Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The customer desires are real, it is the rifles that are vaporware.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, I still want a 20", round barrel .357. Hasn't gone away.
View Quote
I’d like this but w 16” bbl to get threaded. I checked several distributors over the weekend. All the Rossi R92’s have been OOS I’d say close to a year. Three of the models were allocated on lipsyes site but that’s as good as OOS. Pretty sure it’s vaporwear till I see distributors start getting them. I’ve had alerts to notify me too and have seen nothing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Aaaand,... two more weeks pass with no sign of these rifles,... yet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aaaand,... two more weeks pass with no sign of these rifles,... yet.
View Quote

No Marlins either.

Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
No .357, but Kentucky Gun Co has the 20" .44 mag blued and the 16" .45 Colt stainless in stock at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like Rossi was a 'bit' over optimistic in their timeline estimate of getting the new plant up and running.  I'm disappointed that they're now some 6 months and counting late with their new products.  I guess that my 2ea 2009 Rossis will have to do me for another 9 years.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
This quote from page 25 of the July 2018 American Rifleman.  "Taurus Holdings, Inc., plans on investing $22.5 million in Bainbridge, Ga., for a new manufacturing facility slated to bring more than 300 jobs to Decatur County."  I suppose this could be adding to any production delay as they push money from region to region.  New plant in Brazil; new plant in US.  Maybe a promise of more production in the future, but for now they have to get their goals realigned. FYI.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This quote from page 25 of the July 2018 American Rifleman.  "Taurus Holdings, Inc., plans on investing $22.5 million in Bainbridge, Ga., for a new manufacturing facility slated to bring more than 300 jobs to Decatur County."  I suppose this could be adding to any production delay as they push money from region to region.  New plant in Brazil; new plant in US.  Maybe a promise of more production in the future, but for now they have to get their goals realigned. FYI.
View Quote
I am curious if it is truly manufacturing or is it merely partial manufacturing or assembly.

It would be nice if they made a move to shore up some reputational QA issues they've had with some of their firearms.  The 92 isn't one that has a reputation fpr problems, but some of their handguns have/
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Called CS yesterday and asked what their 'revised' timeline for release is.  Their answer, "We have no information on a schedule for availability at this time."  Something must have gone wrong with production . . . . QC problems or ?????
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang, I still need a .357 to thread for a can.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dang, I still need a .357 to thread for a can.
View Quote
You and a million other people.  Looks like Rossi is back to vaporware.  Guess i will keep waiting on the Marlin offerings. Sigh.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw a new R92 in 44mag at a store today, they haven't had rossis for quite a while, obvious assumption is that it was a new arrival but no way to verify.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Another month gone by and nothing new.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]
It's sad that the Rossis are still MIA from the scene.  They are losing sales and market share big time so their new versions had better be much better and priced right or they risk fading out all together.  With the high demand for the 357mag, I can't believe that they are taking this long to fill the supply chain unless they are still having startup issues producing them.  If they are it's hard to believe that they didn't learn from Remlin's screw up when they merged.

I'm glad I got my two 357mag Rossis back in 2009 when the hysteria over YOmama and black rifles left the interest in them low. I started with the rifle length to see if I could launch a 158grn pistol bullet out to 300yds with some kind of accuracy. A Uberti cattleman SA Cavalry model pistol in 357mag completed the set, however, when my Rossi turned out to be much more accurate at that range than I thought it would be, I had to have a carbine to complete the set.  I picked up each of them for right at $400 delivered to my shooting club's FFL.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
.  I picked up each of them for right at $400 delivered to my shooting club's FFL.
View Quote
Damn am I jealous.  

I did not know I needed one until I got mixed up in suppressors.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I said fuck waiting and paid $500 shipped for a 16" blued 45 Colt off Gunbroker, probably could have waited and saved a few bucks but fuck it. At sub 5lbs with 9 RDS of 45 Colt on tap, should make a good brush busting deer/hog rifle and general woods bumming and truck gun.

Might even put a Fastfire on it...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's sad that the Rossis are still MIA from the scene.  They are losing sales and market share big time so their new versions had better be much better and priced right or they risk fading out all together.  With the high demand for the 357mag, I can't believe that they are taking this long to fill the supply chain unless they are still having startup issues producing them.  If they are it's hard to believe that they didn't learn from Remlin's screw up when they merged.

I'm glad I got my two 357mag Rossis back in 2009 when the hysteria over YOmama and black rifles left the interest in them low. I started with the rifle
View Quote
I agree, Rossi is missing the boat. I have the two 357 octagon barrels. The 20" is the case hardened and the 24" is SS. I really want a 20" round barrel but Rossi is forcing me to buy another make. Today, I put a deposit down on a new Marlin 1894C. It's a little more money but the blueing and wood are well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Might be fun to shoot but performance out past 100yds would be poor.  But, if it floats your boat . . . . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would by a 9mm lever action, flame away
I actually want one too, would be fun to shoot and low cost to reload!
Might be fun to shoot but performance out past 100yds would be poor.  But, if it floats your boat . . . . .
Considering 357 mag is .357” and 9mm is .355”

I’ve loaded 6gr of CFE pistol pushing a 158gr bullet at 1,300fps out of a 357 20” Rossi.

You can load down 357 to 9mm if you want and there is always 38 special.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Do they still have that unnecessary safety?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good news that they are coming back in stock. Now if I can decide on a caliber. Not sure if I want to go with 357, 44 mag, or 45LC. It might come down to what the store has when I get there.
View Quote
Possibly I am of my opinion because of the choices I have made ?
At any rate I can't see the point of going 45colt unless one already has pistols in that caliber that you want to match.
I do understand that ballistics are very similar if one handloads but 45 just seems like a PITA.

I have a Rossi in 357 and a Marlin in 44mag. The rossi runs 38 or 357 just fine with any reasonable bullet shape . The JM Marlin is the Cowboy model with cut rifling . doesn't work at all well with 44sp (it is stamped 44spl or 44mag) but I shoot only handloads and have buckets of mag brass. I am pleased that the Marlin works well with the two standard loads that I developed for my 629s and blackhawks. I run a warmish load with a 240cast and 2400 powder and also run a 200 cast mild load with Unique.

Do like my leverguns
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do they still have that unnecessary safety?
View Quote
It's about 5 minutes with a belt sander to disappear that "unnecessary safety" into a bare metal plug.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#22]
And pray it don't flip on safe when you really need it.

I got a NIB .357 magnum M92 in a trade yesterday.  That lawyer mandated safety thingy is an accident waiting to happen.  It flops around the hole like a fish, and is basically worthless.  There are tutorials on making a plug, and stevesgunz makes a direct replacement that is snug once installed.

So far, mine's a keeper.  The only thing I plan on doing is dehorning the loading slot and making a brass magazine follower.  I've already cut myself loading it once.  After I do some range testing, I may chop the ears off the buck horn sight.  Other than that, wood has a good patina, however, there is no sealer on it.  The wife shot a few rounds, and likes it better than my AR for HD use.

I'm a member on teh Taurus forum, and the factory rep said that between the merger, new facilities, and logistics, it has been a bit of a nightmare.  They know they are losing money hand over fist to other lever gun manufacturers, and hope to be back in the game soon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I took out the safety and added Steve's Gunz plug as I agree that the 'safety' is anything but.  It comes in both blued and stainless.

Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Beartooth Mercantile has a plug or a saddle ring to replace the safety.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Beartooth Mercantile has a plug or a saddle ring to replace the safety.
View Quote
That's for the Marlin, not the Rossi.  Having a saddle ring on the top of the bolt would be . . . . . . . . . . . . unusual.

BTW, I called Rossi CS again yesterday and they were much more forthcoming with the information.  They said that the production has ramped up much more slowly than planned and that to date, they are only producing Stainless Steel 20" carbines in 357mag and 44mag.  Further, only a couple of hundred have been shipped to the states so far this year responding to orders from distributors.  Sometimes the orders were for only 10 or so rifles so maybe the lack of orders is throttling availability.  I'm wondering if the distributors are sitting on larger inventories of all their arms and so are reluctant to order in new stocks of arms they don't know whether or not will sell quickly.

He also said that they hadn't been told when the product line would be expanded to include other models, barrel lengths, and calibers.  When I asked the price, he said that mfg suggested retail price was actually very slightly lower than the previous production and that a key lock mechanism in the hammer (I've never heard of one with that) has been deleted.  The stupid bolt safety will remain, however.

More candor but not a lot of good news.  Seems to me that the new worker's learning curve is going slowly in addition to the slow orders from distributors, so it might be next year before we see the full line being produced in quantities that will come close to the demand.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's for the Marlin, not the Rossi.  Having a saddle ring on the top of the bolt would be . . . . . . . . . . . . unusual.

BTW, I called Rossi CS again yesterday and they were much more forthcoming with the information.  They said that the production has ramped up much more slowly than planned and that to date, they are only producing Stainless Steel 20" carbines in 357mag and 44mag.  Further, only a couple of hundred have been shipped to the states so far this year responding to orders from distributors.  Sometimes the orders were for only 10 or so rifles so maybe the lack of orders is throttling availability.  I'm wondering if the distributors are sitting on larger inventories of all their arms and so are reluctant to order in new stocks of arms they don't know whether or not will sell quickly.

He also said that they hadn't been told when the product line would be expanded to include other models, barrel lengths, and calibers.  When I asked the price, he said that mfg suggested retail price was actually very slightly lower than the previous production and that a key lock mechanism in the hammer (I've never heard of one with that) has been deleted.  The stupid bolt safety will remain, however.

More candor but not a lot of good news.  Seems to me that the new worker's learning curve is going slowly in addition to the slow orders from distributors, so it might be next year before we see the full line being produced in quantities that will come close to the demand.
View Quote
They are coming back in stock, very slowly it seems. The shop I work at on weekends got one stainless 20” M92 .357/38 in this week from Lipsey’s. None of the distributors we use have any in stock currently so the supply like you mentioned must be very small.

I not so quietly set it aside for myself. I plan to get it threaded for a can and will prob have it cut down to 16”. I’ve been hoping for a year these would come back in stock and it seems they are starting to.

For those who are desperately looking for one without paying $800, you’re in luck. Kentucky gun co appears to have them at a steal! You’re welcome in advance

$504cash price
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=95118&utm_source=gun.deals&utm_medium=Product%20Feed
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I went with Stevesgunz peep sight replacement for the stupid safety on mine.  It fit kinda loose so I filed a new slot for the retainer pin.  It's now rock-solid.  I get 2" groups at 75 yards which is more than good enough for my needs.  The die-hard traditionalists may not like it but I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went with Stevesgunz peep sight replacement for the stupid safety on mine.  It fit kinda loose so I filed a new slot for the retainer pin.  It's now rock-solid.  I get 2" groups at 75 yards which is more than good enough for my needs.  The die-hard traditionalists may not like it but I couldn't be happier.
View Quote
Did you consider this?
https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8503

I think I may get it and have a smith drill and tap the rear sight which covers the safety.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Two more weeks have come and gone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:49:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No Marlins either.

View Quote
Quoted:
Two more weeks have come and gone.
View Quote
Same as it ever was
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Did this to my front sight. Great hold over for shooting out there.

Attachment Attached File

With stevesguns rear sight I get a longer sight picture and can hit steel out to 400 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Never mind, didn't realize it was the same old thread
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Any word on the 454s returning?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Three more weeks have come and gone.

Still, there's no sign of Rossis actually coming back.

It's been six months since the OP started this thread.

The OP should change the title because the situation is exactly opposite that posed in the title (fake news).  
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#35]
They need to make the 45-70 Rio Grande again too. I should have bought one when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a 16" big loop 357. Does anyone else have an issue with the rear sight bouncing down the ladder and un-adjusting itself when you shoot it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a 16" big loop 357. Does anyone else have an issue with the rear sight bouncing down the ladder and un-adjusting itself when you shoot it?
View Quote
I flipped my "ladder" 180deg to stop it from moving.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Found a place that had a couple in .44 Mag if anyone is interested let me know.

Grant
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Finally found a LNIB 357 locally.  Got lucky I guess, now to form 1.  Maybe they will finally be on dealer shelves by the time the stamp comes back?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#40]
So much for these coming back into the country. Wish i picked up an octagonal barrel model when i had the chance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So much for these coming back into the country. Wish i picked up an octagonal barrel model when i had the chance.
View Quote
That sounds awfully final.  Do you know something we don't?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From this thread it looks like octagon barreled 92s are discontinued. The only option I know of now in that configuration is the Italian 1892s. They are nice but more costly.

My Chiappa 24" 1892 is now my favorite open sighted rifle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Per Braztech CS today, they are only currently producing the 20" carbine models of both the 357 and 44 mag.  Deliveries into the US a slow in part because of lower than expected orders from distributors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Per Braztech CS today, they are only currently producing the 20" carbine models of both the 357 and 44 mag.  Deliveries into the US a slow in part because of lower than expected orders from distributors.
View Quote
I find that hard to believe.  I sure would love a new .44 92.  Then I could sell off my 1894 "shotgun".
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I do too as well, however, that's the second time I've called and spoken to one of their CS personal and both told me the same thing; orders are slower than before.  I don't think that's the whole truth though.  They still are only making 20" carbines in only 2 calibers, 357 Mag and 44 Mag.

No rifles, short rifles, case colored, no 45 Colt, etc., etc. so I still think that manufacturing is still coming up to speed.  When they offer the full lineup again, them I'll believe that the problem isn't at least partially on their end.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, if you kill off the market by leaving, you should not be surprised if orders are slow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Did this to my front sight. Great hold over for shooting out there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/2F9C6D6F-BED0-4A70-89C5-5A249767B24F-653316.JPG

With stevesguns rear sight I get a longer sight picture and can hit steel out to 400 yards.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/A2144F26-C847-47A1-A773-7CCEC4A29750-653318.JPG
View Quote
Fuuuuuu....  I'm going to have to buy that sight.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Local shop just got a batch of M92's 357/38 with 20in barrels at $529 a pop.

Cheaper then Gunbroker so I'll give them a call to see how man they have left.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Local shop just got a batch of M92's 357/38 with 20in barrels at $529 a pop.

Cheaper then Gunbroker so I'll give them a call to see how man they have left.
View Quote
Boom got the last one

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Great find.  How is the action?  The trigger?  Have you shot it yet?

If it's stiff and the mag tube spring hard, I'd strongly suggest that you consider Steve's Gunz $58 action and trigger slick up kit.  You get a DvD with it explaining exactly how to do everything and you'll love the way it turns out.  The kit comes with a new ejector spring that's lighter so you don't orbit your brass and a metal mag tube follower as the plastic one will mash up and jam after a while.

The DvD explains how to shorten your mag spring for easier loading and another rd, how to lighten the loading gate spring for easier loading, and how to shorten your hammer spring as well as smoothing out the action to make it slick as snot.  I've done the action job to 3 Rossis and the results are terrific.  Even after 5K+ rds the rifles have been smooth, slick, and a joy to shoot.

If like most you don't like the safety on the bolt, you've go a couple great choices from Steve.  1st, he has a bolt plug kit in either blued or stainless that allows you to get rid of the safety and plug the hole.  2nd, he also has a peep sight that fits into the safety hole that gives you a considerably longer sight radius as well as a better peep sight.  Either is a good choice and you can check out all of his stuff HERE.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top