Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TilemanTim] [#1]
Ok gimme a minute    And thank you

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I'm quite curious as to the "what" and "why" of your setup.  It seems unique, but well thought out.  Care to share?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That thing is wicked looking.

Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
I'm quite curious as to the "what" and "why" of your setup.  It seems unique, but well thought out.  Care to share?
View Quote

I am curious aswell. Let's hear some details.

Planning on an optic?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so it’s a 45 colt.   Pretty interesting round     The hot aft defense round is insane.    And the basic cowboy slug leaves a proper dime hole at 50
Yards.            

Ranger point hand guard.  I installed it
Streamlight pro-tac light.
M-lok off set light mount
O-light cord management
I mounted the pressure switch precisely where my fingers
Wrap the hand guard
Magpul hand stop
Hammer extension from ranger point
I straight tied the paracord around the lever  
Leather stock wrap and sling - little. Added comfort and they both hold
Extra rounds it’s the Henry X.  So it comes with night sites.  And I pulled it out of the box and shot dead on at 50 yards.

Was Thinking about maybe putting  trijicon SRO on it    Undecided.  It shoots so accurate as is.    

And this rifle is awesome.   It’s my do all.    Home defense.    Kick a door In.  Shoot a deer.  Make a Racoon do a triple back handspring across my yard.     It’s whatever.      I do have a 4 inch muzzle brake coming.      And waiting on a can  any other questions ?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TilemanTim:
Ok so it's a 45 colt.   Pretty interesting round     The hot aft defense round is insane.    And the basic cowboy slug leaves a proper dime hole at 50
Yards.            

Ranger point hand guard.  I installed it
Streamlight pro-tac light.
M-lok off set light mount
O-light cord management
I mounted the pressure switch precisely where my fingers
Wrap the hand guard
Magpul hand stop
Hammer extension from ranger point
I straight tied the paracord around the lever  
Leather stock wrap and sling - little. Added comfort and they both hold
Extra rounds it's the Henry X.  So it comes with night sites.  And I pulled it out of the box and shot dead on at 50 yards.

Was Thinking about maybe putting  trijicon SRO on it    Undecided.  It shoots so accurate as is.    

And this rifle is awesome.   It's my do all.    Home defense.    Kick a door In.  Shoot a deer.  Make a Racoon do a triple back handspring across my yard.     It's whatever.      I do have a 4 inch muzzle brake coming.      And waiting on a can  any other questions ?
View Quote
Why is your handstop backwards?  Why the light positioned so far below the magazine tube?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is your handstop backwards?  Why the light positioned so far below the magazine tube?
View Quote

Handstop is going on the right way.   It fits my hand best this way.    And I have the ranger point hand guard.  I can only side load.   I can not use the magazine tube the normal way because the hand guard covers up the loading port.   And that flashlight is bright.    I prefer no obstructions from my barrel/ sites.       So target requisition is easy.    

Yea ?   Hope you are good and are enjoying your Friday night

Tim
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TilemanTim:

Handstop is going on the right way.   It fits my hand best this way.    And I have the ranger point hand guard.  I can only side load.   I can not use the magazine tube the normal way because the hand guard covers up the loading port.   And that flashlight is bright.    I prefer no obstructions from my barrel/ sites.       So target requisition is easy.    

Yea ?   Hope you are good and are enjoying your Friday night

Tim
View Quote
That all makes sense, I just wouldn't have thought of it that way.  

It's an awesome looking setup.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It’s all good.   I was raised on a revolver with iron sites     So I learned how to barrel aim     Using sites and a red dot was tough for me.      Had to relearn how to aim.      I have red dots on my pistols    This rifle is crazy accurate    It’s comfortable and fun to shoot.     I appreciate your interest and taking the time to hear me out
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IDigForDough] [#9]
Just picked up a Henry 45-70

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah yea.   That 45-70 is a beast.     It’s amazing how accurate these are.       Looks good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Latest iteration of mine
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:Latest iteration of mine
View Quote

That has to be uncomfortable to shoot with that deltapoint mounted so high?  

Henry sells a pretty low deltapoint mount.  Appears they buy from skinner and resell them?  
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Henry sells a pretty low deltapoint mount.  Appears they buy from skinner and resell them?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It needs to be that high for his wizard eyes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:

View All Quotes

Yeah, but I’m still considering moving to a lower mount. I can aim with the TOR IR laser under NOD.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]

What kind of spare carrier is that?0
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By corrosionguy:

Hoptic USA
View Quote

I also like the look of the staggered model from MDT

MDT round holder
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Yeah, but I’m still considering moving to a lower mount. I can aim with the TOR IR laser under NOD.
View All Quotes

I went ahead and ordered the Henry plate.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 7:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#21]

View Quote

It should work nicely for your purposes. Below is what the DPP looks like with the Skinner baseplate on my Marlin Dark. It's lowest lever gun mounting solution out there for this particular optic. You won't be disappointed.

Added Bonus: In this configuration, if you add the DPP rear iron sight and then play around with different height front sights, you can have viable, "through the optic" backup sights!
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:30:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#22]
Originally Posted By mhbaker81:

It should work nicely for your purposes. Below is what the DPP looks like with the Skinner baseplate on my Marlin Dark. It's lowest lever gun mounting solution out there for this particular optic. You won't be disappointed.

https://i.imgur.com/mSllE33.jpg

Added Bonus: In this configuration, if you add the DPP rear iron sight and then play around with different height front sights, you can have viable, "through the optic" backup sights!
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/mSllE33.jpg

Oh, I’ll have to do that!
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Below is what the DPP looks like with the Skinner baseplate on my Marlin Dark.
View Quote

Did you try it on the forward pair of holes?  If so, why do you like the rear position better?
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Just sold my cursed Rossi and hunting a Henry X in 44mag. Are these coming in in batches or what? I haven't seen more than one or two at a time for a while.

Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#25]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
Just sold my cursed Rossi and hunting a Henry X in 44mag. Are these coming in in batches or what? I haven't seen more than one or two at a time for a while.

View Quote

I literally posted a “have you seen one of these” in GD and maybe here. Someone had seen one at Scheels in Kansas City (IIRC). I called and ordered it.

ETA: @rippr334
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/619835200235
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]

I literally posted a “have you seen one of these” in GD and maybe here. Someone had seen one at Scheels in Kansas City (IIRC). I called and ordered it.

View Quote

Yeah I saw one for $850 or so at Scheels a few weeks ago and I thought that was high. Should've grabbed it I guess. Waiting on it to get back into the low 8s. I'm patient.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Yeah I saw one for $850 or so at Scheels a few weeks ago and I thought that was high. Should've grabbed it I guess. Waiting on it to get back into the low 8s. I'm patient.
View All Quotes

I just checked my receipt. Mine was $800. Probably $900 after shipping, taxes, transfer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:35:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#28]
Cut the chatter and post more pics, peeps! (Picture Thread - LOL)

... I am actually curious if Ruger will bring back the Marlin Dark line. Time will tell...
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Cut the chatter and post more pics, peeps! (Picture Thread - LOL)

... I am actually curious if Ruger will bring back the Marlin Dark line. Time will tell...
View Quote

If they do they will be expensive. And the first wave that makes it to buyers will end up on gunbroker for 2.5x retail
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Went just a little bit backward with the tactical to classic wood for my Henry X for Christmas

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#31]
The wood definitely upgrades the rifle.

Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
Went just a little bit backward with the tactical to classic wood for my Henry X for Christmas
https://i.imgur.com/25MSxOe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Bm12ext.jpg
View Quote

Excellent choice it looks great
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

I love this build. Well done!
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
That looks most excellent!
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

@rippr334
44mag Henry X in stock, $800 and they ship, likely no sales tax since you're out of state.  Skip to 1:25:

•Hump Day• 12/29/21 Exile Armory 256-613-8042. 256-294-2409 256-452-5979. Weaver, AL
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:45:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Couch-Commando] [#36]
I just discovered this thread. I'm hoping to build a Hollywood quiet lever action. I recently acquired a bubba'd Winchester 94 in 44 magnum. Someone drilled the receiver for a side mounted scope (it is top eject). The wood also had major stains from some kind of tar like substance that were horribly ugly. My refinish job did not go well. I'm about to redo it again, but I might end up getting new furniture.

My plan is to do the following;

1) Buy a Rugged Obsidian suppressor.
2) Shorten the barrel and magtube to 16'' and thread for a suppressor.
3) Install a forward picatinny rail in order to mount a red dot.
4) Mount red dot.
5) Utilize a single point sling on the side sling loop.

On the topic of furniture, I have two options. Attempt again to remove the ugly stains from the stock, and refinish, paint the stock in a camo scheme or buy a new stock. Are there any good stock manufactures? I was thinking of getting a funky looking laminate stock from Boyd's for fun.

Is there a preferred gunsmith who shortens lever action barrels and magazines?

Should I go with the no-drill picattiny rail, or should I get the version for XS that requires me to drill the front of the receiver? I'm not opposed to drilling holes, since the receiver already has ugly holes drilled in it.

Attachment Attached File

Another option is to give up and wait for a factory threaded Marlin in 45/70 to become available. My dad had a barrel threaded on one of his, and it is impressively quiet with subsonic loads. And it surprisingly doesn't kick like a mule with full power ammo with the big heavy suppressor hanging off the front. The advantage of the 44 mag is it is a very light and handy rifle. I assume it will still be so even with a suppressor.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I'm hoping to build a Hollywood quiet lever action. I

Another option is to give up and wait for a factory threaded Marlin in 45/70 to become available.
View Quote

For Hollywood quiet you need small caliber and small case volume.  Assuming you load your own ammo 357 will out-quiet 44 and 45-70.  

Class3 will cost you around $300 to shorten and thread.  

See above about quiet caliber choices.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I just discovered this thread. I'm hoping to build a Hollywood quiet lever action. I recently acquired a bubba'd Winchester 94 in 44 magnum. Someone drilled the receiver for a side mounted scope (it is top eject). The wood also had major stains from some kind of tar like substance that were horribly ugly. My refinish job did not go well. I'm about to redo it again, but I might end up getting new furniture.

My plan is to do the following;

1) Buy a Rugged Obsidian suppressor.
2) Shorten the barrel and magtube to 16'' and thread for a suppressor.
3) Install a forward picatinny rail in order to mount a red dot.
4) Mount red dot.
5) Utilize a single point sling on the side sling loop.

On the topic of furniture, I have two options. Attempt again to remove the ugly stains from the stock, and refinish, paint the stock in a camo scheme or buy a new stock. Are there any good stock manufactures? I was thinking of getting a funky looking laminate stock from Boyd's for fun.

Should I go with the no-drill picattiny rail, or should I get the version for XS that requires me to drill the front of the receiver? I'm not opposed to drilling holes, since the receiver already has ugly holes drilled in it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20211229_104137_jpg-2221539.JPG

Another option is to give up and wait for a factory threaded Marlin in 45/70 to become available. My dad had a barrel threaded on one of his, and it is impressively quiet with subsonic loads. And it surprisingly doesn't kick like a mule with full power ammo with the big heavy suppressor hanging off the front. The advantage of the 44 mag is it is a very light and handy rifle. I assume it will still be so even with a suppressor.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/prodimages/1895sbl/right_14.jpg
View Quote
Why not "lean in" and use the side scope mount with something zany, like a LPVO or occluded eye red dot?  Maybe a leather butt cuff for ammo storage, some rhino liner for the stock, shorten up/thread the barrel and tube and give it a dark grey Cerakote?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Why not "lean in" and use the side scope mount with something zany, like a LPVO or occluded eye red dot?  Maybe a leather butt cuff for ammo storage, some rhino liner for the stock, shorten up/thread the barrel and tube and give it a dark grey Cerakote?
View Quote
I'm fairly set on using a red dot. Probably a Primary Arms microdot. After stripping the stock again, the damage caused by whatever spilled on it is hopeless, so I ordered some olive drab raptor liner in spray can form to finish that. My only concern will be making sure the band still fits on the handguard.

For the mount, I'm leaning towards the XS rail. Has anyone installed one? Is the epoxy they use to secure it to the gun strictly necessary?

The main purpose of this gun will be silent plinking. The secondary purpose will maybe be deer hunting on occasion.

I also made a paracord wrap for the lever.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone have any photos of running a red dot with a magnifier on their lever gun? I’m thinking of going this route with my Marlin with XS site rail.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mountaineer86:
Anyone have any photos of running a red dot with a magnifier on their lever gun? I'm thinking of going this route with my Marlin with XS site rail.
View Quote
I have a 1x prismatic optic on my 1894 that is positioned at almost twice it's designed eyebox, but works well enough for my purposes.

I don't know that a magnifier would be so generous with its eyebox, and a lever action sight rail is much farther away from the face than most ARs.

Still doesn't mean I wouldn't also be curious about the results if someone tried it & got it to work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a 1x prismatic optic on my 1894 that is positioned at almost twice it's designed eyebox, but works well enough for my purposes.

I don't know that a magnifier would be so generous with its eyebox, and a lever action sight rail is much farther away from the face than most ARs.

Still doesn't mean I wouldn't also be curious about the results if someone tried it & got it to work.
View Quote

I think it would work from an eye relief perspective. Problem is that most red dot magnifiers are elevated for AR-15 lower 1/3 co-witness with iron sights. This would be very high if mounted on an XS rail on a levergun. You'd have to come up with a lower mounted option to retain cheek weld, and/or add a stock riser.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#43]

I think it would work from an eye relief perspective. Problem is that most red dot magnifiers are elevated for AR-15 lower 1/3 co-witness with iron sights. This would be very high if mounted on an XS rail on a levergun. You'd have to come up with a lower mounted option to retain cheek weld, and/or add a stock riser.
View Quote

After doing some research I found a magnifier mount from ADM that says it works with low mounted red dots, so I think that would work. I am very curious if anyone has tried it because I am not having any luck finding videos or photos. I may have to be the Guinea pig on this lol.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#44]
"In addition, the flip off magnifier mount comes with both 4 mm and 8mm spacers that adapt to most red dot standard sight heights to provide low, co-witness, or lower 1⁄3 co-witness alignment. Compatible with the ADM flik 3/5x, Vortex VMX-3T, Eotech G33, G43, and G45 and Primary Arms SLx 3x Magnifiers."

That is the description from ADM, I may need to contact them and see what they say about it
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#45]
@rippr334
44mag Henry X in stock, $800 and they ship, likely no sales tax since you're out of state.  Skip to 1:25:
View Quote

@rippr334
In stock again today, $850 now.  Skip to 1:15

•What did she say?• 1/15/2022 Exile Armory 256-613-8042. 256-294-2409 256-452-5979. Weaver, AL
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#46]

@rippr334

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRiohkFT73Y
View Quote

Thanks may have to give them a ring.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#47]

@rippr334

View All Quotes
@rippr334

@rippr334

That’s a great price. Jump on it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:28:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#48]
Picture thread... We are all owed for the recent indiscretions!

Post 'em up, peeps!
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mhbaker81] [#50]

Ohhhhh, babybabybabybaby!

Love it! First off, thanks for the pic. (This is a picture thread, after all.) Secondly, were you able to install that RPP rail yourself, or did you bring it to your smith? I've heard the Henrys are a little trickier than the Marlins, but don't have any hands on experience yet.

Great build. Welcome to the family!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top