Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:49:23 AM EDT
What gen stg are they selling?

ETA: Can MSAR modify the Any gen to Accept AR mags? Id like to have the FA if possible.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Many claim they have received 4th gen.  I called and asked and they told me 3rd with forward assist.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ETA: Can MSAR modify the Any gen to Accept AR mags? Id like to have the FA if possible.

Only 4th gen non-FA models are compatible with the E4 stock, but by switching to the E4 stock you'd lose the FA anways...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FA only available on gen 1-2.  AR mags only available on E4.

ETA- I stand corrected on gen 3s having forward assist.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Buds sells MSAR E4s, they finally fixed their webpage to show them. All the models that start with 250xxx are E4s. Buying a regular STG from them is a roll of the dice as to what gen you'll get. Their E4s are also older stock with the 5 XM30 mags that don't work. The good news is they have optics models and the barrels are threaded 1/2x28, the bad is they are expensive and slow as hell to ship.

STG gen 1 & 2 have FA, gen 3 doesn't and gen 4 gets the square lock that's directly compatable with the E4 stock. Of course the E4 takes AR pattern mags. You pretty much have to send in a gen 1-3 to MSAR to be converted and then your STG stock doesn't work anymore.

If you're thinking of getting a STG cheap and adding an E4 stock for a cheap E4, it ain't going to work. The E4 conversion is ~$450. It's better to just buy a E4 from Ratworx. If you want both types, again Ratworx is best because their STGs are 4th gen and they can get you a E4 stock too. The E4 will probably also have the new steel mag catch, come with P-mags but will be 13x1 LH threaded and no optic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buds sells MSAR E4s, they finally fixed their webpage to show them. All the models that start with 250xxx are E4s. Buying a regular STG from them is a roll of the dice as to what gen you'll get. Their E4s are also older stock with the 5 XM30 mags that don't work. The good news is they have optics models and the barrels are threaded 1/2x28, the bad is they are expensive and slow as hell to ship.

STG gen 1 & 2 have FA, gen 3 doesn't and gen 4 gets the square lock that's directly compatable with the E4 stock. Of course the E4 takes AR pattern mags. You pretty much have to send in a gen 1-3 to MSAR to be converted and then your STG stock doesn't work anymore.

If you're thinking of getting a STG cheap and adding an E4 stock for a cheap E4, it ain't going to work. The E4 conversion is ~$450. It's better to just buy a E4 from Ratworx. If you want both types, again Ratworx is best because their STGs are 4th gen and they can get you a E4 stock too. The E4 will probably also have the new steel mag catch, come with P-mags but will be 13x1 LH threaded and no optic.

It's a good thing I didn't know that, since that's exactly what I did.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The F/A on the STG's never really worked well.  They don't have the leverage that the AR's F/A has.  You don't need a F/A anyway.  Bad idea jamming a stuck round further into the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only 4th gen non-FA models are compatible with the E4 stock, but by switching to the E4 stock you'd lose the FA anways...

I have a Gen I with FA and it was converted to E4 stock
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Per my post on your question over at USAAUG.com  reposting for anyone wondering over here if there is a solution)

My STG from buds (20" green STG with optic) was a 4th gen square lock gun, just got it from them a few weeks ago.

Forward assists were only on the very early 'round lock' stocks, even some of the later round lock stocks do not have them.

The current AR stocks do not have a forward assist.

Now all of that being said my tan first generation gun sometimes wears an E4 stock. How did I do it??? I just got a spare round lock piece (Dave sent me one when I asked nicely) and replaced the square lock piece in the E4 stock with the round lock piece. At least for me it worked fine. So yeah, it is possible to do what you want to do.

If you go that route I would ask Paul at MSAR if you can get a round lock piece.

[ETA] Another option is to get an E4 gun, geta used first or second gen stock and install a square lock piece. At the time I was trying to find a way to use the E4 stock on my round lock gun, Dave said I could simply file the first gen stock in the lock area to square it off so I could install a square lock piece in the former round lock first gen stock. IIRC he said this is actually what they did to a few stocks when testing switching over the lock piece, and that it only took 10 minutes to do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
[/quote]I have a Gen I with FA and it was converted to E4 stock[/quote]

This is what I would like to do preferably with a Gen 3. How did you do it? How much did it cost? How does the FA work?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a Gen I with FA and it was converted to E4 stock[/quote]

This is what I would like to do preferably with a Gen 3. How did you do it? How much did it cost? How does the FA work?

[/quote]

The forward assist is part of the stock.  Once you convert away from the older stock you lose the f/a.  Converting an older generation rifle to accept the E4 stock means milling out part of the locking area of the receiver.  Once this is done it is not backwards compatible with the old stock.

The F/A doesn't work too well anyway, and even if it did you should never use it.  Why force a stuck round further into the chamber?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Gen I with FA and it was converted to E4 stock[/quote]

[/quote]

There is no way to have a forward assist on the actual E4 stock.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a 20" Green with optic STG556 from Bud's several months ago. Definitely Gen 4. Serial number is 600-P0088xx. And they shipped very fast.

The rifle works perfectly. Even the optic.

I like AUG mags so I haven't worried about getting an E4 stock. I only see one reason that I would change my mind. If somehow the fabled 6.8 SPC conversion actually started to be sold, then I would need an E4 stock. In order to use the 6.8 mags that AR's use today. But since that conversion is still just a faint rumor..... I haven't worried much about it!

Gregg
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The F/A on the STG's never really worked well.  They don't have the leverage that the AR's F/A has.  You don't need a F/A anyway.  Bad idea jamming a stuck round further into the chamber.

I've been saying that for years.  Why would you pummel a round in that doesn't want to seat?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The only time I have ever used my forward assist on my AR was to pound a round into a squib.  Fortunately it didn't work and I didn't blow up my gun.  I'll never touch it again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I got one from Buds about two months ago and it was a Gen 4.  They were also selling the E4.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Everybody needs to stop ruining perfectly good STGs!!! If you want an E4 just buy an E4 and be miserable happy with it.

I was told gen 3 by buds but got a gen 4....and no "pmag" will ever get near it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't comment on the whole "what STG will buds send me" stuff, but I can comment on buying a firearm from them. Having bought a pistol from them I didn't have any issues and I was very happy with their price. Their customer service on the other hand was a little lacking. When I bought it I did have a couple of questions and I could never get a person on the phone to talk to about them. It wasn't until after emailing them a couple of times I got a response. YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Its been the same waywith me and Iv bought there twice. I emailed them and asked but no reply et.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top