Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

IWI, FN, CZ, CZ, HK, Beretta, Zastava, FB, WBP, Arsenal, Cugir, Benelli, etc all import chrome lined barrels.Steyr most certainly can, in fact they do to every other country in the world. Steyr US instead tried to chrome the blanks in-house to save money,couldn’t get it right so they nitrided them (poorly I might add, at least on the early ones) rather than having the bbls chrome lined here by a reputable company. The main reason you have nitrided bbls and questionable QC now is because Steyr US is too cheap (and incompetent) to make a true Austrian spec AUGs but why would they when they can build the parts kits cheaper and charge you more. People are lining up for them because the name so they keep pumping them out just as they are as fast as they can.
View Quote

Yeah, there’s no fucking way I’m buying one of these now it’s definitely a long-term project to own one but it’s gonna have to be a new gun down the line if they get their shit in gear since I only like the new style rail. I’m just wondering how long it’s gonna take for people to stop buying these.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#2]
Steyr US instead tried to chrome the blanks in-house to save money,couldn't get it right so they nitrided them (poorly I might add, at least on the early ones) rather than having the bbls chrome lined here by a reputable company.
View Quote
Someone please tell me more about this part, because (after Sabre) I always heard it was FN that was manufacturing the chrome-lined A3 & A3 M1 barrels for Steyr, and that FN produced the "bad batches" where the chrome started flaking off prematurely.

Is that incorrect?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Someone please tell me more about this part, because (after Sabre) I always heard it was FN that was manufacturing the chrome-lined A3 & A3 M1 barrels for Steyr, and that FN produced the "bad batches" where the chrome started flaking off prematurely.

Is that incorrect?
View Quote

That’s what I heard. Which is also crazy right because when did FN ever fuck up a barrel? Something is off with Steyr’s whole operation as far as I’m concerned.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]

IWI, FN, CZ, CZ, HK, Beretta, Zastava, FB, WBP, Arsenal, Cugir, Benelli, etc all import chrome lined barrels.Steyr most certainly can, in fact they do to every other country in the world. Steyr US instead tried to chrome the blanks in-house to save money,couldn’t get it right so they nitrided them (poorly I might add, at least on the early ones) rather than having the bbls chrome lined here by a reputable company. The main reason you have nitrided bbls and questionable QC now is because Steyr US is too cheap (and incompetent) to make a true Austrian spec AUGs but why would they when they can build the parts kits cheaper and charge you more. People are lining up for them because the name so they keep pumping them out just as they are as fast as they can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

They could bring in chromed barrels, then thread and park em.

They cannot. They can only import unchambered blanks. The machining. Including the chanber, has to be done in the US.

And lest we forget, Steyr US also made the switch away from CL without saying a word and continued to advertise the rifle as having a CL barrel well after making the change.  I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall that nitriding a barrel costs less than CLing a barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

And lest we forget, Steyr US also made the switch away from CL without saying a word and continued to advertise the rifle as having a CL barrel well after making the change.  I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall that nitriding a barrel costs less than CLing a barrel.
View Quote

Talking to CS at sig today, dude’s friend cracked a new aug stock and then its replacement as well
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Trying to decide if I should file the corners down…purchased in January/february 2022 if i remember right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:03:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtCowboy] [#7]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
In terms of overall rifle longevity (ie will this rifle last till my grandkids time so they can fight the AI Terminators after digging up my coffin full of guns).

How are the old AUG A1's from the 70's-80's holding up? Are the older plastics starting to become brittle or are they still holding strong?
View Quote

I have a thirty five year old AUG with two stocks and neither are cracked.

I am aware this discussion is focused on the recent manufacturing problem afflicting these stocks but I added this info above in case anyone was wondering about longevity of vintage AUG stocks.  I have replaced a flat spring for the takedown button in all this time, about ten years ago.  No problems since.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PvtCowboy:

I am aware this discussion is focused on the recent manufacturing problem afflicting these stocks but I added this info above in case anyone was wondering about longevity of vintage AUG stocks.  I have replaced a flat spring for the takedown button in all this time, about ten years ago.  No problems since.
View Quote

I don’t think they ever broke until the change in the material. The problem is not that they fucked up. The problem is they ran with it and are still running with it I don’t know what the fuck they are trying to do other than to run this thing into the ground.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#9]
Originally Posted By davidb1982:
Trying to decide if I should file the corners down…purchased in January/february 2022 if i remember right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155148/71407509091__3B31852C-D729-4649-8AC3-BCA-3153582.JPG
View Quote

It looks like it’s just the top that’s got sharp corners. I wouldn’t fuck with it if it were another gun, but the way they… Handwork the stock… I don’t think it can make it any worse.  Somebody, not here, suggested to me that they don’t believe the black ones are breaking. They might be, but I’ve yet to see a photo.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Can anyone decipcher the date code on my stock? It doesn't have the same code style as the one pic'd on Page 1...

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kwb377:
Can anyone decipcher the date code on my stock? It doesn't have the same code style as the one pic'd on Page 1...

https://a4.pbase.com/g13/07/240307/2/174397084.55ab07c6.JPEG

https://a4.pbase.com/o12/07/240307/1/174397080.PUkfqAYL.20240308_210000.jpg

View Quote

Hard to read but i will guess that’s the material code not the date. Where i work parts have two marks, kinda similar loking, one for date one for material. On the date, there is an outer ‘wheel’ with months 1-12, you rotate the inner circle with arrow to indicate to a month, and there js a two digit year on the sides of the arrow.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

When did you purchase that AUG/stock. It may not have a date code. I have some stocks that don't. (prior to 2019)
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:12:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#13]

View Quote

Those manufacturers are not importing barrels. They are importing sporterized rifles that are converted once in the US. There is a difference. Non-sporting barrels can’t be imported on their own.

On one hand it’s unfortunate that that Steyr didn’t import sporterized bastard rifles and convert them once stateside. On the other hand it’s far safer to have manufacturing in the US.

And with all that said, it’s really unfortunate that Steyr doesn’t make correct chrome lined barrels in the US.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jack_Flag:

When did you purchase that AUG/stock. It may not have a date code. I have some stocks that don't. (prior to 2019)
View Quote

I bought it a week ago...but I'm the third (at least) owner, so I'm not sure when it was bought new.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah the import restrictions can be circumvented, if the manufacturer/importer wants to put in the effort to do so.

I think there shouldn't be a restriction in the first place. Allegedly the lobbyists for some of the big domestic firearms manufacturers supported it in 1989.

Steyr seems to not be as innovative at executing workarounds as IWI, Benelli, and FN for example. (I think they're a much smaller company though.)
View Quote

I told them exactly how to bring in the “A2” style receiver AUGs with its accompanying chromelined Austrian barrel and they weren’t interested.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 80085:

I told them exactly how to bring in the "A2" style receiver AUGs with its accompanying chromelined Austrian barrel and they weren't interested.
View Quote

Maybe the powers that be in Bessemer, AL have changed and could use a reminder
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FullAssault] [#17]

Those manufacturers are not importing barrels. They are importing sporterized rifles that are converted once in the US. There is a difference. Non-sporting barrels can’t be imported on their own.

On one hand it’s unfortunate that that Steyr didn’t import sporterized bastard rifles and convert them once stateside. On the other hand it’s far safer to have manufacturing in the US.

And with all that said, it’s really unfortunate that Steyr doesn’t make correct chrome lined barrels in the US.
View All Quotes

All of these barrels are being imported. Steyr can bring these barrels in if they wanted to.

Polish FB barrels

Israeli IWI barrels

Romanian Cugir bbls

German HK bbls

Italian Benelli M4 / M1014 barrels

Swiss B&T barrels

Bulgarian Arsenal barrels

Italian Beretta

Polish WBP

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]
All of these barrels are being imported. Steyr can bring these barrels in if they wanted to.
View Quote

Not only is the ATF inconsistent and arbitrary about what form 6's are approved, they have especially been unfriendly to Steyr over the years. A great example would be in 2013 when Steyr was approved to import AUG 9mm kits with Austrian barrels, then shortly after ATF changed their mind and said the Austrian barrels were 'non sporting'. The ATF similarly allowed IWI to import Tavor 9mm and 300 BLK barrels and rifles for years, but changed their minds in 2022. Its also worth noting that the Steyr AUG is specifically named in the 1989 import ban, so there's another bureaucratic obstacle for Steyr.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Polish FB barrels

Israeli IWI barrels

Romanian Cugir bbls

German HK bbls

Swiss B&T barrels

Italian Beretta

Polish WBP

View Quote

The barrels can be imported only if either a pistol or “sporterized” rifle has been imported. Pistols are exempt from 925(d)(3) and so are their barrels. A rifle that is imported as readily suitable for sporting purposes can also have barrels imported.

Steyr has neither of those as options.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah the import restrictions can be circumvented, if the manufacturer/importer wants to put in the effort to do so.

I think there shouldn't be a restriction in the first place. Allegedly the lobbyists for some of the big domestic firearms manufacturers supported it in 1989.

Steyr seems to not be as innovative at executing workarounds as IWI, Benelli, and FN for example. (I think they're a much smaller company though.)
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#21]

The barrels can be imported only if either a pistol or “sporterized” rifle has been imported. Pistols are exempt from 925(d)(3) and so are their barrels. A rifle that is imported as readily suitable for sporting purposes can also have barrels imported.

View Quote

Well, there is the AUG Z SP.  

Manually operated, so no gas system, and you'd assume very "sporting" being a straight pull repeater.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dustyattic:

Well, there is the AUG Z SP.  

Manually operated, so no gas system, and you'd assume very "sporting" being a straight pull repeater.
View Quote

I wish Steyr would.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#23]
So it’s been. Asked a few times, and threads I read don’t seem to get accurate replies as people either don’t list the stock colors of the ones breaking or when they say they have a problem with a black Aug, it’s not exactly a crack being described.

Does this affect BLACK  Augs? Or just white/mud, etc?

I had thought the answer was yes, but now going back and reading posts and threads I’m not sure I’ve seen any or if any, more than one instance of black/aug mag stocks breaking.

So would you say black augs are immune or less prone to crack, or not?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Nice grammar. Trolling with your company name, that’s great marketing. You sound like every other nitwit malcontent on here.
View Quote

Ah behold, ARFCOM. Where SMEs can argue with some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.  

Less posting from you and more learning.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:36:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#25]
Originally Posted By Jack_Flag:

View Quote

Emailed SAI over the weekend and got a reply back first thing this morning...mine was manufactured on 8/25/21. Was hoping for a pre-cracking-issue gun, but I'll run it like usual until it does (if ever). Is so, I'll just drop by one day and swap it out...luckily, they're only 20 minutes from my work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JohhnyCobra:

So would you say black augs are immune or less prone to crack, or not?
View Quote

Or not as popular as OD/Mud ones?
Just playing devils advocate

General rule was black is always the strongest blend.. in 2024 I’m sure things have changed and the advancement in polymer tech made colored polymers as strong as black one.
The new translucent Pmag is a good example.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Frens:

Or not as popular as OD/Mud ones?
Just playing devils advocate

General rule was black is always the strongest blend.. in 2024 I’m sure things have changed and the advancement in polymer tech made colored polymers as strong as black one.
The new translucent Pmag is a good example.
View Quote

I guess u don’t have high hopes for the new mag. I’m actually very excited for it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I don’t think i can free myself of this auglust. Going to have to find an old stock.

Will someone comment on the bushings falling out of the receivers?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Polish FB barrels

Israeli IWI barrels

Romanian Cugir bbls

German HK bbls

Swiss B&T barrels

Italian Beretta

Polish WBP

point is they can make it happen if they wanted just like they could offer domestic chrome lined bbls if they wanted but they aren’t concerned the US AUG aren’t built to the same standards & specs the Austrian AUG are.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Is that incorrect?
View Quote

That’s correct. I was told it had to do with the barrels being straightened after chrome lining, which caused microscopic fractures in the chrome lining, premature failure/spitting of the chrome. I have no way to verify if this is accurate.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
point is they can make it happen if they wanted just like they could offer domestic chrome lined bbls if they wanted but they aren’t concerned the US AUG aren’t built to the same standards & specs the Austrian AUG are.
View Quote

True. And it’s a shame they don’t. They presumably still have the molds for the USR stock and as was previously mentioned the straight pull AUG Z for the UK market has potential. It would be pretty simple to import bastard sporters and convert stateside.

The point I was making was that it’s not just a simple matter of importing correct Austrian AUG barrels.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#32]

I guess u don’t have high hopes for the new mag. I’m actually very excited for it.
View Quote

I’m too as well
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Both of my AUGS are older.

One is an A2 AUG made for the Swiss market but brought home by a state dept agent.

2nd is a 2010 production a3.

I  have thousands of rounds on them.

Nothing to worry about right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
Both of my AUGS are older.

One is an A2 AUG made for the Swiss market but brought home by a state dept agent.

2nd is a 2010 production a3.

I  have thousands of rounds on them.

Nothing to worry about right?
View Quote

Yours would have been made before the material change
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
In terms of overall rifle longevity (ie will this rifle last till my grandkids time so they can fight the AI Terminators after digging up my coffin full of guns).

How are the old AUG A1's from the 70's-80's holding up? Are the older plastics starting to become brittle or are they still holding strong?

Wonderful to hear, thank you.

Love my AUG and hope it lives a long happy life.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#36]

That’s correct. I was told it had to do with the barrels being straightened after chrome lining, which caused microscopic fractures in the chrome lining, premature failure/spitting of the chrome. I have no way to verify if this is accurate.
View All Quotes

Is that incorrect?

Same thing is happening to the U.S. made scars.  I think it might be more of a FN USA QC issue. The early FN AUG bbls were almost as good as the Austrian bbls the later ones were sloppy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#37]

View Quote

To chrome a barrel u run an electrode - a metal rod - through the center. If the barrel is bent, even if u dont touch the bore, the chrome is going to be uneven. As far as it the cracks, chrome already has micro cracks naturally. I absolutely do not see the kind of slight bow that would allow you yo still be able to process it for chrome, creating a problem with adhesion during straightening. Idk why someone would try to chrome a crooked barrel before straightening it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#39]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

I think the FCG is a GE engineering plastic like a Lexan.
View Quote

Lexan is just name brand polycarbone :/
Eta ok i guess engineered plastics just means blended for improved properties, but that’s everything now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: davidb1982] [#40]
Just took my AUG apart. Looking at the date code, the arrow is pointing to “2” with a 2/1 below it. I’m guessing manufactured in February of 2021?

Would my stock be in the range of potential issues?

ETA: Looks like it could be but I also haven’t heard of any black stocks cracking.

Just put my Aimpoint pro on it this morning. Will probably take the BUIS off but wanted to throw them on there. Also removed the spacer on the Aimpoint after I took this photo.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#41]

To chrome a barrel u run an electrode - a metal rod - through the center. If the barrel is bent, even if u dont touch the bore, the chrome is going to be uneven. As far as it the cracks, chrome already has micro cracks naturally. I absolutely do not see the kind of slight bow that would allow you yo still be able to process it for chrome, creating a problem with adhesion during straightening. Idk why someone would try to chrome a crooked barrel before straightening it.
View Quote

Exactly.  And this was second hand info, so take it with a grain of salt.

I was told that FN was turning the O.D. contour too quickly, resulting in a slightly warped barrel. The individual who told me this is a barrel maker with lots of experience, including with chrome lined barrels. Again, second hand info.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Just took my AUG apart. Looking at the date code, the arrow is pointing to “2” with a 2/1 below it. I’m guessing manufactured in February of 2021?

Would my stock be in the range of potential issues?

ETA: Looks like it could be but I also haven’t heard of any black stocks cracking.

Just put my Aimpoint pro on it this morning. Will probably take the BUIS off but wanted to throw them on there. Also removed the spacer on the Aimpoint after I took this photo.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155148/IMG_0238_jpeg-3159630.JPG
View Quote

Don’t you nean a 2 to the left of the arrow, and 1 to right? That would be a typical dateclock core.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

While I have a NATO stock installed on my A1… I still have the original OD green steyr stock… was looking at it today and noticed the same markings.
My A1 was mfg in 2005 iirc

My guess is that nobody bothered to order a new date clock insert at some point.. probably after 2000.
We used to do the same in my old job.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Doesn’t sound like a design flaw if it worked for decades.
View Quote

Called over-engineering or “safety factor” in the design world.

And yes, sharp corners are a design flaw generally.  Why build in a potential failure point, when you could have radiused each corner instead?  Not exactly a new concept either.  They might not all be breaking at a corner, but sure as hell most are.  

Steyr didn’t radius out the sharp corners (looks like by hand) on the newest stocks they have been shipping just for the hell of it.  They know that is the most likely place it will start, and by removing the sharp corner will help prevent it from starting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:06:58 AM EDT
[#45]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155148/71407509091__3B31852C-D729-4649-8AC3-BCA-3153582.JPG
View Quote

I sure would (and did on mine, made it match the later one I got).
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tac556: Steyr didn’t radius out the sharp corners (looks like by hand) on the newest stocks they have been shipping just for the hell of it.  They know that is the most likely place it will start, and by removing the sharp corner will help prevent it from starting.
View Quote

You missed the point. It’s not a “design flaw” if it worked for decades. It’s bad polymer. Let’s call it what it is. They weren’t rounding corners for decades due to a design flaw. They wouldn’t even be doing it now if there wasn’t a polymer issue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I’d also add that polymer acts differently from metal… rounded corners may not be that necessary with polymer since it can flex and absorb shocks better.

I’m not an engineer though
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#48]
My OD stock date code is '22 so I guess I'm going to die as a result of a catastrophic stock failure while LARP'g around my mom's basement in search of Cheetos and Shasta.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#49]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

You missed the point. It's not a "design flaw" if it worked for decades. It's bad polymer. Let's call it what it is. They weren't rounding corners for decades due to a design flaw. They wouldn't even be doing it now if there wasn't a polymer issue.
View Quote
Exactly. Rounding sharp corners is a good design practice (maybe the old material was so strong that it wasn't necessary), but they started doing it only recently and that coincided with the materials change and stocks cracking.

That is called a mitigation, not a solution.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
My OD stock date code is '22 so I guess I'm going to die as a result of a catastrophic stock failure while LARP'g around my mom's basement in search of Cheetos and Shasta.
View Quote
It could happen.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top