Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2017 7:17:41 PM EDT
This is not a "talk me out of it" thread although if you think  AUG is not the best choice tell me why.  Was shown one at a gunshop and like it.  Plus my birthday is coming up this month so I have an excuse.  I told my wife I needed a new rifle and she didn't even blink before telling me she needed an iPhone 10.  So my new AUG is going to cost me a grand more than I thought.

Rather than get a sales pitch on what I was being shown at the gunshop I decided to come back here for advice.  Am a lefty so info concerning ambi controls will be helpful.  Not sure I like the scope type sight as I have become comfortable with wide peripheral view/both eyes open feature of an RDS and there are a wide variety of sighting systems for a rail.   Want a can for it.   Barrel length options?  Things to look out for or options I should implement?

From what I have read in here the AUG seems head and shoulders above the rest.  Battle tested, beautiful design imo.  Can you guys guide me a bit before I purchase?  Personal observations/experiences/regrets welcome.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some super-AUG-experts that will be along shortly to give you some more in depth info, but for now....

As far as ambi-controls, I don't think you would have any issues since I am betting you have dealt with controls issues before.  If you are converting a right handed over to left - you will need a left handed bolt.  The stock is pretty easy to open up for the left side - pop a piece out and done.  All your controls will still be on the left - mag release, bolt release, charging handle.
Now if you buy a left handed AUG from the factory - I honestly do not know if they have the controls on the right side or not.  I am positive that the charging handle will always be on the left side, but the other controls - not sure if it comes from the factory.

Sights - the AUG is pretty modular now.  The newest model A3 M1, you can bolt on a Steyr optic or you can bolt on one of the various lengths of flat rails instead and mount whatever optic you like.  The older model A3, you have a longer flattop or a Steyr optic.  Can't switch them around as easily.

Barrel length - your party, pick what you like.  16, 18, and 20 are the big players.  Most common is the 16.

Upgrade options to look for - The trigger takes some getting used to, it is a long sometimes gritty pull.  There are some ways out there to soften it up (Neutrigger) and the guys at the big G are putting together an AUG trigger as we speak, so someday that will be available.  Other upgrades....depends on what you want.  A company called Corvus Defensio out of Austria has been putting out some great products (shell deflector, mag release, rails, etc.).  Manticore Arms and Gear Head Works also put out some great parts.

My personal opinion on the rifle is that it is fantastic.  I used my A3 on an intro carbine class just for fun to see how it would do - I loved it and have used it for every class since then and it has done everything that was asked and did it all very well.  
I am a huge fan of it and my A3 is easily my go to rifle for anything right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Left handed owner of a A3 M1 here. I'm running an Aimpoint on mine. 20" barrel. All the controls can be manipulated pretty easily while shooting left handed. Get one, you'll love it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Pete's rail with a 1/7 barrel and aug mag stock in your favorite color. Add the optic of your choice.

Oh and a 2020 TSM until Geiselle gets on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pete's rail with a 1/7 barrel and aug mag stock in your favorite color. Add the optic of your choice.

View Quote
Looked up the sear module and that will be a definite add.  Not sure what Pete's rail is.  Low, short?  So I don't want the AR mag compatibility but should go with the AUG mag stock?   Why 1/7 over the 1/9 twist?  Forgive all the questions but I am a sponge for info right now.

Color?  Everything else I have is black so color is a new thing for me.  Sorta like the green one.

edit:  Found Pete.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Pete's rail is now what steyr sells as the "extended rail" from the factory. It's a good design and is the best option out there.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/M1-AUG-extended-rail-25-slots-now-available/43-472551/
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#6]
From personal experience, stick with the 16" barrel and don't bother with the factory optics. Get the extended rail and use your favorite optic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From personal experience, stick with the 16" barrel and don't bother with the factory optics. Get the extended rail and use your favorite optic.
View Quote
Is the short rail too far towards the muzzle or just too short?  Only going to put the RDS on there so don't need a lot of room.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is the short rail too far towards the muzzle or just too short?  Only going to put the RDS on there so don't need a lot of room.
View Quote
It's just to short for people wanting more than an optic , if your just putting an optic in it is fine.

Personally I have 2 Aug rifles and I would recommend the factory optic , As they are just cool and you will find yourself wanting one for nostalgic reasons eventually that's why I have 2 lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why a 1/7 vs 1/9 barrel?

Why not a NATO that accepts AR mags?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you ever going to use ammo lighter than 55 gr.?
If not, the 1:7 is preferable.

You'll have to choose between having the A3 bolt release, or having AR mag compatability.

I chose the A3 bolt release and 1:7 twist. I bought AUG mags when they were dirt cheap, but they're still very inexpensive, relatively speaking.

I understand the benefit of not having to bring as many different mags to the range, but I'm used to it already. AKs, G36, HKx3, SG 55x, Galil, Mini-14, and AUG all use different mags for the same 5.56mm chambering, but I think it's cool using the original designs.

Being a lefty, you may find the A3 release to not be very helpful, so the AR mags may be the better choice. There is at least one aftermarket operating handle which is aluminum and fixed at a downward orientation. That might be beneficial for reaching underneath and charging with your right hand. Worth a try.

My favorite AUG is a de-banned USR, so essentially an A2 but with the A3 stock. The A3 or A3 M1 with long rail would be best for combat/HD (which would involve configuring it for nighttime use as well).

It's currently wearing an Austrian 1:9 barrel, because I like the old tulip and classic check nut.

I don't have a pic of my A3 because it's not setup yet, but it will have an IR laser and a 14" barrel when done. I sold my original Sabre A3 for a nice profit, and replaced it with one of the 1:7 twist A3 rifles offered later. I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with the F90, and I like the rail setup (without a weight penalty) I'm seeing in the promo photos.

ETA: Here's the Gear Head Works charging handle:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a left handed shooter and love my AUG, unfortunately the NATO AUG stock does not have a cut out on the left for an ejection port so you will have to use AUG mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Will the NATO stock accept the port cover? If so, couldn't he have an ejection port milled out of the left side? Or was it omitted for a reason?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a left handed shooter and love my AUG, unfortunately the NATO AUG stock does not have a cut out on the left for an ejection port so you will have to use AUG mags.
View Quote
Ah, that is critical info.  Thanks.   Are there other advantages to the NATO version besides the mag compatibility?

I like the Gear Head ch mod.  Not sure how a "reach under" will work but am picturing just tilting the rifle to the right to grab the charging handle from the top with my right hand or tilting it the other way to grab from the bottom.   In that scenario proximity of the stock handle to my optic could be a problem.  The Gear Head mod will probably make it easier to grab and charge.  Any lefties in here using it?

Is the A3 M1 set up for QD or threaded for can capability?

Another question I have is about pre-ban AUGs.  If I can afford one, why would I want it?  Remember I'm a lefty so that may kill the whole idea of a pre-ban if there is no port or bolt for me.

So far I'm looking at an A3 M1 non-NATO AUG, short rail, 1/7 twist.  20/20 TSM, lefty bolt, most likely a Gear Head ch upgrade.   My dealer says the US manufacturer told him they are out of OD green currently so either it is popular or they made less of them.  EDIT: Just found out that OD green was the color of the original so going with that.

You guys have provided some really great info.  It's a blessing to have the info prior to purchase since I want to get what I need the first time around.  Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#14]
How much is your dealer charging you? I can almost guarantee that Pete Athens will beat their prices. On top of that there is a $100 rebate now from steyr.

Pete may have a green stock and he has left hand bolts - don't think he charges to swap them.

ETA whether or not you buy from Pete, you'd be a fool and do yourself a disservice by not speaking with him before your purchase. There's only one person in the USA with more knowledge and experience than him, and that's Herbert, the Austrian gunsmith who works for steyr...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Will the NATO stock accept the port cover? If so, couldn't he have an ejection port milled out of the left side? Or was it omitted for a reason?
View Quote
I've explored doing this before and was told it does not have the tabs for the cover to snap into the ejection port on the NATO stock. I have no idea why Steyr made the decision to not make the NATO stock ambidextrous, it truly baffels me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How much is your dealer charging you? I can almost guarantee that Pete Athens will beat their prices. On top of that there is a $100 rebate now from steyr.

Pete may have a green stock and he has left hand bolts - don't think he charges to swap them.

ETA whether or not you buy from Pete, you'd be a fool and do yourself a disservice by not speaking with him before your purchase. There's only one person in the USA with more knowledge and experience than him, and that's Herbert, the Austrian gunsmith who works for steyr...
View Quote
This is spot on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is spot on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is spot on.
I sent an email and then a follow up a few days later to Pete when I first started this thread but have not heard back yet.  He may be one of those who doesn't check email too often so I'll give him a call Monday.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I sent an email and then a follow up a few days later to Pete when I first started this thread but have not heard back yet.  He may be one of those who doesn't check email too often so I'll give him a call Monday.
View Quote
Pete is more of a phone guy than e-mail, just call him. Also, as stated, he'll probably beat the LGS price and in addition will ship it configured just the way you want if he has the parts in stock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought from Pete.  Glad I did, he configured it exactly as I wanted - no charge,  amd had a great price too.  Recommend
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Spoke with Pete a few minutes ago.  He can get me anything except OD green unless I want to wait a couple months.   Not sure I wanted it that badly anyway.  He recommended a mid length rail instead of the short rail, says my RDS may be too far out with the short one plus I have more options with the mid length one.  He doesn't install trigger packs or aftermarket charging handles but can order my lefty bolt factory installed without extra cost.

He said he could send me an anniversary model (he has some extras after pre-sales went unfulfilled) hundreds less than typical retail.   He can install a 16 inch barrel but it won't have the serial number.  Any reason why I should go for that deal other than the dollar savings?

Edit: A question I haven't asked yet is:  If you could acquire any AUG, which would it be and why?  (Excluding full auto models since I don't think I can own one anyway.)  Being a lefty may exclude most of them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He said he could send me an anniversary model (he has some extras after pre-sales went unfulfilled) hundreds less than typical retail.   He can install a 16 inch barrel but it won't have the serial number.  Any reason why I should go for that deal other than the dollar savings?

Edit: A question I haven't asked yet is:  If you could acquire any AUG, which would it be and why?  (Excluding full auto models since I don't think I can own one anyway.)  Being a lefty may exclude most of them.
View Quote
I'd get the STG77 anniversary model and the 20" barrel, because Karl.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Now I'm actually considering seeking out and acquiring a full auto original if I can get it with a left handed bolt.  Can it be done?  Appears I have fallen down a rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now I'm actually considering seeking out and acquiring a full auto original if I can get it with a left handed bolt.  Can it be done?  Appears I have fallen down a rabbit hole.
View Quote
Yes.

If I were you, I'd either buy a semi AUG or find one to shoot for an hour or two before dropping the cash on a transferable gun. That's not to say that the auto guns are bad in any way, but you probably should get a feel for the awesomeness before buying - in the off chance your awesome receptors are broken.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
You are probably right about that.  Plus rusty gov gears grind out the paperwork slowly.  My last sbr took 9 months to get the stamp.  Are they any faster now?  btw is the process the same for full auto?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Transfers are slower now. The process is the same. 41F changed some stuff. Check out a sticky or two. Currently, trusts are taking longer than other transfer methods at ~13(+) months.

Only the NATO AUG stock cannot be converted LH. All other stocks can be, going all the way back to Karl's. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Transfers are slower now. The process is the same. 41F changed some stuff. Check out a sticky or two. Currently, trusts are taking longer than other transfer methods at ~13(+) months.

Only the NATO AUG stock cannot be converted LH. All other stocks can be, going all the way back to Karl's. 
View Quote
Good info on the lefty bolt fitment.

I read somewhere that since I had a trust set up within the last 2 years I can certify that none of the info has changed without resubmitting it all.  So all I would have to file is the new form 4 if I understand correctly.  That should cut the time a bit I would hope.   Or will it?

Checking for stickys on the subject.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm left handed and own an AUG A3 and a Tavor.  

I like the AUG better.  About the only thing I don't like about it is the safety.  It's just wrong for left handed shooters.  It works okay, but it's just not "right".

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Ha!  PB&J...  I lived off that stuff as a kid.  My mom's cooking was terrible.  Come to think of it, my wife can't cook either!!  :)
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#29]
UPDATE:  Pete has been working with my local dealer for 20 years now.   He helped my dealer get a FA AUG conversion working right.   It really IS a small world.    One more recommendation for Pete doesn't hurt either since I will be plunking down some serious change to make this happen.   Must have good results and need the top dawgs assisting me.

I've already decided to go the route to FA but now have to decide which route to take.  I understand there are several options.  Original FA, converted, and I believe a couple different rdias options go along with that.  I am more of a shooter than a collector so I would be happy if I can acquire a rdias that I can use in a newer AUG such as the A3.

Opinions on best route to take to FA?  What do you guys think?  This is getting interesting.  No way to have it by my birthday this month but at least I can get the ball rolling.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a registered hammer pack or registered sear. Then you can use it in whatever AUG(s) you want.

Read this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/How-were-Steyr-AUG-FA-conversions-physically-done-/22-414987/

Have you fired an AUG yet?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Get a registered hammer pack or registered sear. Then you can use it in whatever AUG(s) you want.

Read this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/How-were-Steyr-AUG-FA-conversions-physically-done-/22-414987/

Have you fired an AUG yet?
View Quote
The rdias or hammer pack sure seem to be the way to go.  Great thread thanks for the pointer.

Have not fired one yet but had already decided I wanted one.   Will go with Pete for a A3 M1l for now.   Then since my local dealer has worked with Pete for so long I'll let him connect me with what I need to start the long wait for the stamp.  Hopefully they caught back up a bit from the mad rush.

btw I was told that my trust is pretty much useless now.  Plus my assignees would have to also fingerprint, photo, etc.  Individual applications are now faster than trust.   Figures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top