Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 4:18:26 AM EDT
Other than throwing a cross bolt and unplugging the opener, what do you do?
Also what do you do if you want to be able to use the garage daily?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If you wont be using the door, put a C clamp in the track on each side, right above the wheels.  That way nobody will be able to raise it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a lock you can install on the track and wire in to the opener.  The locking bar automatically slides closed when the door closes.

I was looking in to them on Amazon but never bought one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut the emergency release cord down to a few inches.

Otherwise I can be inside your garage in about 2 minutes with a wire coat hangar.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If the garage has any windows, buy some frosting, like the stuff they use on bathroom windows. It comes as a plastic film and you apply and trim to fit. If the bad guys can see whats being used to secure the door, it makes it 100x easier to defeat it.

The emergency release is an easy way to get in. My wife and I are both tall enough to reach the release without needing a cord on it, so I just took it off.

A 1/2" long slide bolt on each side with a hole through the track will secure the door for cheap, but can only be opened from the inside.

If you need access from outside, a long throw keyed deadbolt could be installed on each side to do the same thing.

If its only a short term need, a pair of vise grips locked on the track above the wheels will work.

Long term you should unplug or disconnect the power to the opener.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Otherwise I can be inside your garage in about 2 minutes with a wire coat hangar.
View Quote
I flat out took mine off.  Can still trip it by sticking my pinky finger in the lever
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Most garage doors are made of fiberglass.
You can secure the mechanism that opens a door, but...
A battery powered sawsall will cut through the panels pretty easily.
Lighting is a great deterrent.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I flat out took mine off.  Can still trip it by sticking my pinky finger in the lever
View Quote
I;ve heard people say to use a thin zip tie.  A coat hanger would never be able to break the zip tie, but a good pull on the handle would break the zip tie and still allow you to open the door.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
One product that interests me is the Liftmaster Automatic Garage Door Lock.  It appears to be a deadbolt that automatically locks and unlocks when you open/close the garage door.  It is really expensive though, because only their high end garage door openers can use it.  Maybe one day they will offer a retrofit kit for their cheaper garage door openers.  

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/autolock
https://www.cnet.com/products/liftmaster-automatic-garage-door-lock/preview/
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even with a few inches they can stand on a ladder and pull the cord from the outside.  You have to remove the cord and grind down the latch to almost nothing.  I left just enough room for a pair of plairs to latch on and pull down if it’s ever needed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even with a few inches they can stand on a ladder and pull the cord from the outside.  You have to remove the cord and grind down the latch to almost nothing.  I left just enough room for a pair of plairs to latch on and pull down if it’s ever needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the same. Easy and makes it all but impossible for anyone to open that way
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Whenever we are out of town for an extended time I place vise grips on each track and disconnect the door openers. The disconnected door openers are in case I forget that that the tracks are blocked to prevent damage to the door.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
From the outside, how does a thief get to the release on the inside?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
There is normally enough play in the top of the door and the weather strip to pry open enough of a gap to insert a long wire or coat hanger inside and hook the emergency release rope. They pull on that and it releases the door from the auto track and then they just push the door up. Lots of videos on youtube how its done.

As stated above, best advice is to remove the rope from the release.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is normally enough play in the top of the door and the weather strip to pry open enough of a gap to insert a long wire or coat hanger inside and hook the emergency release rope. They pull on that and it releases the door from the auto track and then they just push the door up. Lots of videos on youtube how its done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

This, also, many people have the square windows running along the top of the garage door.  Which makes it even easier to grab that rope.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I installed a piece of 2X4 at the top of my doors and then screwed a piece of 1X4 to the middle/stop of that that sticks up and blocks the path to the safety release rope/lever.  You could stick a clothes hanger/wire in but it would just be deflected upwards at the door.  Then again, I have three windows in the garage walls so someone could still get in, if they wanted to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top