Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Like kiddsf writes, the AUG is a beautiful gun. The AUG as a gun in general is a very well thought out, aesthetic, ergonomic, and reliable design.

I’ve had other bullpup guns but they never last. Overall I guess I’m an AUG fan more than a bullpup fan.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still one on yes. X95

First one that I shot was a Microtech Arms Aug Clone.

There was one, Microtech, for sale but if I get an AUG it will be the real thing. But I can't decide on the NATO or AUG style magazines
View Quote

I found a NATO AUG. put it on Layway.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My new MUD AUG hit the shop today……..picking it up tomorrow

Love the compactness.
Was a bit nervous with face so near the chamber
Shot the SAR for a few years, moved to the x95
Have the AUG nato headed my way.

Sometimes a bit of change is good. I’m set with the AR platform
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like kiddsf writes, the AUG is a beautiful gun. The AUG as a gun in general is a very well thought out, aesthetic, ergonomic, and reliable design.

I’ve had other bullpup guns but they never last. Overall I guess I’m an AUG fan more than a bullpup fan.
View Quote

The AUG will always be one of my first loves , it’s still one of the best looking weapons out there. No secret that I don’t like the direction Steyr US took with it vs Austria. That said, I’m very impressed with what IWI has done with the X95.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ve almost always had a bullpup. Wanted the more compact form factor. Aug, STG-E4, RDB, Tavor SAR, M17, and then back to the RDB again.

There was a 1 year time period I stuck with a 10.5” AR SBR, but after a while I started to hate the weight distribution. With optics, light, IR laser, and suppressor it was just so damn front heavy. That’s when I went back to the RDB. It’s a about 5oz heavier than my SBR, but feels much lighter on the shoulder. RDB is also just a bit longer with the suppressor then the naked SBR.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/5FDED6F8-90B3-4434-9303-E48F51085979-2277957.jpg

View Quote

Pretty much the same reasons an SAR is my go to.

1) compact size with std barrel lengths
2) weight distribution with shit mounted

Heavier overall, but the weight distribution is so much better, to the point it can be aimed and fired 1-handed.

Maintains the ballistics of a 16.5" barrel. Comparable length to a 10.5" AR with stock collapsed, or 7.5" with stock extended.

No NFA hassle to bring it along to go shooting with friends across state lines.

Desert Tech bolt rifles are great too.

.308 16" sub-MOA precision rifle, the length of a Tavor.

A .50BMG that's way shorter than a Barrett and ~10lbs lighter and fits in a regular rifle case/bag (not to mention sub-MOA capable with AMAX).

What's not to love?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like the neutral balance of the AUG when shouldered.

I can easily support it with one hand, as the weight is balanced at the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw the AUG in Die Hard, and in Illinois there were no SBRs allowed so a bullpup allowed for the shortest rifle possible while still having a 16" barrel.

My company is the largest manufacutrer of bullpup parts and accessories in the country (probably in the world) so for obvious reasons I have LOTS of them- I actually collect bullpups to see all the different ways design problems have been solved in them.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

@Manticore_Arms

Hey Sven. I'm curious about your opinion on the K&M M17s. Do you guys make any parts for it at all?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I owned one for a bit and never actually fired it and ended up selling it.  

It is a neat boutique design and Ken did a lot of nice upgrades, but to be honest I can't think of anything it needs and there is such a small volume of them there really is not the aftermarket demand for parts.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote
When are you going to tell up what you are working on for the VHS?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have any bullpups anymore, but I love the AUG still.  It's an amazing gun.

It was, IMO, by far the best bullpup until I got a Tavor 7.  IMO that is the ultimate bullpup.  Complete ambi controls, pretty good factory trigger... mine broke at 5.5lb, and very ergonomic.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I owned one for a bit and never actually fired it and ended up selling it.  

It is a neat boutique design and Ken did a lot of nice upgrades, but to be honest I can't think of anything it needs and there is such a small volume of them there really is not the aftermarket demand for parts.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

Fair enough. I'm planning on getting the .308 version when I get back to the US.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What got you into Bullpups
View Quote

Halo. The FS2000 is the closest thing to the MA5B.

Quoted:
and why do you still own them?
View Quote

Potential alien invasion.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not really into bullpups; I just like (and still own) the AUG.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#16]
@DCPhoenix RM commando L85
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought my Tavor SAR and Kel Tec RDB because they are not an AR.  I like innovation and things that are different from norm.  Still have them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right on.

I don't discriminate against bullpups or non-bullpups; I just buy firearms based solely on their merits.

But since this is the Bullpup Section, my current bullpup list is: AUG A2, AUG A3, F2000, PS90.
I'd like to add a Thales/Lithgow F90 to the stable. Probably will have to import one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Right on.

I don't discriminate against bullpups or non-bullpups; I just buy firearms based solely on their merits.

But since this is the Bullpup Section, my current bullpup list is: AUG A2, AUG A3, F2000, PS90.
I'd like to add a Thales/Lithgow F90 to the stable. Probably will have to import one.
View Quote

Are there any semi auto only F90 for the civi anywhere in the world?
Thought the project got canceled right after they got an okay from ATF but the NZ shooting happened and Thales/Lithgow decides to cancel.
I figure that was the end for all semi auto F90s.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think so.
Haven't heard of a semi-auto for civilian LE, but I need to check.

I'd probably get the select-fire F90, unless they do happen to offer it as a semi-auto SBR.
I think the hammer packs are the same, so theoretically I could convert one to select-fire with a registered AUG pack after importation.

In any case, definitely want the 14.5" version.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thought the project got canceled right after they got an okay from ATF but the NZ shooting happened and Thales/Lithgow decides to cancel.
I figure that was the end for all semi auto F90s.
View Quote

Technically yes. But it’s not my place to elaborate.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But it's not my place to elaborate.
View Quote
Why not?
Please elaborate. Lithgow website kinda sucks, and doesn't mention any semi-autos.

I found old references (2016, 2017) on Google about a semi-auto F90-LE
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/28/thales-introduces-civilian-semiautomatic-f90/

Maybe that was the planned model name for all the civilian semi-auto imports though? Idk.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m left handed, so that’s what got me interested in getting a bullpup. I picked up an RDB off another member here on the forum a couple of years ago and I have been very happy with it. It is great for throwing on the ATV and running around the ranch checking fences:

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why not?
Please elaborate. Lithgow website kinda sucks, and doesn't mention any semi-autos.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/28/thales-introduces-civilian-semiautomatic-f90/

Maybe that was the planned model name for all the civilian semi-auto imports though? Idk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it's not my place to elaborate.
Why not?

This, spill the beans. I was really hoping for an F90 when I read about them way back, and only recently got back into bullpups.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't get a SA80 or  FAMAS.  I went with an AUG.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I blame @maleante
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't have any, but I would sure like a GM6 Lynx .50 cal.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I blame @maleante
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't have any, but I would sure like a GM6 Lynx .50 cal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461570/gm6_jpg-2433458.JPG

View Quote

I can’t stomach the price and I’ve considered selling a couple guns to buy the gm6 lynx but I have a hard time justifying a .50 bmg even though I have the distance. It’s still on my list though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why not?

View Quote

I know it’s very cockteasy, and for that I apologize but I can’t elaborate more than saying one technically exists. If the owner chooses to say something then that’s up to them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I found this from the 2017 catalog . They do mention a F90-LE but don't explicitly state it isn't a MG (per US import purposes).

Attachment Attached File

This doesn't look like a hammer pack that ATF would consider designed to be semi-auto only, but idk.
Maybe that's a rivet where the autosear would be, but it looks like they simply removed it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#33]
A good sale got me into them, then It’s been a rabbit hole trying to find the best. Weirdly I’ve shot Steyr pistols for years but never got a Aug until a few years back. I like the compact package for transport and shooting, especially in action shooting sports.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why did you buy your first bullpup?

After owning one (or more) did it change your thinking about them? Were you initially disappointed or impressed?  

Do you still own them for the same reasons?

View Quote

First inspired to look at them because Die Hard, "what is this weird looking gun and why is it like that?" Shooting an AUG one-handed at a rental range convinced me. Was disappointed at first because, well, I sucked at shooting and a different balance point doesn't fix that magically. I liked it alright but had to sell it for money. Recently, picked up the TS12 which is absolutely amazing. Main reason I like them then and now is short OAL and potential for one-handed use. A shotgun in particular is most capable at short range, so having it in a much shorter, more maneuverable package than your standard 870 with about 3x the capacity and in semi-auto is huge.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#35]
One original steyr AUGA1 like in Die Hard, started it all.

Bought a USR but it looked stupid next to my unneutered one and sold it.

Bought two A3s to replace it.  One regular and one NATO.

Tavor,  x95 and now a Hellion.

The only other one I would like is a FAMAS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I began in the mid/late 1980s with a penchant for collecting all the world's modern and Cold War military service rifles that were acquirable.  This was the age of vintage action hero movies, Miami Vice (guest starring a new villain gun each week), and looming "assault weapons" bans that only amplified what was a relatively unknown scene.

Steyr AUG was naturally one of the first on the list.  Sure, it was Die Hard that did it.  Just like Die Hard 2 did it for the Glock.  Also, if you bought wholesale from a big distributor you could get a lot of what are now regarded as classic pre-ban guns for an average of $500, more or less.  These all trade for many thousands today as you all know.  

But the AUG was hard to get and like the SIG-550 were regarded as the Porsche or Mercedes-Benz option compared to the rest, and therefore kept a premium price.  Heckler & Koch guns were regarded similarly but Hk imported far more than other boutique Euro manufacturers and had been for well over a decade before.

It has been thirty years I've owned AUGs and they never fail to attract attention.  There's always someone at the range who's only seen one in pictures.  I let them have some rounds.  If they ask, I'll show them the instant change barrel system or unbuckle the side latch and spill out the bolt carrier if they're puzzled how a bull pup even works.  I don't mind, I'm at the range to get out of the house and weekend chores.  I'm getting older and have typically been the type to spend four hours at our amazing outdoor range and fire maybe 30 rounds all day.  Putting five rounds in the mag at most.  Print tight groups, make 'em count.  

My FNC, Valmets, Polytechs, Daewoos, FN Herstal/IMI FALs, etc haven't been outside my safes in a long time except for queenly maintenance.  The AUG and various Hk guns always get selected for a day out, but I really ought to start switching it up.  

AUGs shoot with accuracy a hell of a lot better than some people seem to think.  Lots of internet nonsense that says otherwise somehow stays alive through oral transmission from gun forums.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My FNC, Valmets, Polytechs, Daewoos, FN Herstal/IMI FALs, etc haven't been outside my safes in a long time except for queenly maintenance.  The AUG and various Hk guns always get selected for a day out, but I really ought to start switching it up.  
View Quote

Bro, call me when it is safe queen range day.  I'll get my FNC and Valmet out and we can go tear it up.

AR-15s are excellent, but can get quite boring at times. AUG is Awesome.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Got my Black LEO AUG from my dad when he got it from a LASD deputy outside B and B for 400 bucks. He was told he needed to register it or get rid of it and he did just that.

Sold that one in 2001 for about 4800 bucks when the guy gave me a deal I couldn't resist.

Got my 2nd AUG  which is an A2 from a former DSS , rifle was a Swiss civilian version and he brought it back in the late 90s. Strange deal as he bought my brothers LEO L1A1 for about 4000. Didn't have the funds but offered my brother 3000. My brothers deal was he was fine with 3000 and didn't care for whatever I made. So he offered the AUG plus 3000 for the L1A1.

From parts I collected since 2004, from extra barrels, extra BCG and stocks, I got my 3rd AUG with the 2020 Steyr blemished receiver deal they did.

In the end, if I didn't sell my dads AUG, I wouldn't have gotten the other two.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I am a space gun junkie so I've always liked the weird guns and bullpups. I remember ordering a Bushmaster catalog as a teen and drooling over the M17.  I currently own a Tavor SAR, FS2000 Tactical and a PS90. The Tavor and Tactical Tuna mostly sit in the safe due to not being made anymore. The PS90 is ready to go, but frack those ammo prices. It's like some retarded Goa'uld is doing everything they can to inflate ammo prices.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I own the km arms m17 in 556 and 308. It has it's quirks and such but I think it has great features to it. How hard is it to change something like that at a more fundamental level? Like swapping out gas systems, changing safety controls, is it impossible? I'd love a longer gas system, an infinitely adjustable gas block, ar style controls especially for safety manipulation but maybe mag release too, and detent pins where there are now a bunch of screws.

I guess this goes past gunsmithing into gun design, but you think that's possible on an existing rifle or would it need a complete teardown and rebuild?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw my first AUG years ago when they were very hard to get and wanted one. I was so tired of cleaning the dirty shooting AR rifles that these appealed to me. Been an AUG lover ever since.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’m left handed, so that’s what got me interested in getting a bullpup. I picked up an RDB off another member here on the forum a couple of years ago and I have been very happy with it. It is great for throwing on the ATV and running around the ranch checking fences:

https://i.postimg.cc/wT0GgHMP/RDB-5.jpg
View Quote

If there ever was a rifle that needed to be Ruger-fied, it’s the RDP.  A few changes and better production at roll out and I think it could compete with the VHS on sales.

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I have bullpups because I just like seeing the physical manifestations of the mental gymnastics designers go through to try and be as good as an AR.  That, and they are not ARs.

FS2000
PS90
AUG A3
Keltec RDB
Several Keltec KSG Shotguns, but those aren't trying to be ARs
Tavor X95
HS Produkt Hellion

They're fun.  They're wonky.

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bro, call me when it is safe queen range day.  I'll get my FNC and Valmet out and we can go tear it up.

https://i.imgur.com/sAPpxlp.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/sAPpxlp.jpg

Those look spectacular; I really dig the extended A3 Corvus rail paired with the 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If there ever was a rifle that needed to be Ruger-fied, it’s the RDP.  A few changes and better production at roll out and I think it could compete with the VHS on sales.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/wT0GgHMP/RDB-5.jpg

Yeah KelTec is far and away Americas/the worlds most innovative small arms design team, but paired with the firearm worlds spottiest QC manufacturing.

My "I'm elon musk rich" fantasy involves buying KelTec and FN, and having FN's superb QC factory make KelTec designs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#46]
SBR sized with full length barrels.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah KelTec is far and away Americas/the worlds most innovative small arms design team, but paired with the firearm worlds spottiest QC manufacturing.

My "I'm elon musk rich" fantasy involves buying KelTec and FN, and having FN's superb QC factory make KelTec designs.
View Quote

This sums up my thoughts perfectly!
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I've got the Kel Tec RDB, and RFB. A Steyr AUG, an MSAR XM17-E4, and a Tavor SAR. All use AR mags except the RFB, FAL mags which I have tons of.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Guns are cool, so I got into bullpups after AK’s and AR’s once the Tavor became readily available

Staying with them as I have multiple bullpups and I love the way they handle and their history, etc, also they are great to hunt with and are great for mag dumps into trash before taco night with the boys
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#50]
My only pup currently is a Tavor SAR.  I like it because it gives me an overall package the size of a SBR with the terminal ballistics of a full size carbine.

I added a Geissele Super Sabra trigger pack to mine, which is excellent.  Equivalent to a match grade AR trigger.  It runs great suppressed, which is an added bonus.

I have shot an AUG and really like the way it handles; despite the fact that the trigger leaves much to be desired.  An AUG M3 will be the next on my bullpup list.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top