User Panel

Site Notices
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 8 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SilasB:

The LE/First Responder versions of the Virtus come in black, no Virtus branding on them, and 'milspec' triggers vs the Matchlite Duo trigger. They do ship with some nice flip-up sights, a QD sling, and a gray GI mag, no lancer mag.

In my area, local LE departments don't allow any firearms color other than black.
View Quote
This man knows
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Ah, yes, I understand now.  Yes, we will have SD hand guard options in Black, FDE and Concrete Gray in Carbine and Rifle lengths.  Part numbers listed below.  I have a black carbine length SD Virtus rail on the pic above (rifle on the bottom is a Virtus with 6.75" barrel and carbine length SD MLOK hand guard)

You will be able to purchase 6.75" 300BO barrels as a stand alone barrel/bolt OR as the 1-stamp upper.

Carbine Length SD:
HGRD-MCX-CARBINE-MLOK-SD-BLK
HGRD-MCX-CARBINE-MLOK-SD-FDE
HGRD-MCX-CARBINE-MLOK-SD-GRY

Rifle Length SD:
HGRD-MCX-RIFLE-MLOK-SD-BLK
HGRD-MCX-RIFLE-MLOK-SD-FDE
HGRD-MCX-RIFLE-MLOK-SD-GRY
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, yes, I understand now.  Yes, we will have SD hand guard options in Black, FDE and Concrete Gray in Carbine and Rifle lengths.  Part numbers listed below.  I have a black carbine length SD Virtus rail on the pic above (rifle on the bottom is a Virtus with 6.75" barrel and carbine length SD MLOK hand guard)

You will be able to purchase 6.75" 300BO barrels as a stand alone barrel/bolt OR as the 1-stamp upper.

Carbine Length SD:
HGRD-MCX-CARBINE-MLOK-SD-BLK
HGRD-MCX-CARBINE-MLOK-SD-FDE
HGRD-MCX-CARBINE-MLOK-SD-GRY

Rifle Length SD:
HGRD-MCX-RIFLE-MLOK-SD-BLK
HGRD-MCX-RIFLE-MLOK-SD-FDE
HGRD-MCX-RIFLE-MLOK-SD-GRY
View Quote
Pssst,

What about PDW length SD handguards?

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I see on the Sig website there is a caliber exchange kit in 5.56, but it looks like it is the old barrel.

I'd like to be able to change the Virtus from 5.56 to 300 BLK when needed. I hear that it is as simple as removing the hand guard and two bolts to remove the barrel.

Any idea if the exchange kits for the Virtus will be available soon?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kgknight1037] [#5]
L-ray

I will be placing an order through quantico tactical for a 16 inch exchange kit prob sometime next week.  I don't think they are in stock but I'll ask about availability for different caliber and lengths. I know all kits from here out, unless old inventory, will be virtus barrel bolt kits.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Coregon is an MCX cam pin the same as an AR15 cam pin?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I can answer that as a yes. I replaced mine with the POF roller cam pin and it’s as smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I special ordered a 556 exchange kit today from quantico tactical and it seems like they haven't gotten any new barrel and bolt kits in yet in any caliber or length.  Unknown on ETA from sig
Question I had for coregon, is the piston placement on the barrel on the virtus, the same location as the legacy?  I am wondering if my Midwest industries rail will work with the newer barrel/bolt?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By L-Ray:
I see on the Sig website there is a caliber exchange kit in 5.56, but it looks like it is the old barrel.

I'd like to be able to change the Virtus from 5.56 to 300 BLK when needed. I hear that it is as simple as removing the hand guard and two bolts to remove the barrel.

Any idea if the exchange kits for the Virtus will be available soon?

Thanks
View Quote
This will be a "Legacy" CALX kit.  The Virtus aren't shipping yet, but will be very soon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By E4W:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By E4W:
Originally Posted By Cops66:
I can answer that as a yes. I replaced mine with the POF roller cam pin and it’s as smooth as butter.
Bingo
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:
I special ordered a 556 exchange kit today from quantico tactical and it seems like they haven't gotten any new barrel and bolt kits in yet in any caliber or length.  Unknown on ETA from sig
Question I had for coregon, is the piston placement on the barrel on the virtus, the same location as the legacy?  I am wondering if my Midwest industries rail will work with the newer barrel/bolt?

thanks
View Quote
No, one of the changes with Virtus was re-positioning the pistons.

Your MI rail should work just fine, you'll just not have the window align perfectly - honest question:  How often are you changing your gas port position?  Because I have rarely changed mine, including while switching back and forth between suppressed and unsuppressed.  Not ideal, I know, but no reason why you should stop using the MI rail because of it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I usually just shoot suppressed almost all the time on all of my weapons.  So switching back isn't too often unless I don't feel like running the can on it.  As long as it is doable to switch the gas settings im good, I don't care about perfect lineups.  Also coregon do you know when dealers should have pricing on complete uppers?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:
I usually just shoot suppressed almost all the time on all of my weapons.  So switching back isn't too often unless I don't feel like running the can on it.  As long as it is doable to switch the gas settings im good, I don't care about perfect lineups.  Also coregon do you know when dealers should have pricing on complete uppers?
View Quote
2018 pricing is out now.  Dealers should have it - if not, they should be receiving it soon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#14]

2018 pricing is out now.  Dealers should have it - if not, they should be receiving it soon.
View Quote
I see upper pricing at;
https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-sig-mcx-upper-receiver-assemebly-m-lok.html

Does that include the adapter that allows it to be used on an AR15/M16 lower, if not, would you be able to say when the adapter will be available?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By d00d:

I see upper pricing at;
https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-sig-mcx-upper-receiver-assemebly-m-lok.html

Does that include the adapter that allows it to be used on an AR15/M16 lower, if not, would you be able to say when the adapter will be available?
Thanks.
View Quote
I believe @coregon stated it would include the adapter.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#16]
Any luck in possibly seeing a Rattler barrel with SD handguard and SF 762 MINI?

I think I've come across a great deal on an SF MINI, so things may be in the works.

Also, are the black Virtus...es, Virtii? available to individual LE/military? And how would one go about getting some more information on that? Most of the dealers I've seen offering LE/mil individual MCXs are all Legacy variants.

Also, is the FDE Virtus going to be going to anodizing as well (like the gray), or will it remain Cerakote?

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Augee:

Also, are the black Virtus...es, Virtii? available to individual LE/military? And how would one go about getting some more information on that? Most of the dealers I've seen offering LE/mil individual MCXs are all Legacy variants.
View Quote
Individual sale, yes.  Best way to find a participating dealer:  https://www.sigsauer.com/how-to-buy/#law-enforcement

You can bet they'd prefer to sell the legacy MCXs in inventory first, but any Sig LE dealer can get you the current version.  If you still have trouble, shoot me a note.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know if the Rattler compact folding stock would work well on a 11.5” Virtus SBR?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]

I think I've come across a great deal on an SF MINI, so things may be in the works.

Also, is the FDE Virtus going to be going to anodizing as well (like the gray), or will it remain Cerakote?

~Augee
View Quote
Completely forgot about this.  The 762 Mini belongs to a buddy of mine, but I can mock it up with the SF 556 SOCOM cans I have (same length).

Looks like @SilasB got you straightened out on the Mil/LE availability.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Completely forgot about this.  The 762 Mini belongs to a buddy of mine, but I can mock it up with the SF 556 SOCOM cans I have (same length).

View Quote
Excellent, thanks!

And thank you SilasB as well, will have to look into that.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
As a 556R owner, there’s always this nagging fear that Sig is going to suddenly drop this and move on to their next hot idea, but something about the Virtus MCX speaks to me. It seems... complete? thought out?... compared to the earlier MCX variants.

I recall reading something with the original MCX requiring some sort of adapter to use a non-Sig muzzle device. Is that still a thing with the Virtus Patrol?  For good or ill, I’m invested in 51T mounts so I’d probably want to use one initially.

That said, does the included muzzle device function as a mount for the Sig SRD 762/556 suppressors?  Or just a basic flash suppressor?  Seems like it would be a natural way to upsell their suppressors.

Maybe 2018 will have one of these find its way to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
As a 556R owner, there’s always this nagging fear that Sig is going to suddenly drop this and move on to their next hot idea, but something about the Virtus MCX speaks to me. It seems... complete? thought out?... compared to the earlier MCX variants.

I recall reading something with the original MCX requiring some sort of adapter to use a non-Sig muzzle device. Is that still a thing with the Virtus Patrol?  For good or ill, I’m invested in 51T mounts so I’d probably want to use one initially.

That said, does the included muzzle device function as a mount for the Sig SRD 762/556 suppressors?  Or just a basic flash suppressor?  Seems like it would be a natural way to upsell their suppressors.

Maybe 2018 will have one of these find its way to me.
View Quote
The MCX barrels are tapered, so are our suppressor brakes/flash hiders.  So, in order to use a non-SIG can, there is a spacer that creates a 90-degree shoulder for you suppressor muzzle device to fit securely on the barrel.  The spacer comes with the rifle.

The included muzzle device does not function as a suppressor mount.  However, if you buy one of our rifle cans, they each come with 1 muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#23]
FYI, your standard AR wrench won't fit on the flash hider flats. I had to really dig around my shop to find a wrench with narrow enough jaws that would work.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#24]
FYI the Virtus barrels won't work with a Geissele Reaction Rod.  I had to use aluminum vice jaws when I swapped out flash hiders.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
FYI the Virtus barrels won't work with a Geissele Reaction Rod.  I had to use aluminum vice jaws when I swapped out flash hiders.
View Quote
Wonder if KAC rods will work?
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:

Wonder if KAC rods will work?
View Quote
Negative Ghostrider, nor the Magpul BEV block.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 5:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jcinwa] [#27]
For anyone else, if you end up having to buy some the cheap wrench set from Harbor Freight was thin enough.

ETA: this was about the wrenches for removing flash hiders. I should learn how to quote.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

~Augee

Alright @Augee - here are a few pics of the 5.5" Rattler barrel in a Virtus chassis/upper with your 762Mini (that isnt going to work ).

Seriously though, the can is too far inset using the Carbine length SD hand guard.  Definitely going to be a job for the PDW SD handguard, when it comes out (I dont have a PDW SD MLOK hand guard).  See pics below...

Overall pic.  Can't see the can from this angle...
Attachment Attached File

Closer look at the end of the rail/inset muzzle...
Attachment Attached File

Looking at the end of the rail/muzzle...
Attachment Attached File

Measuring at ~1.1" inset into the hand guard.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Alright @Augee - here are a few pics of the 5.5" Rattler barrel in a Virtus chassis/upper with your 762Mini (that isnt going to work ).

Seriously though, the can is too far inset using the Carbine length SD hand guard.  Definitely going to be a job for the PDW SD handguard, when it comes out (I dont have a PDW SD MLOK hand guard).  See pics below...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3236-376522.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3237-376523.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3238-376525.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3239-376528.JPG
View All Quotes

~Augee

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3236-376522.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3237-376523.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3238-376525.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232800/IMG_3239-376528.JPG
Careful...Warsport (or whatever their names are) will say you're copying them.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I like it!

So... according to my "calculations," with the LVAW barrel instead of the Rattler barrel, .15" of suppressor would be exposed with the Carbine SD handguard?

Do you know how much shorter the PDW handguard will be than the Carbine? And... god forbid, ETA?

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#32]
The challenging part is waiting for the rifle for a Virtus 300 blk 9" SBR which is certified for law enforcement. Apparently there is a civilian model available....

That was the response I received when attempting to get a quote for Department rifles from the sales company for my area.  I also sent Sig an email with this question because when I look at their web page this is the opening sentence in their description:

"Conceived for the demands of the Special Operations community, the MCX VIRTUS SBR from SIG SAUER is engineered for adaptability, sound suppression and longevity."

Does anybody have contact information for a person who has real experience with the MCX/Virtus line at Sig and is able answer questions about the differences between the models and how my Department can purchase them.  I am looking for a person at Sig who has direct contact and time on the gun and can influence the opportunity to get an order started.  I contacted the listed reps for my area and the sales company and the reps had little to no experience and I cannot order the gun because it is not LE certified.  I sent an email to Sig with my questions and concerns and it has not been answered.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By VT_K9:
The challenging part is waiting for the rifle for a Virtus 300 blk 9" SBR which is certified for law enforcement. Apparently there is a civilian model available....

That was the response I received when attempting to get a quote for Department rifles from the sales company for my area.  I also sent Sig an email with this question because when I look at their web page this is the opening sentence in their description:

"Conceived for the demands of the Special Operations community, the MCX VIRTUS SBR from SIG SAUER is engineered for adaptability, sound suppression and longevity."

Does anybody have contact information for a person who has real experience with the MCX/Virtus line at Sig and is able answer questions about the differences between the models and how my Department can purchase them.  I am looking for a person at Sig who has direct contact and time on the gun and can influence the opportunity to get an order started.  I contacted the listed reps for my area and the sales company and the reps had little to no experience and I cannot order the gun because it is not LE certified.  I sent an email to Sig with my questions and concerns and it has not been answered.

Thanks,

Mike
View Quote
Send me an IM/Email - I have extensive experience on the gun and can help answer any preliminary questions, but can put you in contact with the correct people to get you taken care of (i'm not in LE division, but can help facilitate the introduction).
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 12:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilasB] [#34]
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Why isn't the Sig MCX and MCX Virtus considered and AR15....because it doesn't use the same interchangeable bolts and parts as an AR15?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARShooter91] [#36]
Originally Posted By HEDP:
Why isn't the Sig MCX and MCX Virtus considered and AR15....because it doesn't use the same interchangeable bolts and parts as an AR15?
View Quote
Different operating system and no on most of the parts. It use to use more "AR" parts until a needless recall.

It has totally different receivers and many parts look similar but are not interchangeable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Coregon,

Can you explain what’s going on with the MCX Virtus soft hammer issue? Seems to be getting dimples on the face of the hammer from the firing pin. Was the metal in the hammer purposely made soft to avoid damaging another area of the rifle?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Coregon,

Can you explain what’s going on with the MCX Virtus soft hammer issue? Seems to be getting dimples on the face of the hammer from the firing pin. Was the metal in the hammer purposely made soft to avoid damaging another area of the rifle?
View Quote
I have the same issue with my matchlite duo that I got sent after the trigger recall.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm on the sidelines until time passes and Sig doesn't move on the the new generation of this current version

Sig 556 owner here who has no parts support from the mother ship.

I don't forget
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Any thoughts on having an 11.5" 5.56 cut down to 10.3"?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
View Quote
Gas valve would make that a no go on the 11.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I have an 11.5" Virtus pistol in my cart...along with a 6.75" 300 bbl and a 762 Sig can....hoping I can convince the wife.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
View Quote
Only if you use a 11.5” legacy barrel. The newer Virtus barrel has the gas block to far forward, but the legacy barrel is opposite and can be cut down to 9” if you want.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I had the chance to compare my MCX PSB to a NEW MCX Virtus PSB yesterday.  The Virtus is slightly heavier.  The lugs on the bolt are little different, you can see the new angle on the face of the locking lugs (not a square shoulder).  I doubt the older barrels would be good to go with the newer bolt and visa versa (this is one of the questions I have tried to ask Sig).  The forend is M-LOK compatible and has cutouts in two spots to change the gas port setting on different barrel lengths.

I don't believe cutting the barrel down is as simple as the traditional AR barrel with a possible modification to the gas port.  In the case of the MCX you are also faced with the weight/dimensions of the piston operating rod.  I have run a 11.5" AR for several years as a patrol rifle and unless you are trying to build a clone I don't see the advantage of a 10.3" or similar barrel.

I still haven't hear from anybody from Sig as to why the 300 Blk SBR Virtus is not suitable for a patrol rifle even though the advertisement continues it is good for he special operations community.   I have had great luck with their products over the years and really like the theory behind the MCS/Virtus system.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:36:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#45]
You can use both the legacy MCX barrel in either the new Virtus upper receiver or the legacy upper receiver as long as you use the correct bolt for that barrel lug. You can also use the Virtus barrel in the MCX legacy upper receiver as long as you use the newer bolt for the Virtus barrel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#46]
You can use both the legacy MCX barrel in either the new Virtus upper receiver or the legacy upper receiver as long as you use the correct bolt for that barrel lug. You can also use the Virtus barrel in the MCX legacy upper receiver as long as you use the newer bolt for the Virtus barrel.
View Quote
Now to find a spare bolt and new bolt in the event I acquire a new barrel or want to use one of my barrels on a new gun.  I have a 11.5 556, 9" 300 blk, and 6.75" 300 blk on for the original MCX.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By VT_K9:

Now to find a spare bolt and new bolt in the event I acquire a new barrel or want to use one of my barrels on a new gun.  I have a 11.5 556, 9" 300 blk, and 6.75" 300 blk on for the original MCX.  Thanks for the heads up.
View Quote
Well if you have a legacy MCX, then you already have a barrel and bolt that will work in both uppers. All new Virtus barrels will be shipped with the appropriate bolt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Coregon,

View Quote
Coregon,

Can you please give some insight on this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Coregon,

View All Quotes
Coregon,

Coregon,

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I sent my trigger in on the recall. They sent me back a matchlite duo. After the first range trip the hammer has dimples.  I would like insight as well.
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 8 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top