Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2017 8:44:00 PM EDT
I've been doing a lot of research on this online and reading through old threads on here. Here are the plans I know so far:
Poured concrete walls, floor, and ceiling in the basement
Roughly 12'x15' in size
Lip of door to be raised about 6" from basement floor to minimize risk of water coming in

Questions:
Construction- concrete PSI and thickness and gauge of rebar? I've seen 4,000PSI at 8" and #7 rebar
Electric- need outlets and lighting. Best brought in by small conduit in the wall I would imagine. Anywhere in particular?
Water- no plumbing to be brought into room for risk of water damage. Still contemplating a floor drain but will be difficult since where we're building is relatively flat.
Humidity- controlled with dehumidifier. Can use safe inside the safe room if need be. Also thinking about doing radiant flooring.
Ventilation- I'm partially convinced I don't need to worry about it this but could me mistaken
Vault door- I would like an inswing door that is capable of of being locked from the inside. I've looked at a few manufacturers and Brown seems to be leading so far for me.
Exit- I've been contemplating a small hatch door in the ceiling but not sold on it just yet. It's another point of weakness, water, etc. but having another way out just in case is tempting.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen a basement without a floor drain. Personally, I would want one in the room to drain dehumidifier into. If not, at the very least run some conduit through the wall that you can drain the water through to a large container, so you won't be dumping it as often.

Plan for the future, leave enough room in conduit for data cables for video recording system.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
@a1abdj Surely you would have some good input
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top