Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 20 of 21)
Page / 21
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did Ian get that magwell and mag and I’m ready to buy it now too
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
Where did Ian get that magwell and mag and I’m ready to buy it now too
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
If there is enough demand for G36 magwells I can probably make up a small batch of them.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Well that would be awesome. I still have a bunch of g36 mags
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BSJ] [#6]
Was curious if I could order trigger parts from Springfield.

No. For "liability reasons"...

Safety parts are also not allowed.

Would be nice to experiment with reducing sear engagement. Cut that in half and I think things would improve greatly overall. With all of the complicated springs in the pack, I think engagement reduction is the shortest path to an improvement.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:58:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_1522] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]

I was working on a flared AR-15 magwell, but for various reasons it just isn't a viable product at this time.

But that means I have the magwell data roughly worked out, just need to get some G-36 mags in house and I can take a look at it.

Now if I just can have 36 hour long days to have enough time to work on everything...

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I've been holding out for your AR15 magwell...
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sleazy-E:

That thought has crossed my mind. And the fact that I typed that question out and hit post will surely seal the deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sleazy-E:
Originally Posted By backbencher:

They're waiting for you to buy one before they announce new colors for the 20 inchers.

That thought has crossed my mind. And the fact that I typed that question out and hit post will surely seal the deal.
Then, after I buy one, they'll come out with a manual bolt lock version.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#10]

I don't understand why they didn't go with a CL barrel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By _DR:

View Quote

My guess is cost. It’s already an expensive rifle in a sea stagnated with expensive rifles. And 95% of shooters probably don’t care anything about a chrome lined bore. I know I’m in that 95%.

Now if cost was the same as a nitride barrel and accuracy was the same then yeah.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

My guess is cost. It’s already an expensive rifle in a sea stagnated with expensive rifles. And 95% of shooters probably don’t care anything about a chrome lined bore. I know I’m in that 95%.

Now if cost was the same as a nitride barrel and accuracy was the same then yeah.
View Quote
Same.  I'm not traipsing through the jungles of SE Asia nor wearing it out with constant full auto fire.  CL is wasted on me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]

The magazine release lever is a really awkward shape to machine, you are either going to have to cast it (expensive tooling) or machine it from billet (97% of the metal ends up on the floor due to the shape).   Not to mention how awkward the spring, lever, and axis pin arrangement is- you can *just barely* make it all work.  Beyond that, you have to mold the magwell (we might be able to machine it, but it would require a full redesign)

The G36 magazine catch is much more straightforward and I think I might have a way to machine the magwell for the G36.  The gun was really designed around a G36 mag and mag release, not the AR-15, it is apparent once I dug into it.  We will see how it goes.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

The big danger for you there would be if Springfield suddenly started importing them.  It’s obviously a part that already exists and is interchangeable with the imported flavor so that could end up much like your improved safety.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

I’m in the % if it’s a version of military rifle that has a chrome lined bbl originally the one I buy better have one as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

I’m in the % if it’s a version of military rifle that has a chrome lined bbl originally the one I buy better have one as well.
View Quote

Collectors vs shooters.

I have a buddy that’s like that. The gun has to be 100% just like the .mil version. He has a nice collection of guns but never shoots them.

I just want something to shoot and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#18]

Collectors vs shooters.

I have a buddy that’s like that. The gun has to be 100% just like the .mil version. He has a nice collection of guns but never shoots them.

View Quote

Naw man, it's not about collecting, it's just that if for any reason I have to grab a rifle and head out the door for whatever calamity, I want that rifle be able to take rain, mud, and for weeks or months out in the elements without degrading. I don't understand how if my sub $1K Colt LE rifles and cheap Cugir AKs can have a CL barrel, why can't a $1600 rifle have one. My Tavor and SA-58 had one. Even PSA can do it without breaking the bank. I handled the Hellion, and really liked it, but that was one of the things holding me back. You might think prepping reasons are a silly reason not to buy a rifle, but to me it matters, when the cost and final analysis are added up.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]

The magazine release lever is a really awkward shape to machine, you are either going to have to cast it (expensive tooling) or machine it from billet (97% of the metal ends up on the floor due to the shape).   Not to mention how awkward the spring, lever, and axis pin arrangement is- you can *just barely* make it all work.  Beyond that, you have to mold the magwell (we might be able to machine it, but it would require a full redesign)

The G36 magazine catch is much more straightforward and I think I might have a way to machine the magwell for the G36.  The gun was really designed around a G36 mag and mag release, not the AR-15, it is apparent once I dug into it.  We will see how it goes.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

Well I have no interest in the G36 magazine, but if you make an improved magwell for the AR-15 magazines, I'm in
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#21]
If there is enough demand for G36 magwells I can probably make up a small batch of them.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

YES, I’m in
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Collectors vs shooters.

View All Quotes

Collectors vs shooters.

Oh I shoot my guns, I don’t shoot competitively anymore, but I still probably go through 5000rds - 10,000rds a year.  I just don’t like my military based firearms to be neutered more than necessary. I want to be better or on par with what it’s supposed to be. There’s nothing wrong with HSP’s nitride bbl especially if you only shoot a few 100rds a couple times a year. I’ve owned a Hellion they are great rifles but if it’s like the U.S. made AUG or the HK mr556 it’s only going to have 1/2 to 2/3 the bbl life of the military/european version. That’s unacceptable IMO. The VHS is listed with a 15,000rds bbl life. Thats 3 or 4 years worth of shooting vs 1 or 2. SA doesn’t warrant shot out barrels & they don’t sell just the bbls as of now. Also with the new ATF proposed regulations on buying & selling and uncertainty with gun control access to the new imports is always  in question so buying a new rifle (or selling one to fund another) might not be an option at some point.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be in for a G36 mag well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m not sure if it’s the same one Ian got but if you search
“Springfield Hellion rock'n lock magwell and magazine” there is a seller who has some VHS-2 magwells that come with a 10 round magazine.

Of course now I can’t find any damn VHS-2 magazines.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CitizenKane:
I’m not sure if it’s the same one Ian got but if you search
“Springfield Hellion rock'n lock magwell and magazine” there is a seller who has some VHS-2 magwells that come with a 10 round magazine.

Of course now I can’t find any damn VHS-2 magazines.
View Quote

Gun broker link
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone found a parts manual or an exploded drawing?

Of course Springfield is dead end.

No luck for me from HS Produkt either.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BSJ:

View Quote
Is HS a potential supplier for spare parts by chance? I know SA isn't.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I looked for 15 min, could find nothing. Not very confidence inspiring.

I'm sure mil/leo get maint contracts for the VHS-2

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Exploded parts diagrams are right in the Hellion manual that comes eity the gun, and also the digital copy on the Springfield website.

Sven
Manticore  Arms
View Quote

That was harder than it needed to be! In my earlier searches I ignored the print button thinking it would just print their stripped down online version.

Nope, that indeed downloads the pdf version/style I was looking for...

https://support.springfield-armory.com/manuals/hellion-manual
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]

That was harder than it needed to be! In my earlier searches I ignored the print button thinking it would just print their stripped down online version.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:  Exploded parts diagrams are right in the Hellion manual that comes eity the gun, and also the digital copy on the Springfield website.

Sven
Manticore  Arms

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:02:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#32]
I have actually read this ENTIRE thread.

I have handled a few Hellions now but the LOP, while not entirely bad, was just long enough that I didn't feel the "need" to purchase one.

Now that Manticore has the fix for the LOP...I think I am in.

I have a 20 inch AUG and I love it that way.  I even have the original 16 inch barrel on standby if I need it.

I was going to buy another 16 inch AUG but then Steyr had their "incident" with cracking stocks ( my AUG is a fairly early A3M1 so I am good to go ) and that drove me away from another AUG. (dammit)

Now I am torn between the 16 or 18 inch VHS2.  I can't decide on grey or green.

So, first, am I right in assuming the thread pitch on the barrel is 1/2 X 28?

Next: Sven.  Do you think you could offer a slightly shorter butt pad (just the pad, not the whole butt stock unit ) for those of us with 18 and 20 inch guns.  Say .200" shorter?  I don't think you could get the toe any thinner than that.

Last: How are you all liking your guns now that many of you have had them them for at least a year?

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Go green 16
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

I have actually read this ENTIRE thread.

I have handled a few Hellions now but the LOP, while not entirely bad, was just long enough that I didn't feel the "need" to purchase one.

Now that Manticore has the fix for the LOP...I think I am in.

I have a 20 inch AUG and I love it that way.  I even have the original 16 inch barrel on standby if I need it.

I was going to buy another 16 inch AUG but then Steyr had their "incident" with cracking stocks ( my AUG is a fairly early A3M1 so I am good to go ) and that drove me away from another AUG. (dammit)

Now I am torn between the 16 or 18 inch VHS2.  I can't decide on grey or green.

So, first, am I right in assuming the thread pitch on the barrel is 1/2 X 28?

Next: Sven.  Do you think you could offer a slightly shorter butt pad (just the pad, not the whole butt stock unit ) for those of us with 18 and 20 inch guns.  Say .200" shorter?  I don't think you could get the toe any thinner than that.

Last: How are you all liking your guns now that many of you have had them them for at least a year?

View Quote

Yes, ½x28

Love mine. Accurate and low recoil. Still trying to find the perfect optic setup for it though
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Go green 16
View Quote
I am torn.

Green is my favorite color but man, did I overdo green back in the day.

I tend towards blue or grey now and that VHS grey has a tinge of blue.

I always wanted the grey AUG stock .without the thumb hole thingie.

The green Hellions do look awesome, though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#36]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

Yes,  x28

Love mine. Accurate and low recoil. Still trying to find the perfect optic setup for it though
View Quote
Keep us posted.  I still need to replace the Romeo 5 (that's on my AUG ) that I mistakenly thought was Japanese made like the SIG scopes.  Boy was I pissed when I saw it was Chinese.  It's been a good optic but it WILL fail when I need it . I should get on that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
I am torn.

Green is my favorite color but man, did I overdo green back in the day.

I tend towards blue or grey now and that VHS grey has a tinge of blue.

I always wanted the grey AUG stock .without the thumb hole thingie.

The green Hellions do look awesome, though.
View Quote

Get both!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#38]
When will we see the other lengths in other colors?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#39]
Originally Posted By Stonia:
When will we see the other lengths in other colors?
View Quote
That's what I wanna know!!!!!!!  I may have to take Tomac's advice to heart!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Other than the non-chrome barrel, this also deterred me from buying the Hellion.

I realize only too well the AR15/M16 would also choke, but I feel like an AK might keep going for a full mag?

Mud Test: Springfield Armory Hellion (VHS-2)

Am I over the top with my expectations of a SHTF rifle?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:10:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#41]
Other than the non-chrome barrel, this also deterred me from buying the Hellion.

I realize only too well the AR15/M16 would also choke, but I feel like an AK might keep going for a full mag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFLFa7-bTo

View Quote

In those tests AKs actually do quite badly while AR platforms generally rock it and just run and run. The take away is the more sealed the system, the better the better it handles the ingress of mud. Honestly that's not a terrible performance for the VHS (compared to some, he did give it an A-/B+) but it's also not my go-to for crawling around the trenches of Ukraine anyways.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
pay no attention to this video....only one or two rifles have ever done even marginally well on this test...the AR and....I think the SIG 556? (AK-5)  I don't remember the other.  Nothing else gets close and 99 percent of the guns choke up right way...
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I mean if you live in a swamp and swim in the mud 24/7 then I think it’s a valid point.

Think the only test that could have some validity would be a dust test. A rifle in the back of a SxS driving down dirt roads for a few weeks would sure to collect dust.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Ian and Karst (when they were still on good terms) would tell you not to put too much stock in these tests, these are beyond extreme, unless you’re digging it out of the floor of a mud flooded trench in Ukraine, you very likely will not run into this, especially if it’s yours

Also Garand Thumbs Freezing test shows the VHS-2 beat AR’s in ice, again doesn’t mean much
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Yes, this is physically about as short as the Hellion LOP can get at 15.5" with our Hellion Curved Buttpad.  (OEM length of pull is 16.5 - 18.25")

Ignoring NFA you might be able to shave a little more off by removing the rubber buttpad, but ultimately you run into the cheekpiece and your face starts getting crammed against the rear of the rail and into the rear iron sight.  This is about the "sweet spot" of as short as possible while still being functional and ergonomic.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote
@Manticore_Arms

I got to mess with a 16 inch OD Green a bit today and I now see what you mean about getting crammed up to the rail if you go any shorter.  The current LOP is one of those things I waffle on but I know that your butt plate system will make it perfect.  I had asked about having a shorter pad for 18 inch guns but I retract that request.  Better is the enemy of good enough and your stock setup will be about perfect.

Sure would like to see an 18 OD or grey!!!!

Thank you, Sven, for coming out with aftermarket stuff so responsively!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#46]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:54:13 AM EDT
[#47]

@desertmoon

Glad you can see why we did what we did!  But to answer your earlier question just in case anyone else wonders:

We have no plans to offer any other length of buttpad at this time, we can't actually make the rubber shorter as the screw heads that hold it on need room to fit in the rubber buttpad and have enough rubber to hang on to it.

The LOP on our existing buttpad is very reasonable and it is 100% guaranteed to not make a Hellion fall under 26" regardless of barrel length.

Sven
Manticore Arms.
View Quote

@Manticore_Arms

Estimate as to when you will produce the butt-pad and safeties again?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Collectors vs shooters.

View All Quotes

Collectors vs shooters.

I get this.  But this mindset also brought us the Americanized Bren2 and Carmel and current AUG.  For some, including me, there is nothing redeeming about the changes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

As a counterpoint to this test....

Freezing Rifle Test PT 2 (Palmetto, G3, Tavor, Springfield, Sig etc)
Page / 21
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 20 of 21)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top