Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#3]
And, yet again, they can pound sand

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Can we get some cliffnotes?

Service is iffy and can’t get the video to stop freezing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can we get some cliffnotes?

Service is iffy and can't get the video to stop freezing.
View Quote

ATF is very very worried about the safety of first responders, so you'll have to report your powder stash to the local authorities.

Actually they just want to know who has a powder stash. For reasons.

If it becomes a regulation I wonder if it would be a way for your homeowner's insurance company to wiggle out of a fire claim if you hadn't done the required reporting.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I glanced through it and see a lot of talk about explosives but nothing

about smokeless powder.

I guess primers would fall into the explosives catagory, but smokeless powder?
View Quote

Right now, smokeless is not but black powder is.  But do you trust ATF to maintain the classification of smokeless like everything else they are changing?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You are all missing the most important point:

“The person submitting the notification will be required to retain a copy of the written notification for five years and make such notification available for examination or inspection by ATF at all reasonable times.”

So you are now locked into their system for 5 years and they can examine or inspect at will. If we are reporting to the fire department how is the atf going to know to “inspect” us.

FWIW, a good friend just retired from our FD as a Captain and I asked him about powders, primers and ammo. He said it was no big deal. They hear ammo popping off all the time in fires and no one he knew had ever been hurt. He told me if the fire lites off the powder it just burns hot and fast then it’s over.

The atf estimate of 9,674 people is low by a few zeros.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
They can try and justify it however they want, but it is purely a registration scheme.  If you have powder, you likely have guns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
This is A direct result of the ATF's success reclassifing braces.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
If asked why you didn't register, why can't you take the 5th?

Edit to add:  They don't have the right to question you without probable cause so why would this be any different?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Reloading forum, not GD.

The proposed rule discusses explosives, not propellants.  I won't tolerate reporting with half truths here.  I couldn't find any comments regarding propellants in the proposed rule.

View Quote
Except the BATFE considers 'guncotton' and 'smokeless powder' to be explosive materials.

behold (perhaps there is newer, this is the first I got to)

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/general-notice/list-explosive-materials-2013/download

edit: there are other ways it can be covered in the law, as well. All depends on how they choose to look at it that day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Reloading forum, not GD.

The proposed rule discusses explosives, not propellants.  I won't tolerate reporting with half truths here.  I couldn't find any comments regarding propellants in the proposed rule.

View Quote

We might call them "propellants" but the BATFE may not, especially when it comes to primers.

Do you trust the bureaucrats and all individual enforcement officers to maintain such a highly technical distinction?  Personally speaking, I do not.

I also note they never define what an explosive is, nor do they reference an external source which defines what they are.    

If they were NOT considering powder or primers in this, they would specifically exclude them.  A single sentence such as this would do it, "Does not apply to small arms ammunition or to smokeless propellants and primers used in the reloading of small arms ammunition on a non-commercial basis."

Clearly, their work is deliberately broad brush or they are incompetent.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Except the BATFE considers 'guncotton' and 'smokeless powder' to be explosive materials.

behold (perhaps there is newer, this is the first I got to)

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/general-notice/list-explosive-materials-2013/download

edit: there are other ways it can be covered in the law, as well. All depends on how they choose to look at it that day.
View Quote

Black powder substitutes is on the list.  ATF with this admin is changing definitions at will.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking through the list of "explosives", I find both black powder and smokeless powder listed are as explosives.

Their listing of individual chemical compounds, some of which might be used in a smokeless powder, makes this especially difficult to deal with for the non-professional user.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Reloading forum, not GD.

View Quote

I agree about the "half-truths" part of this but it appears you are mistaken thinking this does not apply to every single reloader out there.

Check this document:  
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
[Docket No. 2013R–6T]
Commerce in Explosives; List of Explosives Materials
AGENCY: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF);
Department of Justice.
ACTION: Notice of list of explosives materials.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
It was 1775, dude. Not '74.

Damn! How could he get that wrong?!?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#20]
They know what they are doing. They are making rules way faster than the court system can keep up on the lawsuits that are filed against it. I think GOA or FPC was saying they are running out of people to litigate because there are so many challenges going on right now. With the post Bruen temper tantrum that has been going on, the lack of lawyers who would litigate 2A cases, I wouldn't doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
WTF?

Here is West Virginia, EMS already knows that if someone's garage catches fire, it is best to keep your distance until the black powder kegs detonate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a reloader not an explosives company................... so this doesn't apply to me one bit.
Nor will it ever.

I'll reply to help those in the Explosives field as it's more Govt over reach ..............

But I'm glad I pretty much don't trust any of these types of posts that are full of assumptions and half truths............they are just as bad as the Govt and their posts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking through the list of "explosives", I find both black powder and smokeless powder listed are as explosives.

Their listing of individual chemical compounds, some of which might be used in a smokeless powder, makes this especially difficult to deal with for the non-professional user.
View Quote
black powder has been regulated for several years now. Above a certain amount, seems like you need an fel and a legit bang mag if you want to be compliant.

The listing of 'stuff' is yet another catchall. Might be fine (defined as not fine a bit, but not enforced) today, region might have a one-off incident that someone tells someone hey we need to do something about this, and then suddenly, they want to know.

In addition to holding a state blasters' license, and a federal explosives permit, I was a police bomb technician. I would never want to hurt a fire guy trying to soak my place. But I don't need SARA Title III reporting requirements applied to a seasonal hobby, much MUCH less a few pounds of reloading stuff in an outbuilding.

It's overreach, but they aren't going to care about the process, just the results.

I can make a metric of BP, so, don't really keep up with how hard it is for people to buy real, honest product (most of what is sold to gunners outside of the cannon types is not). They start jacking around with how much IMR you can buy or keep on one hand will start with finding out how much you keep or buy...
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm a reloader not an explosives company................... so this doesn't apply to me one bit.
Nor will it ever.

I'll reply to help those in the Explosives field as it's more Govt over reach ..............

But I'm glad I pretty much don't trust any of these types of posts that are full of assumptions and half truths............they are just as bad as the Govt and their posts.
View Quote
Do you reload with energetics?

Then this could absolutely, positively apply to you. The chemistry of what is in your powder is regulated by ATFE.
The hobby firework makers have always been shit on, and no one cared.
The model rocket people thought just like you. Ask them what life is like now.
The black powder shooters also thought just like you. Ask them too.
Oh - I used to be able to buy dynamite and caps over the counter with just a drivers' license. That was the early 90's.

I am not a reloader. But that proposal sounds to me like if you guys have some fraternal organizations or Big Companies in your constellation, better start sending some strongly worded questions and circle your wagons. (also, if you are storing what you already have haphazardly, shame on you to begin with. Don't give them any ammunition so to speak)
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nor will it ever.  
View Quote

How did you reach this conclusion, if the proposed regulation starts with this?  

I quote from the first sentence of the first paragraph,

"Summary - The Department of Justice is proposing to amend Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (“ATF”) regulations to require that any person who stores explosive materials notify on an annual basis the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such materials are stored."

I can tell you both black powder and smokeless powder are on the BATFE's list of "Explosives".  I looked it up this morning and posted the source, above.

This is intended as an honest question, not just push-back.  If you are aware of some higher level exclusion or other provision that would exempt reloaders, PLEASE let us know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Fur unser sicherheit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#27]
AFT just makes their own laws up as they go.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is the proposed rule change for notifying local fire departments annually about storage of explosive materials.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/08/23/2023-18075/annual-reporting-of-explosive-materials-storage-facilities-to-the-local-fire-authority

The proposed changes are for Title 27, Chapter 2 Subchapter C Part 555 Subpart K   555.201

Now if you look at Title 27 Chapter 2 Subchapter C Part 555 Subpart H   555.141 Exemptions. You will see in subsection (a) (4) Small arms ammunition and components of small arms ammunition are exempt from annual reporting.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-27/chapter-II/subchapter-C/part-555/subpart-H/section-555.141

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Here is the proposed rule change for notifying local fire departments annually about storage of explosive materials.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/08/23/2023-18075/annual-reporting-of-explosive-materials-storage-facilities-to-the-local-fire-authority

The proposed changes are for Title 27, Chapter 2 Subchapter C Part 555 Subpart K   555.201

Now if you look at Title 27 Chapter 2 Subchapter C Part 555 Subpart H   555.141 Exemptions. You will see in subsection (a) (4) Small arms ammunition and components of small arms ammunition are exempt from annual reporting.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-27/chapter-II/subchapter-C/part-555/subpart-H/section-555.141

View Quote

Thank you!

Black powder for sporting uses also exempt. My son is hunting black powder this year.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whew!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for finding that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Glad I could help alleviate some worries.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Your contribution shows this entire thread is based on the false premise that this applies to small arms ammunition and reloading.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You are all missing the most important point:

“The person submitting the notification will be required to retain a copy of the written notification for five years and make such notification available for examination or inspection by ATF at all reasonable times.”

So you are now locked into their system for 5 years and they can examine or inspect at will. If we are reporting to the fire department how is the atf going to know to “inspect” us.

FWIW, a good friend just retired from our FD as a Captain and I asked him about powders, primers and ammo. He said it was no big deal. They hear ammo popping off all the time in fires and no one he knew had ever been hurt. He told me if the fire lites off the powder it just burns hot and fast then it’s over.

The atf estimate of 9,674 people is low by a few zeros.
View Quote

Depends on how its stored.   If you do something stupid like put your powder in ammo cans or something else that might allow it to build pressure, it absolutely will explode in a fire.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Your contribution shows this entire thread is based on the false premise that this applies to small arms ammunition and reloading.
View Quote

Perhaps for now.  But what is to prevent said bureaucracy from including such in the next directive after this one is allowed to pass.  It is "death by a thousand cuts".
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#35]
The ATF ruling discussed in the OP's video relates to chapter 555 of the Code of Federal Regulations. That chapter is about explosives. If you read the chapter, it specifically exempts ammunition, smokeless powder and blackpowder in quantities below 50 pounds.

The guy who did the video is wrong and should feel bad. The OP should also feel bad for not checking the information out before sharing.

Damn it people, THINK! Have you ever filled out a form to buy smokeless powder? Has anyone ever said anything to you about storage? Does your local powder seller do anything special with smokeless powder? No. No. No. The proposed rule is adding an annual fire department notification to an initial notification that is already required by law? Do you remember having to notify the fire department of anything? Of course you don't.

This doesn't apply to you. Unless you're in the explosives or pyrotechnics business, of course.

555.141 Exemptions.

(a) General.  Except for the provisions of §§ 555.180 and 555.181, this part does not apply to:

(1) Any aspect of the transportation of explosive materials via railroad, water, highway, or air which is regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation and its agencies, and which pertains to safety. For example, regulations issued by the Department of Transportation addressing the security risk of aliens transporting explosives by commercial motor or railroad carrier from Canada preclude the enforcement of 18 U.S.C. 842(i)(5) against persons shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing explosives incident to and in connection with the commercial transportation of explosives by truck or rail from Canada into the United States. Questions concerning this exception should be directed to ATF's Explosives Industry Program Branch in Washington, DC.

(2) The use of explosive materials in medicines and medicinal agents in the forms prescribed by the official United States Pharmacopeia or the National Formulary. “The United States Pharmacopeia and The National Formulary,” USP and NF Compendia, are available from the United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., 12601 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, Maryland 20852.

(3) The transportation, shipment, receipt, or importation of explosive materials for delivery to any agency of the United States or to any State or its political subdivision.

(4) Small arms ammunition and components of small arms ammunition.

(5) The manufacture under the regulation of the military department of the United States of explosive materials for, or their distribution to or storage or possession by, the military or naval services or other agencies of the United States.

(6) Arsenals, navy yards, depots, or other establishments owned by, or operated by or on behalf of, the United States.

(7) The importation, distribution, and storage of fireworks classified as UN0336, UN0337, UN0431, or UN0432 explosives by the U.S. Department of Transportation at 49 CFR 172.101 and generally known as “consumer fireworks” or “articles pyrotechnic.”

(8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.

(9) Industrial and laboratory chemicals which are intended for use as reagents and which are packaged and shipped pursuant to U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, 49 CFR Parts 100 to 177, which do not require explosives hazard warning labels.

(10) Model rocket motors that meet all of the following criteria—

(i) Consist of ammonium perchlorate composite propellant, black powder, or other similar low explosives;

(ii) Contain no more than 62.5 grams of total propellant weight; and

(iii) Are designed as single-use motors or as reload kits capable of reloading no more than 62.5 grams of propellant into a reusable motor casing.

(b) Black powder.  Except for the provisions applicable to persons required to be licensed under subpart D, this part does not apply with respect to commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not to exceed 50 pounds, percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers, if the black powder is intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or antique devices, as exempted from the term “destructive devices” in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4).
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The ATF ruling discussed in the OP's video relates to chapter 555 of the Code of Federal Regulations. That chapter is about explosives. If you read the chapter, it specifically exempts ammunition, smokeless powder and blackpowder in quantities below 50 pounds.

The guy who did the video is wrong and should feel bad. The OP should also feel bad for not checking the information out  before sharing.

View Quote
You and I posted the same information. But we all know the old saying that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink fits here too. Some are going to believe all the "Chicken Little" videos versus what the regulations and proposed rules state.

I just realized that the video was put out by the head Chicken Little from Guns and Gadgets. I refuse to watch any of his videos.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You and I posted the same information. But we all know the old saying that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink fits here too. Some are going to believe all the "Chicken Little" videos versus what the regulations and proposed rules state.

I just realized that the video was put out by the head Chicken Little from Guns and Gadgets. I refuse to watch any of his videos.
View Quote

There's a lot of Youtube content creators whose information is completely untrustworthy and yet people still eat their shit up.

I learned valuable lesson in News 101 class: "If your mother says, 'I love you.' CHECK IT OUT!" Don't believe anything at face value.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I never watched the video, I went straight to the text document.

I did thoroughly read and search the text of the BATFE document.  

I asked if there were any small arms ammunition and reloading exceptions.

Once the additional chapters were made available that the exception for reloaders was evident.  

Thanks again for pointing it out.

Perhaps someone with a Youtube account should post a comment on the video pointing out the fallacy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Once the additional chapters were made available that the exception for reloaders was evident.  

Perhaps someone with a Youtube account should post a comment on the video pointing out the fallacy.
View Quote

As a general rule, Youtube videos related to political developments in our space should be avoided at all costs, and treated with the disdain of a revenue generating (I.e hysteria) motivated disinformation campaign.   I'm not kidding - they are almost never right, and disinformation create a big mess pretty much every time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As a general rule, youtube videos related to political developments in our space should be avoided at all costs, and treated with the disdane of a revenue generating (I.e hyateria) motivated disinformation campagn.   I'm not kidding - they are almost never right, and disinformatin create bugesses pretty much every time.
View Quote
Especially any video put out by Chicken Little from Guns and Gadgets. He is one of the worst when it comes to hyping and sensationalizing everything just to get people to watch his videos.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did and credited arfcom for the answer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Gene15644 (on another forum) posted the following concerning this issue. He stated that he checked BATF&E regs on smokeless powder. As of Sept 4, 2023 this is what was quoted . . .

"Is smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition subject to the explosives storage requirements?

"Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555. Packaging that readily identifies the smokeless powder as being designed for use in small arms ammunition may help in determining whether it is entitled to the exemption. Smokeless powder designed for use other than in small arms ammunition, and explosive products such as squibs, fireworks, theatrical special effects, or other articles that may contain smokeless powders, are regulated and must be stored pursuant to the regulations at 27 CFR 555, Subpart K   Storage.

It should be noted that persons engaged in the business of importing or manufacturing smokeless powder designed for any use must have a federal explosives license. Further, importers of smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition must also possess an ATF firearms importers license (Type 08 or 11); must register with ATF under the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act; and must submit (to ATF) and receive an approved ATF Form 6   part I (5330.3A), Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms Ammunition and Implements of War.

Last Reviewed October 4, 2018"

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm at a loss as to how the federal government requires you to notify a local (non-federal) enforcement authority.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  I'm at a loss as to how the federal government requires you to notify a local (non-federal) enforcement authority.
View Quote

Every time you buy two handguns at once from your local FFL they have to notify the local CLEO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm at a loss as to how the federal government requires you to notify a local (non-federal) enforcement authority.
View Quote
That is part of the agreement you make when you apply for and the ATF issues an explosives license. And you also agree to proper storage when you apply and are issued an explosives license. It really is no different than applying for a FFL knowing that you agree to inspections.

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/apply-license
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Damn it people, THINK! Have you ever filled out a form to buy smokeless powder? Has anyone ever said anything to you about storage? Does your local powder seller do anything special with smokeless powder? No. No. No. The proposed rule is adding an annual fire department notification to an initial notification that is already required by law? Do you remember having to notify the fire department of anything? Of course you don't.

View Quote

I have never, ever seen a retailer anywhere with a special 'powder magazine'.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Reloading forum, not GD.

View Quote

There aren't any, which is why people need to stop spreading this nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Back before 2010ish I bought a lot of powder and primers, many 50LB powder boxes and 50K primer boxes, 250LBs and 400K++ primers

I asked a high up person in fed security (Won't say where) how I could buy so much and not even get a call. Do they even know?
He smiled and said, we know. So I asked how I never heard anything he smiled again and said, we know and we know what you do and that you are OK because your name does not start with (makes gargling sound).

Now, this is my point so pay attention:
That was when Islamic terrorism was the focus of security.
That is not what the Feds consider the current threat.
Conservative white males are who feds are currently focusing on

They are looking at you and me like the used to look at Achmed and Muhammad.

He also said in spite of what the laws stated they profile. Do you really think they won't profile you and me?
Really? So, you found a clause that technically does not include smokeless powder and when you point that out they will what, apologize and put your stuff back?
Really?
I am not saying it is going to happen at this point but you should consider this is a possibility for the future
Elections have results
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I glanced through it and see a lot of talk about explosives but nothing

about smokeless powder.

I guess primers would fall into the explosives catagory, but smokeless powder?
View Quote

Smokeless powder is categorized as a 1.3 explosive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top