Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
16lbs of N140 cost me better part of $640 this month.

I'm recently retired and reloading keeps me from drinking and eating, plus keeps me on my feet.

I just have to cut other parts of my budget.

Luckily house and vehicles are paid off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By latama666:
16lbs of N140 cost me better part of $640 this month.

I'm recently retired and reloading keeps me from drinking and eating, plus keeps me on my feet.

I just have to cut other parts of my budget.

Luckily house and vehicles are paid off.
View Quote

Lol yeah

It keeps everything else tight but I'm a shooter and making stock for my kids.

I've been trying to fill ammo cans with some more rifle ammo. Only 150 something rounds per pound for rifles make me appreciate 556. Used up all my tac for 308 loads

Just ordered 3 more lbs of tac and 2 of 748 for my m1.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By country_boy87:

Already have stopped.  Out of my budget.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By country_boy87:
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Powders have approached the upper limit of what people are willing to pay for them. Whether the prices increases are due to high cost of materials or the manufacturers are simply trying to see what the market will bear makes no difference. At some point in time, people will stop buying.

Already have stopped.  Out of my budget.

Considering shooting 22 for the foreseeable future
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I've been trying to fill ammo cans with some more rifle ammo.
View Quote

If you are building a long term stash may I suggest you buy an inexpensive vacuum sealer for your reloaded ammo

Ammo, like rice and beans, has a shelf life and reloaded ammo not being sealed will last many time more years if vacuumed sealed

BTW, pointy things tend to defeat vacuum sealed plastic.
I place the ammo in cheap Walmart bought plastic bags then but those in the vacuum bags to vacuum and seal with an oxygen absorber
May I also suggest you label each with all data and date and do so in pencil as ink /markers fade
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:

If you are building a long term stash may I suggest you buy an inexpensive vacuum sealer for your reloaded ammo

Ammo, like rice and beans, has a shelf life and reloaded ammo not being sealed will last many time more years if vacuumed sealed

I place the ammo in cheap Walmart bought plastic bags then but those in the vacuum bags to vacuum and seal with an oxygen absorber
May I also suggest you label each with all data and date and do so in pencil as ink /markers fade
View Quote
Not necessary, ammo will out last you as long as you keep it dry. I have a stash of Greek 30-06 from the 60's that shoots fine. Also people shooting ammo as old as the 1920's without issue.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DrJekell:
Not necessary, ammo will out last you as long as you keep it dry. I have a stash of Greek 30-06 from the 60's that shoots fine. Also people shooting ammo as old as the 1920's without issue.
View Quote

The ammo refer to has been sealed around the projectile and primer hence my point of vacuum sealing. You are correct if you also seal the bullet and primer

For me it is easier for long term to vacuum seal small quantities than the lengthy process of sealing each bullet. The primer is easy enough but without sealing the bullet the primer sealing is not enough
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I've shot WWI surplus .45 Auto and .30-06. This was a decade ago, but century old ammo went bang just fine.

I grew up learning to reload on government surplus IMR powder from the Korean war era.

Powder and primer chemistries have only gotten more stable and durable. I can't see ammo having a shelf life as long as it's stored properly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Some samples of wholesale bulk powder pricing for manufacturers was posted in the TEAMS thread. Very interesting.

Varies for each one, and it depends on how much you purchase.  They only sell to manufacturers, no resale allowed.  Looks like there is 8# price, 40# price (mix and match powders), and 500# price (mix and match powders).  Rounded off to the closest $5, per 8lb keg:
                 8#    40#  500#
A2520       $275-250-230
W748        $295-265-250
H335         $290-260-245
Varget       $350-315-305
IMR 4831  $405-370-360

So if they are buying 500 lbs at a time, the best pricing on 2520 is about $29/lb, 748 is about $31/lb, 335 is about $31/lb, Varget is around $38/lb, and 4831 is around $45/lb.

I don’t know how that compares to prior pricing, but it does not seem cheap to me.  Shipping is included though.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:

I've shot WWI surplus .45 Auto and .30-06. This was a decade ago, but century old ammo went bang just fine.

I grew up learning to reload on government surplus IMR powder from the Korean war era.

Powder and primer chemistries have only gotten more stable and durable. I can't see ammo having a shelf life as long as it's stored properly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:

I agree. Plus in metal ammo cans the air expands when it's warm and forces air out creating a vacuum.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Today's prices for powder and primers, now that some normality and in-store inventory has evolved, are never going down. My advice is to get it now while the getting's good...
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#11]

View All Quotes
I've been trying to fill ammo cans with some more rifle ammo.

I don't think that's actually true - but it might be, I haven't actually seen a test to prove that it's wrong.  I know one guy actually got burned here sealing his primers bulk, which allowed the acidic components of the cheap-cardstock to stay captured and trash his primers.  But that's not the same as ammo and was kind of a particular failure.    You seem confident though, was there a reference or paper or something you are thinking of for this guidance?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Those worried about ammo storage, just buy some desiccant packs and use ammo cans. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you have to have  lot of moisture and heat to really mess up ammo long term.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I don't think that's actually true - but it might be, I haven't actually seen a test to prove that it's wrong.  I know one guy actually got burned here sealing his primers bulk, which allowed the acidic components of the cheap-cardstock to stay captured and trash his primers.  But that's not the same as ammo and was kind of a particular failure.    You seem confident though, was there a reference or paper or something you are thinking of for this guidance?
View Quote

The owner of the largest reloading supply house and bullet maker in Florida suggested it.
I have not done primers and was not aware of cardstock being a problem but do not intend on vacuum sealing primers. The idea is to have "ammo" for any possibility

Vacuum sealing with an oxygen absorber all but eliminates any moister which causes almost everything to break down hence food etc last much longer
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:46:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScrapMetal762] [#15]
Alliant Sport Pistol 8lbs $317.99 plus tax at my local shop……ugh!  In fact, all Alliant was priced the same.  One pound was $56.99.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a neighbor asking $40.00 per pound for A2230. He has 12lbs. Should I jump on this? Never used it. Primarily load .223 and 308.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#17]
AA2230 is very close to H335 in burn rate and in my ARs the same. I have not used it in 308 but books rate it close to H335 as well

Sad that $40/LB is now a good price
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#18]

The owner of the largest reloading supply house and bullet maker in Florida suggested it.
I have not done primers and was not aware of cardstock being a problem but do not intend on vacuum sealing primers. The idea is to have "ammo" for any possibility

Vacuum sealing with an oxygen absorber all but eliminates any moister which causes almost everything to break down hence food etc last much longer
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Plastic vacuum sealing bags are only good for about three months in an oxygen rich environment. Putting a drier in the bags is only going to hasten their failure.

If you want to vacuum seal ammo for decades, find a well sealing metal ammo can, fill it with ammo, put a chunk of dry ice in there with it unlatched, once the can stops off-gassing, latch it. You now have a can with a slight vacuum and full of inert gas.

I'm my opinion, completely unnecessary, but if you're going through the trouble, do it once and then don't worry versus having to redo it every three months.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Any more info on what’s going on and how long it may last?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Local shop here still has TAC for $36/lb, been buying all they get in lately. All others are ~$40+/lb.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Normlizer:
I was just doing some math while loading some 12ga 8shot target loads.  With the current prices on components i don't think its worth it to reload target loads anymore.  Once i run out of components i probably won't reload target loads anymore.
View Quote

Let the wads and shot sit on the shelf . buy factory shotgun loads

Use the powder for pistol caliber reloads (yes , most shotgun powder is just right for pistol) or sell it to pistol reloaders
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#24]
My LGS still has 1lb of Win244 for $30.50.  I bought an 8lb keg several years ago but the restock 8lb is more expensive per lb now than the 1’s on the shelf.  I’ve been buying a couple per week.  244 has been a good “universal” pistol powder for me.

He’s got an 8lb of BLC2 for $285.  Don’t really use it much but I’m thinking of picking it up as it’ll work in 223 and my various 30 cals.  I think it’s good for Garands as well.  Probably as cheap as I’ll find it for a while…..
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Megastorm] [#25]
Ashamed to admit it but I just paid 425.99 for an 8lb jug of Benchmark powder at that place named after the big WWII Naval battle in the Pacific in June 1942.  With hazmat and tax, it was over $483.00.  Unless some miracle happens like PSA opening a powder plant, I can't see how reloading is going to survive this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Megastorm:
Ashamed to admit it but I just paid 425.99 for an 8lb jug of Benchmark powder at that place named after the big WWII Naval battle in the Pacific in June 1942.  With hazmat and tax, it was over $483.00.  Unless some miracle happens like PSA opening a powder plant, I can't see how reloading is going to survive this.
View Quote

The entire gun industry will suffer if we can't afford to shoot factory or handloads.

Unsettling.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

The entire gun industry will suffer if we can't afford to shoot factory or handloads.

Unsettling.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
Originally Posted By Megastorm:
....I can't see how reloading is going to survive this.

Unsettling.

Intentional.  Attack is on all fronts.  Why does the IRS need millions of rounds?  HS?  HHS? PO??????  The onslaught of anti gun bills in every municipality, state, US??
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys chatting about vacuum sealing, keep in mind that I have yet to see anyone discuss (or know anything about) the long term effects of pulling a vacuum on either powder or primer compound.  

If the projectile and primer are sealed- well then you don’t beed vacuum packing.  If not sealed, how do we know what effect, if any a vacuum might have?  My concern would be volatile compounds leaving the powder at a faster rate than just the normal rate it can deteriorate.  

Probably over thinking things, but I also bet it could be a measurable thing, depending on the powder.

So I don’t vacuum seal.  For long term storage I just polish the ammo, wear gloves when handling it after that point, then dump it into an ammo can lined with VCI (anti corrosion) paper and with a desiccant pack.  Or I put it into quart sized freezer ziplock bags, with VCI paper inside it, and then put those sealed bags into the ammo can.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Cardstock/boxes that touch the ammo is also where it tends to corrode (if it does at all) on long stored ammo that we end up buying as surplus.  Has been seen with stuff from many different countries and manufacturers over the years with various batches of surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
Some samples of wholesale bulk powder pricing for manufacturers was posted in the TEAMS thread. Very interesting.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

Varies for each one, and it depends on how much you purchase.  They only sell to manufacturers, no resale allowed.  Looks like there is 8# price, 40# price (mix and match powders), and 500# price (mix and match powders).  Rounded off to the closest $5, per 8lb keg:
                 8#    40#  500#
A2520       $275-250-230
W748        $295-265-250
H335         $290-260-245
Varget       $350-315-305
IMR 4831  $405-370-360

So if they are buying 500 lbs at a time, the best pricing on 2520 is about $29/lb, 748 is about $31/lb, 335 is about $31/lb, Varget is around $38/lb, and 4831 is around $45/lb.

I don’t know how that compares to prior pricing, but it does not seem cheap to me.  Shipping is included though.

If someone wants to know about something specific I can look it up.  I don’t see anything showing that the pricing schedule is “secret” or anything, they just won’t sell without a copy of your ammo manufacturing FFL in hand…

Am mulling over an offer to do some commercial loading with an automated loader machine, which is why the whole conversation started, but the pricing for powder and new casings is pretty dang high.  Projectiles are a lot more reasonable.  Primers are kind of high but less ridiculous than powder and new brass.  I would need to lock down a consistent once fired brass supplier if I was going to commit to trying it out.  I don’t see that buying all new components would be cheaper than just buying loaded ammo to be honest, so it would have to be used casings.

Can’t do a group buy on anything either, as they will shut down your purchasing ability if they find you have bought for resale versus commercial loading needs.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Cardstock/boxes that touch the ammo is also where it tends to corrode (if it does at all) on long stored ammo that we end up buying as surplus.  Has been seen with stuff from many different countries and manufacturers over the years with various batches of surplus ammo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:

Would be better to blanket with inert gas like nitrogen or argon, or use desiccant and oxygen absorbing packs to create the same conditions.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I've got enough powder for about 6000 loads, but only 2000 primers...

Thank for making me do the math and find what I really need
View Quote

I've got a 4 gallon bucket of 308 brass that I want to load up.

Once I'm done with that I'll officially be out of brass from when I worked at a range and just load what I shoot
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#35]

The IRS is not the reason there are shortages. Lots of militaries all over the world are realizing they need to build up inventory of explody things. That puts a significant strain on civilian availability.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RWEIII:

Intentional.  Attack is on all fronts.  Why does the IRS need millions of rounds?  HS?  HHS? PO??????  The onslaught of anti gun bills in every municipality, state, US??

The IRS is not the reason there are shortages. Lots of militaries all over the world are realizing they need to build up inventory of explody things. That puts a significant strain on civilian availability.

I did the math on the IRS thing. It ended up being about 1000 round per armed employee over the course of the 5 year contract those millions of rounds were to cover.
$2.3 million on ammunition, $1.2 million on ballistic shields, $474,000 on Smith & Wesson rifles, $463,000 on Beretta 1301 tactical shotguns and $243,000 on body armor vests
If there are over 2100 armed IRS agents, well $937k on shotguns and  rifles is $446 per agent. So likely, they didn't buy new gear for everyone, it was just replacing old stuff.

Back on topic:
I went to Cabelas and was mildly shocked at prices of powder. Hodgdon H4350 was at $65/lb. Varget is at $65. I think one on the shelf was $70 for a pound.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:

Back on topic:
I went to Cabelas and was mildly shocked at prices of powder. Hodgdon H4350 was at $65/lb. Varget is at $65. I think one on the shelf was $70 for a pound.
View Quote

I have never really found any of the 'best' prices on reloading gear / supplies at any local stores. They have a lot of overhead (expenses) they have to pay for in those brick and mortar stores that many online places simply do not have.

Online orders that max out the hazmat ticket are the only way to go in my opinion.

Last firearm I bought at a local SW - The one employee asked me if I needed any ammo as well as we were going to the register to settle up. I told the guy that I felt bad about buying any ammo from them because they had so little and I already had a LOT more than they did in their entire store. The employee laughed it off and 'thought' I was joking. (I was not)

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Once I'm done with that I'll officially be out of brass from when I worked at a range and just load what I shoot
View Quote

A 4 gallon bucket is a good bit of brass. At least 3 or 4 BIG ammo cans full of loaded rounds worth???

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

I have never really found any of the 'best' prices on reloading gear / supplies at any local stores. They have a lot of overhead (expenses) they have to pay for in those brick and mortar stores that many online places simply do not have.

Online orders that max out the hazmat ticket are the only way to go in my opinion.

Last firearm I bought at a local SW - The one employee asked me if I needed any ammo as well as we were going to the register to settle up. I told the guy that I felt bad about buying any ammo from them because they had so little and I already had a LOT more than they did in their entire store. The employee laughed it off and 'thought' I was joking. (I was not)

View All Quotes

Back on topic:

It made sense before COVID. I habitually stopped by Cabelas after work on fridays for a couple years during the Trump Salad Days and bought a brick of primers and 1 lb of (usually pistol) powder. Dollar Cost Averaging. Yes, at the time I was paying probably a 25% premium over bulk ordering, but it was an easy way to accumulate a nice stash. All of my rifle powder was bulk ordered.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Like I mentioned on the last page: That's in the territory where people will stop buying. I was at Bass Pro and saw those same bottles of H4350 - they had a decent amount of them. Like others, I passed - that's just too rich. The ball's in the court of the buyers to see if they will keep buying or say enough is enough.
View All Quotes

SNIP
Back on topic:

Like I mentioned on the last page: That's in the territory where people will stop buying. I was at Bass Pro and saw those same bottles of H4350 - they had a decent amount of them. Like others, I passed - that's just too rich. The ball's in the court of the buyers to see if they will keep buying or say enough is enough.

My local Cabelas has powder in the $50-60/lb range and the stuff is still selling. The area is pretty affluent though (Lone Tree, CO store), not sure that would fly in the more rural parts of America.

I'm not buying powder at that price point. I will trade existing stock for stuff I want though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

SNIP
Back on topic:

Governments are calling in their priorities on explosive and ordnance manufacturers for ammunition, pyrotechnics, and components. All the base components and precursors are manufactured or imported at the government's indulgence. The plant I work at still has a multi-year backlog from the GWOT, now with WW3 in the offing, shrug.

It's not going to get any cheaper for a decade at least, even barring inflation.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#42]
It’s a good thing we shuttered all the old WW2 ammo plants and explosives factories that were government owned and turned them in to superfund sites overgrown with trees and the buildings falling in.  

Many of those were making powder for munitions right in to the late 70’s before we started buying foreign products.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#43]

A 4 gallon bucket is a good bit of brass. At least 3 or 4 BIG ammo cans full of loaded rounds worth???

View All Quotes

Yeah, I'm thinking 1-2k rounds. It'll be nice to finally be done. I finally finished the last of my 556. I had 2 full 4 gallon buckets.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Most rifle powders have jumped from mid $50's to $75 and up per lb locally. First lb of RL15 seen in ages was $78.

I wisely bought a bunch of W748 dirt cheap just before the craziness that will keep me for awhile shooting High Power.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#45]
Originally Posted By tangeant:
Most rifle powders have jumped from mid $50's to $75 and up per lb locally. First lb of RL15 seen in ages was $78.

I wisely bought a bunch of W748 dirt cheap just before the craziness that will keep me for awhile shooting High Power.
View Quote

At least online I just added a few to my last order at $40/pound for 748
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#46]
My LGS still has plenty of powder in stock and the pistol powders, specifically Ramshot powders. True Blue and Silhouette are still $35 and $39 lb respectively. Grabbed another 2lbs of TB and 1 of Silhouette.

Unfortunately no TAC in stock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Got lucky this AM. Local seller was getting out of high recoil reloading due to injury and age. He was happy I bought as much without having to drive all over the place. He had a few more items that I couldn't use

Flattened the wallet though

Warning: Don't read below if you don't wanna curse out the high retail prices

Winchester large pistol WLP 50$/ 1000. 5 to sell
$250

3x8 lb Hodgen H335 250$ each
$750

4x 1 lb TAC 35$ each
$140

1x8 lb Autocomp 250$
$250

WSP 5k $50 per 1K
$250

Total = $1640

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

That's the point I'm at now. I could use some more Power Pistol powder, but I'm not interested in buying any at the current prices. I'll just switch back to shooting factory ammo as it's currently cheaper than I can reload it. I've had no problem getting factory FMJ under 21cpr recently. Assuming free brass, I still can't reload decent quality 9mm for less than I can currently buy it. I know, I can buy some junky mixed pulls from American Reloading that'll shoot like crap, those Servicios Aventuras primers that have a high failure rate in striker fired guns, and Midwest powder that comes with little to no load data, etc. Then I could come in a few cents cheaper than factory ammo, but I'd be stuck shooting unreliable ammo that isn't nearly as good as even the cheap factory stuff. I see guys touting that stuff on a regular basis these days because of the cost, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I'll continue to load my precision and hunting centerfire ammo, but I probably won't be loading much else. The fact that the local stores are all fully stocked every time I go in there make me think I'm not the only one.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I got an email alert from PV on a sale for Bullseye.

Only $50.00 a pound. Plus hazmat, shipping and tax. So, order 5 $250.00, $30 haz/ship, tax $20 so $60.00/LB delivered and that is a sale price
Sorry suckers you missed that deal and will have to pay more

Did I mention this is effing Bullseye, the semi-smokeless Bullseye.

I am not knocking PV I have ordered hundreds of pounds of powder and hundreds of thousands of primers from them and they are a great source with great CS but just saying: Bullsfriggin-eye
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top