Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 11:04:52 PM EDT
Bought some 44 cal  240gr flat point bullets from Berrys.  These are copper plated.   I have the latest edition of Richard Lee Modern Reloading manual.   It only list two powders for my particular bullet.   Accur #9 and #7.   I'm using Titegroup.    There are many different loadings with a 240gr jacketed bullet including using TG 9-10gr.  

Can you use the jacketed bullet loads on a copper plated bullet?  I don't know enough of the differences between the two types of bullets if there is a lot.  I have used 8gr of TG on a 240gr lead round.  I would think that would be ok for the copper plated.  But I just started loading 44 so I ask those who have more experience.   I'm also using Magnum primers btw.   TIA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Speer reloading manual. the bullets it lists are Speer. I have used that data for years for .44 and .357. Weight matches are important. Jacketed bullets have copper jackets. Have used Hornady, Barnes, and a bunch of Midway factory seconds when on sale. Referred to the old Speer for data. I don't do maximum loads on anything. Also have a recent Lee manual, I make comparisons to both manuals and determine the best load, (usually the one that uses the least  amount of powder). Out of curiosity I dropped a #1 buckshot in to a .38 shotshell. Three fit perfectly. Placed on the scale and loaded to a similar bullet load. Had a blast at the range. There is a huge amount of load data on the web. I have dropped off into rabbit holes reading manufacturer's recommendations. Shoot Safe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:56:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HomeAtLast] [#2]
You should follow data listed for cast lead bullets. Do your bullets have a crimp groove?

Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]

You don't need magnum primers to lite titgroup

Use cast lead bullet data for plated bullets

Titgroup is a really fast burning powder, great for mild bullseye type loads in 38, 45ACP, etc.

for 44 mag, I'd recommend a medium burn rate powder like unique, universal, power pistol, etc.

and get some hardcast and coated bullets with a nice crimp groove

. . . and for true magnum loads, try H110/win296 with a firm roll crimp and magnum primer

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]
From Hodgdon's site:

As said above, refer to lead data for plated bullets but both peak @ 10 grains so you can't really mess up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is what Berry's says....
https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

Where can I find load data for your bullets?
Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI do not use the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die.  It will swage the bullets other than a Jacketed bullet smaller.  That action can potentiate the plating or coating being stripped or promote leading of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rn22723:
FYI do not use the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die.  It will swage the bullets other than a Jacketed bullet smaller.  That action can potentiate the plating or coating being stripped or promote leading of the barrel.
View Quote
Too late that is what I use.   I used it on the 240gr lead rounds I loaded and they seemed to be ok.    Guess I will find out with these when I hit the range.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

You don't need magnum primers to lite titgroup

Use cast lead bullet data for plated bullets

Titgroup is a really fast burning powder, great for mild bullseye type loads in 38, 45ACP, etc.

for 44 mag, I'd recommend a medium burn rate powder like unique, universal, power pistol, etc.

and get some hardcast and coated bullets with a nice crimp groove

. . . and for true magnum loads, try H110/win296 with a firm roll crimp and magnum primer

View Quote
Magnum was all I could find.  Looked online plus these were available local to me from Outdoor Limited.  So no hazmat fee to pay.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
From Hodgdon's site:

https://i.imgur.com/xM5rqXV.png

As said above, refer to lead data for plated bullets but both peak @ 10 grains so you can't really mess up.
View Quote
I just used 8 grains like I did with the 240 lead rounds.  We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
View Quote

My Lee FCD was swaging my hitek coated 147g bullets when they were loaded into CBC brass.
I do my best to cull CBC now but also stopped using the FCD and got a couple regular taper crimp dies.
No issues now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
It does not really matter that much what type of data you use. What matters the most is the seating depth, and I don't mean the OAL, I mean how much bullet is inside of the case. For that reason a 240gr hollow point is generally going to have a deeper seating depth than a 240gr soft point, even at the same OAL. I'm assuming you aren't going to be loading these strong, so it's not a huge issue either way. You can use data for a 240gr soft point or similar, or a 240gr cast bullet, either way is fine as long as you understand your seating depth.

Titegroup is a perfectly acceptable powder for lower power loads in 44 magnum.

Just to clear up any confusion, Lee sells two types of crimp dies for 44 magnum, actually it's technically 3. The seating die can also crimp. They sell a collet crimp die, which works phenomenal with any bullet. Many of their 4 die sets come with a carbide crimp die. The only thing unique about this die is it has a carbide sizing ring in the bottom. If the die is in spec, it will not touch the case with a .429" bullet. It shouldn't touch the case with a .430" bullet either. It's only if you are loading a .431" or bigger bullet that the carbide die becomes an issue. Berrys 44 caliber bullets are .429", so this is not an issue. If you ever run into that issue in the future with larger bullets, it's really easy to fix. Get a 7/8" nut, thread your die in it, lock it in a bench vice, find a punch that is just barely bigger than the ID of the carbide ring, then knock it out from the top. They come out pretty easy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
You are fine using magnum primers. You don't "need" them for titegroup, but it won't hurt. It can raise pressure somewhat, but as long as you aren't pushing them really hard, you will be fine. The Hodgdon data isn't particularly strong, so you will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LS1Auto:
I just used 8 grains like I did with the 240 lead rounds.  We'll see how it goes.
View Quote

You will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I've loaded and shot and shoot plenty of Berrys plated 240gr flat points

I use unique and started low using cast data and worked up to 10gr, a nice manageable load. I only use magnum primers with H110 loads.

Never had a problem with the Berrys plated. It's a good plinking round.
Top Top