Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2013 8:00:57 AM EDT
Right now I have a Leupold VX III 1.5-5 x 20mm scope on my 1895 45-70.

Last year I had trouble tracking a running deer through heavy brush and trees and missed a shot on him.  It occurred to me at that point that I would have been able to track that deer better with both eyes open, which would be easier and more practical with a red dot set up.  Now if I'm honest, I don't think I will be engaging any animal outside 100 yards with this beast of a rifle, which makes the red dot just as practical.

I know I will lose some light gathering capability which hinders low light shots, but the illuminated reticle on the Eotech may make up for some of that loss too.  I have an Eotech 512 sitting in my safe unused.

What say the lever experts here?  Would I be stupid for removing a great scope like the VX III in favor of putting an Eotech on a hunting rifle like the 45-70?

The obligatory pic:

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the issue with the EOTech: it sits too fucking high.  It's designed for the AR platform so you'll have your chin sitting on that buttstock trying to look through the sight.  

Have you tried using that scope with both eyes open?  

You could also remove the rail and put a Burris Fastfire on there with the Marlin specific base and put that scope really low on the receiver.

That's a picture of the fastfire on my Marlin 1894 with the Marlin specific base, it's a great red dot and it sits nice and low, unlike the EOTech.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I hadn't thought of a fastfire optic.  Does it work well on your rifle?  Any drawbacks aside from those I mentioned?
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a FF3 on my Marlin 1894 357.
Its quick & easy to use. It sits low just like the one in the picture above.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You might try something like this.

C-More Holographic.  It's very good on moving targets as both eyes are kept open giving excellent field of vision.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Trade that Eotech for an Aimpoint Micro and enjoy! Although in absence of a rail, the Burris looks great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hadn't thought of a fastfire optic.  Does it work well on your rifle?  Any drawbacks aside from those I mentioned?
View Quote

The only drawback that I know of is protection.  The EOTech is a BEEFY sight, no doubt about it, the burris fastfire, without anything to protect it, can be a fragile sight if you drop the gun directly on it...
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with the FF3.
The two has the battery on the bottom and must be re-zero'd everytime you replace it.
The FF3 has the battery on the top and doesnt need to be rezero'd.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go with the FF3.
The two has the battery on the bottom and must be re-zero'd everytime you replace it.
View Quote

I'm saving up for a FF3 because of this.  I'm still rocking the FF1.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go with the FF3.

Another bonus is the FF3 has the 3 MOA dot vs the 4 or larger of the previous gen models.

I was honestly very impressed with the Burris Fast Fire micro dots. I own two of them, one on my Yugo AK47 and the other on my Marlin 1894CP.
You can get them with the AR style "wings" like this, but then you're back with the eye relief/cheek weld issue:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/447960/burris-ar-f3-flat-top-fast-fire-mount-picatinny-style-flattop-ar-15-matte

I bought the 3 MOA dot from Brownells :

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/reflex-sights/fastfire-iii-red-dot-reflex-sight-prod54633.aspx

I feel that for the range and for hunting, you'll be okay with the FF3. I have an Aimpoint M4 and an Aimpoint T1 Micro dot for my AR's and don't "feel" the FF3 is quite up to the durability of the Aimpoints, but I will be honest and state that I haven't deliberately destroyed my optics to see which lasts longer under extreme abuse.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Great info, thanks, Maxxll.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
There is one model that has a picatinny mount that covers most of the FF3, thus protecting it fairly well.

FF3 with protective mount
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]

My marlin 1894 44Mag with Zeiss Red dot with solar panel on it to control brightness and power the do. Has taken a lot of abuse on the ATVs  and works great
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
For the Marlin, I would go with something lower like the Fastfire.

I put an Eotech on a Remington 7400 carbine for my dad for a deer drive gun and had to add a 1" cheek riser to the stock.  Doesn't look too goofy, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Aimpoint micro R-1 mounted on my stainless 44 mag Rossi 92.  I would think an R-1 would be just the ticket for your stainless 1895 if you can find one.  If not, an H-1 or fastfire would work well.  There are a few other low profile quality red dots out there as well.  An eotech is going to sit high but would work fine if you dont mind the height.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I would just get that VX3 scope lower to the frame.  Would make a world of difference in my opinion.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would just get that VX3 scope lower to the frame.  Would make a world of difference in my opinion.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/DelttronFive/578cb315650ffdeeea87bbed8370eb04.jpg
View Quote

I'm also considering medium height rings with the existing scope.  The raised rings don't do it for me.  What height rings are you using?
Top Top