Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2017 10:11:16 AM EDT
I bought the 8 camera ReoLink system a while back and I'm getting ready to install it.

Our new house is studded out so now's the time to run wires before walls get closed in.

Will the supplied wires be long enough to run from cameras down into my basement vault?

Should I upgrade the cable to Cat6 cable in anticipation of future cameras?

What wires, ends, and crimps should I get?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the resolution of ur cameras? 1080p?

Cat 5/6e makes no real difference in quality of image, it just allows you to extend the signal more without degrading. The bandwidth difference is minor. If your running over 150ft I would reccomend the 6, if your under 100 feet, run the 5. If you want to get really fancy run Cat6A and you can go upwards 600-800 feet.

I would reccomend a shielded cable in either of the 2 main categories above. This will limit the risk of electrical interference and will provide a good clean signal.

Connectors I would use the industry standard rj45 plugs. If your system is POE do not use the EZ plugs that are push through as they run the high risk of a short.

Unless ur doing the 6A route, any network crimper will work and can be located online or in home improvement stores.

Monoprice.com
Has been a cheap go to for consumable about related parts for the industry for a few years.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
6 goes to 90m. I looked around and can’t see that 6A is allowed to go more, whether it does in actuality I don’t know. But at 90m we have to switch 6 to fiber.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Cat5e is speced for 1gbps to 328ft. Cat6 or 6a isn't going to get you better picture. The better cable can help with longer lengths but it's a crapshoot.

Cat6a is mainly for use in 10gbps networks. And you have to have good termination for it to work well.

For cameras save your money and go with Cat5e.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the gear. I’m currently running a hdbaseT extender/receiver over 700 feet on 6A.

I should mention I’m a Audio/Video Field Engineer. So my applications are on the extreme side.

The typical rule of thumb is 330feet. But it depends on the signal. 1080p is easy. 4K and audio is where you run into limitations.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The length limitations (100 meters for CAT5) are more for data applications. Over that length and you start to get packet collisions.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Went through the same thing you're going through. House was studded and I wired all of the cat6, coax, and speaker cables for surround sound.

I haven't bought the reolink system yet, but I went ahead and pre-wired with cat6.

When you can buy 1000ft of cat6 cable for $125 you ain't saving much going cat5.

I went with true cable on Amazon. For some reason it's currently out of stock, but I bought 3k feet of it at $125/1k. It's about the best quality cat6 have ever used. Rated for in wall, supports 550mhz and solid core.

For God's sake don't pay the $650 it's currently listed for.
Amazon Product
  • HIGH PERFORMANCE DATA CABLE. This riser rated cat6 ethernet cable is 23 AWG with 4 pairs (8C). Suitable for Fast, Gigabit, and 10-Gigabit Ethernet. Supports bandwidth of up to 550 MHz.
  • HASSLE FREE PACKAGING. 1000 feet (305 meters) of our trueCABLE product has been packaged in a tangle free, easy pull box so you don't have to worry about getting behind on your next job.
  • 100% SOLID BARE COPPER CONDUCTORS. Pure bare copper produces a stronger signal along with better conductivity and flexibility when compared to copper clad aluminum (CCA).

I went ahead and installed 2x4s where I wanted the cameras, drilled a 5/8" hole in the middle, and folded over the cat6 and crammed it in the hole. When the soffit is installed I'll just take my measurements, drill a 5/8" hole, thread the cable through, and install the camera into the 2x4.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the resolution of ur cameras? 1080p?

Cat 5/6e makes no real difference in quality of image, it just allows you to extend the signal more without degrading. The bandwidth difference is minor. If your running over 150ft I would reccomend the 6, if your under 100 feet, run the 5. If you want to get really fancy run Cat6A and you can go upwards 600-800 feet.

I would reccomend a shielded cable in either of the 2 main categories above. This will limit the risk of electrical interference and will provide a good clean signal.

Connectors I would use the industry standard rj45 plugs. If your system is POE do not use the EZ plugs that are push through as they run the high risk of a short.

Unless ur doing the 6A route, any network crimper will work and can be located online or in home improvement stores.

Monoprice.com
Has been a cheap go to for consumable about related parts for the industry for a few years.
View Quote
Do you have specific links to the shielded Cat6 and ends?

Cameras are POE.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cameras are POE.
View Quote
In my humble opinion shielded cables are not needed in a home environment. You only really need shielded cables in high EMI situations which just simply do not exist in most homes.

I have lived in or personally helped wire a half dozen houses with ethernet and have never used shielded cable and never will. Unless you are running parallel with power cables (which of course should be avoided at all costs), or unless you are running cat6 cables in circles around a fluorescent light I just don't see shielded cables making much of a difference in a house. There is just simply nowhere else for the EMI to come from.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The length limitations (100 meters for CAT5) are more for data applications. Over that length and you start to get packet collisions.
View Quote

tell us about packet collisions in a switched ethernet network.  

collision domains exist in older shared media ethernet when using repeaters (hubs), but not in modern networks when using L2 switches.  
in fact, at GbE and above, there is no repeater (hub) concept.  

CSMA/CD is not employed in modern high speed ethernet implementations, because it doesn't have to be.
therefore, ethernet segment distance is a function of signal integrity, and not the prospect of collision domain timing.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my humble opinion shielded cables are not needed in a home environment. You only really need shielded cables in high EMI situations which just simply do not exist in most homes.

I have lived in or personally helped wire a half dozen houses with ethernet and have never used shielded cable and never will. Unless you are running parallel with power cables (which of course should be avoided at all costs), or unless you are running cat6 cables in circles around a fluorescent light I just don't see shielded cables making much of a difference in a house. There is just simply nowhere else for the EMI to come from.
View Quote
^^^ this, and i will go further and state that even with twisted pair canling run parallel to AC power wiring, the mutual coupling to tightly twisted pairs is so low, and the CMMR(*) of typical ethernet endpoints is so high, that only in the worst of worst case situations will you run into problems.

(*)
CMMR = common mode rejection ratio

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Clearly there are some highly educated people in this thread, but I'll just throw my two cents in.... For my moms system we used Cat6 cable, all runs came in under 100 feet, I used Cat6 because I didn't really know much at that time.

For my system, I used the supplied cables, one wasn't long enough, so I went to HD and bought one of those ethernet cable connectors as a temporary fix until I put a new cable in. Haven't had any problems at all with my cables, my moms cables, or the little cable connector, so I'll probably just leave it in place until (if) something happens.

Now in the future when I actually build my house, I will likely use the best (affordable) cable I can find, and pre-wire everything up, so that'll likely be Cat6, just to future-proof a little bit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Go with Cat5e unless there is a specific need for 6.  5e gets you 1 Ghz, is cheaper, easier to work with and connecting equipment (patch panels, etc) should be a bit cheaper too.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the great replies!

Most are way over my head.

Can someone just post up some links of different cables?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the great replies!

Most are way over my head.

Can someone just post up some links of different cables?

Thanks!
View Quote
Just go to Amazon or monoprice and find any cable listed as cat6, 550mhz, 23 awg, solid copper, utp. I posted a link of what I used, but they appear to be out of stock (except for some asshole trying to sell it for $650).

This looks like good cable that meets all of those requirements.

Amazon Product
  • High Performance Cat6, 23 AWG, UL Listed (E485863), CM Rated, Ethernet Bulk Cable is an ideal choice for wiring your home or office for high-speed network
  • Future-proof your network for 10-Gigabit Ethernet (backwards compatible with any existing Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet); Foot-marked jacket help you to track the remaining amount of cable left in the easy-to-pull box
  • A Category 6 Ethernet cable is also referred to as a Cat6 network cable, Cat6 cable, Cat6 Ethernet cable, or Cat 6 data/LAN cable. A wired Cat 6 network is more reliable and secure than a wireless network for your internet connections

Looks like you can get it for $115 if you don't care if it's been repackaged. That's a hell of a deal IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cameras are POE.
View Quote
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18609 144 for 1k feet
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051305&p_id=7301&seq=1&format=2 10 bucks per 100.

A good quality option for you if you want Shielded.

I can provide more, but they are quick on the shipping and most of the stuff are factory directs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051305&p_id=7301&seq=1&format=2 10 bucks per 100.

I can provide more, but they are quick on the shipping and most of the stuff are factory directs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cameras are POE.

What crimper and ends would you suggest for using with the first cable you posted?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the best deal out there for cable.

I have used 1 of them so far and the second one will be mostly used up this weekend for more cameras in my shop.

There is no need to use anything but Cat5E for cameras as you will never saturate even a Cat5E cable much less a Cat6 cable.

This crimp tool has served me well for 15 years and hundreds of end.

These connectors should be fine.  Don't get the EZ type ones where the wires run thru the connector as you could have issues with POE connections.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What crimper and ends would you suggest for using with the first cable you posted?
View Quote
Sorry didnt realize my response never posted.

Crimp tool:
Any basic RJ45/Rj11 tool will work. I like the platinum brand crimps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP8QYXC/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A1YZFEAB0CJC0T

This one should be available at all Home Depots
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Ratcheting-Modular-Crimper-Stripper-VDV226011SEN/202038310
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is the best deal out there for cable.

I have used 1 of them so far and the second one will be mostly used up this weekend for more cameras in my shop.

There is no need to use anything but Cat5E for cameras as you will never saturate even a Cat5E cable much less a Cat6 cable.

This crimp tool has served me well for 15 years and hundreds of end.

These connectors should be fine.  Don't get the EZ type ones where the wires run thru the connector as you could have issues with POE connections.
View Quote
Ordered. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I was going to just get my wire from Homedepot but ended  up ordering from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech-com-1000-Bulk-Roll-of-Gray-CMR-Cat5e-Solid-UTP-Cable/23146836

I will pick up ideal rj45 from homedepot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0092TG310?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd

I have 2k feet of this 5e wire running my 4K cameras without issue. One line to each camera. 40 something bucks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
If it were my new home, i would also hard wire for a security system to all doors  and motion detectors, even if i didnt have the funds to install the system now.
Maybe some gurus could interject at this point as I have not done this since my last build in 1994.
Yes, old guy here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have 2k feet of this 5e wire running my 4K cameras without issue. One line to each camera. 40 something bucks.
View Quote
Just say no to CCA (copper clad aluminum) Cat5E.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What this guy said.  If wire is too cheap there is a reason.  CCA is not a valid spec.  I certainly wouldn't use it for anything running POE.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#26]
No CCA was the first thing I look for when checking out the specs. The quality of the rj45 plugs will come into play later on . I will use boots and tape up the connections on the outside. I will use boots on the plugs in the inside too. The ideal brand from homedepot and lowes I hope are good.

Talking about CCA wire does any one know what is the quality of the premade cables that come with the Reolink system? I should have my order here at the end of the week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No CCA was the first thing I look for when checking out the specs. The quality of the rj45 plugs will come into play later on . I will use boots and tape up the connections on the outside. I will use boots on the plugs in the inside too. The ideal brand from homedepot and lowes I hope are good.

Talking about CCA wire does any one know what is the quality of the premade cables that come with the Reolink system? I should have my order here at the end of the week.
View Quote
I have used Ideal brand stuff before and never had an issue.

I have a solid hatred of hoods on the plugs.  It makes it a pain in the ass to take the cable off.

I wouldn't bother making the patch cables, just buy them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top