Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 9:11:59 PM EDT
Friend just got gifted it by his FIL.  Guesstimating it was made in 1910.  SN 540XXX.  32-20 caliber.

This picture, the SN and the estimated manufacture date is all the info I have.  Want to surprise him with the wisdom and knowledge of ARF.

Any info on maker, interesting facts, etc. would be much appreciated!

32-20 rifle serial # 540XXX by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, Winchester 1892 in that serial number would be 1910 (522193 to 586996 is 1910).
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice old gun!!!!

Wood looks great and metal not bad.

How's the bore?

I'd shoot cowboy ammo in it, but that's just me with the older guns.

Here's my 1892 SRC in 44WCF made in 1893 and restored by Turnbull .........

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The 92 was the first Winchester lever gun to use locking bars to support higher pressure rounds.  The metallurgy is "modern" also, with "modern" heat-treating.  The gun is very strong compared to the toggle-link actions that preceded it.  Therefore, have no fear firing normal, factory ammunition in the gun.  Do, however, check headspace before proceeding.  

A long, rifle version of that model is not as common as the carbine.

The gun came about when Winchester enlisted John Browning to improve the lever rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice Rifle, looks good, Our family had the exact same one, my Dad gave it to one of his friends right before he passed to hang over his fireplace, so I didn't get it back, it looks good where it is and I know it has a good home, but it was fun to shoot and I took a few deer with it over the years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top