Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 21 of 21)
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:
Other than the non-chrome barrel, this also deterred me from buying the Hellion.

I realize only too well the AR15/M16 would also choke, but I feel like an AK might keep going for a full mag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFLFa7-bTo

Am I over the top with my expectations of a SHTF rifle?
View Quote
There are no military mud tests that are as stupid as that one. It's purely for added drama
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
There are no military mud tests that are as stupid as that one. It's purely for added drama
View Quote

I would agree. I like the one AKOU does where he throws the rifle in the muddy river with a string attached, drains the water, and test fires.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]

And....so it beings.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:06:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChengSMGT] [#4]
School me as to the purpose of that flash hider thingie. What makes it better than your average A2 style?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ChengSMGT:
School me as to the purpose of that flash hider thingie. What makes it better than your average A2 style?
View Quote
Absolutely nothing.

It's the muzzle brake I am most interested in.  I have a similar Griffin brake (no longer made) on my MA -10 and really like it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:42:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#6]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Absolutely nothing.

It's the muzzle brake I am most interested in.  I have a similar Griffin brake (no longer made) on my MA -10 and really like it.
View Quote

Never understood what a muzzle brake did for a .223 rifle other than more noise and flash, from the sides. There so little recoil anyway, especially for a 8 lb rifle. I have only ever used them on .308 rifles.

Just my take.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:49:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#7]

Never understood what a muzzle brake did for a .223 rifle other than more noise and flash, from the sides. There so little recoil anyway, especially for a 8 lb rifle. I have only ever used them on .308 rifles.

Just my take.

View Quote
This is the "muzzle thing that goes up" since there is no "stock thing that goes up".

I.E.  I just like how it looks.  Don't care about anything else.   I am so physically broken that I won't be fighting off a mob of puppies let alone taking part in the lamepocaclypse.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#8]

Just picked this up.  The dot came with it....yeah...not a Vortex fan....it'll be replaced.

Trigger pull ain't THAT bad...it's only a mile or so long!!!!  

Lucky for me, I am an AUG guy and not a trigger snob.

This is almost as smooth as my Costa Mesa AR-180 was.  Almost.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely nothing.

View Quote

I can appreciate that sentiment. Make something your own with what you like (same as cars, motorcycles etc). I had never seen something like that so didn't realize it was a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Did the same thing as I do with my AUG: the old "PB Blaster Teflon Dry Lube Trigger Job (patent pending!!!)

It smoothed up the trigger a lot!  Didn't do shit for the 400 mile length of pull but at least there is a gun that makes the AUG look like it has a respectable trigger.  ( I don't mind the AUG trigger but it ain't no M16, that is for sure )

I put on the Magpul MOE- K and took it off in 5 minutes.  Made the gun incredibly uncomfortable.  The angle was fine but the grip is so thin and the back of the gun so heavy that it actually squishes the gun onto the joint at the base of the thumb...like...hard!  I was surprised at that.  The BCM went right back on...ugly thing that it is...form follows function.

When I put a patch down the barrel I got metal slivers all over the patch, so I tore the gun down and cleaned everything.  Then did the patented trigger job while there.  Also typical oiling,etc.   Didn't find another sliver, no peeling chrome...nothing.  That was weird.

So, despite that initial finding...everything in the gun looks FANTASTIC.  There aren't very many American companies left that make guns this nice.  Honestly...(and I love my AUG) Steyr USA doesn't hold a candle to this.  ...and Springfield couldn't do this on their own if they tried.  Like the xD, this is one of the very best guns that Springfield doesn't make. (which are the only Springfield guns I will own...my VERY old M1A excepted)

I really like this gun and I want to thank EVERYONE that has had input in this thread.  I was able to make a pretty well informed decision and I am happy I bought this.

Now...for that stupid effing Renaissance Fair to end ( GOD I hate that thing )  so I can get out of town and shoot this.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Did the same thing as I do with my AUG: the old "PB Blaster Teflon Dry Lube Trigger Job (patent pending!!!)

It smoothed up the trigger a lot!  Didn't do shit for the 400 mile length of pull but at least there is a gun that makes the AUG look like it has a respectable trigger.  ( I don't mind the AUG trigger but it ain't no M16, that is for sure )

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Break_Down-3172230.jpg

I put on the Magpul MOE- K and took it off in 5 minutes.  Made the gun incredibly uncomfortable.  The angle was fine but the grip is so thin and the back of the gun so heavy that it actually squishes the gun onto the joint at the base of the thumb...like...hard!  I was surprised at that.  The BCM went right back on...ugly thing that it is...form follows function.

When I put a patch down the barrel I got metal slivers all over the patch, so I tore the gun down and cleaned everything.  Then did the patented trigger job while there.  Also typical oiling,etc.   Didn't find another sliver, no peeling chrome...nothing.  That was weird.

So, despite that initial finding...everything in the gun looks FANTASTIC.  There aren't very many American companies left that make guns this nice.  Honestly...(and I love my AUG) Steyr USA doesn't hold a candle to this.  ...and Springfield couldn't do this on their own if they tried.  Like the xD, this is one of the very best guns that Springfield doesn't make. (which are the only Springfield guns I will own...my VERY old M1A excepted)

I really like this gun and I want to thank EVERYONE that has had input in this thread.  I was able to make a pretty well informed decision and I am happy I bought this.

Now...for that stupid effing Renaissance Fair to end ( GOD I hate that thing )  so I can get out of town and shoot this.

View Quote

Yeah, a little light oil on the sear and other contact surfaces had a noticeable effect of the perceived weight of the trigger.

I couldn't find my moly grease, but that will be next to try...
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Picked this up Friday and tried out a brief setup. Right now I have an Arisaka VFG in place of the True North, and a Holosun 510c + the 3x magnifier in leiu of the Sector G1

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By stormhammer:
Picked this up Friday and tried out a brief setup. Right now I have an Arisaka VFG in place of the True North, and a Holosun 510c + the 3x magnifier in leiu of the Sector G1

https://i.imgur.com/hNKOYKp.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/FA9ubck.jpeg
View Quote
Looking good!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Current set up.

Primary Arms SLX MD-25 with acss reticle on a low mount and a Strike Ind. Finger stop.

Had a BCM vfg on it but felt to cramped.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RottenPumpkin:
Current set up.

Primary Arms SLX MD-25 with acss reticle on a low mount and a Strike Ind. Finger stop.

https://i.postimg.cc/zGVKbLV4/20240324-103642.jpg
View Quote
How you liking that grip?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Current set up.

It's good. It's a Magpul grip, but not sure which model. Has the rubberized coating. Bought the gun used and it was on there. The angle is nice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#17]

It's good. It's a Magpul grip, but not sure which model. Has the rubberized coating. Bought the gun used and it was on there. The angle is nice.
View Quote
Thank you for the information.  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone found a bullpup friendly brass catcher?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Naw man, it's not about collecting, it's just that if for any reason I have to grab a rifle and head out the door for whatever calamity, I want that rifle be able to take rain, mud, and for weeks or months out in the elements without degrading. I don't understand how if my sub $1K Colt LE rifles and cheap Cugir AKs can have a CL barrel, why can't a $1600 rifle have one. My Tavor and SA-58 had one. Even PSA can do it without breaking the bank. I handled the Hellion, and really liked it, but that was one of the things holding me back. You might think prepping reasons are a silly reason not to buy a rifle, but to me it matters, when the cost and final analysis are added up.

View Quote

The military version doesn't have a chrome lined barrel either. I'm guessing the fact that Croatia has almost no chromium deposits whatsoever has something to do with that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for the information.  Much appreciated.
View Quote

FWIW its a Magpul K2+ grip
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stormhammer] [#21]
Dug out my Meprolight MOR Pro

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Dug out my Meprolight MOR Pro

https://i.imgur.com/pJKH15h.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/u1vcCvf.jpeg
View Quote

I didn't even know that this optic existed, but now I'm super interested. What is the height of the optic center? I have an EOTech magnifier and would like to know what height mount to use if I get this optic to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

I didn't even know that this optic existed, but now I'm super interested. What is the height of the optic center? I have an EOTech magnifier and would like to know what height mount to use if I get this optic to go with it.
View Quote

Oh jeez, let me see if I can find the exact measurements online. I know its not absolute co-witness. In the past with Holosuns HM3X manifier I had to put it on a Unity riser

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Oh jeez, let me see if I can find the exact measurements online. I know its not absolute co-witness. In the past with Holosuns HM3X manifier I had to put it on a Unity riser

https://i.redd.it/pigp5thtzwgb1.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for that. Can you cowitness standard AR irons through it at all?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:37:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#25]

View Quote

If it's designed like other Israeli optics for Israeli rifles w/lower optic rails, expect about a 1.93" height over bore.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:

The military version doesn't have a chrome lined barrel either. I'm guessing the fact that Croatia has almost no chromium deposits whatsoever has something to do with that.
View Quote

Hmmm… yet Albania’s major export is chrome. They could have made a deal.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Is a white version of the VHS in the works? That would be Star Wars goodness.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#28]

https://i.redd.it/pigp5thtzwgb1.jpg
View Quote
@stormhammer:   runnin' a Mega, Baby!  That's my .308 jam, too!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Pavia:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavia:
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:

While the two nations have what look like good relations (which is unusual given… well, the Balkans) they don’t share a border.  Croatia may be hesitant to have a dependency on a strategic resource outside their control that could be blocked when the next inevitable shitfest goes down.

Serbia is also short on chromium which is why historically Zastava didn’t use lined barrels.  It’s a major selling feature for them now so they’ve figured it out but Zastava is a little more mature than HS Produkt.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#30]

FWIW its a Magpul K2+ grip
View Quote
Much thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Current set up.

View Quote

I’m also using the PA MD25. Seems like a good sized optic for this particular platform and easily allows for cowitness if needed.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

I’m also using the PA MD25. Seems like a good sized optic for this particular platform and easily allows for cowitness if needed.

https://i.ibb.co/Y2w9Mx6/506119-F7-7760-447-C-B2-F4-712853-BBE878.jpg
View Quote

Is that a lancer mag?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks for that. Can you cowitness standard AR irons through it at all?
View Quote

Not at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#34]
FAB Defense ULTIMAG
magazines drop free from my VHS-2.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#35]
Speaking of drop free. (If anyone cares for more info.  Too, some guns will be different from others so YMMV)

P-Mags drop free in mine.

Lancers seat a bit mooshy but do lock in and drop free.

Brownell's 20 round Gov't model AR mags drop free.

Daniel Defense DD32s drop free.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Speaking of drop free. (If anyone cares for more info.  Too, some guns will be different from others so YMMV)

P-Mags drop free in mine.

Lancers seat a bit mooshy but do lock in and drop free.

Brownell's 20 round Gov't model AR mags drop free.

Daniel Defense DD32s drop free.

View Quote

Yeah, my GI style metal mags drop free as well. Although not quite as easily as the FAB Defense.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#37]
Hellion Trigger Upgrade! #hellion #helliontrigger #BillSpringfield

BillSpringfield is doing trigger work for this rifle now...
75$ and all you need to do is send in the trigger pack..
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/L-8kb027aSQ

View Quote
VERY tempting!  I saw a review of his trigger work and it looked REALLY good!
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:   https://www.youtube.com/shorts/L-8kb027aSQ

View Quote

Hellion Trigger Upgrade! #hellion #helliontrigger #BillSpringfield
Link Posted: Today 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/L-8kb027aSQ

I've got a couple of BS triggers...

I've not had problems myself and I wish I could recommend them, but I've replaced them with MBTs.
Link Posted: Today 12:58:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I've heard good things about Bill Springfield's trigger work.  I've heard bad things, too.
Link Posted: Today 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By spork:
I've heard good things about Bill Springfield's trigger work.  I've heard bad things, too.
View Quote

Ive now got 2 bullpup triggers hes worked on. MDRx and the Vhs/2..Love them both
Link Posted: Today 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Ive now got 2 bullpup triggers hes worked on. MDRx and the Vhs/2..Love them both
View Quote

How do you get in touch with the guy? If I got his website right it looks like it's down
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 21 of 21)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top