Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2017 1:14:09 AM EDT
I've been looking for a good closet or underbed safe option to allow me to have an AR in my room (main safe is in another room) mainly just to keep the kids and low level burglars from accessing the rifle. I saw the Fast Box which while it's not a Fort Knox safe, it looks like it will do what I need it to -

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product/hidden-gun-safe-model-47/

However, I can't find very many reviews of it and I'm a bit reluctant to buy it without a whole lot of user experiences to research. Does anyone here have any experience with it ?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
In all of your effort to be a smart a**, did you actually look at any of the results? I'm looking for reviews from real people in forums, not coin operated gun blogs/magazine reviews. There was only litterally like 2 results for that type experience.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at the same one.  If I find any reviews I'll post back.

The only hesitation I have is that I wanted simplex buttons.  I really didn't want anything electronic.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
So I got the fast box 47 and for the price it seems reasonably good.

The steel is not very thick so someone with hand tools and 5-10 mins could get into it, but it's main purpose is to keep the kids and snatch-and-grab thieves out (I plan on only putting a cheap PSA AR in it). But, it allows me to have a suppressed AR15 close by the bed now, which before my only previous option was my G19 in a pistol lock box because all my rifles were across the house in my main safe.

The lock is okay but not great. It is almost like an electronic simplex, but it has a very light touch. Since there is nothing to index your fingers on the buttons in the dark you might end up pressing one by accident and have have to clear the sequence and start over. Not great for speed. It does have a key override if there is any issue with the electronics.

One thing I would say is look at the legs of your bed frame before you order it. Mine just barely didn't fit by 5/8" so I ended up wall mounting it with lags bolts to a stud (which is more secure than just being under the bed anyhow).
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, just saw your thread.  I have one as well & really like it.  My only complaint was they showed a picture of the old model with the numbered key pad but instead got the new model like yours.  I don't like the new lock/finger pads.  That's my only complaint, I like everything else about it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two of them, and while they're a good idea, the execution is kind of chinsy.  If you take off the back of the door, you'll see how weak the spot welds are.  The continuous hinge is held in place with only pop-rivets.  A crowbar would get you in there in less than 30 seconds, and a standard screwdriver would take maybe a couple of minutes.  You can make it more secure by installing it with the opening side of the door against the wall, limiting the range of motion for any pry device.

Another major weakness of this and other safes is the combination reset button inside.  It's easy to wiggle a coat hanger or piece of bent flat bar in there and press the button to reset the code and gain entry.  The fix for that is to saw off the threaded top of a plastic soda bottle and epoxy it in there around the button, then screw the cap on.  That will prevent the resetting of the combo from outside.

The Fastbox is okay for keeping just one long gun or shotgun for quick access.  I wouldn't put anything high dollar in there.  A $200 Maverick 88 12-gauge would be perfect.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Eureka Safes long box behind my bedroom door. I like how it is narrow enough that I can open my door all the way, as if it isn't even there. With the door open you wouldn't even know it is there. It is dead space behind the door anyway and the box is actually pretty darn large, comes with a rod to hang a pistol on also these little rotatable hooks to keep another pistol or jewelry etc... The angled door lets me get into it without having it open very far at all.

It would not be easy at all to get into as the tolerances are very tight. If a thief wanted it I'm sure he could tear it from the wall stud with some effort but I bought it because my nephew is now mobile and I like to keep an AR close by and put my carry gun somewhere close and locked up as well. I have a nightstand gun in a different box but this is just a few feet away as well. In the pictures I have my sporting clay shotgun, but I normally keep my AR in it.

Eurekasafes.com

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top