Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 4 of 21)
Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gaflyer:

Any issues with the length of pull on the hellion?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

I have both, the Hellion it a much better suppressor host even with the AUG suppressor plug. No tuning just lock and go.

Any issues with the length of pull on the hellion?

No issue for me, I’m 5’11. I don’t have orangutan arms or anything. It’s definitely not Benelli bad.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot my AUG suppressed, and a friends VHS suppressed.

My AUG doesn't have the suppressed gas plug yet. It's a little loud, but not gassy at all. The VHS is quieter, and not gassy either.

The VHS has a slightly nicer trigger, but that is offset by the safety imho. The lack of a good manual hold open sucks. The VHS is easier to set up with a light, and comes with sights.

I'm glad i got my AUG, but you cant go wrong with either one
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jm11513:
I've shot my AUG suppressed, and a friends VHS suppressed.

My AUG doesn't have the suppressed gas plug yet. It's a little loud, but not gassy at all. The VHS is quieter, and not gassy either.

The VHS has a slightly nicer trigger, but that is offset by the safety imho. The lack of a good manual hold open sucks. The VHS is easier to set up with a light, and comes with sights.

I'm glad i got my AUG, but you cant go wrong with either one
View Quote

Just a note on the bolt hold open.  You can slide you finger in the mag well and push up on the bolt catch and lock it open without a mag.
I know not as easy as a button but Ianaged to figure it out just finger fucking one in a gun shop.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

Just a note on the bolt hold open.  You can slide you finger in the mag well and push up on the bolt catch and lock it open without a mag.
I know not as easy as a button but Ianaged to figure it out just finger fucking one in a gun shop.
View Quote

Yeah, thats why i said a good one

Not a huge deal, and the AUG's CH is far from perfect too...
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hellion feels so dang good in the shoulder...its a solid setup.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone know of any aftermarket gear or this badboy yet?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing yet :(
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#9]
What stock delete are you talking about? As I haven’t seen it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Yuck
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_1522] [#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:

Right?

What a dumb idea.

It APPEARS that they're just leaving the "inner stock" (the part with the stock locking notches) and this just replaces the "outer stock".

When the stock is removed from the rifle, look down in the socket where the recoil spring and buffer are located. The bottom of that socket basically represents the "end" of the operating length of the rifle. The stock is still about 2" longer than that socket is deep. It seems that one could make a new stock replacing both the inner and outer portions and shave a good 1 1/2" or so off the LOP.

That said, the LOP has never bothered me. Bullpup ergos are completely different, and a short LOP isn't really beneficial.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thehun06:  Yuck

Right?

What a dumb idea.

It APPEARS that they're just leaving the "inner stock" (the part with the stock locking notches) and this just replaces the "outer stock".

When the stock is removed from the rifle, look down in the socket where the recoil spring and buffer are located. The bottom of that socket basically represents the "end" of the operating length of the rifle. The stock is still about 2" longer than that socket is deep. It seems that one could make a new stock replacing both the inner and outer portions and shave a good 1 1/2" or so off the LOP.

That said, the LOP has never bothered me. Bullpup ergos are completely different, and a short LOP isn't really beneficial.

If you start shaving LOP, do you move into stamp territory?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

If you start shaving LOP, do you move into stamp territory?
View Quote

Yup. Because without the barrel attached…OAL is 26.5”…for the record…ATF measures OAL without a muzzle device attached unless that device is pinned and not removable from the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

We are close with our first of several parts.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Safety lever ?

Trigger/bar ?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Everyone “we want a better safety” Aftermarket “say no more , here’s your rubber stock shaft cover”
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Waiting patiently
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Y

Yeah you guys are absolutely right, I closed the stock up and to the end of the BBL threads, 26.5".
View All Quotes
Y
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Yup. Because without the barrel attached…OAL is 26.5”…for the record…ATF measures OAL without a muzzle device attached unless that device is pinned and not removable from the barrel.

Yeah you guys are absolutely right, I closed the stock up and to the end of the BBL threads, 26.5".

So we could have improved LOP w/ an 18" bbl?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Very excited even for a teaser
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaflyer] [#24]
Has anyone seen recent issues with the Hellion regarding the adjustable stock? I went to pick up my new Hellion from a local FFL, and the adjustable stock would not lock in to the shortest position. Even with large amounts of force it would pop out of the shortest position. FFL says they have never seen that before. A quick search shows that someone on Reddit recently RMA'd their Hellion for this exact issue.

FFL ordered a new Hellion so I'm waiting for that to come in.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Our shop’s Hellion is ~26 3/4” with stock fully collapsed to the “flat” on the flash hider. It’s been here a while.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone seen recent issues with the Hellion regarding the adjustable stock? I went to pick up my new Hellion from a local FFL, and the adjustable stock would not lock in to the shortest position. Even with large amounts of force it would pop out of the shortest position. FFL says they have never seen that before. A quick search shows that someone on Reddit recently RMA'd their Hellion for this exact issue.

FFL ordered a new Hellion so I'm waiting for that to come in.
View Quote

Mine is doing just fine...but if the trigger pack isn't installed right...I can see how the stock could get hung up...
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#27]
So I picked one up the other day, does anyone have any tips on changing the muzzle device? I remember reading in the original thread that the muzzle device was in really tight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
So I picked one up the other day, does anyone have any tips on changing the muzzle device? I remember reading in the original thread that the muzzle device was in really tight.
View Quote

Heat…secondly make sure you remove the top rail and handguards. Vise up the gas block between two pieces of wood…
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Heat…secondly make sure you remove the top rail and handguards. Vise up the gas block between two pieces of wood…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:  So I picked one up the other day, does anyone have any tips on changing the muzzle device? I remember reading in the original thread that the muzzle device was in really tight.

The gas block is pinned to the bbl?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:  So I picked one up the other day, does anyone have any tips on changing the muzzle device? I remember reading in the original thread that the muzzle device was in really tight.

Yes, it’s a big coiled spring pin if I remember it right.  I was afraid I was going to twist it right off but it’s on there securely.

I’ll echo the heat advice but also suggest adding some leverage; I used a 18” or 24” cheater bar to help with the mechanical advantage.

Perhaps the day before get some penetrating oil as close to the muzzle threads as you can.  I soaked that flash hider with WD40 Penetrant for a few days.  

If it isn’t obvious, if you’re at the point of these more extreme measures you will need to remove the barrel from the rifle, as there isn’t enough space around the gas block with just the handguard off to secure that barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Eh, I think that might be inviting disaster into my life right now! Someone said their ffl removed the flash hider and it was easy peasy.

BTW, gunprime listed Hellions at $1619 yesterday.

I have too much going on to jump right now but maybe I'll list my upcoming medical adventures in the hometown forumwhen I get past them
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#32]
There is plenty of space to vise up with gas block with the barrel still installed...make sure you do sandwich it between two pieces of wood...

Heat up the muzzle device for 20-30 seconds...it will come off...

They install these devices with probably 75 ft/lbs for some odd stupid crappy reason just like FN and the SCAR...there was not a drop of loctite or rocksett residue on mine...
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#33]
My FH came off with little effort. Just an adjustable wrench and my legs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I used a torch and elbow grease, I found it helpful to give my wrench sharp taps with a rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Just picked up my VHS2 this week. My flash hider came off easily. I removed the hand guard and top rail, then placed the barrel in a vice with the clamps around the gas glock (wrapped in a towel). Used a 24" breaker bar w/ armorers wrench and it came off no problem. It was definitely torqued on though, I'd guess anywhere between 50-70ft/lbs. Reattached a keymo flash hider with 30ft/lbs no problem.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#36]
If you're not reusing it, can it just be Dremeled off?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Its not that bad where you need to cut it off.  Some heat and it will come off.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:09:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Took mine out for the first time today. I had two failures to eject on the normal setting with the IMI 193 within the first 100 rounds. Tried it on the suppressed setting for shits and giggles, holy soft shooting. It’s almost like that should be normal and then “normal” is adverse. Cycled 100% with IMI 193 and Igman .223.

Ugh, the ping of that flash suppressor. That’s definitely gone soon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Essentially putting it on “suppressed” mode really just puts it into auto regulate mode…the suppressed setting opens up a giant vent on the plug…and dumbs excess gas like a champ that isn’t needed to cycle the action.

During my first initial testing … I used PPU 223 … I just left it on “suppressed” setting … first two mags it wouldn’t lock on an empty mag without a can…but fed it…after the two initial mag cycle…it locked back each and every time…
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Sadly, I am really hating the lack of a manual BHO. I’ve forced double feeds and FTEs and it’s a pain to clear. Luckily I haven’t had any real malfunctions so hopefully it’s a moot point.

Hit mine with a little Cerakote yesterday.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Thor:
Sadly, I am really hating the lack of a manual BHO. I’ve forced double feeds and FTEs and it’s a pain to clear. Luckily I haven’t had any real malfunctions so hopefully it’s a moot point.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/17612034-9401-45F5-8C0E-9C8057E055FC-2719587.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/F9E281B7-7B9D-4B8B-9F02-DC8CE9275C37-2719589.jpg
View Quote

Love the color, what is it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#42]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:

Love the color, what is it?
View Quote

I used Tungsten and Armor Black.

I planned on Graphite Black because it’s a deeper, richer black but I couldn’t get the damn rail screws in the upper to release, so I had to smoke it in. Armor Black mixed a little flat was going to be the closest match to the polymer I could get.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Sold mine recently, just liked the x95 better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#44]

I used Tungsten and Armor Black.

I planned on Graphite Black because it’s a deeper, richer black but I couldn’t get the damn rail screws in the upper to release, so I had to smoke it in. Armor Black mixed a little flat was going to be the closest match to the polymer I could get.
View Quote

Awesome, thank you!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
Sold mine recently, just liked the x95 better.
View Quote

I keep going back and forth about selling mine. I like it but the entire reason I got it was to make this which doesn’t look Ike it’s ever going to happen. It’s been out for a year now and there’s absolutely nothing new for it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

That looks great!

I was really wanting one of these but was willing to wait for them to come down in price.  Now that they are at prices I would consider buying, I can't seem to talk myself into it.  There are small issues that keep me from moving forward.

I'd just stick with an X95 if you could adjust the gas on the darn thing.  It seems like every bullpup on the market has some kind of concession.

I really love my RDB but I forced some malfunctions by turning down the gas too low and clearing those are about as bad as it gets.  Not it's only fault my any means but there are a lot of great things about it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

I keep going back and forth about selling mine. I like it but the entire reason I got it was to make this which doesn’t look Ike it’s ever going to happen. It’s been out for a year now and there’s absolutely nothing new for it.

http://www.sunrock.fr/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/VHS-K2_CT.png
View Quote

They should really release that optic but man the Hellion is still a sweet setup.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#49]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/17612034-9401-45F5-8C0E-9C8057E055FC-2719587.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/F9E281B7-7B9D-4B8B-9F02-DC8CE9275C37-2719589.jpg
View Quote

I went with the Miad and the mvg as well.  I usually don't like the angle on the Miad but it works wel with the long length of pull.  I also like that since I have big hands that I can tune for my size.  Other than that I am so surprised by the gun.  It shoots so smooth suppressed and not.  I picked it up on Friday went straight home and changed out the grips and put on a Xeno brake.  Then headed to range and shot about 40 rnds without a can.  After that I put on my Wolfman and changed the gas to S.  I was expecting some gas and more recoil but it felt even smoother than without a can.  Really the safety sever is the only thing that I have gripe with.  Even if the just angled it a different way it would be fine.  I have big hands and can reach it fine but it just digs into the side of your thumb when changing from safe to fire.  
I'm seriously thinking of picking up another for a spare.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Wish you were closer, I'd have you do mine.  That looks great.
Page / 21
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 4 of 21)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top