Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2017 2:36:27 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have my safe in the house with 2 18" goldenrods in it.  My hygrometer is telling my that the humidity is 35% with 73* F.  Is that humidity / temp combination too low?  Is there a such thing as too low humidity?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
In for an accurate answer but, do you have firearms with wooden stocks?

That is probably about what I would have... I have wooden stocked lever actions and Ruger 10/22T rifles that have never have shown any problems
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read somewhere that museums say that the perfect conditions are 50% humidity and 70 degrees.  If you have guns with wood stocks then you may risk getting cracks in them if the humidity is too low.  35% may be too low.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
your typical home is around 45%.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Just leave the safe door open one day should be good.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The interior humidity swing from open door (exposed to house humidity which I expect to be much higher ) to closed safe is more likely the real issue (condensation).

My safe runs 50% humidity and  about 60 - 70 degrees year around and everything seems OK.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Both of my safes are in the garage with ONE of the recharging desiccant boxes that you plug in when the stuff turns pink until it dries and turns blue again in each safe.  I recharge them about 3 times a year as needed.  Humidity stays between 50-60% year round In the safes.I have old Chinese  AKs and ARs and have never had any rust issues at all.

People go way overboard with the humidity mitigation in my experience.  Oklahoma is plenty humid in summer too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I have my safe in the house with 2 18" goldenrods in it.  My hygrometer is telling my that the humidity is 35% with 73* F.  Is that humidity / temp combination too low?  Is there a such thing as too low humidity?
View Quote
Mine is always at 22% if that makes you feel better.
The lower the better.  Of course I don't have any guns with wooden stocks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If 35% is to low, all the stock's out west must be cracked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top