BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

I have seen similar KABOOMS at 2 different USPSA matches.

Both times, it was the same R.O., both times, he asked "Dillon 550 ?"

Both times the shooter said "yes"

View Quote

Thanks again to OP.  This was a good thread.  While I've always had a personal bias for autoindexing - this post right here has to be the most powerful one in the whole thread.  Not saying it can't safely be done - but wow.

I will say for rifle - or really any situation where a double means an inescapable volume of dumped powder, then less critical.  But for pistol chunk chunk chunk...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to comment on my observation of the video. Everything else has been mentioned.

When firing rounds 1 through 7, I believe I see muzzle flash, #5 is iffy due to the speed of 4,5,6.

I don't see any flash for round 8, and kaboom at round 9.

Back to the barrel obstruction comment earlier? I don't know.

Maybe replay in slow motion? Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Muzzle flash is inconsistent, especially on video.  If there is a bang and the gun cycled, the bullet is 100% out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 550 too with two lights hovering over it. I use win. 231 and it’s easy to spot a double charge. Glad you weren’t injured.

That was a fast way to disassemble for cleaning!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

Some of the things I love about the XL650 / 750 is that is auto-indexes the case to the nest station, and you have an extra station for the power check buzzer

too much, or too little powder will sound the alarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbrTVEI0Cs
View Quote
+1.   Been loading 3.7 Gr of TG for 9mm 147Gr for over 15 yrs and knock on wood never had a double charge.  I have had cases where the powder check die saved me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually pretty impressed with how the gun handled that.  I have been looking at PSA pistols lately, might pull the trigger on one yet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Actually pretty impressed with how the gun handled that.  I have been looking at PSA pistols lately, might pull the trigger on one yet.
View Quote

Kind of my thought.  Failure mode isn't about minimizing damage, it's about minimizing harm.  So while it looks spectacular, the barrel failed in a manner that resulting in no harm to the shooter.  I can't say for sure, but it almost looks like they went for a "soft" alloy in the barrel, as part of that.  Recall: "hard" is another word for brittle, and if that barrel was harder, that failure world have been frag of flying metal.  Vs holding together but peeling.  That may be just an aspect of other manufacturing decisions, but I think OP will agree, that gun failing like a hand grenade with frag, wouldn't have been good.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I won’t hesitate to buy another one. That’s part of the pain, the Micro Dagger was basically brand new. It was my second trip to the range with it. I normally carry a G19, the micro dagger with the 15 round magazine is a game changer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#10]
Originally Posted By Milhouse:

I won’t hesitate to buy another one. That’s part of the pain, the Micro Dagger was basically brand new. It was my second trip to the range with it. I normally carry a G19, the micro dagger with the 15 round magazine is a game changer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Milhouse:

For perspective - the entire gun is cheaper than your co-pay to the Urgent Care center.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
No offence taken, but you are in the wrong forum posting your viewpoint.

This is the Reloading Forum, we reload here.
View Quote

Valid point.  I thought it was the KABOOM forum.  It seems we're both right.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Why do you hang out in the kaboom forum if you don't allow kaboom rounds in your gun?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:  Why do you hang out in the kaboom forum if you don't allow kaboom rounds in your gun?
View Quote

Maybe he's a .300 Blackout/5.56 kinda guy?

Or maybe he just clicks on interesting titles in Active Topics, like I do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#14]
1- Answers one question regarding wet vs dry cleaning. It is a lot easier to see inside brass that is clean metal vs black soot.

That requires reloading in 2 stages and is my SOP now for rifle and pistol. For pistol I size and decap on one pass, wet clean brass then dry, finally load it after sorting by headstamp. Resolves brass-related issues which cause most hang-ups, minimizing the chance of a screw-up when dumping powder and seating bullets.

2- Auto indexing does help prevent double charges but....

3- I still remove all brass from all stations after clearing a problem. I throw removed brass into a cigar box, then process them separately after completing the remainder of the batch. And I use Dillon powder check dies on the 1050s.

Glad to see you weren't hurt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ronnie_B:
1- Answers one question regarding wet vs dry cleaning. It is a lot easier to see inside brass that is clean metal vs black soot.

That requires reloading in 2 stages and is my SOP now for rifle and pistol. For pistol I size and decap on one pass, wet clean brass then dry, finally load it after sorting by headstamp. Resolves brass-related issues which cause most hang-ups, minimizing the chance of a screw-up when dumping powder and seating bullets.

2- Auto indexing does help prevent double charges but....

3- I still remove all brass from all stations after clearing a problem. I throw removed brass into a cigar box, then process them separately after completing the remainder of the batch. And I use Dillon powder check dies on the 1050s.

Glad to see you weren't hurt.
View Quote

I agree.  Especially thr first point.  Though I just wet tumble pistol brass raw and call it done.  This is where media makes a big difference- because that scours the inside to sunglasses-required bright BLING level - for exactly this benefit.

Makes it a lot easier to spot  the *very* rare Squib-inbound, as it rotates around to the seating station and brightly says Hello!

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ScottS:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScottS:
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
No offence taken, but you are in the wrong forum posting your viewpoint.

This is the Reloading Forum, we reload here.

You don't belong here.

OP, thank you for sharing this.  Best pic of this kind of incident I think I've ever seen. I like the way you've handled it.

4.2gr TG w/ 124gr bullets is my go-to for 9mm.  That under 124gr V-Crowns is what's in my sidearm as we speak.

Been using it for years, like it alot, for .40 as well.

Lot of great advice in this thread.  Yeah, I too have a light that shines down on the press, and look in every case.  Turret press here, it auto-indexes obviously.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Even on my Dillon XL-650, I use a digital powder scale/dispenser for each charge, and I only drop the powder if everything is ready to go to the next stage.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:
Get the light from Inline Fab, it may help, I have it on my 550s and are fantastic. Also, consider working with a slower powder that will fill your cases.
I'm sure you know this but, If you ever leave your press for any reason leave it with the handle in the down position.
View Quote

This is a good idea. I like to use powders that will overflow the case if there's a double charge, makes it hard to ignore when it happens.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top