Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 3 of 21)
Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

What magwell options would interest you?

I think the obvious one is an AR-15 magwell with flared bottom and ideally a better release paddle setup.

A G36 magwell is also an option I guess for the purists who like the OG VHS, but I honestly don't know how well it would sell.

An AUG magwell is even possibly an option, and the striaght in insertion and locking with a rear mag release is actually better than trying to do an AR-15 maga setup on the gun, but only an AUGophile goofball like me would probably want one.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eodinert:
I would prefer the gen I and original mag well.  I already have a bunch of ARs.  I don't want another gun trying to be an AR.

I hope somebody imports (or makes domestically) the original grip and some different mag well options.

I think the obvious one is an AR-15 magwell with flared bottom and ideally a better release paddle setup.

A G36 magwell is also an option I guess for the purists who like the OG VHS, but I honestly don't know how well it would sell.

An AUG magwell is even possibly an option, and the striaght in insertion and locking with a rear mag release is actually better than trying to do an AR-15 maga setup on the gun, but only an AUGophile goofball like me would probably want one.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Honestly, I'd buy all 3 options just because they're cool.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Flared AR magwell and reworked safety levers :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

Honestly, I'd buy all 3 options just because they're cool.  
View Quote

I probably would too, mostly because I'm weird, and then I'd justify it with some absurdly unlikely SHTF bullshit scenario where all I can find is G36 mags.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#5]
I wonder if a push button safety ala AUG could be designed for the VHS-2? I've always found that fast and intuitive, and I suspect a lot of VHS owners will be AUG guys as well.

There have been push button safeties for the AR, although sadly they are 'backwards' compared to the correct AUG design.

Likewise, they have been made for the Scorpion:

https://czcustom.com/cz-scorpion-evo-push-safety-rhs.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
I wonder if a push button safety ala AUG could be designed for the VHS-2? I've always found that fast and intuitive, and I suspect a lot of VHS owners will be AUG guys as well.

There have been push button safeties for the AR, although sadly they are 'backwards' compared to the correct AUG design.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ap31zi/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1074/5471/Magorui-Tactical-Push-Button-Ambidextrous-Speed-Safety-Selector-Black-Silver.jpg_q50__39449.1616950274.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

Likewise, they have been made for the Scorpion:

https://czcustom.com/cz-scorpion-evo-push-safety-rhs.html
View Quote

Nope on a rope!
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I too was shit hot to buy a Hellion once they arrived here. But the price gouging, and a few bad reviews, have turned me off.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#8]
Originally Posted By joelad:
I too was shit hot to buy a Hellion once they arrived here. But the price gouging, and a few bad reviews, have turned me off.
View Quote

Any new product is going to have inflated prices right off the bat. It’s simple supply and demand.

I waited. Got one $500 off MSRP…

I’ll say. The build quality is top notch!

Whoooza HS Produkt uses torque values like FN Belgium…make sure you vise up the gas block and heat up the flash hider…mine was probably torqued on at 75-80 ft/lbs…No rocksett.

Some of what the reviewers say is a bit over blown…like the LOP...at 5'11 it is just fine...I guess if you had short arms it could be an issue...

Two things…magwell needs flared…

Safety is actually not that bad…if an aftermarket doesn’t come…it is still very usable...instead of using the side of my trigger finger as a lefty to engage the safe....I just have to use my thumb for both disengaging and engaging the safety...

One thing about the design that I really like having it in my hand..is just how snag free the design really easy...
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:49:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#9]

View Quote

G36 for sure, and the proprietary HS Produkt mag that looks like a G36, but isn't...but number one for me is G36 (I have a pile of them, and they are more 'correct')

Fancy funnelled AR mag wells would be fine, too.  Any other mag well HS Produkt makes.  Any mag well for any other mag that can be made to work.  Otherwise, it's like a Bushmaster ACR.  All the modularity, but with no options to swap.

I want my rifle to look like this guys.  Except for the zip-tied on 203 barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

G36 for sure, and the proprietary HS Produkt mag that looks like a G36, but isn't...but number one for me is G36 (I have a pile of them, and they are more 'correct')

Fancy funnelled AR mag wells would be fine, too.  Any other mag well HS Produkt makes.  Any mag well for any other mag that can be made to work.  Otherwise, it's like a Bushmaster ACR.  All the modularity, but with no options to swap.

I want my rifle to look like this guys.  Except for the zip-tied on 203 barrel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6794/PXL_20210202_071450921_2a_jpg_jpg-2660900.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6794/PXL_20210202_071503989_2s_jpg_jpg-2660901.JPG
View Quote

Use ETS AR15 mags...thats what I do...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Held one in my hand.  Very nice built quality.  The iron sights are nice.
Will pick one up eventually.  I see the prices have fallen a little.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheRat:

AR15 magwell with flare and better release has my vote. I'm not sure what the better release would consist of. Maybe making the mag well in general a tad looser so that mags can drop free? Then the shooter could hit the mag release with the fresh mag to dump out the empty, a la AK reload.

Also hoping for a trigger upgrade and a slightly less angled safety in the future.
View Quote

Just hold the release down and the magazine will fall out on its own.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 4:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#13]
I got to say. The VHS2/Hellion is one nicely built and engineered firearm.

Well done Springfield for bringing this stateside. Well done.

One thing to note. Springfield lists this at 28.25” length but really at the muzzle end it’s 26.75”…similar to Tavor and all others. They must have taken the measurement WITH the muzzle device ON…
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BSJ:

View Quote

It doesn't reliably with Pmags for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I had an OG AUG back in the mid 1980's. Parts and Mag's were a costly nightmare back then and the trigger was problematic, I eventually sold it.

I bought a Tavor SAR in 2015 and threw a bunch of Manticore and Gear Head Works in it along with a Shooting Sight Derlin Trigger Group. It does everything I need a Bullpup to do and has been to numerous classes.

I had wanted Springfield to bring in a VHS, but when the finally did. I couldn't justify it. having already scratched my Bullpup itch with the Tavor.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Looks like the VHS-2 received the same upgrades as the Hellion...MLOK...AR grip module...QD slings...etc...

Pretty cool that we get the same...under Springfield...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzCvCKvfYU
View Quote

I really enjoyed your posting of this video!

I really want to pick one up now but I need a major job change/improvement or to move a bunch of my own guns out but I can see myself owning one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Wilson-AC365:
I had an OG AUG back in the mid 1980's. Parts and Mag's were a costly nightmare back then and the trigger was problematic, I eventually sold it.

I bought a Tavor SAR in 2015 and threw a bunch of Manticore and Gear Head Works in it along with a Shooting Sight Derlin Trigger Group. It does everything I need a Bullpup to do and has been to numerous classes.

I had wanted Springfield to bring in a VHS, but when the finally did. I couldn't justify it. having already scratched my Bullpup itch with the Tavor.
View Quote

Having all the Tavors IWI has released...I can tell you...in my opinion...the Hellion is more refined and feels much better in the shoulder...the gas system is going to be much appreciated once suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BSJ:

I use GI style mags and they drop free if I don't short stroke the release.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:

The Hellion has the softest/smoothest recoil impulse of any 5.56 rifle I've shot except for an HK33.

It runs super clean too. Haven't put a can on it though.
View All Quotes

Having all the Tavors IWI has released...I can tell you...in my opinion...the Hellion is more refined and feels much better in the shoulder...the gas system is going to be much appreciated once suppressed.

The Hellion has the softest/smoothest recoil impulse of any 5.56 rifle I've shot except for an HK33.

Thats very high praise indeed.

Now I am even more tempted...
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 5:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]

I would agree it is an incredibly soft shooting 5.56 rifle.

If the semiauto rifle trigger did not have such a long takeup (and the safeties weren't a bit wonky, and the Length of Pull was a little shorter for us short guys) it would be right on point with the AUG and Tavor in my personal opinion.

At its core it is a great bullpup rifle, it just needs a few tweaks to get the minor kinks worked out and make it an incredible bullpup rifle.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes

I would agree it is an incredibly soft shooting 5.56 rifle.

If the semiauto rifle trigger did not have such a long takeup (and the safeties weren't a bit wonky, and the Length of Pull was a little shorter for us short guys) it would be right on point with the AUG and Tavor in my personal opinion.

At its core it is a great bullpup rifle, it just needs a few tweaks to get the minor kinks worked out and make it an incredible bullpup rifle.

Sven
Manticore Arms

This is the only thing keeping me from buying one.  I'm short and holding one at the my lgs felt awkward and long compared to both Tavor and AUG.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Watching the videos of it (including Colions bizarre commentary) I'm increasingly intrigued by the VHS-2.

I do want to see:

1. Flared 'competition style' magwell as previously discussed

2. Some better bolt release.

Point 2 really comes up in the videos. That little 'pinch' style bolt release is pretty weird, and doesn't seem to have the gross motor ability I'd like.

3. Personal preference, I'd like a push button AUG style safety, but understand others are less a fan of that.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice comparison pic I came across vs 8.9" SIG 553

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice comparison pic I came across vs 8.9" SIG 553

https://i.redd.it/x03w98fcywh91.jpg
View Quote

Yup. Springfield states it’s 28.25” at its shortest. But it’s a really 26.5” without the muzzle device…which is how you should measure OAL…
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Yup. Springfield states it’s 28.25” at its shortest. But it’s a really 26.5” without the muzzle device…which is how you should the gubbermint measure OAL…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:  Nice comparison pic I came across vs 8.9" SIG 553

https://i.redd.it/x03w98fcywh91.jpg

Yup. Springfield states it’s 28.25” at its shortest. But it’s a really 26.5” without the muzzle device…which is how you should the gubbermint measure OAL…

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

FIFY.
View Quote

Yes. Yes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked one up this past weekend for $1300 sin the bag to play with. Only had 100 rounds through it. Guy needed the cash for something else.
Figured if I did not like it - could easily recoup my $.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JohnGA:
Picked one up this past weekend for $1300 sin the bag to play with. Only had 100 rounds through it. Guy needed the cash for something else.
View Quote

$1300 is a great deal, solid purchase.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Yep, it will sell fast at 1300. Below 1300 for bullpups is what, just the rdb. I would take one of these over the keltec. Nice find.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

Yep, it will sell fast at 1300. Below 1300 for bullpups is what, just the rdb. I would take one of these over the keltec. Nice find.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

I’d take a Hellion over practically all other bullies in 5.56…I’ve had them all…Hellion takes the cake even with its stupid name…
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I think you're right.  Know anyone who would be keen to support such a rifle with innovative new products?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Took out the Hellion yesterday.

The consensus from all the shooters was that the Hellion was easily the smoothest and best gassed shooting 5.56 platform both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Using a YHM R2…none of us got gassed out. Using a can turns the Hellion into such a smooth shooting platform.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:33:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#34]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes

Sven
Manticore Arms

Definitely an AR-15 magazine well with a better magazine release and a bolt stop lever of some kind.

And please, a better safety, trigger, bolt release, and anti rotation QD sockets. It's a long list, yes.

Yup. Springfield states it’s 28.25” at its shortest. But it’s a really 26.5” without the muzzle device…which is how you should measure OAL…

That is most certainly NOT correct. Muzzle devices factor into OAL, but not barrel length unless they are permanently attached.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

Definitely an AR-15 magazine well with a better magazine release and a bolt stop lever of some kind.

And please, a better safety, trigger, bolt release, and anti rotation QD sockets. It's a long list, yes.

That is most certainly NOT correct. Muzzle devices factor into OAL, but not barrel length unless they are permanently attached.
View Quote

False. ATF measures OAL with muzzle device removed :)
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]

False. ATF measures OAL with muzzle device removed :)
View Quote

This.  Only time ATF will measure OAL with the muzzle device on is if the muzzle device is pinned and welded to the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Any VHS news from SHOT?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Any VHS news from SHOT?
View Quote

Nothing I’ve saw, as of yet. I was hoping for the HSP sight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Things are in the works

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

You guys at Shot Show?  If not can you share with us… anything?
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:

View All Quotes

Things are in the works

Sven
Manticore Arms

that’s disappointing, was hoping someone would have chimed in with some good news.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#42]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#43]

I am here at SHOT for meetings. Springfield as far as I know has no news on the “VHS”, they are bringing in the Hellion in the comfiguration you have seen.

What we make launches when it is ready, we have never timed product launches to SHOT.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Do you have an ETA and approx how much should I have saved up?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#44]

I am here at SHOT for meetings. Springfield as far as I know has no news on the “VHS”, they are bringing in the Hellion in the comfiguration you have seen.

What we make launches when it is ready, we have never timed product launches to SHOT.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

Things are in the works

Sven
Manticore Arms

that’s disappointing, was hoping someone would have chimed in with some good news.

Sven
Manticore Arms

That’s disappointing @ SFA but great that you’re working on something. I had a long talk with Austin Smith @ IWI. I’m REALLY hoping you will do something for the Carmel (hand guard wise) that looks more like the Israeli OG hand guard rather than the big ugly ass 2x4 they decided to use. You might be the only saving grace for that rifle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#45]

That’s disappointing @ SFA but great that you’re working on something. I had a long talk with Austin Smith @ IWI. I’m REALLY hoping you will do something for the Carmel (hand guard wise) that looks more like the Israeli OG hand guard rather than the big ugly ass 2x4 they decided to use. You might be the only saving grace for that rifle.
View Quote

x2 on the Carmel from me...that US handguard they installed is awful....
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

The whole thing is made in the US, it’s not even a 922r part. Some one on the IWI design team is obsessed with turning everything they sell into an AR. Im surprised they didn’t try to put a buffer tube on the Carmel to go with the hand guard
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#47]

The whole thing is made in the US, it’s not even a 922r part. Some one on the IWI design team is obsessed with turning everything they sell into an AR. Im surprised they didn’t try to put a buffer tube on the Carmel to go with the hand guard
View Quote

I don’t know why they did the design they did but it’s boring and too stupid looking.

When they pulled this on the Galil Ace I was disappointed too. I hope they are listening and will correct it because it looks like absolute trash.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Really want an AUG for aesthetics but am leaning towards a Hellion as I will be running it solely as a suppressor host. Anyone have both that could shed some light on the preferred option?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gaflyer:
Really want an AUG for aesthetics but am leaning towards a Hellion as I will be running it solely as a suppressor host. Anyone have both that could shed some light on the preferred option?
View Quote

I have both, the Hellion it a much better suppressor host even with the AUG suppressor plug. No tuning just lock and go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#50]

I have both, the Hellion it a much better suppressor host even with the AUG suppressor plug. No tuning just lock and go.
View Quote

Any issues with the length of pull on the hellion?
Page / 21
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 3 of 21)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top