Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2017 8:38:14 PM EDT
Y'all:  Will be using my Uberti 66  and or Uberti Henry for CAS shooting.  There is a lot of info out there on Trail Boss loads for revolvers, but not much on getting a .45 Colt rifle dialed in.  I was thinking of using 6.2 gr/TB w/ a 200 grain flat point.    Anyone have any experience or advice?  CAS targets seem to be inside of 50 yards, so is a 50 yard zero best?   Been to Trail Boss site, but again, not much there for rifle loads...thanks. v/r W
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot CAS and 45lc too I'm loading 6.2 aswell of trail boss. Are you loading for a side match at 50yds cause my club is shooting under 50ft. That load work fine in my 18in Rossi 92. I wouldn't hunt with it but it makes power factor for CAS
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
hi- thanks for tagging up on my post! I am working up a 6.2 grain trail boss load, like you, using a 200 grain RPFN bullet.  Using a 66 Uberti and have Uberti Henry too.   Did this load shoot to close to POA?  I will be using .38 open tops, but have a pair of Taylor SAA, in .45, how does that load work, shoot to POA?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Very few CAS shooter use different loads for rifle than for pistol.  Settle on one load.  Your load sounds hot to me -- that is, I use 5.5 grains for the kind of thing you're talking about.  One thing I've consistently noted about Trail Boss is that it is much more consistent at lower intensity loadings than at the higher ones.  In other words, the loads near the recommended minimum are much more accurate than are the higher density loadings.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Rugrat, thanks....I will most likely only be using .45 Colt in my rifle, using .38s or cap and ball for revolvers....I will grind out some 5.5 grain and 5.9 grain loads behind the 200 grain bullet also.  Journey of discovery....only really have used the Henry at 50 and 100 yard matches with 3FG and Swiss.   Thanks! v/r W
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, if you've been shooting black powder, then I'll repeat what I've said.  Sub-sonic loads with Trail Boss seem to be near the lower end of the the charts -- i.e. lighter loads.  And, that's really the value of TB, I think -- to be able to easily replicate BP velocities with a smokeless powder.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hi- thanks for tagging up on my post! I am working up a 6.2 grain trail boss load, like you, using a 200 grain RPFN bullet.  Using a 66 Uberti and have Uberti Henry too.   Did this load shoot to close to POA?  I will be using .38 open tops, but have a pair of Taylor SAA, in .45, how does that load work, shoot to POA?
View Quote
Yes they are POA.  
Trail Boss loads are pretty lite compared to other powder. The data I have if I rember right even the max load was way liter them white box Winchester ammo.

I've seen guy load down so lite you think he's  firing a cap gun. Play with different loads you. If your shooting a carbine your load
may  work fine but not so much in rifle length guns it might.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top