Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, just to follow up on my last post: The Xero C1 Pro seems to be measuring velocity between 20 and 30 metres. I had a low of about 19.7 metres and about 27 metres at its longest measurement distance.

It's display only -- you'll see the distance number beside the shot total (I don't have a paid account so I can't attach a picture, but you'll see it if you enable it) -- and I couldn't figure out a way to have that number saved to the unit as another variable. At least, it didn't show up when I exported my data as CSV.

Now, I'll leave it to smarter people than I, but I do wonder if this can get someone part of the way of calculating BC based on this additional data.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got mine and have been playing around with it.  Loving it so far!

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I was curious if the Xero C1 would work in our small indoor range so I did a test, shot 16 rounds of 2 different loads outdoors at the 100 yard range, and then 16 rounds of the same 2 loads inside right after. The indoor range is maybe 25 yards, probably more like 20, and I got about 150fps lower averages between the indoor strings than the outdoor strings on both loads. I want to test this again with a different gun and loads that I know are more consistent, and maybe compare to my Caldwell G2.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hking:
I was curious if the Xero C1 would work in our small indoor range so I did a test, shot 16 rounds of 2 different loads outdoors at the 100 yard range, and then 16 rounds of the same 2 loads inside right after. The indoor range is maybe 25 yards, probably more like 20, and I got about 150fps lower averages between the indoor strings than the outdoor strings on both loads. I want to test this again with a different gun and loads that I know are more consistent, and maybe compare to my Caldwell G2.
View Quote

@Hking what is the backstop made of on the indoor range (steel, rubber, other?)
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

@Hking what is the backstop made of on the indoor range (steel, rubber, other?)
View Quote

Its about as basic of a indoor range as you can think of, a wall of Range System Dura-Bloc bricks with a 1/4" steel plate behind them.

https://www.range-systems.com/product/dura-bloc-exp/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Got mine a couple weeks ago.
Used it on some 44 mag loads I am working on.
This thing is awesome. My old prochrono was such a pain to set up, I rarely used it except when I had to. And then I still griped about lining it up between the gun and target. Took so much time.

The garmin, set it on the bench and blammo, you are reading shots.
1000 times easier, well worth every penny. Has instantly made all other chronos obsolete.

Last weekend I tried it out with some pistol rounds. I set it on a tripod just under me and I was shooting at 18 yards.
Picked up every shot with no issue.  I have not tried it at shorter than that. The instructions say at least 20 yards, but it seemed to work fine at 18.

I have not tried it with shotgun rounds yet, but I am going to. Curious to see if it reads or not.
I have heard it can be a little hit and miss with shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:39:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#7]
I just got my hands on a Xero C1.
It's great.
I did notice I was shooting a little too fast for it to register every shot.
It needs 2-3 second pause between shots. No big deal.
It did not pickup any shots from nearby shooters, which is great.
It would be nice if you could create templates in the unit for specific loads, then just use that data to start a session. Have it preload rifle/pistol and bullet weight.
Since I am still in the stone age with my old phone, I am unable to DL the shot view app.
I was able to install it on my Chromebook, but have been unsuccessful getting it to pair.
For now I just document my data by taking pictures.
All in all, it is awesome.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GunsNotPuns:
Okay, just to follow up on my last post: The Xero C1 Pro seems to be measuring velocity between 20 and 30 metres. I had a low of about 19.7 metres and about 27 metres at its longest measurement distance.

It's display only -- you'll see the distance number beside the shot total (I don't have a paid account so I can't attach a picture, but you'll see it if you enable it) -- and I couldn't figure out a way to have that number saved to the unit as another variable. At least, it didn't show up when I exported my data as CSV.

Now, I'll leave it to smarter people than I, but I do wonder if this can get someone part of the way of calculating BC based on this additional data.
View Quote

When truing BC you do 1000yds give or take so idk how useful a BC derived from that range would be.

It reads from those distances but I assume it figures  a muzzle velocity and displays that?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
True, my initial enthusiasm may have been misguided.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I finally got to take mine out and put it through it's paces. I have to say I am thoroughly pleased. Linked up easily to my phone, imported all my shot strings, and only missed one shot due to me accidentally selecting the wrong velocity range. It's really nice to buy something that actually lives up to the hype and this thing did just that. 100% would recommend. There were a few guys at the range checking it out and they fell in love. These things are going to sell like hot cakes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:28:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#11]
Someone posted this in general, on sale for $550 shipped.

https://shooterschoicesc.coreware.com/product/gar-010-02618-10-xero-c1-chronograph-100-5000-fps

I'm not familiar with the company, so make sure the website is legit and doesn't use Zelle/Venmo for payment.

Took mine to the range again last week. The only shot it missed was when the brake blew it sideways and it was pointing at a 45 degree angle.

Has anyone tested how far back you can put the unit and it still work? I'm curious if I can put it behind the bipod and it still be accurate? It would be at least 18" from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:43:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gman82001] [#12]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Someone posted this in general, on sale for $550 shipped.

https://shooterschoicesc.coreware.com/product/gar-010-02618-10-xero-c1-chronograph-100-5000-fps

I'm not familiar with the company, so make sure the website is legit and doesn't use Zelle/Venmo for payment.

Took mine to the range again last week. The only shot it missed was when the brake blew it sideways and it was pointing at a 45 degree angle.

Has anyone tested how far back you can put the unit and it still work? I'm curious if I can put it behind the bipod and it still be accurate? It would be at least 18" from the muzzle.
View Quote
Everything I've shot off the bench is somewhere between magwell and end of the stock with the barrel still well beyond that

pretty much like this even on the bench Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI, there is a software update that address one of the issues folks have. It disable updates during a session.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Still need to get mine to the range. I did sit in the back yard with the BB gun and did some pop can plinking with an old pump master. Works great. Needs about 2 seconds between shots. I can see future updates for expanded model lines being faster read versions, that would likely need larger battery for more processing power. O have a few handheld garmin gps units. My biggest complaint is the lack of processor speed. I know they do it for battery life and weight reasons.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Got mine yesterday and took it out. Setup couldn't be any easier. What I really like is that fact that it's not complicated. It's a chronograph and nothing more. Select pistol, rifle, airgun, bow. Select velocity range and bullet weight and you're up and going. We were at the range later in the afternoon around 6:30 and the sun was hidden behind the berms and it was starting to get dark. It picked up every single shot.

Pair it to your phone via the app and you can review everything.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Get THIS case from Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#17]
3D printed my arca rail mount today!

I have about $25 in the mount.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Found the file on printables. If one of yall designed it, send me a PM and I'll PayPal/Venmo you some beer money. Saved me $165 on the area419 mount.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I got mine today from Primary Arms. They offer a nice discount for MIL and LEO.

I've been using a Magnetospeed for years and can't wait to start using the Garmin.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#19]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20240325_191034_jpg-3169431.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20240325_191045_jpg-3169432.JPG

Found the file on printables. If one of yall designed it, send me a PM and I'll PayPal/Venmo you some beer money. Saved me $165 on the area419 mount.
View Quote

@drfroglegs

link?  I need to do this.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:18:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#20]
Originally Posted By MkTwain:

@drfroglegs

link?  I need to do this.  

View Quote

@MkTwain

Print the generic 3" one, the one in the picture is 4" and it was too big. I reprinted the 3" one and it's perfect.

https://www.printables.com/model/681310-garmin-xero-c1-arm/remixes

Buy this (or source locally)

https://a.co/d/gKo6AuE

https://a.co/d/aUTUGII

https://a.co/d/hLnSrSm
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't know if it was added in the last software update, but there is a bulk export now, which is great.  It sends one file with a session each on different tabs.

Now just need bulk delete on the phone app...
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you really want to be putting that shock impulse into your electronics every time you pull the trigger?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Do you really want to be putting that shock impulse into your electronics every time you pull the trigger?
View Quote

Garmin doesn't recommend it, but on several other sites there are guys that have put many rounds downrange with no failures yet. So the Garmin unit seems pretty sturdy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Garmin doesn't recommend it, but on several other sites there are guys that have put many rounds downrange with no failures yet. So the Garmin unit seems pretty sturdy.
View Quote

Seems like you are doing impulse endurance testing.  Will it void the warranty?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#25]

@MkTwain

Print the generic 3" one, the one in the picture is 4" and it was too big. I reprinted the 3" one and it's perfect.

https://www.printables.com/model/681310-garmin-xero-c1-arm/remixes

Buy this (or source locally)

https://a.co/d/gKo6AuE

https://a.co/d/aUTUGII

https://a.co/d/hLnSrSm
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GunsNotPuns:
I just found out about this today.

Scroll down to Settings and go to "About". Hit OK five times and it will present you with developer's options. One of them is "Show Distance Tracked".

Could be useful to some....
View Quote

Neat!   I did not know that.

One step closer to getting the track table of readings going out to that distance, let's hope...
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It doesn't look like their warranty speaks to it directly, but I wonder if this constitutes "damage caused by... abuse, misuse..." which is excluded in their warranty.

What really makes me think twice, though, is that the warranty is only 1 year.  If you start inducing shock-based wear on the electronics, you may reduce the expected life of the device substantially, even if it doesn't fail within that year.

I may hold off on using it mounted (just ordered one yesterday) until I see other people's one-year reviews...
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#28]
Received my birthday Garmin, thanks honey, Monday. Have shot 3 sessions over it.

Very intuitive.
Easy setup.
No interference from shooters next to me.
Captured every shot.
End session and the data is on my phone right away. No “connecting.”
Footprint is perfect. Unit and tripod fit in an old rangefinder case.
Ran it on a neighbor shooting 22subs. Didn’t miss a shot.

I am very happy to have this in my tool box.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:55:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#29]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20240325_191034_jpg-3169431.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20240325_191045_jpg-3169432.JPG

View Quote

Not to bad considering. Just wonder how well the plastic will hold up versus -

180mm Nodal Slide DNR-180 Dual Dovetail Macro Rail & Clamp Arca Compatible $24.95

After tax it's $27 shipped with Prime. I've got several thousands shots on mine with zero issues.

ETA: Area 419 is a rip off..
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By m411b30:

180mm Nodal Slide DNR-180 Dual Dovetail Macro Rail & Clamp Arca Compatible $24.95

After tax it's $27 shipped with Prime. I've got several thousands shots on mine with zero issues.

View Quote

That's pretty neat. Didn't know that existed. That's definitely the cheapest option. The 3D printed one is a little more custom (nice cutout for the garmin) but I doubt that makes any real difference.

I wouldnt worry about it being plastic, I printed with PETG so I would be shocked if it breaks under normal use.

If it does, I'll definitely buy this one though. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

That's rather compelling.  But now that I'm thinking about the whole idea of shock impact, I'm thinking printing in plastic may be the safer option as it provides more flex.

Still not sure if that's enough to avoid damaging the electronics over time, though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:21:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#32]
What is the benefit of mounting it on the rifle as opposed to free-standing alongside?

Someone should send Garmin an email and ask if use while mounted constitutes "abuse" under the warranty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the benefit of mounting it on the rifle as opposed to free-standing alongside?

Someone should send Garmin an email and ask if use while mounted constitutes "abuse" under the warranty.
View Quote

If you only ever shoot prone or from a bench, sure, put it alongside.

If you shoot matches and want your data, having it mounted allows you to do that while shooting barricades or at other non-bench positions. Shooting from a bench is boring and getting more data is never bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#35]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

What would you do with the information from your chronograph in the middle of a match? That seems like overkill.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:

If you shoot matches and want your data, having it mounted allows you to do that while shooting barricades or at other non-bench positions. Shooting from a bench is boring and getting more data is never bad.

What would you do with the information from your chronograph in the middle of a match? That seems like overkill.

Actually, I've been shooting at a PRS range lately (just prone for me), and there is value.  Ammo variation and day variation can give a decent amount of MV variation.  Running a Chrono right there can help you trim up that 700 yard shot onto that 10" gong and increase the odd of first-shot connect.  Everyone is running a ballistics calculator every stage, and trimming up wind, Temp, MV, etc the whole time.

now that I have the Xero, I plan an also getting more aggressive about tracking first/cold shot MV vs mid-string MV.  Again, to have more confidence that I can drop down with a cold gun and connect at 650 yards on that first shot, and then connect that little 5" gong at 400 yards on my second shot which may always have a different MV than the first cold shot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:

In the middle of a match? Probably nothing. It’s the data collected during the match that is of interest to me.

I live at 5,600’. I do a lot of shooting for load development at a range that’s nearly at 10,000’. If I go to a match in the Midwest at 1,200’, I’d like to have that data to build better dope. What about temp differences and how my loads handle that? If you aren’t constantly gathering data you can’t build a large enough dataset. If you are always able to gather that data, you get insights into things like how temp and altitude might play a role in your dope book.

Perhaps there are other things we will find as a community with an abundance of data. We find that all the time in software engineering - how you think something behaves with X amount of data completely changes when you have X^3 data.

I’ve been recording nearly every shot I’ve taken since getting this chrono. With a mount it can be every shot. Some of the data above is useful and maybe I’ll find a use for more once I have it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thenning] [#37]

View Quote

I picked up a similar, but shorter one, for when I get mine. $20 + tax.  The level pops out, and the hole is threaded.
Amazon Product
  • \u3010PROFESSIONAL RAIL NODAL SLIDE\u3011-Multi-purpose rail nodal slide dual dovetails clamp with standard screw-knob clamp.You can slide the camera by the rail nodal in and out without moving the tripod. Which can realize the maximization of seamless stitching of panoramic photography.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y43116P
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I figured the people mounting them to their guns must just have eff you money and not care if they break.
Maybe they can take it, I don't know, but I don't want to be the first guy to figure out exactly how much recoil they can handle.

Also I'd wonder about its accuracy under recoil.  If I move mine during a session, it pops up a "motion detected" message, which I assume means it isn't happy and wants to be still.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:06:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MkTwain] [#39]
@drfroglegs

how are you attaching the clamp to the gun?  The sides of the clamp are way too far apart for picatinny.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#40]
@drfroglegs

how are you attaching the clamp to the gun?  The sides of the clamp are way too far apart for picatinny.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/186387/IMG_5649_jpeg-3176135.JPG
View Quote

That mount is for ARCA rail. You have a picatinny rail on the rifle. You need a picatinny to ARCA adapter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:08:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#41]

View Quote

Easier than setting up two tripods.

I haven't had an issue with it mounted on the rifle, everyone I know has never had an issue with them mounted to a rifle.  I'll continue to use it that way.  If it breaks, it breaks.  Its by far the cheapest electronic item I have on my rifle.

Why email them?  It's covered right on their website.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=NP1GdAXJK30GVfWq1an0k8

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#42]
@drfroglegs

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/186387/IMG_5649_jpeg-3176135.JPG
View Quote

A few manufacturers make those clamps that will attach to both Arca and Picatinny.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#43]

That mount is for ARCA rail. You have a picatinny rail on the rifle. You need a picatinny to ARCA adapter.
View Quote

I guess I overlooked that.  I'll send it back and get a picatinny adapter and custome print my own extension.  I was just thinking here's an easy cheap solution.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I like mine,  but it picks up other people's shots shooting pistol.  Would think it could notice a round going 400fps slower and filter it.  You can manually exclude shots however.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#45]
"... Garmin did not specifically design or test the use of this product to be mounted to a rifle, ... Garmin does not warranty the product when used in a manner outside of the design content."

To me, that means it is not covered under the warranty.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Aerospace_Money:
I like mine,  but it picks up other people's shots shooting pistol.  Would think it could notice a round going 400fps slower and filter it.  You can manually exclude shots however.
View Quote

I usually use mine on rifles, but noticed while checking MV on some pistol hand loads that I was picking up other's shots.  It made me think about the difference, since I hadn't observed this on an indoor 50 yard rifle range, but did on an indoor 25 yard pistol range.  The only thing I could come up with is that people shooting rifles do a better job of keeping the projectiles in their lane.  People shooting pistols frequently have their targets 7 yards out, and the bullet path over 25 yards can end up in your lane.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Getting more strings on my C1, and it's almost boring how utterly reliable it is. Gone are the days of the surprise whether the shot registered or not...
View Quote

Man, go look at Gunbroker and in our EE for LabRadar.  It's just brutal.

On the positive side, if you want a radar based chrono that's clunky and sometimes works but in-hand for $250 with all the accessories that someone spent close to $800 all-in, now's the time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:00:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#49]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Man, go look at Gunbroker and in our EE for LabRadar.  It's just brutal.

On the positive side, if you want a radar based chrono that's clunky and sometimes works but in-hand for $250 with all the accessories that someone spent close to $800 all-in, now's the time.
View Quote

I get it. But why bother yourself with a Cheby when you can have a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I just tested the multiple session export option. Seemed to work okay. It creates one document with multiple sheets. Would be nice if all one sheet or have the option, but it's workable.

One glitch. My exports all have a SD of 0.0.

For example,

AVERAGE SPEED2515.8
AVERAGE POWER FACTOR422.7
STD DEV0.0
SPREAD15.2
Projectile Weight (GRAINS)168.0

For that session, the SD was actually 5.0
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top