Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
One option is to catch American Reloading when they have powder in stock.

Prices are still reasonable, mainly because it's surplus powder and requires load validation before use.

I paid $190 shipped for an 8 lb jug MP515, which is "similar to" WIN748.

That's worth the time it takes for load workup, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
It's ALWAYS supply and demand. Look at the threads in this forum where we're clamoring to find supplies - that sounds like high demand to me. People also forget that there is a huge demand for commercial ammunition due to all the new shooters that have come onboard since Covid; there's just not a lot left over after meeting ammo demands, and no one has really built any extra capacity.
View Quote

I personally think that Hodgon/Ramshot/IMR/Winchester/Accurate and Alliant are trying to see what the market will bear.  They’ve had massive price increases, while VV has increased very little.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Powder drop today at American. Midwest powders still 190 shipped for 8#.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
In the past I would never pay the extra $10-$15 for it, but I have decided to try it. Times change and their prices stayed almost the same.

Spent the morning educating myself on their website and learning the powders (numbers) that would be of use to me.
View Quote

Likewise.  I picked up an 8 pounder of N160 to see if it compares favorably to H4350.   I should have bought some N110 for the M1 carbine and the .22 Hornet as well.  I want some N140 to try in the .308 and 30-06.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]

I just looked and everything was out of stock for me.
View Quote
It was all in stock when I clicked. I just don't need to spend the money. The reloading discord notification for them went out about 3 minutes after I got the email. That likely caused a frenzy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911user] [#8]
It went very quickly.  Like all powder gone in 20 minutes after the email went out.  
It's a feeding frenzy and the powder price increases have made it worse this year.  Last year, recovered powder would generally stay in stock for a few hours.  
Hopefully 3 jugs of rifle powder are coming my way.  I have a screencap of the order#, but no email confirmation yet.  The order was placed 14 minutes after the email alert.  
One jug of pistol powder from an AR order 2 weeks ago should arrive tomorrow.  

If you want powder and some projectiles from AR, you almost have to be on their email list and act very quickly.  Even normal projectiles are selling out fast.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:52:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woddwo] [#9]
I've seen rumors that smokeless powder pricing/availability could get much worse.
It's not just inflation, price gouging, panic buying, etc.

The war in Ukraine has drained powder/component stocks.
Also, global demand for nitrocellulose is rising.
There is growing demand for nitrocellulose for use in things like paints and printing inks.
So there is a global nitrocellulose shortage (?).
Nitrocellulose is now the single most expensive component of powder (?).
The top three exporters of nitrocellulose are Thailand, China, and India.
China controls most of the market for nitrocellulose (?).

It might not just be nitrocellulose though.
There are precursors to smokeless powder which are only produced in Russia and China (?).
(Just repeating rumors I have seen. I don’t know what these are.)

European powder makers are keeping more of their product for national defense, and not selling it to us (that is, not supplying it to Hodgdon?).
There is a global shortage of explosive accredited shipping.

Powder has become more expensive for ammo manufacturers.
In this video (3:50), the ammo maker says his costs for OEM pistol powder just jumped in February from $13/lb to $22. He buys 10,000+ lbs at a time.
And 4 out of the 5 pistol powders he would generally use are out of stock.

Might as well mention the Vista Outdoors letter in early December.
“Due to world events our suppliers have notified us of unprecedented demand for and an anticipated global shortage of gunpowder, and thus has increased our prices substantially.”
The letter mentions a 10% price increase Alliant Powder, with limited availability.
Someone else says Alliant won’t be shipping any new retail product until 2025 (?).

Someone else says generally powder, primers, and loaded ammo will be in short supply until 2026 at least.

These are some rumors I have seen recently.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By The_Fly:

That's what I use for my handgun loads (everything but full power 357 magnum).  I just cleared out Miwall of all their HP-38 and W231.  22lbs should last me 10-15 years.  
View Quote

Does it have a lower flash than w244? I like it because how much better it meters.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#11]
In the past I would never pay the extra $10-$15 for it, but I have decided to try it. Times change and their prices stayed almost the same.

Spent the morning educating myself on their website and learning the powders (numbers) that would be of use to me.
View Quote

VV is about all I buy anymore. It’s available, and only half retarded in price.

Reload for 22cm, 308, 338.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By snakeyes711:

Does it have a lower flash than w244? I like it because how much better it meters.
View Quote

I've never used w244, so hard to compare the flash.  In my experience HP-38 is fairly low flash.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Cabela's seemed to have a pretty large price increase again yesterday. These prices are getting beyond crazy.

What's even wilder is that powder and primers seem to be up 2-300% since the pandemic, but factory ammo handy increased by nearly that amount. We're definitely being gouged.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Did someone force you to buy anything?
View Quote

No, but you don't have to be forced to buy something to meet the definition of price gouging. Are you forced to buy a chainsaw after a storm? Are you forced to buy water? No, you're not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

No, but you don't have to be forced to buy something to meet the definition of price gouging. Are you forced to buy a chainsaw after a storm? Are you forced to buy water? No, you're not.
View Quote

You actually do need water survive.

You don’t need a chainsaw.

Pretty easy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been wanting to try the Shooters World (SW) powders...  Half the price of US powders.

For example: I understand that a very few shooters of unknown skill/knowledge/background have tried SW Blackout and SOCOM for 300BLK.  Some of those say it is great/good success in quiet and accuracy yet others say bad/dirty... But not enough data points from true/actual users of ability to trust...

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OHBuckeyes:

You actually do need water survive.

You don’t need a chainsaw.

Pretty easy.
View Quote

You're not forced to buy it. There are plenty of ways to capture water and make it safe to drink.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, supply and demand. Some retailers might try to squirrel away a few nuts for the winter (Pick up some extra profit) because they see rough times ahead but who knows. Retailers walk a fine line. Prices high enough to stay in business but not so high to run off customers. And as these last few years have taught us no stock means no sales and no way to pay the bills.
It's a tough call but it has to be made.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I looked at basspro prices online, powder went up big time!  
Im going to hold on to what I have, out of my budget.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Couple of sources I use - prices went up and selection went way down recently. Glad I stocked up some last fall when prices were down some.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I can report as of last week, powder at the LGS has stayed exactly at the post-scamdemic levels, not spiked at all.   40-50 bucks per lb.  basically, what it's been for the last 3 years or so.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Just hit up the LGS as well for some 1lb's of True Blue and Silhouette, they both haven't moved in price for a few months. True Blue at $35 and Silhouette at $39. Additionally while not overflowing stock still had a decent amount of powders of most all brands/lines.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GunsandCoffee71:
One option is to catch American Reloading when they have powder in stock.

Prices are still reasonable, mainly because it's surplus powder and requires load validation before use.

I paid $190 shipped for an 8 lb jug MP515, which is "similar to" WIN748.

That's worth the time it takes for load workup, IMO.
View Quote

Those get snatched up quickly. it won't be long before they walk the price up to $250 or something to keep it around longer and keep people from buying 64 lbs of the stuff in one sweep.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh, I'll know prices have got really insane when I start seeing people buying loaded ammunition for the primers and powder
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:
Meh, I'll know prices have got really insane when I start seeing people buying loaded ammunition for the primers and powder
View Quote

At the peak of insanity I took a pipe cutter to 60 rounds of 308 blanks to get the primers. There is n bullet to pull so one has to cut the case in half.

BTW, do not use a small saw it will heat up the brass and set off the primer (No I did not try this but so called "pros" did LOL)
When he told me about ka-boom I asked why he didn't use a hand pipe-cutter and the duh look was priceless
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By woddwo:
I've seen rumors that smokeless powder pricing/availability could get much worse.
It's not just inflation, price gouging, panic buying, etc.

The war in Ukraine has drained powder/component stocks.
Also, global demand for nitrocellulose is rising.
There is growing demand for nitrocellulose for use in things like paints and printing inks.
So there is a global nitrocellulose shortage (?).
Nitrocellulose is now the single most expensive component of powder (?).
The top three exporters of nitrocellulose are Thailand, China, and India.
China controls most of the market for nitrocellulose (?).

It might not just be nitrocellulose though.
There are precursors to smokeless powder which are only produced in Russia and China (?).
(Just repeating rumors I have seen. I don’t know what these are.)

European powder makers are keeping more of their product for national defense, and not selling it to us (that is, not supplying it to Hodgdon?).
There is a global shortage of explosive accredited shipping.

Powder has become more expensive for ammo manufacturers.
In this video (3:50), the ammo maker says his costs for OEM pistol powder just jumped in February from $13/lb to $22. He buys 10,000+ lbs at a time.
And 4 out of the 5 pistol powders he would generally use are out of stock.

Might as well mention the Vista Outdoors letter in early December.
“Due to world events our suppliers have notified us of unprecedented demand for and an anticipated global shortage of gunpowder, and thus has increased our prices substantially.”
The letter mentions a 10% price increase Alliant Powder, with limited availability.
Someone else says Alliant won’t be shipping any new retail product until 2025 (?).

Someone else says generally powder, primers, and loaded ammo will be in short supply until 2026 at least.

These are some rumors I have seen recently.
View Quote

Super Vel also posted a post-SHOT show video. Start right at the 10:00 mark. Basically, in addition to the fact that Europe has ceased export of powder to the US, China gobbled up and is holding a huge share of the available nitroceluli (or something, he mumbles) which is a central component in powder production. Also, a lot of major ammo companies have government contracts that have primacy over civilian production. So… we’re unable to import powder, we can’t import Russian ammo (happened a few years ago), US powder makers are unable to resupply a critical component that needs to be imported, US mil is trying to resupply after having sent a bunch of arms to Ukraine, and global demand is through the roof.

If you think prices are bad now, hold onto your hat. If there are guns or optics you’re thinking about selling, do it now. Soon there will be no buyers because no one will be able to afford to shoot. Unless we’re suddenly blessed with world peace.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I just purchased 32 pounds A2200.  It's what I use exclusively in 6.8.  I still had about 5 lbs in my stash, but I decided I didn't want to bet on the price of restocking this powder in a year or two.  At this point, on frequently used powders I'm stocking up for a long, long time.  Same with primers.  I'm in full on buy mode.  

I've accepted the fact that component prices will never, ever come back even remotely close to pre pandemic.  Realistically I think a best we will be paying a little more each year for components and ammo.

World has changed and it's not going back to the salad days.  I'm at the point of no longer considering reloading as a cost saving measure, but rather the difference between being able to have ammo vs. not have ammo.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Can't say where the info is from but expect another 35% increase by June. Ammo will get the same or more increase
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I believe it's a LGS on Craigslist selling Varget and H1000 for $75/lb. Other powders $50/lb.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
I believe it's a LGS on Craigslist selling Varget and H1000 for $75/lb. Other powders $50/lb.
View Quote

they can choke on it..
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Agreed. 20+ years ago the premium didn’t seem worth it. Now it’s balanced out and I’ve been considering VV as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#35]
Its my birthday week

I dont need any powder but midway does birthday sales

I was just curious how much they would give off

Most powder was coming in at 20-25% cheaper pricing. Same with primers and such.

Must have a lot of mark up in the price to give those sort of sales price

Varget 27% off

CFE pistol 21% off

Titgroup 20% off

HS6 20%

TAC 21%

H335 20%

WLP 22% off

CCI SP 21% off

CCI #41 25% off

I cant help but think we are getting got seeing these discounted pricing available to me
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I stopped in at a LGS today that carries a decent stock of reloading stuff. I don't stop in often but will occasionally to see how they are pricing and if they happen to have any 8# jugs of powder I would use (they stock 99% 1#, and may have under 5 total 8# jugs normally).

As expected their prices have gone up again, but were pretty well in line with online vendors I have recently priced. I bought 2# of N135 ($50 each) and 2# of Tac ($40 each) to add to the stash.

They had a few pounds of Varget available at $62, StaBall Match at $53, and so on. A couple of powders were over $70/#...
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Its my birthday week

I dont need any powder but midway does birthday sales

I was just curious how much they would give off

Most powder was coming in at 20-25% cheaper pricing. Same with primers and such.

Must have a lot of mark up in the price to give those sort of sales price

Varget 27% off

CFE pistol 21% off

Titgroup 20% off

HS6 20%

TAC 21%

H335 20%

WLP 22% off

CCI SP 21% off

CCI #41 25% off

I cant help but think we are getting got seeing these discounted pricing available to me
View Quote

I agree 100%… seems like prices are heavily inflated.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ZA206:

I agree 100%… seems like prices are heavily inflated.
View Quote

only because people still buy at the insane prices...
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#39]
American Reloading had a powder drop yesterday. It sold out in less than 30 minutes. Still at 189-199 per 8 pound keg.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#40]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
American Reloading had a powder drop yesterday. It sold out in less than 30 minutes. Still at 189-199 per 8 pound keg.
View Quote

They've been slowly walking the prices up and were selling at $160/8 lb jug last fall, now it's $190-200. I don't blame them one bit if they walk those jugs to $250, especially anything useful in 5.56/.308.

I think they've been using most of the medium speed pulldown powder and cases to remanufacture M80. Where else would all that stuff go from the 3 million or whatever amount of rounds they pulled down to generate all the 147 gr fmj they've been selling? I wish they'd have just sold off the components. Would have loved to get some of the primed cases.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

They've been slowly walking the prices up and were selling at $160/8 lb jug last fall, now it's $190-200. I don't blame them one bit if they walk those jugs to $250, especially anything useful in 5.56/.308.

I think they've been using most of the medium speed pulldown powder and cases to remanufacture M80. Where else would all that stuff go from the 3 million or whatever amount of rounds they pulled down to generate all the 147 gr fmj they've been selling? I wish they'd have just sold off the components. Would have loved to get some of the primed cases.
View Quote
It depends what it was. I bought some MP-450 last year that was $190 shipped. It remained at $190 while other stuff was $160.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#42]
The things to consider.....
Most powder is made out of the US.
There has been a pretty steady flow VV powder and that comes from Europe IE Finland.
IMR powder is made mainly in Canada, and some is made in Australia.  Have not seen Enduron powder in ages.  One time Hodgdon claimed it was discontinued then rolled it back to suspended production.
Hodgdon stick powders are all made down under.  Or course some powders are not coming through due to production problems ie Clays Series of powder and Trail Boss....
Both Ramshot and Accurate powders are sourced from US and Canada and Europe. Their prices have not exploded like the others.
Not sure what Alliant and the contractor running Radford Arsenal are doing.. but it basically nowhere to be found.  All the Reloder series of powder
comes from abroad.
Funny how General Dynamics at St. Marks has found time to create 2 new hodgdon shotgun powders or rather more likely just put a brand name to a powder they already have
been making.  They found time to come up with the StaBall line up.  

And you have to remember that American Reloading powders are Non Canister Grades of powder sourced from pull down ammo.  Nothing wrong with that, but with each lot a load work up would be prudent.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RWEIII:
I have been wanting to try the Shooters World (SW) powders...  Half the price of US powders.

For example: I understand that a very few shooters of unknown skill/knowledge/background have tried SW Blackout and SOCOM for 300BLK.  Some of those say it is great/good success in quiet and accuracy yet others say bad/dirty... But not enough data points from true/actual users of ability to trust...

Thoughts?
View Quote

Scheels had some clearance SW powder for $30. When I went back the next day it was $45 (and still sitting there). Was planning on buying 10 lbs at $30
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Our local sportsman's warehouse has notta.

How much do you think our looming election is playing in pricing and availability already?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
Our local sportsman's warehouse has notta.

How much do you think our looming election is playing in pricing and availability already?
View Quote
My local shop's shelf is FULL of 1 pounders and the floor in front of the gun case in lined with a double row of 4 and 8 pounders. H335 is the only price I checked last weekend and it was $305 for 8#.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I find sportsman's warehouse to be the most overpriced around here. Scheels has a lot of powder and prices haven't been too bad, but True Blue was $31/# and recently jumped to $41/# there. Same for other Ramshot powders. Hodgdon powders were similar to my local shop but also went up about $5/# recently. The LGS still has okay prices and have held steady and have decent supply.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Powders have approached the upper limit of what people are willing to pay for them. Whether the prices increases are due to high cost of materials or the manufacturers are simply trying to see what the market will bear makes no difference. At some point in time, people will stop buying.
View Quote

I think people will just keep doing what they’re going, which is dumping it on their CC’s.  I firmly believe inflation will continue as long as virtually unlimited credit is available to almost everyone.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Powders have approached the upper limit of what people are willing to pay for them. Whether the prices increases are due to high cost of materials or the manufacturers are simply trying to see what the market will bear makes no difference. At some point in time, people will stop buying.
View Quote

Already have stopped.  Out of my budget.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Selection at our local Cabelas is suffering. People are still buying, even at these prices.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top