a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. No, it's not as light as a 10/22, but I wouldn't expect it to be. I found it very well balanced and easy to handle. The weight reminds me of a pre-580 Mini-14. I never liked rifles with heavy barrels that didn't need them, resulting in the gun being front heavy. This is not the case with the Ruger PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only 6.8 pounds
After a life of carrying M60's, M249's, M4's and A2's with the M203, and A4 and M4 with full kit, 6.8 is indeed fabulous. I expect my rifles in any caliber to be under 10 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's only 6.8 pounds
View Quote
Hell yeah, that is a pound lighter than a M16a1. Not sure what you guys are bitching about!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hell yeah, that is a pound lighter than a M16a1. Not sure what you guys are bitching about!
View Quote
6.3 I think but the M1 carbine was close to ideal in weight.
And with a bad back and knee but still enjoying a walk armed with rifle onces matter.
IMHO
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And with a bad back and knee but still enjoying a walk armed with rifle onces matter.
IMHO
View Quote
So for a person in your condition, yes.

For those not in your condition, 6.8 is not enough to actually matter.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO

People like you crack me up. Shaving a pound or more off this rifle would be great but instead it’s implied that anyone who wishes it to be lighter is weak. What’s funny is that some of us are actually using these guns for action/speed shooting and weight can be a hindrance.

A Sub2K is 4.25# unloaded. Surely we can find some middle ground.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m guessing it’s intentional because of the straight blowback action. Too light and the recoil might impact the longevity of the gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’m guessing it’s intentional because of the straight blowback action. Too light and the recoil might impact the longevity of the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The receiver and bolt take the beating. You can still lighten the rest of the gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The receiver and bolt take the beating. You can still lighten the rest of the gun.
View Quote
We need McMillan to make a "light fill" set of front/rear stocks for the PC carbine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We need McMillan to make a "light fill" set of front/rear stocks for the PC carbine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The market will respond. The weight is one of the main things I see mentioned. I also think we will see some lighter barrels as there is a lot of weight tied up there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#41]
While I don’t think the weight is a problem, I’m sure the aftermarket will have options to make it lighter.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
While I don’t think the weight is a problem, I’m sure the aftermarket will have options to make it lighter.
View Quote
I agree.

Before i bought mine lots of people were saying its heavy.

After buying one,its not heavy at all. I like it the way it is weight wise.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
The receiver and the bolt are such a huge percentage of the weight here that I’m not really sure you can do much with the rest of the gun to make a ton of difference.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The receiver and the bolt are such a huge percentage of the weight here that I’m not really sure you can do much with the rest of the gun to make a ton of difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lightweight barrel would change the feel and balance dramatically
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A lightweight barrel would change the feel and balance dramatically
View Quote
Cool, so add the cost of a new barrel to the price tag and you’re in the range of some other 9mm carbines.

I wanted to like this thing. With all the 9mm ARs around, I don’t see the point though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#46]
It's just a matter of time before we see an integrally suppressed barrel. Would this make it inherently lighter or heavier?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I agree.

View Quote
It's not "too heavy", it's just heavier than it SHOULD be.  It's a 9mm for crying out loud.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I agree.

View Quote
It isn't lightweight, but it also isn't heavy.  But it's well balanced, which I thoroughly enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Cool, so add the cost of a new barrel to the price tag and you’re in the range of some other 9mm carbines.

I wanted to like this thing. With all the 9mm ARs around, I don’t see the point though.
View Quote
Which carbines? It’s not a AR. Some of us like traditionally shaped rifles. For competition I find they point a lot more naturally than a AR platform. Not everything needs to be a AR.
Quoted:
It's just a matter of time before we see an integrally suppressed barrel. Would this make it inherently lighter or heavier?
View Quote
I’m guessing it will be close to the same but it really depends on how it is set up internally.
Quoted:

It's not "too heavy", it's just heavier than it SHOULD be.  It's a 9mm for crying out loud.
View Quote
That’s about where I’m at.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

That big chunk of steel behind the bolt is a lot of the weight.

Yeah its not perfect,maybe a Magpul stock and it would be close to perfect for me,although i do like the factory stock
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top