Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that is crazy bold. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Just found on back shelf, dust covered, and unopened, with paper price tags:
Alliance Bullseye from 1989 - $18.49
IMR-3031  15.99
Few cans each of Unique,  IMR4064 and 4895 around too, unopened from the late 90's
Probably ought to try and round up some primers, and get busy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZA206:

Total scam site. You can’t pay with a credit card… the easiest tell there is. They also had H4895, so you know it’s fake!
View Quote

H4895 has been hard to score. I picked up a few jugs back in Nov. That was the first I’d seen in at least 18 months.

But yeah, if a site doesn’t take a CC, steer clear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have found so many new-to-me retailers of reloading supplies in my searches that I have started researching their physical locations using Google Earth.

I get the address from the web site (usually on the Contact Us web page).  This gets searched for after being copied and pasted into Google Earth.

If it brings up a brick and mortar building, with a sign out front that matches the online business name, or some other evidence of being a legitimate storage, sales and shipping business, that is good.

That they allow credit card payments is a go / no-go condition for me.  No credit cards payments allowed means no purchase by me.  

I use the physical location search as an adjunct to that.

When my search for that Company's address pointed me to the middle of an intersection adjacent to an empty field in southern New Jersey, I wrote them off as scammers.  There were two residences near by but neither had the proper address nor was there visual evidence of a business.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
IMR 35% range
Accurate and Ramshot 18%
Some of the ADI Hodgdon stuff only 11 percent like Varget
Only powder that did not go up was Titewad
Winchester 18 percent or more and same for St. Marks made Hodgdon

Guess VV will be looking cheap.....
View Quote

Yep. I’m set for a long time on powders, but if I were buying today, VV would be all I would buy. And maybe shooters world.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I slap my head when I only bought 4 pounds of ar plus at 25 per pound when they have about 8 more left 🙈

Couple days before I bought h335 but only 2 instead of 4 was 32 bucks mid nov.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Anybody think powder prices will ever come down again, or is this the new normal?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Anybody think powder prices will ever come down again, or is this the new normal?
View Quote

As long as it sells at the new prices, why would " they" lower it ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pointman91:

As long as it sells at the new prices, why would " they" lower it ?
View Quote

Yep. If VV stays consistent on pricing and availability, it’ll be interesting to see what effect they have on Alliant and Hodgon sales. I’m seeing 8 lb VV jugs for $280 vs $330 ish for Hodgon and even more for Alliant
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
It's kind of like primers a few years ago.  The current pricing of powder (and primers) have lead me to try other brands/imported offerings, and often with as good, or sometimes better results for far cheaper.  For awhile, anyway.  In some ways it's good, some it sucks re-developing loads, but hey, it's a hobby too.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chumly2071:
It's kind of like primers a few years ago.  The current pricing of powder (and primers) have lead me to try other brands/imported offerings, and often with as good, or sometimes better results for far cheaper.  For awhile, anyway.  In some ways it's good, some it sucks re-developing loads, but hey, it's a hobby too.

View Quote

Yup i have found for plinking ammo for 556 different primers ave not made much difference and changing powders very slight.My main is 335 but i have used cfe223 and had decent results for plinking and lately shootersworld ar plus and it was pretty good in my guns.

I do have a couple pounds if h335 and rem 7.5 primers which i use with 69smk to make my accuracy rounds.When supply gets tight i rather just use what ever other supplies for general shooting vs the good stuff.When i try a new combo i usually load in middle range of data.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Stopped in the local place that usually has the best prices. Decided to get some of their remaining stock before new stock and increases.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Ugh,  I hate paying some of the prices now. You guys think it might come down like primers?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Ugh,  I hate paying some of the prices now. You guys think it might come down like primers?
View Quote

It depends on a lot of things IMO.  Part of the problem is that Hodgon/Winchester/Ramshot/Accurate/IMR are all owned by the same entity.  That only leaves Alliant, VV, and Lovex brands as competition.

If people quit buying it at current prices, then yes, it wlll come down.  But that depends on politcal and economic factors.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#16]
Originally Posted By molar:
Part of the problem is that Hodgon/Winchester/Ramshot/Accurate/IMR are all owned by the same entity.  

I agree.

If people quit buying it at current prices, then yes, it wlll come down.

Not necessarily,  They could just throttle back on production.  

Profitability is viewed as an item in and of itself.  It has to be a certain percentage of sales, otherwise there's no sense to make and sell.  They could move company resources to a more profitable item.  As long as Uncle Sam (or someone) is buying enough to keep the company afloat, simplistic market forces/strategies don't necessarily apply.

This is a near-term strategy more likely used by the retailers as a way to move product.  It can also hurt the smaller retailers.  It does not directly impact the producers.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Took my lumps and bought some Varget and H335 locally.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I seeing no value add buying online anymore... unless i can find it in bulk makes no sense anymore with hazmat its cheapier to buy locally
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By molar:

It depends on a lot of things IMO.  Part of the problem is that Hodgon/Winchester/Ramshot/Accurate/IMR are all owned by the same entity.  That only leaves Alliant, VV, and Lovex brands as competition.

If people quit buying it at current prices, then yes, it wlll come down.  But that depends on politcal and economic factors.
View Quote

I think a much larger piece of the puzzle is where these powders are actually made. If you’ll notice, the powders not actually made in the US have remained harder to get and more expensive than domestically made powders. And the US made stuff became available faster than the foreign made stuff after the big drought.

I have heard some things regarding various difficulties exporting and importing powders, but I don’t know enough about all of that to have an educated opinion. But something is definitely up.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like a lot of the foreign made powders. I’m definitely not happy that it’s like this now. But this is the reality now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
View Quote

Primer prices have not really come down and availability still sucks for the most part.

(unless a guy wants some mexican primers in their inventory)

I am not buying any powder at these current prices. A hard, heck no, PASS for me. If I run out of something I really like I will move on to something else I have on hand that is 'less preferred' and make due with what I got (and save those funds I would normally be spending on that sort of stuff) until such time as the right deal does come along. (and it will eventually)

Bullseye is by far my LEAST favorite pistol powder that I keep on hand but... If I ran out of everything else and that was all that I had to work with I would find a way to use it and be happy that I had it around to tide me over until I found a deal on something that I did like.

12lbs of Bullseye x 7000 grains per lb / 5 grains average per round = 16,800 or rounds down range.

(Credit Dryflash here for turning me on to True Blue - Read him frequently talk about / mention it here for many years before I finally decided to try it for myself. I would NOT have 12lbs of Bullseye on hand if I had followed his suggestions and at least 'tried' the stuff sooner.)

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
It looks like Midway has 100% embraced the new higher pricing on powder. Scrolling through their offerings plenty are in the $65-70 per pound range.

I has to be a sign of the end of days or something when Bass Pro / Cabelas has emerged as having good prices on something, especially powder.  They don’t offer a ton of variety but what they do carry is (at least for now) competitively priced.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Cabela's also has relatively low primer prices, even on name brands such as Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Procat:
It looks like Midway has 100% embraced the new higher pricing on powder. Scrolling through their offerings plenty are in the $65-70 per pound range.

I has to be a sign of the end of days or something when Bass Pro / Cabelas has emerged as having good prices on something, especially powder.  They don’t offer a ton of variety but what they do carry is (at least for now) competitively priced.
View Quote

Midway seems to be testing the waters on what they can get away with.

The prices on some powders is fluctuating by up to $20/lb from day to day. When they're on the low side the prices actually aren't that bad. Otherwise.... ehhhhh.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#25]
LGS just got in 2 cases of CFE Pistol. They're holding steady from the last shipment at $33/lb. + shipping.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Stopped at scheels and they had a 2kg can of VV3n37 for $100. Less than $25/lb? I’ll find a use for it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
LGS just got in 2 cases of CFE Pistol. They're holding steady from the last shipment at $33/lb. + shipping.

View Quote

I need to find a non big-box LGS that carries reloading supplies.  Not much close to where I am.

I miss $20/lb pistol powder.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Techsan02:
Stopped at scheels and they had a 2kg can of VV3n37 for $100. Less than $25/lb? I’ll find a use for it.
View Quote

Billings, by chance?  I load 3N37 in 10mm, though it doesn't make top velocity it is very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Wonder how.long these will last on the shelf

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

Billings, by chance?  I load 3N37 in 10mm, though it doesn't make top velocity it is very accurate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:
Originally Posted By Techsan02:

If a store has a few in stock, see what they will do on price if you buy it all.  I know and deal with the same guy at Scheels.  When I was making a larger purchase I asked about there last two jugs 2 kg of 3n37.  He checked other stores and found a store (Sioux Falls I think) selling it for $50 a jug so I got that price.  My store is trying to move there slow selling reloading items.  I think they are going to quit carrying Vhit at my store.  Also Scheels price match seems to be a smooth process.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Local place had a restock on powder. Price was up about $10 per pound from a couple weeks ago. CFE Pistol was $42. H335 was $45. Varget was $56. I don’t think any powder was less than $40 a pound.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Those are still good prices, that's about what we're seeing locally in WA.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#33]
All lgs locations in my area of FL are retail criminals.  $65/# for any Hodgdon Extreme powder.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Im practically done with buying powder.  I cant afford it, at current prices.  So Ill use what I have, then stop.  I  guess shoot 22 rimfire.  I bought some TAC 8 pound for $150 back in 19', I cringed a little but accepted.
Now seeing powder like 4350 is 50/52 bucks for a pound, nope.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

View Quote

That’s the only place I’ve been able to source LRPs for a while.  Had a friend grab me a brick one day and 7 sleeves the following week.  

Once I get about halfway through my CFE pistol stash, I was going to try some True Blue as well.  I just don’t want to like it so much and have a ton of CFE sitting around not getting used
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#37]
Originally Posted By country_boy87:
Im practically done with buying powder.  I cant afford it, at current prices.  So Ill use what I have, then stop.  I  guess shoot 22 rimfire.  I bought some TAC 8 pound for $150 back in 19', I cringed a little but accepted.
View Quote

Scarcity is one thing but, to me, that is the real problem in all of this - making shooting and reloading so expensive few can afford it.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

Scarcity is one thing but, to me, that is the real problem in all of this - making shooting and reloading so expensive few can afford it.  

View Quote

Terrifying.

Thinking back as a kid I could collect pop bottles to buy a "box of shells" or a "pack of 22"... know what? Sell plasma?

Prices come down to something reasonable (no idea what that is) I'll mortgage the wife to make sure my kid can shoot when he's old enough.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#39]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Couild country-boy87 cut something out his budget so he can afford said price?  I know, the prices suck, but the powers that be want you to stop shooting and practicing.  

I just bought 2k of Winchester M193 @60c/rd shipped, so I know what pain is.

I reload M193 type ammo too, but thankfully I stocked up on components a while back.  Some TAC back in 2007, more in 2019.  Got to replace the old stock of M193 with new from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MrSelfdestruct:
So I never got around to reloading have all the equipment brass and primers…

Never got around to figuring out what powder to start with.

Was going to try and buy some before it gets really bad.

I have no clue what I should buy….

Planning on starting with 9mm then eventually do 5.56 one I have some experience.

Does it matter what powder I buy?

Can someone suggest ones I should look for?
View Quote

Start with what bullets you can get, then look up for reloading data for that bullet to see what powders are listed.  Then download a burning rate chart and if you can't find the exact powders you looked up, use the burning rate chart to see if there is anything available that is a similar burning rate.  burning_rate_chart

You can't substitute powders based on the list, but it can get you close enough that you can find loading data for the powder that you get.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Same here...
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#43]
Like I said, they are turning shooting into "the sport of kings" - difficult to do legally and too expensive for most.   That is very much the European model, coming to a State near you.

Keep your gear, and keep it lubed, even if you don't use it very often.  It gives you options as the cost & availability pendulum swings back and forth.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:08:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phdog] [#44]
I don't know the real reason for the price increases - gouging by manufacturers, actual increases in cost to manufacture, supply and demand, etc, but I've had 3 different shops tell me that they are mostly selling reloading components for cost in order to keep customers coming in and even a few things below cost.

At least around here, that seems plausible as everything is cheaper locally than the online dealers and by quite a lot sometimes.

A few examples vs PV (before shipping and hazmat) and all of these are in stock here and some are not online.

Prices I paid or saw when in the stores:

True Blue and Enforcer - $31/lb vs $42
H1000 - $51 vs $55
H4350 - $51 vs $56
Varget - $47 vs $57
H4831 - $54 vs $57
VV N160 - $35 vs $42
VV N140 - $43 - $42 (only example I've seen of online being cheaper but almost all VV powders are OOS but decent selection locally. I didn't check all possible sites.)
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By phdog:
I don't know the real reason for the price increases - gouging by manufacturers, actual increases in cost to manufacture, supply and demand, etc, but I've had 3 different shops tell me that they are mostly selling reloading components for cost in order to keep customers coming in and even a few things below cost.

At least around here, that seems plausible as everything is cheaper locally than the online dealers and by quite a lot sometimes.

A few examples vs PV (before shipping and hazmat) and all of these are in stock here and some are not online.

Prices I paid or saw when in the stores:

True Blue and Enforcer - $31/lb vs $42
H1000 - $51 vs $55
H4350 - $51 vs $56
Varget - $47 vs $57
H4831 - $54 vs $57
VV N160 - $35 vs $42
VV N140 - $43 - $42 (only example I've seen of online being cheaper but almost all VV powders are OOS but decent selection locally. I didn't check all possible sites.)
View Quote

I found the same at Scheels. Another possibility is that the local stores just haven't realized the latest price increases, yet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By N1150x:
Below are some quick estimates.

155 artillery uses ~ 5.5 lb of powder per shot.

Ukraine is shooting 5,500 shells per day. That is 15 tons of powder being burned per day for 155's only.

They have been doing that for a year. That is enough powder to load 3 billion 556 rounds.

That is just 155's

View Quote

Some say that the powders are different, thus does not affect civilian markets. But, core building blocks overlap. Nitrogen is nitrogen, as an example.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dairyfarmer:

I found the same at Scheels. Another possibility is that the local stores just haven't realized the latest price increases, yet.
View Quote

Maybe, but the staff I spoke to seemed pretty aware they were not profiting. I think some places like PV need to make a profit as reloading supplies are pretty much all they sell. Scheels makes money elsewhere so a loss leader is sort of part of their model.

Another way to look at it, 5 years ago PV prices were usually lower than local but usually only a few dollars. They were making money then and local shops where likely charging the "going rate" as well. Now, it kind of flipped so either they will eventually catch up or have embraced the loss leader model. To a point, at least. They certainly aren't giving it away.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:53:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phdog] [#49]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
It's ALWAYS supply and demand. Look at the threads in this forum where we're clamoring to find supplies - that sounds like high demand to me. People also forget that there is a huge demand for commercial ammunition due to all the new shooters that have come onboard since Covid; there's just not a lot left over after meeting ammo demands, and no one has really built any extra capacity.
View Quote

Sure, but sometimes that's artificial or more perception than reality.

Probably some regional variations, but supply around me is pretty good now. LRP are harder to find, but I still can find them. Plenty of powder on the shelves at places like Scheels. Sure, some powders are still OOS everywhere. I haven't seen IMR 4064 is a long time, but Varget was unobtainable for a while and now it's not too hard to find. I switched to VV powders though and plenty happy with them. Cheaper too.

Ammo shelves are well-stocked too. 30-30 was hard to find, now it's everywhere around me. Prices are up, but supply is not really an issue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top