Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How did that work out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ll let the forum know how this works out.  Should be here Monday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/9980A4ED-A43B-4FEA-B354-3B61ABEAED34_png-1729129.JPG

How did that work out?

Yeas do tell.
I have that Frankinbeans vibratory tube filler.
It seems to work ok but a better tool would be nice.

As far as Worth it, I have the RCBS automatic case trimmer with the station on the end that I put deburing tools and primer crimp removal bits on.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The Giraud trimmer is one of those miraculous devices that works better than advertised. Caliber swaps are very easy. The first time I used it, i went wow, why did I wait this long?

Dillon 1050 is another. Just a delight to load on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Giraud trimmer is one of those miraculous devices that works better than advertised. Caliber swaps are very easy. The first time I used it, i went wow, why did I wait this long?

Dillon 1050 is another. Just a delight to load on.
View Quote

Been lusting after a super 1050 or years.
My progressive loading is done on an old rcbs ammomaster.
Or as I call it, "the run out special".
I do better ammo on a Redding boss and Lee classic cast.
I'll get one someday.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeas do tell.

As far as Worth it, I have the RCBS automatic case trimmer with the station on the end that I put deburing tools and primer crimp removal bits on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/9980A4ED-A43B-4FEA-B354-3B61ABEAED34_png-1729129.JPG

How did that work out?

Yeas do tell.

Sadly, my Primafill is in the USPS black hole somewhere.  Tracking has it in Denver at least.  For 6 days, lol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sadly, my Primafill is in the USPS black hole somewhere.  Tracking has it in Denver at least.  For 6 days, lol.
View Quote

Bummer.
I have a Pietta 58 stainless 12" barrel off gunjoker that is somewhere as well.
No delivery here.
Gotta work all week.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I am old and old school with an old single stage press. The one reloading item/tool I cannot do without is my RCBS check weights. I piked them up almost as an afterthought at the store, and they rock, especially since I have to put up and take down my scale every time, no dedicated afe space for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I got so excited when I saw this, but when I saw the price.
View Quote

It's definitely a buy once cry once option.

I regularly do 2-3k round batches and got tired of checking them a couple at a time.

I absolutely love the block.

The cool think about the 223/300 blocks is that you can expand them in groups of ten.

I plan to do groups of 30 so I can throw all 30 rounds in the case gauge, check them all, then load them all into their box (I use repack boxes). Of course it's still fast to do 10 at a time, but would be nice to be able to group them by 30.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I really love my annie induction annealer. I got the water cooled coil and water recirculation kit with it.
It is definitely buy once cry once. But I love it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Satern powder funnels.

View Quote

I like them also,and the Giraud
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For me, it's the Giraud trimmer.  

[/color]
View Quote
While I only have the Tri Way from them, I can't imagine how I did any bulk reloading without it. I put it off for a long time and it was absolutely worth it. I probably should buy the full sized trimmer at some point.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Case kicker option for the RCBS Rockchucker press. It saves you a bunch of time for any jobs you are doing on a single stage press. RCBS no longer sells the kit but will sell you the parts if you call them.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I also love the Armanov case gauge. I usually do big lots of ammo so it's nice to check all of my pistol rounds 100 at a time and my rifle rounds 10 (can scale to as many as you want) at a time. Can also easily check the primers. Really speeds up the QC checks, which I absolutely never skip.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20200722_200914_jpg-1730889.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20200722_200930_jpg-1730898.JPG

View Quote

@drfroglegs

I keep going back to this item even with the current cost.

How would you compare the tolerance of this tool compared to the single stainless steel gauge?
Identical, close enough?
Although the single item is slow, it has been flawless for me in that if it fits its a guarantee to work in my firearm.

I read a couple of complains with regards to the 9mm that some holes are not properly sized.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@drfroglegs

I keep going back to this item even with the current cost.

How would you compare the tolerance of this tool compared to the single stainless steel gauge?
Identical, close enough?
Although the single item is slow, it has been flawless for me in that if it fits its a guarantee to work in my firearm.

I read a couple of complains with regards to the 9mm that some holes are not properly sized.
View Quote

All of my gauge from them have been flawless for me. If something fails in one hole, it fails in all of them.

I don't have another 9mm gauge so I can't compare to those.

I can compare the 223 and the 300 blk though.

Every round that fails in the armanov gauge also fails in my slot gauges.

I trust the slot gauges more than anything so my typical procedure is to bulk check everything and then anything that fails I sit it to the side and do a more thorough check with the slot gauge to see what the issue is.

It's rare to even have one that fails, but it's a nice catch when you do. The other main benefit is checking the primers for high primers, smushed ones, or even the random sideways one.

I can check 1k rounds of 223 in about 30min or so and have full confidence that the rounds will chamber and the primers are perfect. I think that peace of mind is worth the price tag.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I upgraded my 650 with roller cams/follower cam depending on who sells it. Makes it so smooth. Also the plastic ball.  No spilling powder. Makes the 650 less quirky
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Santa brought this the other day, 2 weeks in shipping.
I don’t dare go to the loading area with it yet or I’ll be there for hours.    I let everyone know my impressions of it after Christmas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only bad thing I've heard about them is the noise of the cutter + the shop vac.  Noise is BAD.

Is the tool worth the cost?
View Quote
I wear earpro when running my RT1200

Love it.

Gonna buy a 1500 so I'll have dedicated prep tool holders and not switching out  between 223 and 308
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Hopefully a low cost item is not off topic. But 2 1/2 quart paint buckets from Home Depot are one of the most useful items I have.  They are great for sorting brass be they dirty/clean, primed/unprimed, different head stamps or different calibers.  A half dozen will cost less then $20 and you'll use them almost every time.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hopefully a low cost item is not off topic. But 2 1/2 quart paint buckets from Home Depot are one of the most useful items I have.  They are great for sorting brass be they dirty/clean, primed/unprimed, different head stamps or different calibers.  A half dozen will cost less then $20 and you'll use them almost every time.
View Quote

Not off-topic, at all.  Thank goodness not everything costs multi-$k.

I have a different way to do that.  I buy biscotti at COSTCO.  They come in large, wide-mouth, rectangular, clear plastic containers - perfect for brass once the cookies are gone.  The cookies ain't bad, either.

I think the key to the topic is this - is it worth its price; has it earned its place on your reloading bench.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/47e4327e-bc2c-4868-aa0b-cbdb606d2e29/svn/natural-hdx-paint-buckets-05m3hdx-64_145.jpg
View Quote

My wife worked in a deli/bakery for a few years.  Got stocked up on tons of small buckets similar to that & larger 5 gallon buckets too.  They do come in handy for lots of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ooh I'm interested. My frankford arsenal works okay. Not my favorite but faster than one at a time.

@dvcer have an update?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooh I'm interested. My frankford arsenal works okay. Not my favorite but faster than one at a time.

@dvcer have an update?

I couldn’t wait till it was time to reload, so I went out and grabbed a box of cci spp.  They ran thru the Primafill like butter, none flipped.
Need more testing, but I’m happy.  Dillon primer tube fit perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#22]
DILLON RT1200 trimmer

NOE and ARSENAL molds

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

After trimming/sizing with the Dillon in my next station I have a FL resizing die to get the neck back to normal.

Then all the cases go in the wet tumbler and the stainless pins remove all the burrs on the case neck. No need for a chamfer.

When loading I use the Lyman M-Die and have no issues loading the bullet, then I use the Lee factory crimp die.
View Quote

I been debating this, but was thinking this adds an additional stress to the brass as the Dillon already full length sizes right? Why not just neck size? Inconsistency? I'm a newbie, so thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Giraud trimmer is ridiculously fast

Hornady swaging kit for the LNL AP is also ridiculously fast

Hundo gages from Shockbottle so I can check every single round. This is the last step that finds the oddball .380 that has slipped through.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#25]
shockbottle gauge for 9mm. Why did I wait so long?

Fast and effective

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At risk of going off-topic in my own thread, let me ask some questions.

To those that own an Auto Trickler and the related A&D Fx120i, was it worth it or was it a "vanity" purchase?

To those that own an automatic annealer, was it worth it or was it also a "vanity" purchase?
View Quote

Worth it when you do a large number of cases in one sitting. I now anneal after every firing where I didn't before. It's just so easy to decap, wet tumble and then anneal before the other processes are performed.

Mine's a DIY machine and have to admit a little vanity applies because of that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Worth it when you do a large number of cases in one sitting. I now anneal after every firing where I didn't before. It's just so easy to decap, wet tumble and then anneal before the other processes are performed.

Mine's a DIY machine and have to admit a little vanity applies because of that.
View Quote

LOL, or is that pride?  

An auto-annealer that you feed and forget might be nice.  I can't imagine handling cases one at a time to anneal them.  Same applies to the Auto-Trickler and powder charges.  

Now, if there was a demonstrable benefit,...  No, no, no,... don't go there.

Good tools are nice to have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
One "tool" I purchased recently was a ShotMarker system (from the people who make the AutoTrickler).

For every shot fired, it gives me a record of point of impact (for group size/accuracy/drop) and velocities at the target.  Coupled with a chronograph near the firing line, I get accuracy data and ballistic coefficient for every shot fired.  My home range has 100, 200, 300, 600 and 1,000 yard targets and ShotMarker works with them all.  That's fun to play with.  I am mostly interested in the point of impact for accuracy data but the chronography is fun, too.

This tool allowed me to break the 200 yard barrier for load development testing which was the practical limit for detecting point of impact in real time using my spotting scope.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Dillon RT1500 and my lathe.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad I bought this little inexpensive item.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Giraud is absolutely worth it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  I'm glad I bought this little inexpensive item.
View Quote

Powder Pal - those are definitely a good thing to have.  Since I bought mine, I haven't used any other pan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]
RCBS Powder Dispenser - so old the scale and dispenser are separate units - but still works great.

Casefeeder for my Dillon 550B.

RCBS powered Trim-Pro with three-way cutter head.
Slower than the Giraud or Dillon but no case chamfering/deburring needed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

<snip/quoting hell, sorry>
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<snip/quoting hell, sorry>

So trading that increased cost against the time and accuracy increase it is still a bargain. To ad a caveat to my opinion, I will say it doesn't make sense unless your run ratio tends towards the batch sizes of regular match shooting, volume varmint shooting, etc. It would be a closer call if a loader was only making a couple hundred rounds per year. It still does make load development very easy once the Bluetooth App is used to control charge size increments, so once in possession it does lend itself very well to small batches

Wait, what?  Is this Bluetooth app a v3 thing?

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mo’s micrometer headspace gauge.
Fast accurate headspace measurements to get sizing die set up quickly and to spot-check cases along the way.
It’s not a replacement for a comparator set, but it’s so much more convenient and quick.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/images/products/detail/308HScartgauge.png
View Quote

That's cool.  Where do you get one of those?

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die. Has been a revelation for me with precision rifle rounds. Should have bought one sooner.
View Quote

Have you ever used a Redding Competition Seating die?

I'm curious which one is/works better? or if they are basically the same...

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#37]
My Dillon 1200 trimmer.

Now if I could only find a better/faster/not-one-at-a-time way to swage primer pockets, I'd be golden.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My Dillon 1200 trimmer.

Now if I could only find a better/faster/not-one-at-a-time way to swage primer pockets, I'd be golden.
View Quote

Swage-it
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1050/1100 with a Dillon trimmer on top.
View Quote

Yeah I have an 1100 on order, grabbing 2 toolheads, one for the normal dies, one for brass prep.  It's going to go so much faster once things get here
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Swage-it
View Quote
Heard lots of mixed reviews on them and voiding Dillon's warranty is slightly troublesome for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1050/1100 with a Dillon trimmer on top.
View Quote
Been thinking about it, but never seen a used one for sale, and $2000 for the press is just a bit nuts to me, for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Have you ever used a Redding Competition Seating die?

I'm curious which one is/works better? or if they are basically the same...

Thanks,

-Masta
View Quote

I've used both and strongly prefer the Forster.  Even with the non-compressed loads I use, the Redding stem belled, galling the sliding sleeve after a couple thousand rounds; I've done tens of thousands with the Forster and had no issues.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#44]
@HOSER - My Redding is fine after many thousands (~10k) of rounds.  Buy which ever suits your fancy (or is available).  

@WIZZO_ARAKM14 - I can't imagine buying a 1050.  I just don't shoot enough to justify the purchase cost and the cost for all the tool heads I'd need.  If you do enough to justify it, go for it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#45]
For me it's my press.  Went with a Mark 7 Revolution last year when my Dillon went down.  There is something magical about starting the machine, and just watching it run about 1500 rounds in an hour.  My job is pretty much just clearing malfunctions.  

My rollsizer from rollsizer.com is also worth its weight in gold.  

And Redding Imperial Sizing Wax.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I couldn’t wait till it was time to reload, so I went out and grabbed a box of cci spp.  They ran thru the Primafill like butter, none flipped.
Need more testing, but I’m happy.  Dillon primer tube fit perfectly.
View Quote

I'm curious how it works with large primers.  I have one of these https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-primer-pro-collator  and it has been perfect once I wiped down the internal surfaces with pledge, but it is only for small primers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I take all my 5.56 / 7.62 brass to my buddies house to trim on his Dillon.   Just dump it in the feeder and start pulling the handle.  It's amazing.  It takes me forever to trim brass using my RCBS trimmer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I agree with OP, I just use a drill set up trimmer as part of the process and be done with it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top