Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome, now you can finally torture test it & break some stuff for us!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Part of me wants to sell it while I can say it's working in good faith.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I hear ya! Probably what I’d do in your shoes...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know how you feel.

I threw the lwts on it and zero'd it. Once the aluminum handguard shows up I'll probably throw a peq or dbal on it and attempt to take it hog hunting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure how long this has been on the DT website, but it looks like we're getting ANOTHER gas valve:

https://deserttech.com/parts.php?item=2385

"Description
The 2019 gas valve has been improved upon to be more intuitive and user friendly and allow an even wider range of compatibility with different combinations of ammunition & suppressors than the previous gas valves. We have also incorporated the changes in all .223/5.56 MDR's that have shipped.
Kit includes valve, coiled spring pin, gas knob detent spring, and gas knob detent. Valve will come with piston ring installed.

Current gas valve is not available. New valve coming soon."
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, with these improvements every 6 months or so it's like Christmas multiple times a year. If they keep up this pace of part replacement users will have a new rifle every couple of years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I am so glad I did not jump in on this cluster fuck of a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking of picking this rifle up in 556, would it be worth it or should I wait a couple more months? I really want it in 300 blk but the website only shows 556 & 308 in complete rifles. I do own a rdb, rfb, and x95. I bought all of them as I waited for this rifle. I just don't want to sink tons of cash into a gun if 2020 brings improvements to it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was thinking of picking this rifle up in 556, would it be worth it or should I wait a couple more months? I really want it in 300 blk but the website only shows 556 & 308 in complete rifles. I do own a rdb, rfb, and x95. I bought all of them as I waited for this rifle. I just don't want to sink tons of cash into a gun if 2020 brings improvements to it.
View Quote
Unless things change, DT has stated they have no plans on releasing a .300BO rifle; they will release a conversion kit, but not a complete rifle.  As for when you buy it vs. future improvements, so far every upgrade/change has been free of charge.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m not even trying to be snarky, but DT took years to get the .308 running “well”, and I’m using that term liberally. Subs and supers both suppressed and unsuppressed seems harder to get running right, and that has been the case with lots of 300blk rifles from manufacturers with a better track record.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Um, maybe read the thread and decide if Delphi Tech is the kind of company you want to invest your money in...
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Um, maybe read the thread and decide if Delphi Tech is the kind of company you want to invest your money in...
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't really care if the company sucks. I really want this gun to work.

A fully ambidextrous bullpup that I can easily switch from left to right handed shooter in a matter of seconds. The forward discharge is awesome for a lefty and having friends be able to shoot in the same set up. Please tell me it is fixed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, it's fixed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:20:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't really care if the company sucks. I really want this gun to work.

A fully ambidextrous bullpup that I can easily switch from left to right handed shooter in a matter of seconds. The forward discharge is awesome for a lefty and having friends be able to shoot in the same set up. Please tell me it is fixed.
View Quote
My .308 works, and I know someone who just purchased and received a 5.56 MDR, so I'll report back on his.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Okay, it's fixed.
View Quote
Sensing some sarcasm
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#18]
My 308 has been working correctly since updated.  My only complaint is the recoil impulse. It's not painful or anything, but the MDR rocks me off target compared to my 18" M1A.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My 308 has been working correctly since updated.  My only complaint is the recoil impulse. It's not painful or anything, but the MDR rocks me off target compared to my 18" M1A.
View Quote
Every video I’ve seen it looks...bucky. Like shooting a shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's mine as it sits now. Jard trigger is a massive improvement. Predictable break, the only mushiness is now in the transfer bar, short overtravel, short reset. I could see it being very fast with the 5.56 version.

It has all the latest parts except the ejection panel spring kit. Still seems like a finicky operating system. I switched from a surefire sps300 to a sico hybrid with a cherry bomb and had to switch from 2-3 on the gas plug because I was getting some short stroke type failures. It seems like it's a solid 1-1.5 moa shooter. Comparable to my cl mws barrel.

Attachment Attached File

As pictured with a full 25rd mag the balance point is right around the grip.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]
What scope? Thermal?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#22]
L3 lwts
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Every video I've seen it looks...bucky. Like shooting a shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every video I've seen it looks...bucky. Like shooting a shotgun.
Yep. I'm a big ole boy and if I'm not leaning into it, ready, it moves me around pretty good.

With a can and prepared, it's manageable.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Every video I’ve seen it looks...bucky. Like shooting a shotgun.
View Quote
Like Kuraki said, not a painful impulse, but the muzzle moves a lot because there's virtually no weight up front; it's better with a suppressor up front or a comp to keep the muzzle down.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
It is inherent to its bolt velocity requirement to cycle the action effectively...a brake/suppressor will tame it...but it is the most uncomfortable .308 semi auto I ever got a chance to fire...

The 5.56 MDR is a totally different animal and its much better...
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I can only assume that because of the port placement and subsequent early extraction with the 308 the port has to be oversized to get enough initial force to break the case loose from the chamber. I haven't shot the 5.56 but that's the only way in my head I can make sense of the recoil impulses supposedly being so different when it's the same operating system.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can only assume that because of the port placement and subsequent early extraction with the 308 the port has to be oversized to get enough initial force to break the case loose from the chamber. I haven't shot the 5.56 but that's the only way in my head I can make sense of the recoil impulses supposedly being so different when it's the same operating system.
View Quote
I think it was said somewhere that it has the shortest piston gas system of any .308 rifle? The system could use more volume, a larger gas plug might have been the easiest solution instead of changing gas port sizes every few months.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Well...the gas length pretty much replicates the SCAR17...the difference is...bolt mass and bolt travel...the MDR is very short in that regard...and the bolt is very light...thus...the gas system has to be overgassed to cycle the rifle with fast bolt velocity...thus creates the snappy .308 feeling...

The MDR has one of the lightest, if not the lightest bolt carrier weight...IIRC the .308 MDR bolt carrier assembly is relatively the same weight as a standard AR15 carrier...

Putting a brake on the MDR tames it...but the snappy action is still there...beating itself...I can't stand shooting the .308 MDR...but the 5.56 MDR is not too shabby...
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well...the gas length pretty much replicates the SCAR17...the difference is...bolt mass and bolt travel...the MDR is very short in that regard...and the bolt is very light...thus...the gas system has to be overgassed to cycle the rifle with fast bolt velocity...thus creates the snappy .308 feeling...

The MDR has one of the lightest, if not the lightest bolt carrier weight...IIRC the .308 MDR bolt carrier assembly is relatively the same weight as a standard AR15 carrier...

Putting a brake on the MDR tames it...but the snappy action is still there...beating itself...I can't stand shooting the .308 MDR...but the 5.56 MDR is not too shabby...
View Quote
It's 12-13oz if I remember right. The short time I had the tungsten op rod in added 6-8oz I think and the impulse was slower and smoother. Unfortunately it snapped at the shoulder on the threads which I figured was a good possibility with the brittleness of tungsten. The concept might work if the carrier was threaded 3/8" instead of 5/16". I think Spector762 is on to something good with his rifle length setup.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's mine as it sits now. Jard trigger is a massive improvement. Predictable break, the only mushiness is now in the transfer bar, short overtravel, short reset. I could see it being very fast with the 5.56 version.

It has all the latest parts except the ejection panel spring kit. Still seems like a finicky operating system. I switched from a surefire sps300 to a sico hybrid with a cherry bomb and had to switch from 2-3 on the gas plug because I was getting some short stroke type failures. It seems like it's a solid 1-1.5 moa shooter. Comparable to my cl mws barrel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/92BB9ECC-7E9C-4775-983B-B98E773EA824_jpeg-1188153.JPG

As pictured with a full 25rd mag the balance point is right around the grip.
View Quote
Damn that is one sexy set up
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I haven't seen Spector762's setup yet...extending the gas system IS the solution...not this over gassed bandaid fix that DT did....look at the T7...it has an intermediate gas system....
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I haven't seen Spector762's setup yet...extending the gas system IS the solution...not this over gassed bandaid fix that DT did....look at the T7...it has an intermediate gas system....
View Quote
Advantage Delphi Tech!  What other rifle system requires allows the user to re-engineer it???
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I remember right he took a 18" rifle length gas bsf barrel for a ar-10 and the barrel extension threads are the same as the mdr. Had es tactical put a mdr extension on it then he made his own extended op rod, gas block and maybe plug. I believe he's posted about it on this thread. I believe he also has 220gr subsonic working from the factory barrel after opening some of the ports in the factory plug.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I remember right he took a 18" rifle length gas bsf barrel for a ar-10 and the barrel extension threads are the same as the mdr. Had es tactical put a mdr extension on it then he made his own extended op rod, gas block and maybe plug. I believe he's posted about it on this thread. I believe he also has 220gr subsonic working from the factory barrel after opening some of the ports in the factory plug.
View Quote
Way too much $$$ and time for me...shelling out $2500 then to turn around and spend another cool several hundred dollars....is not cool....however...freaking hats off to him and DT probably should hire him and re-engineer the MDR...I bet its already in the works though....

MDR 2.0....

I am still banking on DT releasing an 18" variant with an extended gas system...
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#35]
You can go back in this thread but I think I started calling for that around October 2017
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]
If only I could put that Ambi Forward extraction on other bull pups
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If only I could put that Ambi Forward extraction on other bull pups
View Quote
Yeah, like on a FS2000 or something.......
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Or a rfb....

That system actually worked pretty well from my experience.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Or a rfb....

View Quote
Is that the downwards ejection, seems like a smart concept.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is that the downwards ejection, seems like a smart concept.
View Quote
RFB is forward, RDB is downward, iirc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You can go back in this thread but I think I started calling for that around October 2017
View Quote
Yup...I called that right after DT released the .308 MDR...they will bank off it and offer it at $899...

I'd take a RFB over a MDR.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, like on a FS2000 or something.......
View Quote
Quoted:
Or a rfb....

View Quote
Came here to post both - I've been saying "RFB!" since the beginning
Originally Posted: 11/1/2016 9:24:08 PM MST  By rsolomon:
Come over to the "dark side" - the RFB is a very nice bullpup IMO.... and you can mostly likely be shooting one this weekend or next.  Not to mention the bugs are worked out of them already....
View Quote
It seems to the me that the RFB delivers more of what the MDR promised than the MDR does...I guess not caliber-conversion, but when you can buy an RFB + an RDB for less than an MDR, maybe that's a counter-argument  Folks who got in on the Kel-Tec Black Friday sales will be sitting pretty!
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Operator error double-tap
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#44]
RFB is a winner.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't even remember how many years ago I called there being an MDR Gen 2, but I guess I *DID* get the name of it wrong
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope they don't screw over first gen owners with a stupidly expensive means of updating theirs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Frankly, I'm amazed how insulting this is to every single MDR owner.

Desert Tech New Products for 2020 | Desert Tech

For shame, DT. For shame.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Can't recall another product where the eXtreme!! edition is simply one that works. Probably. Maybe. And eliminates key features.

'Introducing Yugo eXtreme! Now drives! Plastic of arm resting device much eXtreme for most comfort! Most brave and smart customer say nyet! to fuel injection of poor and untrustworthy morals, choose carburetor of strong character!'
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#50]
@CowboyWubWub seems like it's time for a new title!

"2020 Hindsight, Shoulda Waited for the MDR Gen2, errr, MDRX"
"2020 - New Year, Same Gun - Almost"
"2020 DT Promises to Announce and Ship in the Same Decade"
"New Decade, Same Promises"
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top