Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 6:13:06 PM EDT
I have a Winchester 1873 Model 3 Sporting Rifle 44-40. The serial is in the 265,000 range and made in 1888. Had it a long time, dont know much about it. Wondering the value of it. It is missing the dust cover and the sights are not in good shape.

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Any where from around $700 and up depending on condition and originality.   Also allow for special features, special orders and such.

For a starting point, compare it to the ones on collector's firearms web site and subtract about $300 for a realistic value.

MLG
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any where from around $700 and up depending on condition and originality.   Also allow for special features, special orders and such.

For a starting point, compare it to the ones on collector's firearms web site and subtract about $300 for a realistic value.

MLG
View Quote
+1

Missing the top cover.

Wood doesn't look very good.

Can't really tell how the metal looks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Yes the dust cover is missing. Foe some reason they would remove them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+1

Missing the top cover.

Wood doesn't look very good.

Can't really tell how the metal looks.
View Quote
Holy cow. The rifle is almost 130 years old. What do you expect the wood and metal to look like???

Appreciate it for what it is; a really old rifle with lots of character. I have two of them, both in 38 WCF, one an 1886 production and one and 1888 production. The elder of the two has been through the mill and was obviously carried ALOT. That's why it's my favorite of the two and why I've been hunting, and killing, with it for the last 12 months.

As for the value, somewhere in the $1200-$1500 range, depending heavily on the condition of the bore.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, I don't know the value of your rifle but I'd love to own such a historic piece of Americana as that. Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, its a cool piece. The bore looks great. I had a buddy thats a gunsmith look at it, and first thing he did was stick a light in the action. I have had it many years and never realized what it was.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
You ought to take the ol' girl out and shoot her, if you haven't already. I love shooting mine and will be casting a batch of bullets for all my Winchesters and Colts tonight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Never have, alway thought I was going to make a nice mount and hang it on the wall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top