Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 5:36:54 PM EDT
I finally pulled the trigger and bought the XS rail for my 1978 444.  What scopes are you guys running on your 45/70s and 444s?  I have a Leupold 3x9 sitting in the safe but will need to research to see if that would hold up to the recoil.  Any recommendations for a NON-SCOUT type scope would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I would likely use a good fixed 3 or 4 power Weaver or Nikon or Leupold. I'm kinda old school when it comes to glass on lever guns. I like scopes with a straight tube forward of the turrets. Since it is fairly unlikely that you will ever need to "dial dope" due to the limitations of the cartridge, in my mind that rules out variables. But if you already have the 3-9 there is no reason you couldn't use it. I think any scope that has been used on 30-06, 300 WinMag, 7mm Mag, etc will easily stand up to the recoil of a 45-70/444 Marlin. Those two cartridges are mid-range in the recoil standing, very much like a Muzzleloader for example. Be sure to let us know what you end up with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been pleased with a Weaver Classic 1-3x20 on my 444P.  From what I understand it is basically a shotgun scope.

I like Weaver's Classic K fixed power scopes as well.  The K4 would probably work quite well on a big bore lever.  

I would probably use the Leupold that you have if it was me though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The Leupold 1.5-5x20mm has severe me well on a number of Marlins over the years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the replies.  I have no illusions of requiring all 9x zoom on the 3x9 but there is something to be said for using what you already have!

The rail is in the mail now and i still have to come up with some rings.  This one willl gave to sit out this hunting season as I already tagged a buck on opening day and am hunting elk on the East side of the state where I need a longer range rifle.  I will post some pics when I get it put together.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Leupold 1.5-5x20mm has severe me well on a number of Marlins over the years.
View Quote
That what I use on my 444P
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  I have no illusions of requiring all 9x zoom on the 3x9 but there is something to be said for using what you already have!

The rail is in the mail now and i still have to come up with some rings.  This one willl gave to sit out this hunting season as I already tagged a buck on opening day and am hunting elk on the East side of the state where I need a longer range rifle.  I will post some pics when I get it put together.
View Quote
IM/email me. I probably have some rings in my box that will work for free. Send me a pic of the rail so I can start looking.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Leopold 2x7 on my 45/70, I leave it on 2 power. Only reason I got it was because it was cheaper than the 2.5 fixed power I was looking at. And go ahead and get some warne qd rings while you are at it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I like lower power scopes on my leverguns. My 444P has a 1.5-5 Leupold, my 1895G has an old steel tube El Paso Weaver K2.5x. I like the Weaver, nice and clear but best used on bright sunny days, harder to see in low light.

The Leupold works great and I will probably end up mounting one on my 1895G.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Most of mine have had scout style extended eye relief optics, but I also had a custom WWG, that I would use an AimPoint Comp M4 on. Depending upon budgetary concerns, the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x and 1-6x are among my favorites, though they are a bit heavier than some of the others mentioned here. They give the advantage of both low magnification and illuminated reticles through the use of tritium and fiber optics, meaning no batteries to worry about, and you can crank them up to high magnification practical for most hunting applications. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Your scope should work fine, use 9x for target work
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I want a .444.  Already have the scope.  1-4x.  I want a .45-70 to, and a .44 mag, and .357, and a .50 something lever.

I have a weakness for lever actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top