Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 19 of 21)
Page / 21
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

The stock Hellion/VHS2 trigger is pretty bad. It's extremely long and then you have 8 or so pounds to get it to break the shot, at least on mine. To me it is a prototypical bullpup trigger.  It is usable.  I'm able to hold 2 MOA at 300 w/ it easily. It is definitely no where near as good as a "nice" milspec AR trigger, much less a Geissele X95 trigger, that's for sure. Hopefully, as these things become more popular, someone creates a better trigger for it.  That and a new rail are all that's really needed now IMHO.

And I agree w/ you, using a cantilever mount on a rifle that doesn't need it and then bitching about height-over-bore seems disingenuous to me. Those guys know  that you can use regular scope rings to lower it some. However, the HoB is very high, even w/ proper rings.  I believe it is higher than a red dot mounted to a carry handle on an AR, but I haven't measure it myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
So is the trigger really that bad?

And in the above video seems like they are just running the wrong height optic which lead to some of there complaint's.

The stock Hellion/VHS2 trigger is pretty bad. It's extremely long and then you have 8 or so pounds to get it to break the shot, at least on mine. To me it is a prototypical bullpup trigger.  It is usable.  I'm able to hold 2 MOA at 300 w/ it easily. It is definitely no where near as good as a "nice" milspec AR trigger, much less a Geissele X95 trigger, that's for sure. Hopefully, as these things become more popular, someone creates a better trigger for it.  That and a new rail are all that's really needed now IMHO.

And I agree w/ you, using a cantilever mount on a rifle that doesn't need it and then bitching about height-over-bore seems disingenuous to me. Those guys know  that you can use regular scope rings to lower it some. However, the HoB is very high, even w/ proper rings.  I believe it is higher than a red dot mounted to a carry handle on an AR, but I haven't measure it myself.

We have ppl in the gun industry who only know flat top ARs, so that's hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#2]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
So is the trigger really that bad?

And in the above video seems like they are just running the wrong height optic which lead to some of there complaint's.
View Quote

I personally hate it..It is the worst trigger of all the bullpups I own..multistage..yes..mine is also 8lbs

As for optic height..there aren't any 1.1height 34mm cantilever mounts l..which is why end up running 30mm tubed lpvos on my Hellion.

Most mounts are 1.5" high..which ok on everything else (mostly) but the Hellion..
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:59:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Findsman] [#3]
I don’t get the hate for the trigger personally.  If you compare everything to a Geissele, maybe, but you’ll never enjoy anything else ever.

Feels kinda like a spongy Glock trigger to me.  I can feel a wall and a break, so it’s a good enough combat trigger.  I’d rate it better than the FS2000, better and worse than an AUG.

Maybe because I learned on crappy mil-spec AR triggers, then moved onto Century’s horrific 922r AK triggers, and had my first bullpup experience with the FS2000 I’m a lot more forgiving with what constitutes a “good” trigger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
I don’t get the hate for the trigger personally.  If you compare everything to a Geissele, maybe, but you’ll never enjoy anything else ever.

Feels kinda like a spongy Glock trigger to me.  I can feel a wall and a break, so it’s a good enough combat trigger.  I’d rate it better than the FS2000, better and worse than an AUG.

Maybe because I learned on crappy mil-spec AR triggers, then moved onto Century’s horrific 922r AK triggers, and had my first bullpup experience with the FS2000 I’m a lot more forgiving with what constitutes a “good” trigger.
View Quote

I feel the same, sometimes it’s seems like if it’s not a match grade trigger, it’s garbage

Guys need to feel military ‘grade’ triggers and you’ll understand why this one is actually not that bad at all
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The trigger's not good compared to a run of the mill milspec ar trigger but it doesn't really seem to hold many folks back from shooting great groups with it.

It's been the #1 item on my aftermarket upgrade wishlist since I brought my hellion home. However, despite not having an upgrade for it, I still love shooting it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:55:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#6]
For anyone so inclined, the Grey Ghost Gear Apparition pack is big enough to full enclose the VHS2 w/ a Manticore Arms buttpad installed, a Holosun AEMS on low mount, and a 20 round mag inserted.  Makes a handy little travel/truck gun, if you're into that sort of thing:

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm finally going to join the club.  Sold my AUG and am getting a 20" Hellion to replace it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Feels kinda like a spongy Glock trigger to me.  I can feel a wall and a break, so it’s a good enough combat trigger.
 I’d rate it better than the FS2000, better and worse than an AUG.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:53:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#9]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:

I feel the same, sometimes it’s seems like if it’s not a match grade trigger, it’s garbage

Guys need to feel military ‘grade’ triggers and you’ll understand why this one is actually not that bad at all
View Quote

What about those guy who have felt "military grade triggers" and still say its bad?

Ive got maybe..half the bullpups on the American market..and I hate the Hellion trigger..The Aug M3A1 seems better in comparison.
Tho..I will say the Hellion trigger is better than the Muzzlelite Bullpup kit I once had..So..theres that.

Comparing the Hellion to other non-bullpup triggers...well..
Ive also had century imported AK triggers (The 556 Norinco trigger suprised me and Battle rifle triggers (HK91 is heavy). The Bren 805 trigger is shockingly good..and the 806 is better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
The problem with the Hellion is it has a ridiculously long take up, so bad that I genuinely thought something was broken on our in house Hellion when I first went to shoot it.

The travel is somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" of light nothingness before you feel anything, which has to do with how they did a "Glock dingus" safety in the trigger.  

I actually suspect the VHS-2 is set up for a progressive trigger in full auto (you switch to full auto and like the AUG you get a semi shot if you pull the trigger partway, and full auto if you pull full back) and the long takeup is an artifact of the conversion to a semi only setup in the trigger group.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

That's exactly my problem with it. The actual break isn't terrible, but that long pull of nothingness is what gets me. Plus, it essentially makes the reach to the trigger significantly shorter, which in my experience made it so that my long fingers were just so oversized for the trigger that I absolutely needed a grip with a large beaver tail backstrap in order to make up for it. I had originally planned on using a grip without a back strap, but the trigger squashed that.
Hopefully when an aftermarket trigger comes out, it reduces that slop.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

That's exactly my problem with it. The actual break isn't terrible, but that long pull of nothingness is what gets me. Plus, it essentially makes the reach to the trigger significantly shorter, which in my experience made it so that my long fingers were just so oversized for the trigger that I absolutely needed a grip with a large beaver tail backstrap in order to make up for it. I had originally planned on using a grip without a back strap, but the trigger squashed that.
View All Quotes
The problem with the Hellion is it has a ridiculously long take up, so bad that I genuinely thought something was broken on our in house Hellion when I first went to shoot it.

The travel is somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" of light nothingness before you feel anything, which has to do with how they did a "Glock dingus" safety in the trigger.  

I actually suspect the VHS-2 is set up for a progressive trigger in full auto (you switch to full auto and like the AUG you get a semi shot if you pull the trigger partway, and full auto if you pull full back) and the long takeup is an artifact of the conversion to a semi only setup in the trigger group.

Sven
Manticore Arms

It's my main gripe with the trigger, as well.  I don't find that it gets in my way in actual use, but it does annoy me.

I haven't taken a close look at the whole trigger mechanism, but I wonder if a properly placed ball point set screw is all it would take to get rid of that useless slack.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By spork:

It's my main gripe with the trigger, as well.  I don't find that it gets in my way in actual use, but it does annoy me.

I haven't taken a close look at the whole trigger mechanism, but I wonder if a properly placed ball point set screw is all it would take to get rid of that useless slack.
View Quote

I'm okay with the first stage of the trigger having slack, that's not a problem to me, but the point of break is so far back that it makes the trigger reach too short. My preference would be to push the second stage of the trigger forwards instead of removing the first stage of the trigger entirely.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#14]
How is the rifle shooting off handed? Do you eat brass or is it ejected pretty well forward?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_1522] [#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I would say it depends upon how you hold it. First time I shot one it was right-hand ejection, I thought I had it clear of my face but got tagged a couple of times on the chin. As a point of reference that is with the butt stock fully extended. FYI, the cases leave a nice half-moon mark. I haven't tried shooting mine right-handed since changing it over. I can try getting one of my sons to give it a shot next time we hit the range and see how they do. They love it when I use them as guinea pigs!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#17]
My first mod.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#18]
@Manticore_Arms

Would you happen to have an ETA for Hellion curved buttpads?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Those ass clowns in that video are beyond obnoxious.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have any tips for removing the factory muzzle device? I’m about to attempt it and I keep reading it can be quite difficult.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bigdave73:
Those ass clowns in that video are beyond obnoxious.
View Quote

To what video are you referring?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#23]

I am out of town right now but 45-60 days at a rough guess. They are being made right now, just have a lot of parts in them.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Thank you, Sven.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigdave73] [#24]
Paulie771

Page 18

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T1j5-6CD9y8
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:52:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#25]
Originally Posted By bigdave73:
Paulie771

Page 18

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T1j5-6CD9y8
View Quote

I see.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone have any tips for removing the factory muzzle device? I’m about to attempt it and I keep reading it can be quite difficult.
View Quote

I just used a crescent wrench on the gas block, and then torqued on the flash hider opposite that. It was actually quite easy that way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]

I just used a crescent wrench on the gas block, and then torqued on the flash hider opposite that. It was actually quite easy that way.
View Quote

@Scrapple

Was there any threadlocker on it or were the threads bare?  Going to order a 20" here shortly probably, and want to replace the muzzle device with a Dead Air.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:

@Scrapple

Was there any threadlocker on it or were the threads bare?  Going to order a 20" here shortly probably, and want to replace the muzzle device with a Dead Air.
View Quote

I think bare, I don't remember it being an issue.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve popped off two so far, no thread locker that I’ve seen.  Just extremely torqued on from Springfield.  I had the gas block secured in a vice and had to use an extension bar for extra leverage when loosening.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve popped off two so far, no thread locker that I’ve seen.  Just extremely torqued on from Springfield.  I had the gas block secured in a vice and had to use an extension bar for extra leverage when loosening.
View Quote

This is what I had to do as well. A couple of pieces of leather in the jaws and a little patience and I was able to pop it off w/ a Magpul wrench with relatively little cursing. No thread lock, just torqued like a son of a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys.  I just have a small adjustable wrench that I usually use on muzzle devices.  Might need to get something with more grip area on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Are there any red dot / magnifier combos that offer lower ⅓ cowitness with the VHS-2 iron sights?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Are there any red dot / magnifier combos that offer lower ⅓ cowitness with the VHS-2 iron sights?
View Quote

Yes. Mine has a Sig Romeo 4T in the low mount plus small spacer, and then the Arisaka low magnifier mount, and that gives lower 1/3. I posted pics of it upthread a bit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TheRat:

Yes. Mine has a Sig Romeo 4T in the low mount plus small spacer, and then the Arisaka low magnifier mount, and that gives lower 1/3. I posted pics of it upthread a bit.
View Quote

Ok I did see that but it looked more like an absolute from the picture. Can you post pictures looking through the optic as well?. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Ok I did see that but it looked more like an absolute from the picture. Can you post pictures looking through the optic as well?. Thanks!
View Quote

I tried but my phone camera wouldn't focus on it even remotely well, sorry!

It's somewhere between lower 1/3 and absolute, but since both front and rear fold down it's fine for my purposes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#36]
First company that makes a Hellion drop in trigger replacement kit a la the super sabra is gonna make some good coin
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Karter14171:
First company that makes a Hellion drop in trigger replacement kit a la the super sabra is gonna make some good coin
View Quote

Same for an aluminum rail.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:14:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict] [#38]

View Quote

??

It already has an aluminum rail.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#40]

He is referring to an aluminum forend, not a top rail
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ProbableColtAddict:

??

It already has an aluminum rail.

He is referring to an aluminum forend, not a top rail

Yes, thanks. I meant an aluminum handguard. I was incorrectly using AR parlance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Not sure why you'd want an aluminum handguard, but I wouldn't mind a bipod handguard from BlkLbl bipod. That'd be swell
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:56:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#42]
Not sure why you'd want an aluminum handguard, but I wouldn't mind a bipod handguard from BlkLbl bipod. That'd be swell
View Quote

Equally unsure why you’d want something like that, but hey, different strokes, amirite?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Equally unsure why you’d want something like that, but hey, different strokes, amirite?
View Quote

Haha exactly! The beauty of rifles.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:42:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BSJ] [#44]
Forgotten Weapons featuring 20" barrel and VHS magwell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9BxU1-qB8
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BSJ:
Forgotten Weapons featuring 20" barrel and VHS magwell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9BxU1-qB8
View Quote

I want that mag well
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#46]

I want that mag well
View Quote

Are the magazines available?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:

View All Quotes

I want that mag well

About as available as the magazine well seems to be.  

My understanding is that it is compatible with G36 magazines as Croatia had a significant inventory of them prior to the VHS-2 being adopted.  I have a bunch of G36 mags since I have my 805 Bren setup for the Czech “retro” mag well which is also G36-compatible.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I want that magwell too!

I’ve tried and haven’t found anywhere they are available.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#49]

My understanding is that it is compatible with G36 magazines as Croatia had a significant inventory of them prior to the VHS-2 being adopted.  I have a bunch of G36 mags since I have my 805 Bren setup for the Czech “retro” mag well which is also G36-compatible.
View Quote

I bet its super hard to find g36 mags and that Bren 805  g36 adapter..
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

The 805 Retro adapter is hard to find now, yes, since the 805 is out of production.  CZ ran specials all the time back when it was available that you could get the adapter and 5 CZ mags for $100 though so I have more than a couple.  

HK G36 mags aren't exactly rare, they're just HK-priced around $40-$50, though sometimes you can find used ones in the $30-$40 range.  Magpul also makes a PMAG for it that is $25 and pretty easy to find.

I need a t-shirt that says "I survived the 94-04 AWB and all I got was this pile of mags... and this pile of mags... and all these piles of mags"

Attachment Attached File

So no, I'm not bothered in the least by G36-pattern magazines.
Page / 21
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 19 of 21)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top