Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure...the cheap ones...high end ARs aren't moving that fast...just go to a gun shop and see.

I sold all my ARs personally...got tired of them...I have one AR based weapon left...but its a AR10 LMT LM8MWS....different ball game.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You're both right. The 556 sold about like high-end ARs.
I've worked in several gun shops. I was working at one when the 556 came out. We serviced a couple due to the rivet for the op handle retainer failing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Rivet?

Are you talking about the black lever locking piece?

The ER models kind of sucked...the benefit of an early JS 5000 or less serial was the Swiss parts inside...but other than that they sucked at first.

It wasn't until Sig released the P556 and the Swiss style stocked 556 that they had a better QA/QC.

The best 556 Sig released was in their pistol variant. They nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah. It may be a pin, but it holds the locking piece to the bolt carrier.

Edit: SIG calls them the "bolt handle catch" and "axel of bolt handle catch".
I Googled the problem at the time and saw a couple others with the same issue. I think it was in 2009.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah. It may be a pin, but it holds the locking piece to the bolt carrier.
View Quote
Interesting. First time I've heard of one coming out...but since it was a ER variant...I can see why....Sig kind of just slapped parts together at first from US and Switzerland.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Love my 553.

Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rivet?

Are you talking about the black lever locking piece?

The ER models kind of sucked...the benefit of an early JS 5000 or less serial was the Swiss parts inside...but other than that they sucked at first.

It wasn't until Sig released the P556 and the Swiss style stocked 556 that they had a better QA/QC.

The best 556 Sig released was in their pistol variant. They nailed it.
View Quote

That's what I got and SBRed it.

It's a lot of fun to shoot, super reliable, a bit heavy but no issues ever. Other than of course the fact that it's an entirely unsupported platform now.

No clue if it has any Swiss parts inside.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Believe it or not I bought a bunch of spare parts off optics planet two weeks ago. I think they might still have a firing pin in stock.

Long time ago I had a 556 in rifle configuration with over 5000 rounds fired without a hiccup so I have no problem trusting one. I never replaced a part in its life.

Plus Sig has a bunch of spare parts stashed away (confirmed with phone call) reserved for warranty purposes so with them having lifetime warranty they will either have to fix it or replace it with something equivalent that is currently offered at the time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thats what SIG intended it to be, most people that were looking forward to it were hoping for a classic 55x series rifle
View Quote
This is a big part of it, but more than that the first generation were of relatively poor quality littered with QC issues. The second generation promised to fix the issues and pay more attentions to QC but they still had far too many issues to be successful, especially for the price they were asking. By the time of the final year or so when, by all reports, the myriad of issues were worked out a Sig gave the American market a great rifle, the damage was done. It's why I never picked one up.

At this point Sig is coasting too much on their name and past reputation. I think they're coming dangerously close to souring people longterm.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is a big part of it, but more than that the first generation were of relatively poor quality littered with QC issues. The second generation promised to fix the issues and pay more attentions to QC but they still had far too many issues to be successful, especially for the price they were asking. By the time of the final year or so when, by all reports, the myriad of issues were worked out a Sig gave the American market a great rifle, the damage was done. It's why I never picked one up.

At this point Sig is coasting too much on their name and past reputation. I think they're coming dangerously close to souring people longterm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats what SIG intended it to be, most people that were looking forward to it were hoping for a classic 55x series rifle

Ive seen very little evidence of what you characterize as this flawed platform that was the Sig 556.

Cosmetics? Sure. Quickly unsupported? Yup. As for function? By and large very nice shooting, reliable weapons.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top