Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2017 12:50:30 PM EDT
Long time lurker, decided to finally create an account.

I have recently shot an HK MP5 PDW (FA) while on vacation in CO and an AUG (FA) and ATRAX (FA) while at the Bullpup shoot.

I loved shooting all three of them but FA is not allowed (nor in my price range) in IL.

For those of you that have the HK and AUG, which would you suggest and why.

I realize this is a Bullpup forum but am looking for pros and cons of each.

By the way, the Bullpup shoot was awesome and Sven saw my 10 year old son was having a hard time with the noise and let him use additional ear protection.

Thank you very much Sven.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Both.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The choice is easy...AUG all the way.  The MP-5 is overpriced if it is HK produced and lacks a bolt hold open, not to mention it is limited to 9mm.  If you want it as compact as possible, you're going to need to SBR it.  The AUG is going to give you the most compact option to use a full powered rifle cartridge and will do it with a barrel that offers respectable ballistics that are much better than "across the room".  It's also going to be somewhat less expensive.

I never saw the allure of HK once the prices got nosebleed high and they started sniffing glue and believing their own marketing hype.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
No bolt hold open on the HK. AUG or Tavor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the alleged “shitty” MP5 clones and two AUGs. The MP5 runs like a top and it always has. They’re an absolute joy to own and shoot, but an SBR is a must, as well as a suppressor. It’s a crowd pleaser and everyone who shoots it loves every minute of it. They get absolutely filthy though; you will never complain about cleaning an AR again.

The AUG is probably my favorite 5.56 rifle.The cartridge is far more useful for “social” scenarios than the 9mm. They have their quirks, but once you understand them and get accustomed to operating the gun, it really begins to shine. No need to SBR it, as it’s already nice and compact. They don’t suppress very well due to flash and noise from the gas valve, so if that’s a consideration, just be aware of it. 

For me, the MP5 is purely recreational, although it would make a good home defense option if needed. I keep one of my AUGs in the trunk of my car. ‘Nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the feedback.

Illinois doesn't allow FA, SBR, or silencers so that takes a lot of fun out of the HK.

I have an AR so I am pretty well stocked-up on 5.56 which is a nice plus.

What are your guys thoughts on the AUG vs the upcoming ATRAX?

I have seen the other threads, just wondering if any of you have handled both and have first hand thoughts on them.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The "mentioned" feature is pretty awesome!

I'd also go with the AUG over an MP5 clone. MP5s, be they clones or the real deal, are heavy for what they are.

The Ergos are not that great:
The selector switch is very shitty awkward where it sits in relation to the pistol grip.
There is no bolt hold open so anytime you get a click instead of a bang you remove finger from trigger, lock bolt to rear, and either change magazines or tilt right and shake out brass then release the bolt then fire or go on safe.

And its heavy. If you run the collapsible stock the toe of the stock needs to be high or barely on the shoulder so that you get a good clean sight picture with irons. Running red dots mitigates it somewhat.

The MP5 is a sexy cool gun (like the P90) but just like dating a new girl, the shine quickly wears off. AUG is a much better choice.

Edit to add: The MP5 does have some positive attributes. Its very compact especially with the collapsed stock. If you can get a PDW version then it becomes an incredibly niche weapon for PSD assignments or when you need to be heavily armed yet hidden as you walk around in street clothes. The Eagle shoulder rig for it is incredible and letting you tote it under a coat or jacket. MP5 magazines are all but impervious to failure. They are steel and weigh a ton but they very rarely break.  CQB with the PDW in tight spaces like aircraft or trains (think tubular assaults) is easy with the PDW but make plenty of accurate and repeat hits on your target since its a 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Completely different types of weapons, but I'd go with the Aug for sure.

ETA:  I guess I should include 'why'.  The Aug is a weapon that is high quality, reliable, and has a lot of utility while still being cool/fun to shoot.  The MP5 clones, in my experience, have varying quality, varying reliability, and for me it has no real use outside of fun at the range.  That's my take on it.  Nothing wrong with getting an MP5 clone, I just wouldn't get that before the Aug.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely feeling that AUG is the way to go.

This is just for range use (not doing any CQB work on trains or planes) so it makes more sense.

Is Pete Athens website PJS-SteyrAug.com?

It sounds like people have very good experiences with him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely feeling that AUG is the way to go.

This is just for range use (not doing any CQB work on trains or planes) so it makes more sense.

Is Pete Athens website PJS-SteyrAug.com?

It sounds like people have very good experiences with him.
View Quote
I have dealt with Pete. I wish all dealers/shops were like him. He will bend over backwards for customers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Why are you asking about the MP5 if you can't afford one? In any event I'll try and respond. I had an H&K MP5 A3 which was an S&H conversion of an H&K 94 using a registered auto sear. I also had a AWC 9mm suppressor. The MP5 is an outstanding submachinegun. It is accurate for the rang of a 9mm round. Recoil is light as you would expect with a 9mm round. Full auto fire is controllable because it is only firing a 9mm round. With a suppressor it doesn't require any ear plugs or muffs to shoot fully automatic outdoors. Indoors is a different story.

The Steyr Aug is about the best bullpup rifle on the market. I prefer it over the MP5 because it fires a rifle round which is much more effective than a simple 9mm round. I sold my MP5 and bought an M16A1 because a 5.56 rifle round is much more effective and much more satisfying to fire on semi or full auto than any 9mm submachinegun. My Steyr Aug is semi-auto. The full auto ones sell for about $18,000. The Steyr Aug is very reliable and I've had Steyr Augs that were 10 years old and haven't needed any replacement parts. I like the quick change barrel which takes 2 seconds to remove or to replace on the stock. The Steyr Aug with a 16" barrel is shorter than my Colt M16A1 with a 14.5" M4 upper receiver, with it's collapsing stock (on the Colt) fully collapsed. I have both the regular stock and the Nato stock for my Steyr Aug. The Nato stock allows you to use all common AR15 magazines including drum magazines like the X Products 50rd drums or the MagPul 60rd drum magazines. An MP5 sells for about $30,000. Compared to the Steyr Aug's $18,000, I'd get the Aug. Even if your looking at semi-auto Aug v. a semi-auto version of an MP5 (semi-auto/short barrel rifle NFA item), I'd get the Aug. Better weapon, better caliber, extremely short overall length (not as short as an MP5), and no need for NFA registration process.

And, as others have said, deal directly with Pete Athens. He's the best and most knowledgeable person for Steyr Augs. He's been in business  for many years. And he'll give you the better deal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
My MP5K is the cats ass.  Love it.

Fired a semi-auto copy this summer and it was like kissing my sister.

My AUG, any one of the 3 I have, are all nicer than the semi Mp5.

Mp5 full auto or forget it. AUGs rock.

My 2¢
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why are you asking about the MP5 if you can't afford one?
View Quote
To save money until he has one?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Different animals for sure. I have a semi auto Zenith MP5 and it's freaking awesome, just a ton of fun to shoot. I also have a 16in AUG and it's awesome as well. The AUG is just a couple inches longer and much more practical than the MP5 in that it's more powerful, almost the same size with a brace or SBR'ed and you can reach out much farther with it. The AUG is noticeably heavier.    

I think of the MP5 as more of a range toy but really that's what my AUG is as well. My home defense rifle is a suppressed BCM AR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I think you guys are misunderstanding me, I cannot afford a fully-automatic HK.

However, I can afford the semi-auto HK and AUG.

I was able to fire the FA guns at a gun range and at the Bullpup shoot.

In FA all the guns were awesome, just not sure if they are as fun in semi.

Therein lies the dilemma.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No bolt hold open on the HK. AUG or Tavor.
View Quote
Huh?

You sure about that Clark?

Edit.  I missed the "." after HK.   Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
What's really sad is that I can reload my AUG faster than my MP5K.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Both.
View Quote
+1 First post nailed it, they are both used in Die Hard!!

You do live in a shitty NFA state but you can still use a mp5 clone as a pistol right?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Have a MDR on order when the f90 comes it’s on the top of my list so I can’t help much with the bullpups but the zenith mp5k clone is awesome. It’s a really fun gun to shoot and is consistent with me to the range, but a interniedate cartridge is more appealing to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top