BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
I looked at one today . The fit and finish was outstanding and this is coming from a fit and finish snob .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
I looked at one today . The fit and finish was outstanding and this is coming from a fit and finish snob .

My new Ruger/Marlin 336 is the nicest lever gun that I have ever shot. The fit and finish is the best that I have every seen. But that's round one of these guns. I'm really curious to see how they look in 5 years. Hopefully the same or better.

Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:
I'm looking forward to checking one out to compare it to my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag that I bought in 1994.  For like $400 bucks new!

We can't really compare prices from 30 years ago. In 1986 I paid $207 for a new SS Ruger Blackhawk flavored in .357, delivered to my home.

The cost of materials have gone through the roof in the last 2-3 years.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked up a ruger made marlin 1894 this week for $990 out the door.

Shes a great looking rifle and I have been waiting for this one to be released for a while.

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Here’s a few pics

It has some great looking wood

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh my! That's a beauty
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Duh they should have done it in stainless SBL at that price
View Quote
Amen!
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 3:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#6]
Originally Posted By bishopm14:
Interesting that they went with a barrel band instead of a nose cap for the forearm, seems like for years the vast majority of 1894s were the nose cap style.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:

There are at least 3 companies offering safety deletes for those that aren't too much of a faggot pussy to install it. There's even one available with a saddle ring if you want to be a real he man.
View Quote

It is a 5 minute change out if you do it slow and don't spill your beer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:45:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#9]
They have done market research I guess.  Perhaps they don't think the market can bear the same price on the dark.  Perhaps they want to limit production...  I don't know.  But I have enough of the traditional ones, but my Dark collection is missing a few.

I have a SS 45/70 and a SS factory threaded 357 (tons of fun).  I kind of wish I would have gotten one of the limited run 45/70's instead, but I went cheep - then the green laminate with black SS went away never to return.  Got a Dark 45/70 the week before the Covid scare really started (it was at the very best price I ever saw them, the run on them had just ended, and Covid had not quite started), then managed to snag a 44 Dark right before they went away (I had one on back order for months, but then grabbed one off of gun broker - I don't think my LGS ever got one) - need to play with it more, but so far it is my favorite.  FWIW, also got a Dark 30-30, but it was a graduation gift for my daughter-in-law, so that really did not count - by then Covid was in full bloom and AR15's were crazy priced.

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Are the barrels in spec or .003 oversized like mine from 2015?
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 1:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#11]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Duh they should have done it in stainless SBL at that price
View Quote
At least it has a non-pistol grip stock.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Is it drilled and tapped for scope mounts?
View Quote
yes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Are the barrels in spec or .003 oversized like mine from 2015?
View Quote

This is the real question.  

Every gun and pawn shop in Texas is overflowing with near new Marlin 44 mags and 45-70s.

The 44 mags were about as accurate as a slingshot, and the little 45-70s sure seemed like a great idea until… recoil.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody know if Ruger has gone back to using the lower support lugs on the bolt that Remington eliminated?
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By golfish:

It's kind for like they wanted to slow down on sales. This one could be the least desired of the bunch. I'm not a fan of the SS laminate models one bit but they are a big seller.
View Quote

They will sell every unit they make without issue.  There has been a drought in certain lever guns.

If they make blued and wood classics then the cowboy action crowd and traditionalists (me)will buy.
If they make the stainless modern tactical version then the Wind River dreamers will buy them.

Nothing will sit on the shelf that long at all.

I have been waiting to get a Miroku Winchester 1892.  I’d take any of them under 20” I think.  Might go with a large loop just because it has the better ladder sight.   If I hate the loop I’d replace it.   I think I will hate the loop.   I think a replacement lever is as cheap or cheaper than the ladder sight.  A 20” short rifle or a carbine would be as good.   In a perfect world I’d have round barreled .357 with ladder sights and a shotgun butt plate.  Better than the carbine plate or the rifle crescent.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:
Anybody know if Ruger has gone back to using the lower support lugs on the bolt that Remington eliminated?
View Quote

I did a little research and was able to answer my own question. Ruger has, in fact, restored the bottom lugs to the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw a new 336 and 1894 at a shop a few weeks ago and they were both very nice looking guns. Fit and finish was perfect and they had really nice wood.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I handled a new one in a local gun shop and was pretty impressed with it.  Great fit and finish, including wood to metal fit.  Was priced at $1050.  Would make about $1150 out the door.  I resisted, even though I was looking to spend money.

Today I ordered one online for $980 delivered.  Why?  Cuz I made a list the other day of my "revolver and rifle" combos and realized that I didn't have a good fit for .44 Special.  My Rossi .44 Mag is not necessarily reliable with Specials, but the Marlin is listed/designed/rated for both.  That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#20]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

To me straight stocks and levers go hand in hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
Stupid straight stock, never liked that. Would want a pistol grip so I can use the sights. Especially for that money..

Looks like Henry is still the winner. Unless your have a 1894PG, which I do.

To me straight stocks and levers go hand in hand.
Lever actions should be straight stocked.  I have the Marlin 336Y in it's pistol grip.  Only thing I dislike about the gun.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
PSA has them for $999 today

PSA
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top