I ordered on 10/24 @ approx 5:45 PM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Originally Posted By phdog:
Got the ship notice for my order from Pew Pew Solutions. Should be here tomorrow, hoping to test it out this weekend.

When did you order? Curious where I am in the queue.

@Firefly1032 I’m curious to know as well. I’m taking some time off next week and plan to do some shooting, I’d really like to have mine before then.

Man I must have just missed the last batch, I ordered at 8:15 pm on 10/24 and I just got an email saying that mine won't ship till after Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By gunner_freeman:

Man I must have just missed the last batch, I ordered at 8:15 pm on 10/24 and I just got an email saying that mine won't ship till after Christmas.
View All Quotes
Got the ship notice for my order from Pew Pew Solutions. Should be here tomorrow, hoping to test it out this weekend.

@Firefly1032 I’m curious to know as well. I’m taking some time off next week and plan to do some shooting, I’d really like to have mine before then.

Yeah I know it got posted to a few places so I imagine they got hammered.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

Thanks for the update.

I was about 12hrs after you and got the same email.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#4]
So I got mine this evening and just opened the box, hit a few buttons and took a shot with the suppressed 22 with some standard velocity CCI.  

We have about 4" of snow right now, so I just opened the back door and literally held the Xero under the barrel pointed at the tree 30 yards away and pulled the trigger.  

The shell is in the dining room somewhere....but the Xero pick up the shot 937fps.  I don't know that it means much, but it was also dark out.

Pretty cool
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
It is hilarious that in the space of about 6 months Garmin will have eaten all of LabRadar's market share and much of MagnetoSpeeds.

In another year no one will even remember LabRadar existed.
View Quote

LabRadar as a company was doomed the instant the first competitor came along. I'm just surprised it took so long.

It's what happens when you spend years resting on your laurels, failing to improve your product, failing to fix software problems, and ignoring your customers. The LabRadar app/Bluetooth issues were absurd. No fixes, no communication, barely ever even an acknowledgement of the issue. Horrendously awful interface - I mean it ought to be a bad UI case study in engineering and comp sci courses.

Even so ... it was far superior to chronos you had to shoot through or over, or had to bolt onto your gun. The flaws were acceptable.

My current gripe with my LabRadar is that it's fragile. It's been blown over and been bumped and dropped short distances a few times. I know I know, I should be more careful. I haven't abused mine, but it's a tool I use outside, and some degree of wear and tear is expected and ought to be survivable.

I think mine might be done, as of this afternoon. Tipped over again, and once again, there's something rattling around inside. I'll open it up and try to repair it (again) but at some point I suspect it'll be replaced with a Garmin.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
We had an early Christmas due to family availability for the holidays and found out that I am getting a new the Garmin for Christmas.  So, selling the barely used Labradar.  I have the archery and also the kinetic trigger for the Labradar.  Are these compatible with the Garmin or does the Garmin not even have a port to use them?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI they are back in stock at Cabelas.

I finally got my order in. Missed the last batch by a few hours. Had it in my cart but was waiting on the points I got from work to convert to the Cabelas gift cards. When they finally came through it was out of stock.

Today was able to get my order in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By memsu:
FYI they are back in stock at Cabelas.

I finally got my order in. Missed the last batch by a few hours. Had it in my cart but was waiting on the points I got from work to convert to the Cabelas gift cards. When they finally came through it was out of stock.

Today was able to get my order in.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up and Merry Christmas. Got one ordered and shows it should be delivered Jan 2-4.

Also noticed the Military / First Responder discount at the bottom of the page, figured why not. Saved $60. Can’t wait to get this and send the old Chrony down the trail
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I got out early to go test the Garmin Xero-1 this moring.  Works as avertised, and was super easy to use and caught all my shots (except for one which I forgot to hit the OK button to start the series.)

Once you start shooting it keeps the shots and then when you hit "end session" it syncs with your cell phone and the data is displayed.  I found it helpful you can add notes to the group, I added the powder charge note to each series and I didnt have to keep manual notes.        

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gasdoc09:

LabRadar as a company was doomed the instant the first competitor came along. I'm just surprised it took so long.

It's what happens when you spend years resting on your laurels, failing to improve your product, failing to fix software problems, and ignoring your customers. The LabRadar app/Bluetooth issues were absurd. No fixes, no communication, barely ever even an acknowledgement of the issue. Horrendously awful interface - I mean it ought to be a bad UI case study in engineering and comp sci courses.

Even so ... it was far superior to chronos you had to shoot through or over, or had to bolt onto your gun. The flaws were acceptable.

My current gripe with my LabRadar is that it's fragile. It's been blown over and been bumped and dropped short distances a few times. I know I know, I should be more careful. I haven't abused mine, but it's a tool I use outside, and some degree of wear and tear is expected and ought to be survivable.

I think mine might be done, as of this afternoon. Tipped over again, and once again, there's something rattling around inside. I'll open it up and try to repair it (again) but at some point I suspect it'll be replaced with a Garmin.
View Quote

I sold my labradar (thank God) and have ordered a garmin.

Got to test out the garmin last weekend and was blown away with how small it is and how easy it is to setup and use.

Those who have the garmin and want a hard case, I ran accross this review on Amazon so I ordered one. Looks like a great fit for $7!

GLCON Portable Protection Hard EVA Case for External Battery,Cell Phone,GPS,Hard Drive,USB Charging Cable,Carrying Bag Mesh Inner Pocket,Zipper Enclosure,Durable Exterior,Universal Travel Pouch Bag

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]

What is the red hard case? I am using a Pelican 1200 at the moment but one of the benefits of the Garmin to me is its portability, and I would like to take better advantage of that with a smaller case.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

What is the red hard case? I am using a Pelican 1200 at the moment but one of the benefits of the Garmin to me is its portability, and I would like to take better advantage of that with a smaller case.
View Quote

It's a 1040. I've had it for a while and use the same for 22LR inserts.

This soft case also fits.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#14]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
It is hilarious that in the space of about 6 months Garmin will have eaten all of LabRadar's market share and much of MagnetoSpeeds.

In another year no one will even remember LabRadar existed.

Pretty much this.  I was going to hang on to my LabRadar, but finally realized I'm a heavy user, and my LabRadar has seen a very hard life.  Dropped more times than I can count, opened up and rebuilt the innards a few times, and plenty of wear.  I sold it for half what it's worth, and just applied that to a Garmin.  I might miss the ability to back out BC's, but in practice, the resolution of the data was such that the BC's calculated quality was never very good, or in very good agreement with publications.  And due to the wide variability of estimated BC over a string of shots, I never really had enough confidence in the measures BC's vs the published ones, just from the LabRadar anyway.  While in general it was excellent, it had curious nuances.  LIke it'd give you 50 yard traces for shots taken in 26 yard bays with berms.  So tell me about that velocity at 40 yards when the bullet impacted and stopped at 27 yards?

As to Garmin, I value the easier functionality, much smaller size, and likely ability to serve me well for a very long time.  It's a real consumer-grade product and should be much hardier, not to mention should likely fall over much less and hit much lighter, if it ever does anyway.  The LabRadar was still functional, and likely will be for a long time in the hands of someone who treats it with great care and only uses it a few times here and there.  Which is not me; my stuff works for me, I don't work for it.  And I was looking at it thinking - "this is going to suck when this thing eventually does break and stops working - and I'll be out all $600 at that time."  That, and I will be surprised if LabRadar doesn't go out of business in about 2 years.  They really did a REMARKABLE job developing and commercializing that amazing Gen 1 rig.  And then they just quit and walked away.  I swear, I think this is some retiree's cottage industry product - and one I'd be AMAZINGLY proud of, if it were me - and then he just died or got bored or whatever, and his kids just took it over and kept the 3rd party outsourced production lines going.  No idea if any of that is true, I completely made it up, but that's exactly what it looks like. After pulling my LabRadar apart multiple times, the margin on that thing must have been fantastic.  These guys could have been the dominant player in this game for decades; all they had to do was try.  They did not.   Like a said, I expect them to be gone in about 2 years.

So, I took advantage of the brief Dec 25th afternoon window where it was posted Cabella's has some, and ordered one.  Now listed as sold out, so who knows when it'll actually arrive!  Of course later that day they post coupons and stuff, so I probably could have gotten it less than the $650 with tax I paid... so that sucks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#15]
Going to dedicate an old smartphone to the device woth the ShotView App.  

But well-shit.  The App will only install on the latest phones, nothing old.  That sucks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

I sold my labradar (thank God) and have ordered a garmin.

Got to test out the garmin last weekend and was blown away with how small it is and how easy it is to setup and use.

Those who have the garmin and want a hard case, I ran accross this review on Amazon so I ordered one. Looks like a great fit for $7!

GLCON Portable Protection Hard EVA Case for External Battery,Cell Phone,GPS,Hard Drive,USB Charging Cable,Carrying Bag Mesh Inner Pocket,Zipper Enclosure,Durable Exterior,Universal Travel Pouch Bag

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20231225_211140_Amazon_Shoppi-3071517.JPG
View Quote

Looks like the same case that came with my GoPro.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Garmin probably started down these shooting and archery projects that they have when they realized that handheld GPS is getting shredded by smartphones with Gaia or OnX.
View Quote

If my personal Garmin use is any indicator, handheld use (offroad) has not been dampened. What a phone has cut into is automotive use on the road. About the only time i actually my Garmin car units is on longer road trips.

The reliability of their products is a two edged sword, though in regard to longterm replacement sales. In other words, if you make something too good, folks won't upgrade later. An example is my first Garmin Nuvi 200. The internal battery barely holds any charge, but i can plug it in and it still navigates. My oldest handheld is a 60csx. It still works great. I only use my Etrex 20 more because it is tiny and less weight. The only reasons that had me upgrade from the ancient 60csx.

This new chrono has my attention because of who made it. I've never been happy with my ProChrono box kite. It reads when it feels like it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
It's physically small (packing and storage).

It's easy to set up (range time).

It's reliable.

It's Christmas.  
View Quote

Please shut up...like please.

I already blew the bottom out of my Christmas spending purse and i think i have a 10% off placard from Bass Pro somewhere. If i recall, it's good to Jan 7th, so shut up. Like really shut up...plz shut...It...

(Me wondering what i could sell now)
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:57:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#19]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

I already blew the bottom out of my Christmas spending purse and i think i have a 10% off placard from Bass Pro somewhere. If i recall, it's good to Jan 7th, so shut up. Like really shut up...plz shut...It...

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
It's physically small (packing and storage).

It's easy to set up (range time).

It's reliable.

It's Christmas.  

I dumped my LabRadar for $300.  It was a tore up ugly unit beat to Hell with Lord only knows how much life left, but did work.  All disclosed in the posting.

It sold in 30 seconds.  Like, for real.
Clearly I underpriced it.

Post it for $400 + shipping and I bet it goes by end of day
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a Secret Data mode on the Garmin, to get the full trace data?  I know there's nothing advertised, but it has to do the trace to get enough data to get the MV, it's how they work.  So is there an upublished Developer mode code or whatever, to access and get that?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#21]
Took the Garmin out this morning and found a complaint.  Using the Labrador I could set it up and not touch it the rest of the time using the app.  With the Garmin I'm reaching over and starting and stopping series.

Some of this will matter less if you shoot longer series, but I was doing some load development with three shot groups and had 8 series. So to arm you have to hit the OK button 4 times...if you don't you will miss a shot...lol...do your shooting, then you have to kit ok, then the up arrow to select end session, click ok.

The nice thing is its much less picky on placement and picks up all the shots.

So on my wish list would to be able to start/stop series and arm/disarm through the app with ever having to touch the unit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
Took the Garmin out this morning and found a complaint.  Using the Labrador I could set it up and not touch it the rest of the time using the app.  With the Garmin I'm reaching over and starting and stopping series.

Some of this will matter less if you shoot longer series, but I was doing some load development with three shot groups and had 8 series.  Also to arm you have to hit the OK button like 4 times...if you don't you will miss a shot...

The nice thing is its much less picky on placement and picks up all the shots.

So on my wish list would to be able to start/stop series and arm/disarm through the app with ever having to touch the unit.
View Quote

You can't do that via the App?  That sucks. They need to fix that.

If it makes you feel better, it's still non worse than LabRadar, where you had to touch the LabRadar every 4th string or so to allow the App to reconnect again
Amd again.  And again.  And...
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
My Garmin C1 was delivered around lunch time today, so I grabbed stuff and went to the range for a while.

Seems like we are stuck on repeat in this thread, because all I can say is this chrono is awesome and stupid easy to use

I did experience a weird thing when I first started a session - two ghost readings. I started the session and was still setting up the rifle when the Garmin recorded two shots at over 5000fps each. No idea what triggered those and never happened again throughout multiple new sessions. There was no one within several benches of me.

I also had a problem with syncing to my phone when I got home. Not sure if it was my phone or the Garmin, but on the first setup attempt it paired (per the app) but wouldn't show as connected so couldn't sync. Second and third attempts failed so I turned off connectivity on the Garmin and rebooted my phone. Went through pairing again and it connected and began syncing so all good.

I ended the day with 9 total sessions:
three .223 loads
three .308 loads
three 9mm loads

No missed shots with the rifles, but a few missed shots with the pistol that were my fault - shooting too fast (plate rack), and again when I intentionally turned and shot a target almost 45 degrees from where the Garmin was pointed (straight downrange).

I love how simple this is to use, and will be taking it on every range trip now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone figured out how to...
Pause your Current session
Start a new session (without ending the paused one)
Then restarting the paused one to add more shots?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Designed a sun shade for the Garmin Xero C1.

Haven't even used it at the range yet, but saw another design and thought I'd give it a try myself. I could see it being useful under certain conditions. I'll print the actual one in black most likely.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#26]
Originally Posted By memsu:
Designed a sun shade for the Garmin Xero C1.

Haven't even used it at the range yet, but saw another design and thought I'd give it a try myself. I could see it being useful under certain conditions. I'll print the actual one in black most likely.

https://i.imgur.com/5h3jxVU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hF9wQs7.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

Edited by OP to remove improper comment.

Remember no Want To Buys, or sales in forum posts.

Use IM's for that. dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:25:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clovis_Chitwood] [#27]
just got a instock notification from eurooptic.com if anybody is looking for one
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Clovis_Chitwood:
just got a instock notification from eurooptic.com if anybody is looking for one
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cardplayer] [#30]
They are here in stock with a 20.00 discount code.
Walls

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tommyd11730:
View Quote

I would be curious to see how to do this as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#32]
For my Canadian brothers and sisters, I found a hard-ish case on Amazon.ca that seems to be equivalent to the one on US Amazon that someone posted earlier. Judging by the measurements it seems to have the same capacity and if a dollar off coupon is showing up when you click on the link, it's $13.99.

You can find it here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Tug153:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tug153:
Originally Posted By Tommyd11730:

I sent this suggestion to Garmin.

If enough of us do it maybe they will add it in a firmware update.

Scroll to the bottom and select email. I put "donotknow" as my serial number and it worked, so you don't have to have the serial number handy.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?contactOverride=true&productID=771164&tab=topics
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I always thought since it was a Garmin, It should give us a GPS location of each shot taken.

Would be an interesting function to do that though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:54:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyEgo] [#35]
Figured I'd add my short and sweet observations from my first range session with the Xero today:

Fairly crowded indoor range, and if there were truly five feet between me and the guys on either side of me, I'd be astounded.  I ran some home brew 9mm through a couple of guns of assorted barrel length, with the target at the recommended 20 yard line.  I had to consciously adjust my timing to not overdrive the speed of the unit, but once I figured out the appropriate internal Mississippi count, I started picking up almost every shot.

After 20 yards, I moved my target in to 12 yards.  The unit did not seem to have much difficulty picking up my shots, with a caveat.  One of the guys next to me was shooting at 5 yards, and he was hammering through the mags.  The Garmin would identify his shots and 'Analyze' them.  But it was smart enough to consistently exclude his shots from the count.  What did happen is that if I was shooting and he picked back up again, sometimes the Garmin would be 'Analyzing' and dropping his shot instead of recording mine.  But still, I was mighty impressed that it was smart enough to reject his shots at such close proximity.  On my last go-round, I moved my target in to 10 yards, and the Garmin did not appear to have any difficulty picking up the shots.  All velocities were consistent across all ranges as well.  This is definitely not what Garmin advises in any way about target position, but it certainly was able to do much closer than the manual suggested without issue today.

All in all, I deeply love this thing.  It was -5° today, but not inside the indoor range, which is why I am a member.  However, a consequence is that I never end up chrono'ing loads in the winter.  I drag my LabRadar along with me every time I do an outdoor shoot, but that cuts out about 4 months of the year for me because I don't like being cold.  And the LabRadar was way too cumbersome for me to want to haul it into the indoor range.  Now I can chrono my loads indoors all winter long with minimal effort.

I don't plan to sell the LabRadar; it still has more utility value for me then the money I'd get for it on the market right now.  And I like the multiple down-range velocity returns.  But the Xero is worth every penny I spent on it, in one range session.  

Also, I really like the small Pelican case approach, and I may have to pick one up.  For now, I just throw mine in an old pouch for a laptop mouse that turns out to fit it perfectly.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Or does it have wifi or bluetooth capability? Seems odd that it would randomly ask if you wanted to download an update if it's not being told by Garmin HQ that there's an update available.

ETA: it says it has bluetooth and a phone or tablet-based app. I'm guessing if you have the app and the chrono is bluetoothing with your phone it can learn about updates over the air.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:
I've used it inside with no issues.  The problem with the update has nothing to do with inside vs outside.  When you want to chronograph something, within the menu you start a shooting session.  You can pause it to use less battery life if you stop shooting for a few minutes, or you can end it if you are done.  The update problem is that while you are in a shooting session, it prompts you to update and waits for a response.  If you're focused on the target, you may not notice it, and miss readings.  It's not a major issue, just a nuisance.  Since it is new, I suppose there are more updates.  Hopefully, they will modify the update functionality to not prompt you, while you are in a shooting session.

That would be a PITA to have pop up in the middle of a session.

Does the Garmin hard wire to a PC to update or is there an SD card?

Or does it have wifi or bluetooth capability? Seems odd that it would randomly ask if you wanted to download an update if it's not being told by Garmin HQ that there's an update available.

ETA: it says it has bluetooth and a phone or tablet-based app. I'm guessing if you have the app and the chrono is bluetoothing with your phone it can learn about updates over the air.

Turn on iPhone Low Data Mode to prevent OTA updates
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#37]
I have 4 nitpicks with the Garmin - none of which are deal killers.

1) Price.  Come on guys, same price as a LabRadar was almost 10 years ago, for something obviously much  MUCH more streamline produced in bulk with a professional companies supply chain and contract systems?  I get making a profit, but wow.  You did include a tripod, which is cool.  A protective case would have been cool too.
2) App interface - is terrible.  You can't actually run the device from the App, it's a primitive interface really - yet requires the absolute latest phone to work.  It won't even try on something more than 2 years old.  Only reason to bother with the App is that's the only way to update the device.
3) Lack of data traces.  I get this is a consumer product so simple is king - but really, there's no advanced mode or secret advanced mode, to get and recover the trace data?  You had to collect trace data to work, so we know you had it.
4) limited memory space.  Seriously, it's 2024 and a $600 product.  It would cost nothing to have enough memory in there to store every single shot ever run on the thing for 10 years at a machine-gun range.

That's about it.  I bought one and would happily buy one again; but if I had to nit-pick, that would be it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#38]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

1) Price.  Come on guys, same price as a LabRadar was almost 10 years ago, for something obviously much  MUCH more streamline produced in bulk with a professional companies supply chain and contract systems?  I get making a profit, but wow.  You did include a tripod, which is cool.  A protective case would have been cool too.
2) App interface - is terrible.  You can't actually run the device from the App, it's a primitive interface really - yet requires the absolute latest phone to work.  It won't even try on something more than 2 years old.  Only reason to bother with the App is that's the only way to update the device.
3) Lack of data traces.  I get this is a consumer product so simple is king - but really, there's no advanced more or secret advanced mode, to get and recover the trace data?  You had to collect trace data to work, so we know you had it.
4) limited memory space.  Seriously, it's 2024 and a $600 product.  It would cost nothing to have enough memory in there to store every single shot ever run on the thing for 10 years at a machine-gun range.

That's about it.  I bought one and would happily buy one again; but if I had to nit-pick, that would be it.
View Quote

1) it’s 2024, everything is expensive. I think $600 or less is a bargain for what it offers. I think I paid about $200 for my shooting Chrony 15yrs ago, that’s the equivalent of 10,000 primers at the time. The Garmin now costs ~6,000 primers. See barging.

2) Lame but easily fixed. Maybe given the success of the xero they will be motivated to throw some more money at the app.

3) because it’s already there it wouldn’t take much to make it user available but unless you are the one guy trying to determine a BC for a wildcat muzzle loaders  it’s not really useful for 99.99% of shooters.

4) you already complained about the price, now you want more features?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Does this require the latest and greatest iPhone?   Does it not work through a tablet or laptop?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Does this require the latest and greatest iPhone?   Does it not work through a tablet or laptop?
View Quote

Depends.  It will work on an S21 phone, but it won't work on one that's 4 years old, or Galaxy tablet that's 5 years old, or any Kindle fire.  If you are like me, you have those older devices hanging around, and functionally they are fine; touch screen, bluetooth, etc, and work great as a dedicated field- interface system.  In fact, that's much preferred than your latest $1000 phone that's your primary that you depend on.  A beater old device is perfect, and I use an old Kindle Fire for LabRadar and an old Galaxy 2017 tablet, for pairing up with a shotmarker.  As they get coated in dust and blasted on, don't really care if they get damaged.  Annoying when you are forced to use your primary phone.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#41]

1) it’s 2024, everything is expensive. I think $600 or less is a bargain for what it offers. I think I paid about $200 for my shooting Chrony 15yrs ago, that’s the equivalent of 10,000 primers at the time. The Garmin now costs ~6,000 primers. See barging.

2) Lame but easily fixed. Maybe given the success of the xero they will be motivated to throw some more money at the app.

3) because it’s already there it wouldn’t take much to make it user available but unless you are the one guy trying to determine a BC for a wildcat muzzle loaders  it’s not really useful for 99.99% of shooters.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

3) Lack of data traces.  I get this is a consumer product so simple is king - but really, there's no advanced more or secret advanced mode, to get and recover the trace data?  You had to collect trace data to work, so we know you had it.

For number 2 I wouldn’t hold my breath. Their GPS units are something from the windows 2k era.  Definitely functional, but they are very clunky and not exactly feature packed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#42]
These are in stock at Cabelas, and if you are military you can get the discount through the website and also free shipping. Out the door cost for me was 587.51 (high Washington taxes).
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Mine just arrived yesterday. With snow and sub freezing temps, I haven't made a proper range trip to test it out with center-fire.

I took it out to the yard and did some stump shooting with 12 ga. It managed to pick up 3/5 shots. One missed shot was user error, it seems you have to acknowledge and dismiss the position reminder, or turn that off in pro settings. It did not register one of the other shots. There is no shotgun mode, which is probably fine for everyone, I was just making sure this thing worked on something. For mode, I selected Other > 1000 fps.

After that, I selected pistol mode > 1000 fps. I popped off 6 shots of 9mm on a Glock 43. I don't know if alignment or positioning was off but it did not register a single shot. Maybe my ammo selection and compact barrel results in < 1000 fps. I think it was probably bad alignment or positioning. Looking forward to testing it with rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#44]
The more I use it, the more I love it...

Decided I wanted to test some loads this afternoon. It took me longer to get settled behind the rifle than it did to set up the chrono....crazy...didn't miss a shot!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By atompngn:

I took it out to the yard and did some stump shooting with 12 ga. It managed to pick up 3/5 shots. One missed shot was user error, it seems you have to acknowledge and dismiss the position reminder, or turn that off in pro settings. It did not register one of the other shots. There is no shotgun mode, which is probably fine for everyone, I was just making sure this thing worked on something. For mode, I selected Other > 1000 fps.

After that, I selected pistol mode > 1000 fps. I popped off 6 shots of 9mm on a Glock 43. I don't know if alignment or positioning was off but it did not register a single shot. Maybe my ammo selection and compact barrel results in < 1000 fps. I think it was probably bad alignment or positioning. Looking forward to testing it with rifle.
View Quote

How far away were you from any berm or backstop?

The manual recommends 20 yards minimum.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:47:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 20andOUT] [#46]
Is there a consensus on the best case for these?

I think I pulled this one from this thread and was going to order it, but wanted to see if there is a better option.  I plan for the Garmin to live in my shooting bag for weekly trips so i want a little protection, but I won’t abuse it either.

LINK
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought the small harbor freight Apache case cheap because of the member discount. There's enough room to leave the tripod on but I didn't. I may also make a slot for a battery brick just in case I forget to charge it or end up needing a boost

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#48]
I just use one of these, 4-pack for $18

Amazon Product
  • \u3010Package List\u30114 x tactical molle pouch, 4 x detachable patch and 4 x D-ring Clip

Fits perfectly

Though I'll probably upgrade to something hard-sided to better protect my $600 item.   Most of those are bigger and bulkier than I want.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#49]
Originally Posted By 20andOUT:
Is there a consensus on the best case for these?

I think I pulled this one from this thread and was going to order it, but wanted to see if there is a better option.  I plan for the Garmin to live in my shooting bag for weekly trips so i want a little protection, but I won’t abuse it either.

LINK
View Quote

I use the same case, I can throw it right into my range bag. If I want something more secure, I use a Pelican 1040.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Product of the Year!

Is The Garmin Xero C1 Best Chronograph

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top