User Panel

My Journey to Reloading (Page 4 of 12)
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

If that was Imperial sizing wax -

Then yes, That stuff was 'better' than any home / spray on stuff.

In my opinion that stuff (the Imperial) is as slick as one can possibly get with the least amount of product / residue that is left behind.

Suggest trying both with your particular dies and cleaning tools before making your choice on what to stock.

View Quote

Thanks. Could be. It was green and very slick. Just dabbing the tip of my finger on the surface of it was enough lube for two sizings. I like experimenting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
OP did use both.

He could see Imperial is great for a couple cases, but for bulk nothing is better than the home made.
View Quote

Completely agree.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Regarding powder. This is just a learning exercise at this point. I'm looking at data from the 2023 Hodgdon manual, the only one I have so far.

I started with three lists of powders.

List 1: Hogdgon '23, page 76, 55 GR. HDY V-MAX (7 powders)
List 2: Hogdgon '23, page 77, 77 GR. HDY V-MAX (11 powders)
List 3: @dryflash3 (6 powders)

I'm using the 55 grain data for the 53 grain V-Max bullets I want to develop a load for.
I'm using the 77 grain data for the 77 grain Sierra Match King bullets I want to develop a load for.

Comparing the three lists, I see two powders that are on all three lists: TAC and A-2230.

I'm not ready to buy powder yet; this is just an exercise in me trying to think like a reloader. I know I will want to look at more than just one manual when I'm doing this for real.

If I were buying powder now, and I could only buy one, and I only had the one manual to use, and I couldn't get any expert help, I'd go looking for TAC and A2230. I'm not going to do that but is my thinking heading in the right direction?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
TAC and AA2230 are nice powders. TAC is one of my favorites, especially with the 55 VMax
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ZA206:
TAC and AA2230 are nice powders. TAC is one of my favorites, especially with the 55 VMax
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
OP did use both.

He could see Imperial is great for a couple cases, but for bulk nothing is better than the home made.
View Quote

You would not have a tin of (and I would bet that you got more than one) Imperial around to use if you did not know it was way more gooder (than the home spray stuff) at a LOT of different things than sizing EASY 5.56 brass. :)

Also noticed that mentioned was the green flavor of the Imperial wax.

You bought that stuff and keep it around for good reasons... :)

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:

If I were buying powder now, and I could only buy one, and I only had the one manual to use, and I couldn't get any expert help, I'd go looking for TAC and A2230. I'm not going to do that but is my thinking heading in the right direction?

Thanks!

View Quote

Depends on what you mean by 'one'.

One single 1lb can or one single 8lb can?  

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to use A2230 when it was $5-6 a pound cheaper than BLC2 and H-335.

Then the price went up on A2230, so it cost the same as other powders, This was about 20 years ago.

Then I discovered Tac, and it's my go to in 223 FMJ bullets. One of the best powders for 223/5.56.

I didn't discuss powders much as the names are numbers, and it was brain overload as it was.

To me knowing how to use a reloading manual is much more important, then you can experiment and learn for yourself safely.

Btw, you really don't need to summon me to read your post. I go through the forum twice a day and read every new post.
View Quote

You made a good call. My brain was so full when I left your place, I was worried about toppling over when I walked.

Experimenting with smokeless powder without using reloading data from a manual sounds extraordinarily dangerous to me. That sounds like seriously advanced reloading stuff that would be way down the road for me, if ever. It's hard for me to imagine my shooting needs ever getting to the point where I'd need to do that.

In looking through the 2023 Hodgdon's manual you gave me, TAC looks like it will also work well in 6.5mm Grendel. Not so much for .300 BO or 30-30. I noticed that TAC disappears from the loading data once bullet weight gets up to around 125 grains. I'm guessing this means it develops too much pressure getting the heavier bullets moving?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#11]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

Depends on what you mean by 'one'.

One single 1lb can or one single 8lb can?  

View Quote

One powder.

Seriously, though, I doubt I'll buy any more than one pound of any particular powder until I know how it runs in our guns.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My shotgun project is going nowhere fast, so I'm putting it on hold and moving $400 to the reloading fund. I'm thinking the next thing I should purchase are manuals. They're the one thing I can use now, while I'm putting together the rest of my tools. After that, dies, press, powder measure, and scale.

I ordered a Hornady Microjust bullet-seating stem. I plan to buy one every time I buy a set of dies. With my bad eyes and average shooting skills, I need all the help I can get. Precision repeatability seems to be a good part of a strategy for getting reliability, consitency, and accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a couple of the legacy Hornady micro seating/adjust stems. They are cheap and work well, however they are difficult to read and tend to rust quickly. Hornady recently came out with a really nice click adjust seating stem that looks REALLY good, but it kinda pricey.

TAC is a great performer in lots of cartridges, 223, 6.5G & 308 are where it shines. The fact that it's cheap and always available is icing on the cake.

-ZA
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Tac works well in 30-30. Remember you are only looking at one manual. Get Lyman 51 as soon as you can.

The front of manual is where you should start reading. A complete how to reload section, the the loading data.

I tried Tac in 6.5 Grendel, with very limited testing I found CFE-223 a better powder for me.

But by all means begin with Tac.

Sometimes a powder will disappear from data because you can't get enough powder in the case for a decent load.
Certain bullet weights gave sporadic or dangerous results.
View Quote

Great info, thanks.

Is $32 a decent price for Lyman 51, please?

Speer manual next, right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a couple of the legacy Hornady micro seating/adjust stems. They are cheap and work well, however they are difficult to read and tend to rust quickly. Hornady recently came out with a really nice click adjust seating stem that looks REALLY good, but it kinda pricey.

TAC is a great performer in lots of cartridges, 223, 6.5G & 308 are where it shines. The fact that it's cheap and always available is icing on the cake.

-ZA
View Quote

Thanks. I'll keep my adjusting stems clean and lightly oiled; maybe I'll be able to avoid the rust. Thanks for the heads-up.

TAC sounds like a good place to start.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#17]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#18]
$31 on Amazon. 2 day shipping on Prime.

If you want to use Hornady bullets, get their manual.

If you want to use Speer bullets, get their manual.

You indicated you liked Hornady 53 gr Vmax, so Hornady before Speer manual.

View Quote

Lyman 51 ordered, thanks!

Good point. I like their 110-grain Vmax in .300 BO too. Hornady next. I also have 77 grain Sierra Match King 5.56 ammo for larger varmints and loading those bullets will be my second reloading project. So I'm thinking I'll pick up both. More data points is better, right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d also add that you can download the Western Powders load guide for free. It has all of the Western & Accurate brand powders in it with most of the popular bullets.

Great free resource if using TAC or AA2230
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#22]

I'm recalling my problem with removing primer crimps and over-reaming the pockets on almost 20% of the brass. I was thinking I could chuck the reamer in my drill press, center the shell holder on the plate, adjust the stop on the drill press to the appropriate depth, then go to town on the primer pockets. I see the shell holder, once centered properly, as an easy way to keep the shell centered and aligned with the center axis of the reamer.
View Quote

Instead of the above, try an RCBS crimp reamer. It indexes/stops on the face of the case head instead of the bottom of the primer pocket. I used the Hornady crimp remover before discovering the RCBS. This tool can't cut too deep by design.

https://www.bushnell.com/made-in-america/trim-mate-military-crimp-remover-2/855.html

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:42:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

Instead of the above, try an RCBS crimp reamer. It indexes/stops on the face of the case head instead of the bottom of the primer pocket. I used the Hornady crimp remover before discovering the RCBS. This tool can't cut too deep by design.

https://www.bushnell.com/made-in-america/trim-mate-military-crimp-remover-2/855.html

View Quote

Thanks. I like the sound of that. Do you use it with the RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center or do you chuck it up in a drill?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#25]
@Cascade-Dude
   I went with the Hornady reloading App, it's an annual subscription, but when they publish a new hard copy they send you one as well.

Also if you are a veteran (looking at the inverted S-3 and making a guess) RCBS offers veteran pricing if you purchase directly from them. They don't want you to talk specifics in public. Let's just say I normally order RCBS items direct from RCBS.

Link for Western guide

Western Reloading Guide v 8.0

Check 6!
Bandit
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Bandit432:
@Cascade-Dude
   I went with the Hornady reloading App, it's an annual subscription, but when they publish a new hard copy they send you one as well.

Also if you are a veteran (looking at the inverted S-3 and making a guess) RCBS offers veteran pricing if you purchase directly from them. They don't want you to talk specifics in public. Let's just say I normally order RCBS items direct from RCBS.

Link for Western guide

Western Reloading Guide v 8.0

Check 6!
Bandit
View Quote

Copy all, Bandit, Tally-Ho! Break right, break right, break right!

I'm looking for a used press under $100 but I'll keep that in mind for the other products I'm planning to get from RCBS. Good for them!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

View Quote

There are a couple of reviews there that say they wear out fast. One said 500, if I'm remembering it right, and another 1500. What's your experience been, please?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Start with a vibratory tumbler and walnut media.  You'll need one later anyway.    A media separator with a cover would be nice.  I separated media by hand for several years by fishing the cases out, then blowing them off with compressed air (in the garage).

A rotary tumbler with steel pins falls hard into the "nice to have" category, and they are not necessary.  To clean up the worst of the range pick up you find, give it a bath in soapy water in a 5 gallon bucket and make certain there are no rocks inside the cases.

Then, put those cases in a container with a tight lid and solution of Lemishine or citric acid and a dash of soap.  Set container aside to soak for three or four days, or even longer.  Give the container a few shakes every time you walk by.  When the soak is finished, rinse and dry the cases, then tumble in walnut for a couple of hours.  Add polish if you must, this is about the only instance when I contaminate my media with polish.

Not as clean as wet tumbling, but a nice result anyway.  The biggest difference is primer pockets won't be like new.

Several years ago before I started wet tumbling I cleaned a few primer pockets by hand after a short soak.  The carbon is soft, but mechanical action is needed to get it out of the pockets.  Shaking the container promotes removal, but without something that gets into the pockets it's not perfect.

While I'm on wet tumbling, I have the opinion that wet tumbling to delube is a huge waste of time due to the extra steps.  Vibratory tumbling to delube in clean corn cob requires less than 10 minutes, and about 15 minutes is enough in clean walnut.

View Quote

Thank you, Sir! dryflash3 showed me his dry tumbler setup. He uses finely-ground corn cob and it gets the inside of the primer pockets nice and clean. He also showed me the lemi-shine/dish-soap method. I had never heard of the stuff but I was picking up some dishwasher detergent a few days ago and saw it on the shelf and grabbed some.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Cascade Dude, be advised, NO reloader in their right mind will ever be  "experimenting with smokeless powder without using reloading data from a manual", no matter how advanced they are.  They all have different burn rates.

Now, the only rifle I reload is .224/5.56, but I'm extremely happy with H335, or close second BLC-2, for all loads from 77gr to 55gr.

Just for economy's sake, I do tend to stay with one powder type for rifle, and one for pistol.  Also makes it easier when you run out, you're just reaching for the next jug, refilling the hopper, and keep on keeping on, instead of readjusting things, etc.

But I hear Tac is excellent too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
Cascade Dude, be advised, NO reloader in their right mind will ever be  "experimenting with smokeless powder without using reloading data from a manual", no matter how advanced they are.  They all have different burn rates.

Now, the only rifle I reload is .224/5.56, but I'm extremely happy with H335, or close second BLC-2, for all loads from 77gr to 55gr.

Just for economy's sake, I do tend to stay with one powder type for rifle, and one for pistol.  Also makes it easier when you run out, you're just reaching for the next jug, refilling the hopper, and keep on keeping on, instead of readjusting things, etc.

But I hear Tac is excellent too.
View Quote

Thanks! Great advice. My reloading vision, as it stands now, sort of looks like this: Near-term, develop two 5.56 loads, small varmint and large varmint, then reload them into the brass from my bulk range ammo purchases. Once I'm there, I have three projects I'd like to undertake and I haven't prioritized them. One will be a couple of game loads for my 22" barrel 6.5mm Grendel, likely starting with Hornady 123 grain SST, similar to the factory ammo in my ammo locker. The other will be will be a defense round for .300 BO with a 10.5" barrel, likely starting with 110g grain V-Max, again, like the bulk factory ammo I have. The last will be a dream of mine for almost 50 years: Loading ballistic bullets for my bolt-action, box magazine 30-30 Savage "plain" rifle. Later on, .38 special and .357 magnum.

I have so much work to do. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#33]
You misunderstood.

The fine corn cob flows through the flasholes and does not block them. Unlike the crap bought at pet stores.

The clean primer pockets came form wet tumbling that was done before sizing. Lube added when cases were sized.

Dry tumbling is only for lube removal (in my world).

Totally agree with AeroE, wet tumbling to remove case lube is unnecessary work, steps, and drying time.

Wet tumbling only makes sense to initially clean cases.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 7:13:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#34]
The wife came up to me yesterday and says, "You know, it's not really fair that you have to pay for lighting out of your reloading budget, so get what you need."

So I did. I now have two 10,000 lumen LED fixtures. Installed one of them just now. Wow, what a difference. And why wouldn't it be? I'm replacing one 14-watt LED bulb with two four-tube fixtures.

I love my wife.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I have 223 dies, shell holders, a Lyman manual, a Hornady manual, and bushings for mounting the powder dispenser on order. Will all be here by the 9th. Used Redding powder dispenser and RCBS scale from redflash3. That will leave me about $120 for the press.

When I get my January budget of $200, that should cover case prep/primer tools, gauges, and so on. On February 1, I'll have $200 for primers, powders and bullets. Tumbler on March 1.

Plenty of time to sort brass, then clean it in a plastic box with Lemi-shine and dish soap. And find a press.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:12:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#36]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 12:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#39]

redflash3, Lol.
View Quote

Whoops, sorry about that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#40]
That was his callsign when he flew an X-wing in the Rebellion.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
That was his callsign when he flew an X-wing in the Rebellion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I’d also add that you can download the Western Powders load guide for free. It has all of the Western & Accurate brand powders in it with most of the popular bullets.

Great free resource if using TAC or AA2230
View Quote

Reading it right now. Thanks. My Lyman manual gets here today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Good idea.

Also go to Alliant's web site and look around. AR Comp is a good 223 powder.

Find the place where they send you a free loading guide and request one.

It takes awhile, but it good data. Especially if you get into pistol reloading.
View Quote

I downloaded the PDF and ordered the free printed manual. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Good morning Cascade, all.

Just a note on data available for free on the inter-web:

Nosler. A bullet and other compoent manufacturer.

Speer. Bullet manufacturer.

Barnes. Bullet manufacturer.

Vihtavuori: Smokeless powder manufacurer based in Finlanf.

Alliant: Powder suplier with a large data-base and deep history in smokeless powder.

Hodgdon. Maybe the largest powder supplier in the world with a huge selection of brands. It's on-line data is extensive to say the least.

Western Powder. Wester Powder has it's own data manuals available for free download and I personally like Western's Vol 8. Western is now a part of the Hodgdon family.

Really nice to see your enjoyment in this reloading endevor.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By paduce:
Good morning Cascade, all.

Just a note on data available for free on the inter-web:

Nosler. A bullet and other compoent manufacturer.

Speer. Bullet manufacturer.

Barnes. Bullet manufacturer.

Vihtavuori: Smokeless powder manufacurer based in Finlanf.

Alliant: Powder suplier with a large data-base and deep history in smokeless powder.

Hodgdon. Maybe the largest powder supplier in the world with a huge selection of brands. It's on-line data is extensive to say the least.

Western Powder. Wester Powder has it's own data manuals available for free download and I personally like Western's Vol 8. Western is now a part of the Hodgdon family.

Really nice to see your enjoyment in this reloading endevor.
View Quote

Good morning! Thanks for the information and the encouragement!
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:23:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#48]
I'm making a list of subjects to go over on your next visit.

Like a deep dive into case inspection.

Pistol loading. I love loading 357. It's easier to load straight cases, less case prep.

300 blk case forming loading (annealing) and, mag theory, OAL.

All stuff not needed to start loading 223.

Read the "how to load" section in the Lyman manual.

You will see I follow their loading recommendations closely except for a few "tweaks" where they go "Lawyer" on the subject.

They have to do that because they have no idea who will use their manual, and have to protect thereselfs.

No "tweaks" on safety, I'm precise there.

We live in the real world, so we have "tweaks" on some things.
View Quote

That all sounds great to me. I'll bring my notebook and plan to go into "sponge" mode again so I can soak up as much as possible. Thanks!

Case forming for .300 BO ... are you talking about making .300 cases from .223 cases? That would be cool. I have about 500 rounds of factory ammo in new, not converted, .300 brass. I'd love to have more but the stuff is expensive. So being able to make .300 cases out of my (relatively) inexpensive range ammo would be a big benefit.

I love .357. My S&W Model 19 is my go-to self-defense pistol. It's also my concealed carry in bear country. Apart from the limits of revolver capacity, it is, in my humble opinion, the best pistol caliber of all time, largely due to it's versatility. I've sent more .38/.357 bullets down-range out of K-frame Smith & Wesson's than all the other bullets from all the other firearms I've ever fired. For three years in the '80's, I was firing a Combat Masterpiece four times a week, 50-100 rounds per session. For self-defense, I favor light, fast-moving frangible bullets. For bear, big, heavy, sharp-cornered, gas-checked hard-cast. I bought a thousand rounds of .357 factory ammo (Remington) not too long ago, so I'll have plenty of brass. All my .38 brass is aluminum, though. When I bought it, reloading wasn't on my radar yet.

One of the things I really like about being trained by you is your emphasis on practical safety. You'll never see me wanting to compromise safety to cut corners. Tweaks that ignore the institutional paranoia of corporate lawyers are fine with me. Making lawyers happy is no part of my safety attitude. I spent a lot of years in flight test, including more than a hundred flights of aircraft that had never flown a single time before we got into it and took it into the sky. Many of the them had the word "experimental" painted on the side. Safety was everything and it permeated everything we did at a molecular level. It's how we stayed alive. My approach to and attitude about firearm safety in general and reloading safety in particular, comes from that background. I will always be happy to learn safety best practices so I can incorporate them into everything I do. And I will always be grateful for being pulled up short if/when I do something unsafe.

Experts like you and others here know which corners can be cut safely and by how much, and which can't. Newbies like me can't do that and shouldn't try. We should probably get smacked upside the head if we do try to do that.

The Lyman manual arrived at my mailbox late yesterday and I'm going to pick it up when they open at 8:00.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#50]

https://i.imgur.com/O6wRyUJh.jpg

Yes making 300 blk from 223, here is my process. I cut cases with a bandsaw I already had. You may need to buy a cutter.

Annealing is not hard or cost a lot, assuming you have a propane torch.

Some folks skip annealing when forming cases, but I'm picky and want the best results.

My thread on annealing, https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Low-budget-Annealing/42-439440/

Back when 300 blk was first coming out, *IIRC 2010 ish, I was putting together an AR from parts and waiting for a barrel.

So with a Wilson case gauge and Lee dies (later upgraded to Hornady when they were available) I formed brass that "gauged".

When I got the AR finished my ammo chambered and functioned just fine.

*IIRC, If I Recall Correctly    That acronym puzzled me for a long time, so explaining.
View Quote

Cool stuff! Thanks. Well-done!

Roger propane torch. I have a lot of metal cutting options but most are way too large and brutal for cutting down brass; chop saw, angle grinder, etc. Hmm, though I do have a tubing cutter for fabricating brake and fuel lines for cars.

I like the idea of annealing. Get the molecules moving so they break apart the bonds they've settled into so it takes the new shape better and more easily. It seems like a much gentler way to do it than just cramming it in a cold die. I'm guessing it means stronger cases, fewer cracks, and possibly more reloads?
Page / 12
My Journey to Reloading (Page 4 of 12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top