BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AFAIK, all of the 551 Ps (mine included) have the flash hider machined into the barrel itself, so not removable/not threaded etc. it is integral to the 16” overall barrel length, but slightly shorter and looks a little like an A1 vs the longer ones as seen on both the 550 and shorter barreled 551s. Supposedly the 16” barrels were made years ago for a potential US specific import but were never completed, they don’t have the internal flash hider threading for blank firing adapters bc they weren’t ever intended for any kind of military or LEO contract. I think the only 55x model that JDI has imported that has a threaded barrel is the small quantity of 553s that have the removable 3 prong? flash hider.
View Quote

The 16” oal barrels were found on the original pre-89 551s that were imported. A decent number were also imported after 89 and used by police departments. These JDI guns use the exact same barrel as the earlier 16” 551s.

There was a small batch of 551 short barreled uppers JDI imported that were threaded and had the early 3-tine 552/553 flash hider. The threads were bare steel indicating the threads were an afterthought. There were also reportedly some threaded barrel 551 short barrels for a few LE agencies in Europe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Well does anyone know of anyone that can fix the gray paint on these 551s?  I had the rebarrel done on mine like Apec, and now the perfect paint job isn't so perfect.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well does anyone know of anyone that can fix the gray paint on these 551s?  I had the rebarrel done on mine like Apec, and now the perfect paint job isn't so perfect.
View Quote

Just shoot it, I didn’t tape up the area around the ejection port on my gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s been years since I’ve seen a picture of a pre89 551. For some reason I was thinking they had the 18” barrel with the grenade ring in the barrel. You have any pictures of the 551s JDI imported that were threaded? That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking about doing to mine bc either the short flash hider or lack of a grenade ring just makes it look wrong
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just shoot it, I didn’t tape up the area around the ejection port on my gun.
View Quote

I already have a shooter -- I was hoping this one would stay primo and add it to the collection.  It's a shame too, I have a new 14.3" barrel that I wanted to have installed on the other 551, but not now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good for him.
View Quote

Did you get yours?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good for him.
View Quote

What about everyone else?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Dupe
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It’s been years since I’ve seen a picture of a pre89 551. For some reason I was thinking they had the 18” barrel with the grenade ring in the barrel. You have any pictures of the 551s JDI imported that were threaded? That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking about doing to mine bc either the short flash hider or lack of a grenade ring just makes it look wrong
View Quote

Pre-89 551s all had 16” OAL barrels. The 551 LB barrel with grenade hump and longer flash hider was first seen in the late 90s in the US when CCF imported kits and  upper receivers from Canadian market guns.

No pics of the threaded barrel 551s. I don’t own one. You can probably find it on a web search. They were short barrel 551s and looked goofy IMO, definitely an afterthought.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Everyone else can order from JDI and wait. Misha is a dealer. He is in the business of making money. This is the free market. Items sell for what the market will bear. Dealers have high capital expenses for inventory, insurance, etc. For-profit businesses don’t exist for altruistic purposes.

Or should we have the government regulate how much profit a business can make to protect the working man?

I have no ties to Misha. This is just a big pet peeve of mine. I don’t begrudge any seller getting top of market. I do begrudge the people who complain about it.

May as well also complain that resellers of Rolex watches and most desirable automobiles are getting a premium when they sell.

With regard to the 55x rifles, mags, and parts, I don’t have to pay high auction prices in today’s market, because I’ve been collecting SIGs for 20 years. I bought parts and mags when the market was flush and no one was buying because I anticipated wanting parts and mags. I’ve paid high prices in the past when I wanted something that was commanding a high price. And I’ve paid way under market in some instances where I found deals. It’s just the nature of collecting.

Quoted:

Did you get yours?

I have zero interest in the 751. But if I wanted one and didn’t use foresight and order from JDI, then I would pay my money and have my 751.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

How and where was the paint scuffed? Any photos?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How and where was the paint scuffed? Any photos?
View Quote

It's between 1/4" and 1/2" long on the port side of the receiver -- where the "SAN" text is etched into the metal"
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's between 1/4" and 1/2" long on the port side of the receiver -- where the "SAN" text is etched into the metal"
View Quote

Bummer. That sucks. Did you ask the smith who swapped the barrel to fix it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bummer. That sucks. Did you ask the smith who swapped the barrel to fix it?
View Quote

No, it was on its way back to me when I found out.  I don't think there is a way to "touch up" that paint anyway without making it look worse.  This kind of stuff makes me feel like Tony Shalhoub in Monk, because most people wouldn't care about it.

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread -- JDI releases.  Did anyone else have technical difficulties with the FDE 751s?  I tried to get one, but missed it.  I would refresh my browser about every 10-15 mins after 10AM Thursday, and never saw the listing pop up in Dave's webstore.  I gave up about 5PM.  At 11AM Friday I refreshed the browser and it was there and sold out.  To be honest, I really didn't need one, so I wasn't completely crushed that I missed it -- lol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn’t see them appear until around the same time, so I would be willing to bet they were released in Friday at 10am. But I am not sure.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, it was on its way back to me when I found out.  I don't think there is a way to "touch up" that paint anyway without making it look worse.  This kind of stuff makes me feel like Tony Shalhoub in Monk, because most people wouldn't care about it.
View Quote

That’s a bummer. In any case it’s a reason to treat it like a shooter and put it through it’s paces. But I totally get how it would bother you. It would bother me too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#17]
FDE is Nice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been thinking about it.  You should have someone do a badass multicam paint job on it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the 551 alpines got posted at 1 and are sold out now too…
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#20]
how long out are the waitlists for mags and stocks right now? reached out to JDI and didn't get a response...
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#21]
There's no way of knowing that unless he's got ample inventory waiting on shipping out.

I waited 20 months for my 751 mag order of Oct 2020 and just got them a week ago after inquiring.  That said, I ordered mags with notches and got mags without; Dave said that's all they're making now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's no way of knowing that unless he's got ample inventory waiting on shipping out.

I waited 20 months for my 751 mag order of Oct 2020 and just got them a week ago after inquiring.  That said, I ordered mags with notches and got mags without; Dave said that's all they're making now.
View Quote

JDI facebook stated mags were in stock, a friend did say he got an email his 55x mags got shipped, i however did not get either email notice, as i order mags around same date as my buddy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I just got my stock and mags on Saturday after a 10 month wait. Just wish I had ordered more mags.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

JDI facebook stated mags were in stock, a friend did say he got an email his 55x mags got shipped, i however did not get either email notice, as i order mags around same date as my buddy.
View Quote

like, random reply to someone?   He hasn't posted lately
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Only been a little over a month since I've backordered some mags.  Fingers crossed that Dave got enough mags in this last order to fill all the backorders.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#26]
How long can you keep your fingers crossed?

I've been waiting for more than 11 months with promises in between.  Never seen a business run like this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Never seen a business run like this.
View Quote

I'd prefer more transparency but any importer is 100% at the whim of the OEM overseas.  Once you realize SigSauer AG is a shoestring crew, it makes more sense.  I don't like it any more than the next guy but before JDI, there were few avenues for inventory of any quantity.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:03:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How long can you keep your fingers crossed?

I've been waiting for more than 11 months with promises in between.  Never seen a business run like this.
View Quote

Have you contacted him and asked him directly about your specific order? Every time I reach out he answers within a day and gives an accurate estimate. He is at the whim of of Sig AG and sometimes the estimates are months long if the order is still far out, but every time he has given me a window for a specific order number I have, he's hit it. The closer you are to the front of the list, the more refined the estimate becomes.

I agree it's frustrating at times and not the super best customer experience, but it's a lot better than before he was around and maybe a couple shipments of things made it in per year if someone felt like going through the effort.  If you don't like the wait, gunbroker almost always has mags, stocks and common parts ready to ship.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Have you contacted him and asked him directly about your specific order? Every time I reach out he answers within a day and gives an accurate estimate. He is at the whim of of Sig AG and sometimes the estimates are months long if the order is still far out, but every time he has given me a window for a specific order number I have, he's hit it. The closer you are to the front of the list, the more refined the estimate becomes.

I agree it's frustrating at times and not the super best customer experience, but it's a lot better than before he was around and maybe a couple shipments of things made it in per year if someone felt like going through the effort.  If you don't like the wait, gunbroker almost always has mags, stocks and common parts ready to ship.
View Quote

Yes, I have and Dave is pretty good about responding in a timely manner.  However, the response is usually along the lines of when he is expecting to receive or has received the items with little or no indication of when you will get yours.   To quote the response to a recent inquiry, "orders filled in order received".  Unfortunately, I am not privy to his order list so I have no idea what that means for me.   A follow-up question about when I could expect to receive mine got no response.

All any customer wants to know (within reason) is when an order is going to arrive, not when the business has received or expects to receive stock.  Receiving vague estimates or estimates that don't materialize is aggravating, especially if one pays up front.  Moreover, it places the onus on the customer to repeatedly inquire about the status of an order, which I am not inclined to do.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't have any experience with how things were before JDI was around.  All I know is that this experience is not enticing me to place more orders.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Dave has always been pretty responsive to me. The import business requires some patience, much like playing the NFA game. I believe JDI is a pretty leanly run operation and Dave has to travel as part of his business.  

Prior to JDI, there was just what Sig Exeter  decided to bring in. Once they were done with importing the 553s, they pretty much dropped the project.  I was able to buy a good many mags from them before they gave up on it.  If you don't have the patience to buy from JDI, you pretty much have to pay 2-3x the price on Gunbroker. You can also order direct from gunfactory.ch (Rolf there speaks decent English I'm told). There will still be a wait, importing stuff from Switzerland is not a quick process.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I want to jump in an say he has always been responsive enough for me.

With limited options for the sig 551 lovers. It’s tough to argue that his service is anything but appreciated.

I just wish I could get a 551-2 swat. For not 8k bucks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#32]
In case you haven't done business with Europeans, the default answer is always "the month after next..." no matter what industry.  Add in August being vacation month and most industries being shut down, there's not much for us to do but be patient.

Took me almost two years to get my 751 mags and the answer was always "month after next" until i just stopped asking
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]
All any customer wants to know (within reason) is when an order is going to arrive
View Quote

Especially then JDI is sitting on the customer's money.

I don't like people sitting on my money and then repeatedly keep giving me new dates, things happen to people and businesses, getting your money back can be a PITA.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Especially then JDI is sitting on the customer's money.

I don't like people sitting on my money and then repeatedly keep giving me new dates, things happen to people and businesses, getting your money back can be a PITA.
View Quote

Dave has offered to give anybody a refund if they paid and don’t want to wait.

I concur with not liking interest-free loans of an open timeline and have told Dave as much.  It’s clearly not his choice but deposits become harder to keep tabs on that complete payment
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Any hope for a Sig 551 with a barrel threaded 1/2x28?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#36]
No, because the Swiss don't make them that way.  If that's what you're after, buy a West Coast Armory 551 or SigSauer 551-A1; both come with 1/2-28 16" barrels.  Or buy a 556 and swap a Swiss steel lower on it if you want to run original mags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm still waiting on 10-round 751 magazines ordered 2/2/20. A cheek rest as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#38]
JDI’s model is unorthodox. I wish payment was taken upon shipping, but that’s not the case. It is what it is. Dave is doing this better than anyone else at the moment. So you play by his rules or you go to Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any hope for a Sig 551 with a barrel threaded 1/2x28?
View Quote

Yuck. Come on, bro you’re better than this. :)
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone else seeing poorly cast or cracked gas blocks?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting on 10-round 751 magazines ordered 2/2/20. A cheek rest as well.
View Quote

Holy crap, these shipped today!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
JDI’s model is unorthodox. I wish payment was taken upon shipping, but that’s not the case. It is what it is. Dave is doing this better than anyone else at the moment. So you play by his rules or you go to Gunbroker.
View Quote

Oh, I totally understand that. But if he is having trouble filling backorders or getting the product in a reasonable time, then he needs to stop taking backorders.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Colorado Gun Sales has SIG 550 uppers and lowers.
View Quote

I've seen them advertize those on Gunbroker.  However..they have been on my blacklist for many years now. Very bad deal with them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I just looked at those prices… They are proud of those uppers…

I just lust for a 551-2 SWAT. The damn thing looks perfect.. The prices are nuts on them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Colorado Gun Sales has SIG 550 uppers and lowers.
View Quote

These are from used guns they buy up at $2k/landed overseas and split for sale here and MUCH higher prices.  If you want used/surplus parts, they're fine except the prices are not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Are you 100% sure that’s not just the coating?…
If not, that’s pretty bad!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Looks like a casting flaw.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’ve taken similar pictures of four recent Sig 550s, but this PE90 is the worst. The old military Stgw90s didn’t have this—they had well-polished area with a clean line missing the ceramic coating.Attachment Attached File
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top