Site Notices
Page / 33
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright boys and girls. I apologize if I'm stepping on Mr.Lynch's toes but I will take on this challenge. I don't know if there will ever be a finished product so don't start getting your hopes up but I"m going to do my best.

I'm going to need some help though. Not having my own TP9 may prove to be my biggest obstacle. But why not give it a shot?
Some of the dimensions I need are as follows:

Length of the pistol grip, I will make the forward grip slightly smaller and shorter of course but I want something to base it off of.

The distance between the two holes for the screws.
Thread pitch for the screws.

And any info you can give me on the "mounting plate".

http://i.imgur.com/CVaclKWh.jpg?1

Thanks!
View Quote
This is a 1:1 licensed version in Airsoft, should be helpful for getting the measurments/shape of the VFG:
Only $25 shipped
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Alright boys and girls. I apologize if I'm stepping on Mr.Lynch's toes but I will take on this challenge. I don't know if there will ever be a finished product so don't start getting your hopes up but I"m going to do my best.

I'm going to need some help though. Not having my own TP9 may prove to be my biggest obstacle. But why not give it a shot?
Some of the dimensions I need are as follows:

Length of the pistol grip, I will make the forward grip slightly smaller and shorter of course but I want something to base it off of.

The distance between the two holes for the screws.
Thread pitch for the screws.

And any info you can give me on the "mounting plate".

http://i.imgur.com/CVaclKWh.jpg?1

Here's some info-

The mounting plate just has to be flat on the bottom.

No worries about thread pitch as when you remove the original pictanny rail
you just have holes in the plastic.

Mine currently has a custom made pictanny rail that is bolted on like the pic above.
Allen head machine screw from the bottom and nut on the inside.

If someone else doesn't post the spacing I'll get it later this weekend.

Also you need to be careful the foregrip isn't to thick as the stock won't latch
shut as you can see in the above pics it almost touches it.

Also I personally would love storage as I current keep a copy of the form 4 in
there.

Thanks-
Shea

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is a 1:1 licensed version in Airsoft, should be helpful for getting the measurments/shape of the VFG:
Only $25 shipped
View Quote
lsting was removed
Everything I"m finding $200+
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's some info-

Mine currently has a custom made pictanny rail that is bolted on like the pic above.

Also you need to be careful the foregrip isn't to thick as the stock won't latch

Also I personally would love storage as I current keep a copy of the form 1 in
there.

Thanks-
Shea
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Here's some info-

Also I personally would love storage as I current keep a copy of the form 1 in
there.

Thanks-
Shea
View Quote
Awesome.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#7]
EDIT Something with the site's hyper linking is messing up the eBay links. Just search for "airsoft mp9" and the first hit you get is the $26 refurb MP9.

I can also try to get measurements and photos, but it will be Tuesday before I can manage as I'm out of town for the holiday weekend. From memory the area where the grip needs to attach is odd... not only is it at an angle with non planar vertical fasteners, the plane it mates to has a very slight V taper to it like a boat hull. Also the room you have inside the receiver for fasteners is very limited due to the positioning of the trigger return spring. Also of note, right in the middle of the spot the vertical grip will go is the exposed serial number plate... it will be covered by the grip, meaning you will need to rely on the barrel mount block serial number location (which is covered by the upper shell when assembled).
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
EDIT Something with the site's hyper linking is messing up the eBay links. Just search for "airsoft mp9" and the first hit you get is the $26 refurb MP9.

I can also try to get measurements and photos, but it will be Tuesday before I can manage as I'm out of town for the holiday weekend.
View Quote
Bought it. It should be much easier now.
I'm pretty sure the grip is just molded into the "receiver" but this will give me a good base line, after that I'll just have to figure out hole placement.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried as well, it appears it is sold out but not closing the auction to more buyers. If you look closely the auction says 25 of 25 sold...

EDIT or is it 25 of 50? That auction is flakey...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I tried as well, it appears it is sold out but not closing the auction to more buyers. If you look closely the auction says 25 of 25 sold...

EDIT or is it 25 of 50? That auction is flakey...
View Quote
Yea it was odd. Ebay's good about that kind of stuff though. Plus the sellers got a ton of stuff for sale.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bought it. It should be much easier now.
I'm pretty sure the grip is just molded into the "receiver" but this will give me a good base line, after that I'll just have to figure out hole placement.
View Quote
On the machine guns that is the case. The semi autos and the rail guns are like the Steyr SPP, they have the little finger stop but no grip and replace it with a metal serial number plate to comply with US import law.

The actual vertical grip on the machine guns is at a specific angle, length and width to accommodate the folding stock when closed. The flat spots allow the stock to fully close, and while closed the angle and position of the grip matches the angle of the stock's butt pad. There is even a little scallop in the stock for your thumb while holding the vertical grip with the stock closed. The two parts really act in harmony with each other, which is why finding a GOOD functional rail mount grip for the TP9 is a PITA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

On the machine guns that is the case. The semi autos and the rail guns are like the Steyr SPP, they have the little finger stop but no grip and replace it with a metal serial number plate to comply with US import law.

The actual vertical grip on the machine guns is at a specific angle, length and width to accommodate the folding stock when closed. The flat spots allow the stock to fully close, and while closed the angle and position of the grip matches the angle of the stock's butt pad. There is even a little scallop in the stock for your thumb while holding the vertical grip with the stock closed. The two parts really act in harmony with each other, which is why finding a GOOD functional rail mount grip for the TP9 is a PITA.
View Quote
If there's a will there's a way.
But yea this is why I really like to have something in hand to base things off of. Without the model or this info I'm 99% sure the first couple prototypes would have turned out like shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]
When I get home Monday night I'll take the rail off my gun and get as many pics as I can get from inside and out (including pics of the rail and the two mounting screws) if no one else beats me to the punch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I get home Monday night I'll take the rail off my gun and get as many pics as I can get from inside and out (including pics of the rail and the two mounting screws) if no one else beats me to the punch.
View Quote
Excellent. The more info I can get the easier it makes my job. It also means less wait time for you guys.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking forward to what you come up with!!!  Thank you
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Count me in for a front grip please!

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm getting to this a little late!

I have the ASG B+T licensed MP9A1 and I'm taking pictures of it with the TP9 now.

It's worth it to buy the ASG licensed airsoft for a TP9 owner just to round out the collection.

PICS AND MEASUREMENTS TO FOLLOW!

ETA: Pictures and text

The ASG Airsoft receiver is narrower than the real steel by about 0.050".  

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Halfnattygainz did you get an airsoft copy?

If not I also have the licensed version, the vertical grip is molded into it so figuring out the bolt holes wouldnt work but you could copy the grip itself.

If you are serious about the project i would gladly send it to you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Halfnattygainz did you get an airsoft copy?

If not I also have the licensed version, the vertical grip is molded into it so figuring out the bolt holes wouldnt work but you could copy the grip itself.

If you are serious about the project i would gladly send it to you.
View Quote
I appreciate the help. So far ebay says I"m going to get one.
The seller has a bunch of feed back so I'm thinking I should get it.
That being said, est. delivery is June 6th.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay sounds good.

Was hoping i could save you a few bucks.

Im also in on a grip if you have success.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
This is what I did.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't even own one yet but I'm down for a foregrip if there is going to be a run made.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sanded a grip down?
View Quote
It's a aluminum vertical grip I bought from botach and then machined it down to the length you see.  The flat spot was already on it.  It's for mounting tape switches to it.

CSF

I think it was a Kley-Zion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's a aluminum vertical grip I bought from botach and then machined it down to the length you see.  The flat spot was already on it.  It's for mounting tape switches to it.

CSF

I think it was a Kley-Zion.
View Quote
That's actually a pretty good idea.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
If anyone wants to lend me the a rail, I'm sure between the airsoft replica and the rail I could make a good grip with my first go around.
I would use the rail to get the hole spacing correct.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
FADALdude beat me to the pics, but I can loan out my rail and screws if necessary.

IM me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Boom!
Didn't even see those pictures there. Thanks guys

DUDE, those pictures are phenomenal!!! They're a huge help! Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#29]
45 minutes with the dimensions you guys gave me and this is what I have so far.
Once I get the airsoft replica in, I'll be able to finalize everything and put in the gripping slots.
Say, 2 weeks away from seeing some prototypes?

Oops. I was so excited I forgot the picture.
Consider this a sketch. And still in the pre-pre-pre-development stage.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How many of those accessories fit the original SPP?

I've owned one for years... never shoot it... sits in a box.
View Quote
The MP9 top cover will drop on your SPP.

ETA:  The time is now if you want to SBR your SPP.  The Steyr Factory fixed stocks are available for ~$400.00 which is a steal for what they used to go for.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Badass! I want!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure what the production method would be, but I recently received an excellent 3D printed sample part from MarkForged, which prints with embeded carbon fiber.
https://markforged.com/materials/?gclid=CKKMkJbtmNQCFUNcfgod88gD1w

The sample part was a small popsicle stick that was so rigid it could not be bent/flexed by hand.

Will look for some 3D print services that have that material available.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not sure what the production method would be, but I recently received an excellent 3D printed sample part from MarkForged, which prints with embeded carbon fiber.
https://markforged.com/materials/?gclid=CKKMkJbtmNQCFUNcfgod88gD1w

The sample part was a small popsicle stick that was so rigid it could not be bent/flexed by hand.
http://3dprinterusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/markforged-sample-small.png

Will look for some 3D print services that have that material available.
View Quote
Yea, so basically our company has produced some parts that are printed with a nylon. There's no "staircasing" in the parts we've made so far. The nylon used is really strong, strong enough that eventually I want to try to my some actual receivers from the nylon.
Carbon fiber is pretty strong too, I may look into that. I believe that is what yetiwurks is printing their Evo grips with.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've heard the triggers on them are pretty bad, any truth to that?
View Quote
If it's anything like the SPP, it'll be awful.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If it's anything like the SPP, it'll be awful.
View Quote
It's an improvement on the SPP.  It's not a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't have a TP9 only because they put the serial number in the wrong place, and you can't add a proper vertical fore grip.... Until now.  If I can buy that grip, I will buy the rest to go on it.

/take_my_money.jpg/
View Quote
I'm confused, all the grips I see cover the serial.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Good news! Airsoft clone should be Friday!
Prototype should be available end of next week.
As far as the attachment method goes, I figured to help keep the cost down, I would design the grip so a hex head screw would sit flush and a nut could support the grip from the inside of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
True, but the serial number is also on the barrel.

Thanks-
Shea
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good news! Airsoft clone should be Friday!
Prototype should be available end of next week.
As far as the attachment method goes, I figured to help keep the cost down, I would design the grip so a hex head screw would sit flush and a nut could support the grip from the inside of the receiver.
View Quote
That sounds perfect! I can't wait to finally have something that looks "right" on this SBR. Please add storage to the grip if at all possible.

Thanks-
Shea
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks-
Shea
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks-
Shea
Covering the SN isn't an issue.  It isn't getting obliterated or defaced.  Lots of lever actions out there with scope mounts that cover the SN on the receiver. There has to be a thousand SNs covered with spray paint on this board.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I got my airsoft version today.
The little tab that keeps the stock closed was broken off on mine.
Damn even the airsoft version is super cool. I'm going to have to get me one of these.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I assume the airsoft clone is made out of PVC and not nylon?

I know back in the early days there was a lot of talk of people buying the airsoft stocks to use on their SBRs when the real stocks were scarce.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know back in the early days there was a lot of talk of people buying the airsoft stocks to use on their SBRs when the real stocks were scarce.
View Quote
Yea probably PVC. The body looks like its ABS but I'm not certain.  I could definitely see someone using an airsoft stock if a real one wasn't available.

I touched up a bunch of small things with the geometry. I'm going to go to see what hardware I want to use tomorrow. Using the photos I estimated that the holes are about 3/16".
As far as storage in the bottom goes, I figured I'd design the hole at a standard size (1" at the moment) so that anyone could get a plug for it and store paperwork, batteries, skittles, whatever you needed to in there.
So far so good! Couple of challenges along the way though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Im not familiar with 3D printing but is it possible to make it FDE?  That is the color of my tp9; either way I am very in.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Im not familiar with 3D printing but is it possible to make it FDE?  That is the color of my tp9; either way I am very in.
View Quote
At the moment we're still outsourcing the actual printing. The company doesn't support tan printing. Sorry about that.  But we're exploring different options for the future.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

At the moment we're still outsourcing the actual printing. The company doesn't support tan printing. Sorry about that.  But we're exploring different options for the future.
View Quote
If you're outsourcing the prints, 3D Hubs has a long list of companies who 3D print in carbon fiber reinforced nylon:
https://www.3dhubs.com/material-group/fiber-reinforced-nylon

You just upload the file and then get quotes from numerous printers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yea probably PVC. The body looks like its ABS but I'm not certain.  I could definitely see someone using an airsoft stock if a real one wasn't available.

I touched up a bunch of small things with the geometry. I'm going to go to see what hardware I want to use tomorrow. Using the photos I estimated that the holes are about 3/16".
As far as storage in the bottom goes, I figured I'd design the hole at a standard size (1" at the moment) so that anyone could get a plug for it and store paperwork, batteries, skittles, whatever you needed to in there.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418820/tp9-2-222130.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418820/tp9-2-222130.JPG
Looking awesome, can't wait!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Ordered the first prototype!

Pricing and ordering info should be out soon.

Pics to come once I get the grip.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ordered the first prototype!

Pricing and ordering info should be out soon.

Pics to come once I get the grip.
View Quote

Looking forward to the results!
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top